PDA

View Full Version : passport rendermanagement

Pages : [1] 2

geo_n
12-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Matt updated passport rendermanagement to work with lw 9.6.
Anyone interested? He needs permission from the developer to release it but didn't get a reply yet. Its opensource now and will be a big boost to lw. Maybe someone can get in touch with Jeremy to ask if its ok to release.

Phil
12-27-2010, 03:01 AM
What's open source? Passport for LW 3D doesn't appear to be opensourced based on http://www.lwpassport.com/, but it's also been useless for any version of LW after 9.3.1

The only email address for Jezza that know of is the one on that web site : jezza at lwidof DOT net

geo_n
12-27-2010, 03:24 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1093411&postcount=49

faulknermano
12-27-2010, 03:33 AM
I also haven't been able to get in touch with Jezza for some time now. He's got another address over at hotmail (based from the lscript mailing list: jeremyhardin at hot mail). He's also got a blog that may be used to contact him jezzahardin.wordpress.com/ though he's not updated it for quite some time now, so I don't know.

Apparently, Matt's got Passport working for 9.6.1, and it had to do with scene file format changes that happened with 9.6. I thought, however, Matt had gotten it working around six months ago.

Phil
12-27-2010, 04:16 AM
I also haven't been able to get in touch with Jezza for some time now. He's got another address over at hotmail (based from the lscript mailing list: jeremyhardin at hot mail). He's also got a blog that may be used to contact him jezzahardin.wordpress.com/ though he's not updated it for quite some time now, so I don't know.

Apparently, Matt's got Passport working for 9.6.1, and it had to do with scene file format changes that happened with 9.6. I thought, however, Matt had gotten it working around six months ago.

Any news of Janus under Mac LW? :devil:

faulknermano
12-27-2010, 03:54 PM
:) I'd probably need to get my own dedicated Mac system first, instead of time-sharing it with my wife. Do you have a spare lying around? ;)

Matt
12-27-2010, 04:40 PM
FYI: Have just updated this to work with LightWave 10, as there were a few things that needed changing.

GraphXs
12-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Nice! I hope it's open source, maybe he can just give it to the community/newtek for free. That would be a wonderful addition to lightwave.

Matt
12-28-2010, 04:30 AM
Nice work matt. Will this becom part of lw 10 now?

No this is nothing to do with LW10, just a spare time project to get this working.

I'll try Jeremy again to see what he wants to do with this. If this was my own project, you'd all have it now. But it's not, my small patch up is nothing to what must be hundreds of hours work Jeremy must have put into this.

H_Molla
12-28-2010, 09:29 AM
We all hope that he let us use it under LW10 as a new Xmas gift :-D

akademus
12-28-2010, 10:03 AM
IMPLEMENT IT!!!

Jeeza would approve it (hopefully).

Netvudu
12-28-2010, 11:12 AM
wow, thatīs very cool. But indeed, we need Jeremyīs permission to use this.

realgray
12-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Have you tried reaching him through twitter?

http://twitter.com/jezzahardin

mikadit
12-30-2010, 05:00 AM
I'm quite interested in PassPort compatibility with LW 9.6/10. There is a PassPort Communications email too hosted by googlemail.com, practically a gmail account, that I got when PassPort was updated to v1.1.
Hoping that Jezza will be interested.

Thank you Matt!

jeremyhardin
12-30-2010, 06:33 AM
How about a new year present instead?

Matt, could you set up a sourceforge or google code thing so it isn't just being passed around via mailboxes?

I'd update the site to redirect there.

mikadit
12-30-2010, 07:05 AM
How about a new year present instead
Great news in the news!

artstorm
12-30-2010, 07:07 AM

Matt, could you set up a sourceforge or google code thing so it isn't just being passed around via mailboxes?

Jeremy,
That is so awesome of you! :)
And I think using Google Code sounds like an excellent idea for hosting. Using svn and everything. Then if people have an interest to contribute for future versions and improvements, that can be easily managed (I wouldn't mind setting a side some time to contribute in the future if needed to keep it alive).

Phil
12-30-2010, 08:10 AM

Great news! What license is this being made available under? GPL2?

jeremyhardin
12-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Great news! What license is this being made available under? GPL2?

Dunno. Recommendations? What would be the most useful to the community?

GraphXs
12-30-2010, 10:39 AM
WOW! Amazing! Thank you! Hey Matt/Jeremy maybe you can have Newtek just add this as a gift for LW9/10 Users. Maybe Newtek can throw Jeremy something and now include it as apart of LW! (How about the next 5 versions Free for Jeremy!) This is such an amazing community! This is a huge gift, and a big part of what LW was missing. A donation button or something is needed for your kindness! I can't believe I will now/soon have such a robust render pass system!

Happy New Year indeed!

Netvudu
12-30-2010, 10:47 AM
Jezza, you rock...

allabulle
12-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Thank you!

Cloak&Dagger
12-30-2010, 11:20 AM
this is awesome - thanks!

bassmanjam
12-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Wow! Thanks Jeremy. I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside.

lardbros
12-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Holy.... moly!!! Wasn't expecting this in a million years!

Jeremy... is this because you have left Lightwave behind? Or generally because you just don't have the time anymore? Me being nosey, and quite interested! :D

UnCommonGrafx
12-30-2010, 11:50 AM
scene referencing, passes management, dof play abouts....

I'm betting he got tired of trying to create the missing parts of his favorite app and it kept letting him down. Not enough 'deep access' and all... You know, especially as all those other apps already have so much of this readily accessible or buildable. (See Pooby's remarks in the Core section)

Matt
12-30-2010, 11:51 AM

Hey Jezza!

