PDA

View Full Version : modo to lightwave

bpritchard
12-28-2010, 12:42 PM
Hey lightwavers! I have a quick question i've been trying to resolve for a few days now.

We are currently working on a video that i'm doing entirely in LW, but one of my artists is modeling in Modo. Now i know modo has a save as Lightwave feature which works really well, but MOST of the shader info isn't coming over... basically we have various textures being applied in modo (diffuse, displacement, normal, etc)... but the lwo file is ONLY saving the diffuse.

Any of you modo users out there know of anything in modo that we can use to bring the model into Layout intact? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Bryan

bpritchard
12-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Yeah so far that has been the gist of it. A quick (total hackery) workaround we've ran across was to make all the textures diffuse image maps in modo, which will come into the colour channel in LW as layers. Then u can reassign at will... kinda adds a step or 6.. depending. ;)

Greenlaw
12-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Here's a 'hacky' way to do it. Open a .lwo object in Modeler that has the original surfaces applied (including nodes). Cut the object and paste it into a higher layer. Next, open the Modo exported .lwo. Copy and paste that object into the first layer of the original .lwo. Delete the original object in the upper layer and save the object. The Modo .lwo should now have the original surfaces (with nodes, etc.)

This assumes you haven't changed surface names in Modo of course.

Another workaround is to open the original and Modo object in Modeler and then copy and paste the surfaces manually. This obviously takes more effort but unless you have a ton of surfaces in the object, the process should got quickly.

G.

Captain Obvious
12-28-2010, 06:32 PM
A better way of copying surfaces would be to load up the object in Layout, and then right-click on the object name in the surface editor, and do "save library".

Then you replace the object, and do the same thing but instead choose "load by name".

The first step will create a file with all the surfaces of the object. The second step will load all the settings back in, by surface name.

This is by far the easiest way to transfer multiple surface settings between object revisions in Lightwave. Displacement settings are stored in the scene file anyway, so replacing the object shouldn't have any effect on that.

akademus
12-28-2010, 09:39 PM
All these years and now you're telling me that!?

Well, thanks anyhow :D

A better way of copying surfaces would be to load up the object in Layout, and then right-click on the object name in the surface editor, and do "save library".

Then you replace the object, and do the same thing but instead choose "load by name".

The first step will create a file with all the surfaces of the object. The second step will load all the settings back in, by surface name.

This is by far the easiest way to transfer multiple surface settings between object revisions in Lightwave. Displacement settings are stored in the scene file anyway, so replacing the object shouldn't have any effect on that.

Greenlaw
12-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Whuzzat? That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing that.

G.

Cageman
12-29-2010, 04:54 AM

Ahhh... the only time I've used Library was when I was transfering Blender fluids over to LW. Never actually thought about it much since then and what it is designed to do. Thanks a TON for that tip, Capt!

:)

dwburman
12-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Well, Thank you Captain Obvious.

bpritchard
12-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies! :) Its all quite helpful.