PDA

View Full Version : making a ring

Leprechaun
09-26-2003, 02:53 PM
How could i make a ring that looks like a metal bar. Kind of like the look of an o ring.
thanks

WizCraker
09-27-2003, 12:46 AM
Can you elaborate?

toby
09-27-2003, 01:07 AM
Try to make it before you ask us for help, especially something that simple.

freedik
09-27-2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by toby
Try to make it before you ask us for help, especially something that simple.

Word to that, lol.

BUT... I actually tried to make one myself in modeller now, and it really wasnt as simple as i thought.
Here's how I did it: made a disc(cylinder), deleted those n-point polys at the ends, then flipped polys cause they will be inside. Copied to another layer and smoothshifted to outer surface. then cut/paste back to first layer. Finally merge points to make whole thing solid.

Not too straightforward huh? :)

Oh and if you need a solid cylinder, there's a command "Disc" which makes it instantly :D

SLAYER
09-27-2003, 09:31 AM
If you have Ikedas Power Tools (which are free), this could be done in three steps:

1. Create disk to desired ring size.
2. bevel inwards from the view normal to the disk polys (>4) to get top and bottom.
3. Use Ikedas connect on those same two beveled polys.

Done.

Connect will merge these two together, thus deleting them and merging the points that they had.

Use knife or whatever if you need the ring to have sharper edges.

papou
09-27-2003, 12:03 PM
c'mon, too much way to do that...

Leprechaun
09-27-2003, 02:23 PM
why would u actually say "try before u ask, especially something that simple". I obviously tried to make it, and couldnt, hence the reason i asked. Also, when i tried it, my rings didnt come out round i got a ring but it wasnt like an o-ring look. My rings came out round but with flat top.

toby
09-27-2003, 02:42 PM
it wasn't obvious, you didn't tell us what went wrong.

what about the 'toroid' tool? rail extrude? subpatches? bend? manual?

freedik
09-27-2003, 03:09 PM
Hmh, did you try any of the ways we suggested? I don't think so. Ya I know there are some ppl out there who just registered to flame other ppl but you just gotta live with it. Their reasons are different but who knows....

Willax
09-29-2003, 12:28 AM
Easiest way

1. make disc in front/back view. Do not center it, but make it in the +x axis.

2. Select lathe tool and in the front/back view slide lathe tool down y axis

There you go, perfect ring

mattclary
09-29-2003, 06:48 AM
Lathe a rectangle. It will give you a flat ring like a washer.

Post a pic of what you hope to emulate and possibly what you've actually done, we will be better able to assist you.

VirtualFM
09-29-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by freedik
Here's how I did it: made a disc(cylinder), deleted those n-point polys at the ends, then flipped polys cause they will be inside. Copied to another layer and smoothshifted to outer surface. then cut/paste back to first layer. Finally merge points to make whole thing solid.

Not too straightforward huh? :)

What about this:
1-Make a disk (no depth)
2-bevel (just the inset)
3-delete the inner poly
4-extrude

As of the original poster, I don't understand what he wants... Don-t want a flat top?! Bevel a few times. Or do what mattclary sugested and then press TAB.

Leprechaun
09-29-2003, 04:19 PM
virtual thats what i did first, before i asked teh question. but it gives u a flat side instead of rounded and when i beveled it something weird happend. I already finished what i was going to do with it. But i used the flatend one. It turned out to look better then the rounded one.
thanks anyways...this is teh pic of what i was usign it for, the ring in the silver part kind of bordering the outside rim of the main part of the ship/