Well, that's very decent of you Sir!

I've never set one up, so let me look into it!

dballesg
12-30-2010, 12:06 PM

Very generous Jeremy. Thank you very much.

Dunno. Recommendations? What would be the most useful to the community?

A LGPL or BSD licenses I think will be the most "liberal" ones if you don't mind someone could copy Passport for other 3D applications.

Hey Jezza!

Well, that's very decent of you Sir!

I've never set one up, so let me look into it!

Hi Matt, for H.O.T Ocean I used google code. I found it quite easy to set it up. And used the Mercurial as a repository. Very easy to use with HG Tortoise.

Anyhow the project will need an owner (or owners) and later you can add Committers so people can contribute creating modifications to the code.

But you can provide the downloads for everyone on it as well, making it easier to manage the distribution for everyone.

David

Matt
12-30-2010, 12:08 PM
Okay, what opensource licensing terms are we going for?

Edit: I had already source forged it, hope that's okay with everyone.

Edit Edit: Okay, stuck a general GNU GPL license on it, only because I needed to put *something* on it. And can change if Jeremy wants something different.

Edit Edit Edit: Just getting the files together and organised now, after another tasty Baileys! :D

artstorm
12-30-2010, 12:32 PM

Edit: I had already source forged it, hope that's okay with everyone.

Edit Edit: Okay, stuck a general GNU GPL license on it, only because I needed to put *something* on it. And can change if Jeremy wants something different.

I was researching licenses sometime ago because I'm going to open source a few projects of mine. And after posting some threads on programming forums and discussing different licenses I decided upon going with GPL when the time comes. So I'm pretty confident you made the right choice as well going with GPL according to the information I came across while comparing, reading and discussing the licenses. :)

And source forge is just as okay.

dballesg
12-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Because Passport is an LScript, and LScript it is quite "propietary" of LightWave I don't think a GPL one will hurt. Be sure it's not one of the viral ones like the GPLv3. Where even your underwear need to be open sourced. :D

Mike Wolf knows a lot about this types of licenses and he can recommend one.

Edit Edit Edit: Just getting the files together and organised now, after another tasty Baileys! :D

Passport and Baileys? Are you sure you aren't doing a commercial for a famous airline? :D

David

geo_n
12-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Thank you very much and Happy New Year! :D

masterchief
12-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Lightwave Passport at sourceforge

http://lw-passport.sourceforge.net/

thank you jeremy, thank you matt...

registered passport when it first came out and special pricing was still available.
peace to all

Cloak&Dagger
12-30-2010, 01:15 PM
is Passport 32-bit only?

Just checked the official site (as mentioned earlier in the thread) and could only see mention of Win32

antsj
12-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks Jeremy for making PassPort available to the users and thank you Matt for working on PassPort to be available via Source Forge.

PassPort is great Christmas extender and welcoming into the New Year of 2011.

Thank you both for the opportunity to have PassPort in LW 10 and hopefully - maybe 9.6. :D

Best you both and Happy New Year,

aj

Matt
12-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Okay, boys and girls, courtesy of the man, the legend, please, put your hands together for Mr. Jeremy Hardin! Whoooohoooooooo!

:)

Project page is here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lw-passport/

Latest files *should* be via svn:
http://lw-passport.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lw-passport/

I hope I set it up right, I uploaded the files via svn, but they didn't appear in the "Files" link, so I uploaded to there too, mirroring the same directory structure.

Can people with Macs please test this, I had to assume the Mac Extension and Prefs files that PassPort scans to get the image savers.

I also changed the code that checks the version number of those files and made it build the string around it, essentially future proofing for when the version number changes. Of course doing that brings risks. But it means noone has to keep bumping the LW version number in the code.

Matt
12-30-2010, 01:32 PM
is Passport 32-bit only?

Just checked the official site (as mentioned earlier in the thread) and could only see mention of Win32

It's an LScript, so it works with everything.

Matt
12-30-2010, 01:32 PM

registered passport when it first came out and special pricing was still available.
peace to all

Sneaky, you went searching before I'd finished creating the page! ;)

Matt
12-30-2010, 01:36 PM
I wish I could change the author on sourceforge to say Jeremy, feels odd with my name next to it!

artstorm
12-30-2010, 01:41 PM
I hope I set it up right, I uploaded the files via svn, but they didn't appear in the "Files" link, so I uploaded to there too, mirroring the same directory structure.

Woohoo Matt and Jeremy. That is awesome! I'm going to have some fun with this right away. Really awesome!

I believe you can in SF set it up so a zip file gets automatically generated for all checked in files which are tagged to a release version, so it'd be a bit more convenient for the user not having to download the files one by one.

I checked out all the files using my Subversion client so I got them all in one sweep, so personally it doesn't matter, but most people I guess don't use SVN.

Cloak&Dagger
12-30-2010, 01:44 PM
It's an LScript, so it works with everything.

Thanks Matt, i was unaware it was LScript!

3DBob
12-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks Matt,

Much needed.

3DBob

lardbros
12-30-2010, 01:50 PM
You can grab a tar gz file from the bottom where it says download GNU tarball!

Great work lads!! I'm very impressed with this, and Jeremy's kindness!!!

Matt
12-30-2010, 01:51 PM
I believe you can in SF set it up so a zip file gets automatically generated for all checked in files which are tagged to a release version

How do you do that? I went looking for that.

3DBob
12-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Oh and Big up to Jeremy,

3DBob

paulhart
12-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Jeremy Hardin, Most gracious thank you, to you, and Matt also. This a thoughtful and wonderful gift to the Lightwave community. I checked the "Donation" button on the Sourceforge location, but it isn't implemented yet. I couldn't afford to buy Passport at full price, despite your fine work and value, but I am intent on making some contribution. Thank you again.
Paul

vink
12-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks Jeremy and Matt :)
NT should be ashamed that we had to wait for someone else's generosity ;)

Lewis
12-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Excellent stuff , thanks to both of you for this nice NY gift :).

H_Molla
12-30-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks Jeremy, Wish you a happy New Year..
Matte, thanks for everything & thanks for trying to reach him & putting everything..

OnlineRender
12-30-2010, 02:25 PM
I wish I could change the author on sourceforge to say Jeremy, feels odd with my name next to it!

should set up a development group

www.3djunkies.net

more control

-Set up a group
Upload/Download Files
Blog
Discussion
Images
networking

www.3djunkies.net . TRY IT

Pluggin this away !

nickdigital
12-30-2010, 02:44 PM
A big thank you to Matt and Jeremy. :thumbsup: :bowdown:

I'm so happy to see this updated.:dance:

Chris S. (Fez)
12-30-2010, 02:49 PM
Cool. I look forward to trying it out on my LW machine later this evening. Newtek should get the source code for Surpasses too.

The download just opens a text file.

Do I just a) save it as .ls file, b) add to my lscript directory and c) load it in Layout?

Doh. Nevermind, see the rest of the files.

artstorm
12-30-2010, 02:53 PM
How do you do that? I went looking for that.

My bad, sorry. SF don't have such an automatic function. Some systems do, but it makes sense that SF don't, having in mind the wide variety of projects and coding languages hosted there.

So one has to add the release versions manually like you did, or script it. I guess manually works fine though, as it's far from a daily chore. :)

dballesg
12-30-2010, 02:55 PM
is Passport 32-bit only?

It's an LScript so it must work on 64 bits and Mac as well.

@Matt There is an uncompiled version of the PassPort_ComRing_Functions.lsc???

Thanks for adapt it to work with LW 10 Matt. And again thanks to Jeremy for such a great donation to the community.

David

Matt
12-30-2010, 03:24 PM
@Matt There is an uncompiled version of the PassPort_ComRing_Functions.lsc???

Yes, it's in the Source folder in PassPort_Scripting

Cageman
12-30-2010, 04:35 PM

peace to all

Not to sound ungreatfull, but that has to be the most messed up release of any type of software. Why not upload a blody .zip or .rar?

funk
12-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Not to sound ungreatfull, but that has to be the most messed up release of any type of software. Why not upload a blody .zip or .rar?

A zipped version should be uploaded but you can go to the svn pages for now ( http://lw-passport.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lw-passport/ ) and click on the last link "Download Gnu Tarball"

Thank you Jeremy and Matt!

Cageman
12-30-2010, 05:41 PM
In the light of PassPort now being a free tool, I just wanted to remind everyone of my PassPort videotutorial I did waaaay back when PassPort was orignialy released.

Hopefully it will help many of you to hit the ground running as a complement to the actual documentation of PassPort.

LINK! (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_PassPort_Introduction)

Cheers!

paulhart
12-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Anybody else have any crash difficulty. I had placed all of the downloaded files in a folder, which I then placed in my "extra" plugins folder, along with a bunch of others that I have been checking with the migration to Lightwave 10. Layout and Modeler wouldn't start up. I thought something else was wrong, but eventually found out that if I removed the folder, Lightwave would start up. I then placed the folder back in the plugins folder with Layout running, scan the folder, immediate "crash" disappearance of Layout. Remove the folder, it runs fine, put the folder in place and Layout and Modeler won't run. Tried several times, same response. Disappointed for the moment, not sure what I might do differently, or what needs to be changed.

BigHache
12-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Thank you guys! Def downloading.

evenflcw
12-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks Jeremy and Matt. This is of course very interesting from an lscripter pov aswell. Seeing how a behemoth lscript project such as this was tackled. Just typing the code must have taken ages, let alone the design, testing, bughunting, repairs, additions etc.

Thanks again. Happy New Year everyone!

geo_n
12-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Okay, boys and girls, courtesy of the man, the legend, please, put your hands together for Mr. Jeremy Hardin! Whoooohoooooooo!

Project page is here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lw-passport/

Latest files *should* be via svn:

Can people with Macs please test this, I had to assume the Mac Extension and Prefs files that PassPort scans to get the image savers.

I also changed the code that checks the version number of those files and made it build the string around it, essentially future proofing for when the version number changes. Of course doing that brings risks. But it means noone has to keep bumping the LW version number in the code.

Should be a sticky. :D
So I put all files to designated folders similar to the one on the link?

or just the tar file will do?

Phil
12-31-2010, 05:52 AM
Under Mac LW 9.6, I get an error where adding the main MC.ls plugin prompts for :

@passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls

Even navigating through the file chooser to select that, I get an error then that no plugins could be found.

This isn't seen under LW10 when adding the plugin, but does then happen when the user tries to launch the plugin - at which point the user, having selected that file, is given an error :

Could not create data object for PassPort_MC plug-in

Now if I remove the @ symbols from the "" file references in those @insert statements, I can skip those errors, but get :

Line 416, illegal arithmetic operation on data type

when I double click to open the UI

Line 416 seems to set :

compiled = 1;

which is not defined by a var statement. Nonetheless, I don't understand what the error is about - even adding 'var compiled;' to the script doesn't resolve this.

dee
12-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Thanks for this and thank you Cageman for the tut. :thumbsup:

vink
12-31-2010, 08:30 AM
on lw 10 x64 when i try open passport preferences i got this error:

"line 1550, invalid argument 3 type to ctlpopup() ((did you misspell the variable name?))"

-EsHrA-
12-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks for sharing!
An excellent gift!

mlon

Matt
12-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Under Mac LW 9.6, I get an error where adding the main MC.ls plugin prompts for :

@passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls

Even navigating through the file chooser to select that, I get an error then that no plugins could be found.

This isn't seen under LW10 when adding the plugin, but does then happen when the user tries to launch the plugin - at which point the user, having selected that file, is given an error :

Could not create data object for PassPort_MC plug-in

Now if I remove the @ symbols from the "" file references in those @insert statements, Get skip those errors, but get :

Line 416 seems to set :

compiled = 1;

which is not defined by a var statement. Nonetheless, I don't understand what the error is about - even adding 'var compiled;' to the script doesn't resolve this.

Phil, can you do something for me. Go to where your preferences are stored and tell me the filenames for the extension cache (if you're using LW10) and the extensions config files.

Matt
12-31-2010, 10:09 AM
on lw 10 x64 when i try open passport preferences i got this error:

"line 1550, invalid argument 3 type to ctlpopup() ((did you misspell the variable name?))"

Are you on a Mac too?

This could be related to the same issue Phil is having.

Matt
12-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Anybody else have any crash difficulty. I had placed all of the downloaded files in a folder, which I then placed in my "extra" plugins folder, along with a bunch of others that I have been checking with the migration to Lightwave 10. Layout and Modeler wouldn't start up. I thought something else was wrong, but eventually found out that if I removed the folder, Lightwave would start up. I then placed the folder back in the plugins folder with Layout running, scan the folder, immediate "crash" disappearance of Layout. Remove the folder, it runs fine, put the folder in place and Layout and Modeler won't run. Tried several times, same response. Disappointed for the moment, not sure what I might do differently, or what needs to be changed.

Interesting, this is what used to happen with the original code of Jeremy's in 9.6, it would just crash Layout on startup. I'm pretty sure I fixed this, as I've had it running fine in 9.6 and 10.

What version of LW are you using and are you Mac / PC?

Matt
12-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Just a note about the @insert commands.

If you are having issues with this, as it could be people are using it with a version of LW before the relative path command came in.

Open up 'PassPort_MC.ls'

And change these lines:

// Inserts other functions ...
@if platform == MACINTOSH
//@insert "Macintosh HD:Users:jezza:Documents:Projects:Lscript:passEdit or:0050:passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls"
//@insert "Macintosh HD:Users:jezza:Documents:Projects:Lscript:passEdit or:0050:passEditor_render_Subfuncs.ls"
//@insert "Macintosh HD:Users:jezza:Documents:Projects:Lscript:passEdit or:0050:passEditor_sceneGen_Subfuncs.ls"
//@insert "Macintosh HD:Users:jezza:Documents:Projects:Lscript:passEdit or:0050:passEditor_sceneParse_Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "@passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "@passEditor_render_Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "@passEditor_sceneGen_Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "@passEditor_sceneParse_Subfuncs.ls"
@end
@if platform == MACUB
//@insert "/Users/jezza/Documents/Projects/Lscript/passEditor/0050/passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls"
//@insert "/Users/jezza/Documents/Projects/Lscript/passEditor/0050/passEditor_render_Subfuncs.ls"
//@insert "/Users/jezza/Documents/Projects/Lscript/passEditor/0050/passEditor_sceneGen_Subfuncs.ls"
//@insert "/Users/jezza/Documents/Projects/Lscript/passEditor/0050/passEditor_sceneParse_Subfuncs.ls"
@end
@if platform == INTEL
//@insert "C:/Users/Matt/Desktop/LightWave10_64/support/plugins/custom/PassPort/passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls"
//@insert "C:/Users/Matt/Desktop/LightWave10_64/support/plugins/custom/PassPort/passEditor_render_Subfuncs.ls"
//@insert "C:/Users/Matt/Desktop/LightWave10_64/support/plugins/custom/PassPort/passEditor_sceneGen_Subfuncs.ls"
//@insert "C:/Users/Matt/Desktop/LightWave10_64/support/plugins/custom/PassPort/passEditor_sceneParse_Subfuncs.ls"
@end

To:

@insert "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL:passEditor_Interface _Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL:passEditor_render_Su bfuncs.ls"
@insert "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL:passEditor_sceneGen_ Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL:passEditor_scenePars e_Subfuncs.ls"
@end
@if platform == MACUB
@insert "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL/passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL/passEditor_render_Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL/passEditor_sceneGen_Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL/passEditor_sceneParse_Subfuncs.ls"
@end
@if platform == INTEL
@end

Obviously changing "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL" to the path to where PassPort is located in YOUR LightWave install.

Make sure you use forward slashes / and not backward slashes \ for the folder separators for Intel and MacUB paths.

The @insert "@relative_path/my_script.ls" command should look relatively to the script calling these functions, but could cause issues on older versions of LW where it is not implemented.

Phil
12-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Phil, can you do something for me. Go to where your preferences are stored and tell me the filenames for the extension cache (if you're using LW10) and the extensions config files.

-rw-r--r-- 1 phil staff 213 31 Dec 13:58 Extension Cache
[email protected] 1 phil staff 527980 31 Dec 14:22 Extensions 10

Matt
12-31-2010, 10:27 AM
Another note:

If you try compiling this script, there is a bug in the @insert command which will cause the error "Can't create data object". As well as not embedding TGAs. These have now been fixed, but is not present in LW10.

To get it to compile (although not much need for you to do so) you will have to merge all the source files into 'PassPort_MC.ls' and ensure the TGA files are located with the script.

Matt
12-31-2010, 10:30 AM
-rw-r--r-- 1 phil staff 213 31 Dec 13:58 Extension Cache
[email protected] 1 phil staff 527980 31 Dec 14:22 Extensions 10

Okay, those names are fine in the source. Try editing the pathnames on the @insert commands to the full location on your install, as mentioned above.

Phil
12-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Hmm. I tried editing the paths directly and now get an error :

Can't locate 'LWEXT9.6.cfg' file

under LW 9.6.

Under LW10, I get the aforementioned illegal arithmetic error reported.

evenflcw
12-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for this and thank you Cageman for the tut. :thumbsup:

They are very helpful indeed for understanding Passport and why you would want to break something into passes. Thanks again!

paulhart
12-31-2010, 12:42 PM
What version of LW are you using and are you Mac / PC?
Hello Matt, I have migrated entirely to Lightwave 10, including moving all plugins from previous versions. I no longer have 9.6.1 installed. I know, a bit risky, but I was/am hopeful about Lightwave 10, build Gold. So far, all of my other plugins appear to work fine. I am running a PC, 4gs of RAM, video drivers current. It crashes out without any content present. As stated, I couldn't even start up Layout with the folder present. I even went in and pulled the .cfg files, re-installed Lightwave. Later I put the configs back, as they weren't the problem. As stated, I even got Layout running with the folder, went "behind it's back" and put the folder in the plugins folder and as soon as I asked it to scan the folder, crash... it disappears. I don't know if there is a log I could send to you. Thank you for your efforts on this and all other aspects of Lightwave. I welcome your aesthetic contributions.
Paul

faulknermano
12-31-2010, 01:13 PM
The @insert "@relative_path/my_script.ls" command should look relatively to the script calling these functions, but could cause issues on older versions of LW where it is not implemented.

Hi Matt, where is this feature documented? I've gone through the newest release notes (LW10) and I can't find it anywhere. It seems only to work with LW10 (maybe 9.6.1, but I don't know that because I don't have that installed).

faulknermano
12-31-2010, 01:25 PM
Now if I remove the @ symbols from the "" file references in those @insert statements, I can skip those errors, but get :

Line 416 seems to set :

compiled = 1;

No, that isn't the one. LScript's line counter isn't accurate when a script size exceeds a certain number of lines. It will give you a number several lines ahead. This is most likely the problem code:

this_script = split(SCRIPTID);
this_script_path = this_script[1] + this_script[2];

... which probably means that the SCRIPTID (the location of the script file) is not complete. I don't get the error so you probably need to test your this_script (and this_script[1] and this_script[2]) variable to determine why it is failing. It's most likely because at least one of these variables is a nil, hence the arithmetic (add) error.

faulknermano
12-31-2010, 01:32 PM
Hmm. I tried editing the paths directly and now get an error :

Can't locate 'LWEXT9.6.cfg' file

under LW 9.6.

Under LW10, I get the aforementioned illegal arithmetic error reported.

In passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls in getImageFormats() func (starting line 1729) you have vers which is feeding directly off the hostVersion() func (line 1732) returning 9.6 when running LW9.6. This should be overridden by being resolved to 9 instead. That's for every case along the switch() block.

Phil
12-31-2010, 01:35 PM
No, that isn't the one. LScript's line counter isn't accurate when a script size exceeds a certain number of lines. It will give you a number several lines ahead. This is most likely the problem code:

... which probably means that the SCRIPTID (the location of the script file) is not complete. I don't get the error so you probably need to test your this_script (and this_script[1] and this_script[2]) variable to determine why it is failing. It's most likely because at least one of these variables is a nil, hence the arithmetic (add) error.

We've got Mike Wolf and Dagmar here for new year and he's been picking through this with me - we came to the same conclusion.

[1] resolves to nil on Mac
[2] gives the full path to the script without the terminating directory slash

I assume therefore that we need a check here to separate Mac from Windows.

This seems to work :

if (platform == INTEL)
else
this_script_path = this_script[2] + "/";

Phil
12-31-2010, 01:43 PM
In passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls in getImageFormats() func (starting line 1729) you have vers which is feeding directly off the hostVersion() func (line 1732) returning 9.6 when running LW9.6. This should be overridden by being resolved to 9 instead. That's for every case along the switch() block.

This change works :

vers = string(integer(string(hostVersion())));

Phil
12-31-2010, 01:59 PM
This seems to work :

if (platform == INTEL)
else

Note that this appears twice in the code :

PassPort_MC.ls
passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls

Matt
12-31-2010, 02:00 PM
This change works :

vers = string(integer(string(hostVersion())));

Good call, that's how it was before (less the string bit) I changed it but totally missed the fact that 9.6 would return 9.6 and not 9, doh! My fault!

Have fixed this and uploaded to svn.

Matt
12-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Okay, anyone know how to make sure the "Files" link on sourceforge is in sync with the svn version?

faulknermano
12-31-2010, 02:15 PM
We've got Mike Wolf and Dagmar here for new year and he's been picking through this with me - we came to the same conclusion.

[1] resolves to nil on Mac
[2] gives the full path to the script without the terminating directory slash

I assume therefore that we need a check here to separate Mac from Windows.

This seems to work :

if (platform == INTEL)
else

Ah yes... on the Mac... hehehe.... :)

Once I had to create a custom split() func that branched off into one of two after determining platform.

faulknermano
12-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Note that this appears twice in the code :

PassPort_MC.ls
passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls

this_script can be called as a global in passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls or whatever other insert uses the variable, and then omitting the assignment. But I'd suggest that this_script is called during create() to make sure that the variable is set right at the beginning.

jeremyhardin
12-31-2010, 06:15 PM
So weird to see this stuff being discussed on the forums. Fun though.

(faulknermano, I've not been avoiding. Just online less. Shall have to catch up.)

geo_n
12-31-2010, 07:11 PM
Not able to load the plugin in vista lw 32. lw just crashes.
Loaded in lw 10 but getting a @ error.

dee
01-01-2011, 04:15 AM
I'm getting an error in LW10 when trying to open File-> Preferences:
Line 1550, invalid argument 3 type to ctlpopup() ((did you misspell the variable name?))

This works fine in 9.6.

System Information:
Operating System: Win 7 64Bit
CPU Type: Intel Core I7-875, 3.2GHz
Number of CPUs: 1 QuadCore
RAM: 8GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 260 (896MB)
Display Driver Version: 260.99

artstorm
01-01-2011, 07:42 AM
Okay, anyone know how to make sure the "Files" link on sourceforge is in sync with the svn version?

There is no function to have the SVN in sync with the release files, which makes sense when you think about the intended workflow.
The SVN trunk is where the development files are located. On an active projects files might be commited and updated to the trunk several times a day and the actual software might also be broken now and then while development occurs.
So you don't really want the development code synced automatically to the release files section in most projects.

Then when the code is ready for a new release, ie, you have a new stable version, you usually tag it in svn with with the new version number, ie, make a stable tag snapshot, and then you compile the project, put it in an archived format and upload the release archive to the files section, for the major public to download and use (as they most of the time are not interested in the code, just the executables).

So the SVN section, is for the living development code, that are updated frequently and might be buggy. Where in the case of SourceForge, anyone can checkout the code, if they want a bleeding edge snapshot, and approved contributors can commit in updates and fixes for the path towards the next stable version.

And then of course things can be customized and automated according to individual project needs. SVN has a notify function that can trigger scripts. For instance to trigger scripts to make something on a certain commit or tag.
And SourceForge can update the release files section via SFTP, RSYNC and so on, so one could make a script to take either the svn trunk or to parse the svn stable tags and generate archives and then up them to the release files in the case of passportmanager, if one wants to automate the process.

tonygardner
01-01-2011, 01:29 PM
I have also been having the Layout crashing on start problem. I am using LW10 on a 32bit PC system running Windows XP Home Edition.

By removing each Passport file one at a time I know the problem only occurs if the PassPort_ComRing_Functions.lsc file is present. Does anybody have any idea what could be behind this problem?

Dexter2999
01-01-2011, 02:15 PM
There is no function to have the SVN in sync with the release files, insert techno speak)::.

Again, proving the chasm between computational engineering minds and artist minds. Your argument makes sense the same way Uber users can justify how great DOS Shell is and how they prefer it over any GUI.

I'm not saying anything you wrote is invalid. From what I could follow, it all made perfect logical sense. But there is a huge difference between developer friendly and user friendly.

Love to see a ZIP made available in the BONUS Content for LW10. Since it is free to distribute. Please correct me if I am wrong.

jeremyhardin
01-01-2011, 04:50 PM
There is no function to have the SVN in sync with the release files, which makes sense when you think about the intended workflow.
The SVN trunk is where the development files are located. On an active projects files might be commited and updated to the trunk several times a day and the actual software might also be broken now and then while development occurs.
So you don't really want the development code synced automatically to the release files section in most projects.

Then when the code is ready for a new release, ie, you have a new stable version, you usually tag it in svn with with the new version number, ie, make a stable tag snapshot, and then you compile the project, put it in an archived format and upload the release archive to the files section, for the major public to download and use (as they most of the time are not interested in the code, just the executables).

So the SVN section, is for the living development code, that are updated frequently and might be buggy. Where in the case of SourceForge, anyone can checkout the code, if they want a bleeding edge snapshot, and approved contributors can commit in updates and fixes for the path towards the next stable version.

And then of course things can be customized and automated according to individual project needs. SVN has a notify function that can trigger scripts. For instance to trigger scripts to make something on a certain commit or tag.
And SourceForge can update the release files section via SFTP, RSYNC and so on, so one could make a script to take either the svn trunk or to parse the svn stable tags and generate archives and then up them to the release files in the case of passportmanager, if one wants to automate the process.

This seems like a well thought out way to go about things. Keeps a stable compiled version always available.

faulknermano
01-01-2011, 05:34 PM
:newtek:

I'm getting an error in LW10 when trying to open File-> Preferences:
Line 1550, invalid argument 3 type to ctlpopup() ((did you misspell the variable name?))

That is pointing to the list of image formats available, which is related to the LWEXT file. Either it can't be found, or that there is no such info in the file (for some reason). I don't get it in my system, but I am running LW10 64bit.

getImageFormats() is at line 1729 of passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls, the invalid argument 3 refers to image_formats_array, which is returned by this function. This means getImageFormat() is returning (most likely) a nil.

OFF
01-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Cageman, thanks for your video, but I have received:
Internal communication error

You tried to access the address ftp://cageman.dyndns.org:21/Cageman_PassPort_Introduction/04_Layer_approach_1200x675.mov, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.

530 Login or Password incorrect.

jeremyhardin
01-01-2011, 06:29 PM
:newtek:

That is pointing to the list of image formats available, which is related to the LWEXT file. Either it can't be found, or that there is no such info in the file (for some reason). I don't get it in my system, but I am running LW10 64bit.

getImageFormats() is at line 1729 of passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls, the invalid argument 3 refers to image_formats_array, which is returned by this function. This means getImageFormat() is returning (most likely) a nil.

This could be related to the bug (which I made newtek aware of over a year ago if I'm not mistaken) where configuration files are not created on disc for the LWEXT file if autoscan is being used. And of course lscript doesn't have access to the available image formats of that user.
The workaround was -- and maybe still is -- to manually scan for LW's default included I/O plugins. That should create the relevant file.

vink
01-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Are you on a Mac too?

This could be related to the same issue Phil is having.

I am on win 7 x64 with lw 10 x64

vink
01-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Now after download updated passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls
Passport preferences work :)
Thanks

geo_n
01-02-2011, 03:17 AM
Anyone got it working on lw 9.6 win vista or win 7 64?

dee
01-02-2011, 03:51 AM
This could be related to the bug (which I made newtek aware of over a year ago if I'm not mistaken) where configuration files are not created on disc for the LWEXT file if autoscan is being used. And of course lscript doesn't have access to the available image formats of that user.
The workaround was -- and maybe still is -- to manually scan for LW's default included I/O plugins. That should create the relevant file.

Thanks, a manually scan did the trick.

But I must say it was better organized before, where all LW default plugins were listed in Extension Cache and all user specific plugins in LWEXT10.CFG. Now, after the scan, everything is in LWEXT10.CFG. Isn't it possible to point the script to the Extension Cache file instead of LWEXT10.CFG?

Cageman
01-02-2011, 04:30 AM
Cageman, thanks for your video, but I have received:
Internal communication error

You tried to access the address ftp://cageman.dyndns.org:21/Cageman_PassPort_Introduction/04_Layer_approach_1200x675.mov, which is currently unavailable. Please make sure that the web address (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.

530 Login or Password incorrect.

The link you provided here is incorrect...

Try the link I posted in my previous post... http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1095193&postcount=59

OFF
01-02-2011, 06:29 AM
i use exactly this link and get again when pressing on any mov file "530 Login or Password incorrect."

allabulle
01-02-2011, 06:55 AM
The link works fine here. I've tried a few videos and they all worked well.

Netvudu
01-02-2011, 08:02 AM
yup, the videos work fine here as well....maybe a browser thing? Are you using firefox or explorer?

thomascheng
01-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Just wanted to say thank you Jeremy.

H_Molla
01-02-2011, 08:46 AM
not working for me ?? 9.6 or 10 ??

tonygardner
01-02-2011, 08:58 AM
So has anybody got this working in LW10 on 32bit Windows systems, I'm still getting Layout crash if the PassPort_ComRing_Functions.lsc is present.

H_Molla
01-02-2011, 09:39 AM
i got is running right now under LW10, but when i open the pref. as the video tutorials ( thanks by the way ), i got Line 1550, invalid argument 3 type to ctlpopup() ((did you misspell the variable name?)) message ??

Matt
01-02-2011, 10:19 AM
i got is running right now under LW10, but when i open the pref. as the video tutorials ( thanks by the way ), i got Line 1550, invalid argument 3 type to ctlpopup() ((did you misspell the variable name?)) message ??

This is because the list of saver plugins is coming back as NULL. PassPort should check if LWEXT10.cfg is empty and if so use the Extension Cache (something new in LW10).

Will have to see why this might not be working as intended (because it works in my tests).

In the meantime, make sure you _manually_ scan you plugins folder.

meatycheesyboy
01-02-2011, 10:29 AM
i use exactly this link and get again when pressing on any mov file "530 Login or Password incorrect."

I got the same error when I used Opera 11. I tried Internet Explorer 8 and it worked fine though.

H_Molla
01-02-2011, 10:32 AM
This is because the list of saver plugins is coming back as NULL. PassPort should check if LWEXT10.cfg is empty and if so use the Extension Cache (something new in LW10).

Will have to see why this might not be working as intended (because it works in my tests).

In the meantime, make sure you _manually_ scan you plugins folder.

Thanks, it did work now for me...

geo_n
01-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Just a note about the @insert commands.

If you are having issues with this, as it could be people are using it with a version of LW before the relative path command came in.

Open up 'PassPort_MC.ls'

And change these lines:

To:

@insert "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL:passEditor_Interface _Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL:passEditor_render_Su bfuncs.ls"
@insert "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL:passEditor_sceneGen_ Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL:passEditor_scenePars e_Subfuncs.ls"
@end
@if platform == MACUB
@end
@if platform == INTEL
@end

Obviously changing "YOUR_PATH_TO_PASSPORT_INSTALL" to the path to where PassPort is located in YOUR LightWave install.

Make sure you use forward slashes / and not backward slashes \ for the folder separators for Intel and MacUB paths.

Still getting @insert commands errors after editing passport_mc

I changed to

@if platform == INTEL
@insert "D:/Shared/Lightwave/LWPlugins_64/Passport/passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "D:/Shared/Lightwave/LWPlugins_64/Passport/passEditor_render_Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "D:/Shared/Lightwave/LWPlugins_64/Passport/passEditor_sceneGen_Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "D:/Shared/Lightwave/LWPlugins_64/Passport/passEditor_sceneParse_Subfuncs.ls"
@end

Can't get it to work with lw 9.6.
works in lw 10 though.

vink
01-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Now i have problem with Scene Master Override :)
after setup overrides and add sceneMasterOverride i got error: "Got this far!"

LW 10 x64 Win7

archijam
01-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Jeremy! Fantastic generosity! :thumbsup:

Sourceforge sounds good .. for now ..

But would anyone be against .. lessee .. just integrating it into lightwave? And crediting JH in the docs and app itself?

A nice first addition for 10.1!

Just thought I'd throw it out there ... ;)

Matt
01-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Still getting @insert commands errors after editing passport_mc

I changed to

@if platform == INTEL
@insert "D:/Shared/Lightwave/LWPlugins_64/Passport/passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "D:/Shared/Lightwave/LWPlugins_64/Passport/passEditor_render_Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "D:/Shared/Lightwave/LWPlugins_64/Passport/passEditor_sceneGen_Subfuncs.ls"
@insert "D:/Shared/Lightwave/LWPlugins_64/Passport/passEditor_sceneParse_Subfuncs.ls"
@end

Can't get it to work with lw 9.6.
works in lw 10 though.

Did you download the update to 'passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls'?

Matt
01-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Now i have problem with Scene Master Override :)
after setup overrides and add sceneMasterOverride i got error: "Got this far!"

LW 10 x64 Win7

That looks like one of my debugging messages when I was trying to find out where PassPort was crashing.

Have taken that out! Re-download 'passEditor_sceneGen_Subfuncs.ls' from Sourceforge.

LW_Will
01-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Jezza, Matt, cheers mates... thanks. Thanks for everything.

vink
01-03-2011, 04:34 AM
That looks like one of my debugging messages when I was trying to find out where PassPort was crashing.

Have taken that out! Re-download 'passEditor_sceneGen_Subfuncs.ls' from Sourceforge.

Thanks Matt,
Now error is gone :)
But probably " redirect buffer export path" not working. I dont see any buffer files in output folder and in original paths configured in export buffer filter.

tonygardner
01-03-2011, 07:23 AM
I never could get it to work after I brought a copy, I can't get it to work now it's gone open source either and I feel like I'm getting to the point where I have wasted enough time and effort and money on the damn thing.

I can't even get Layout to start up with the plugin located in my plugins directory so I can't even begin to try to use it. What a waste of money passport was to me I hope you all enjoy it if you can get it to work

vink
01-03-2011, 07:39 AM
I never could get it to work after I brought a copy, I can't get it to work now it's gone open source either and I feel like I'm getting to the point where I have wasted enough time and effort and money on the damn thing.

I can't even get Layout to start up with the plugin located in my plugins directory so I can't even begin to try to use it. What a waste of money passport was to me I hope you all enjoy it if you can get it to work

Maybe finally this will work for everyone in near future...
What you use now to render passes?

tonygardner
01-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Maybe finally this will work for everyone in near future...
What you use now to render passes?

I just manually set up separate scenes usually, quicker and easier.

allabulle
01-03-2011, 08:38 AM

with a little more testing and polishing it seems clear that we will enjoy it. Maybe when it's finally robust you could try it again.

Matt
01-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Well, let's see if we can figure out WHY it's crashing for you. This happened to me when I was given the source code, but I did get it working, at least here I did.

Matt
01-03-2011, 10:50 AM
You know, I should probably put a little disclaimer in here actually.

Any work I do on PassPort is in no way related to NewTek or mean that NewTek are responsible for any support, it is just done in good spirit for the community, and done in my spare time!

Dexter2999
01-03-2011, 10:55 AM
spare time!
:ohmy:

:twak:
Get back to work!

;)

Matt
01-03-2011, 11:31 AM
:ohmy:

:twak:
Get back to work!

;)

Exactly! :D

geo_n
01-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Did you download the update to 'passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls'?

Got it working. Finally :thumbsup:
downloaded new passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls
deleted my config files
disabled autoscan plugins
edited the passport_mc.ls path lines to reflect my pc hd

:thumbsup:

paulhart
01-03-2011, 11:49 AM
TonyGardner, Hello... all
Just FYI, I downloaded the latest versions of the LScript, put them in a folder, opened Layout, then scanned the folder, (which is currently outside of the Lightwave folders so it won't crash with Autoscan) and Layout immediately disappeared (crashed). So for me, the promise of Lightwave having a Render Pass Management is still distant. I use Blender and easily set up multiple Passes, then use a Node flow tree in the Compositor and enjoy the flexibility and creative freedom.
I am very appreciative of Jeremy's contribution, Matt's hard work and the efforts of other, so my comments are in no way meant to reflect on them. On the other hand, it astounds me that this is such a "slog" and that Newtek neither comments nor contributes, to my limited knowledge. Somewhere between the code in Passport and the now defunct Surpasses, there should be enough indication for Newtek to integrate this... it is pass due (PUN?) as far as I am concerned.
Paul

Matt
01-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Got it working. Finally :thumbsup:
downloaded new passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls
deleted my config files
disabled autoscan plugins
edited the passport_mc.ls path lines to reflect my pc hd

:thumbsup:

That *should* work for all, unless there are some other unknowns that we've missed.

Matt
01-03-2011, 11:51 AM
On the other hand, it astounds me that this is such a "slog" and that Newtek neither comments nor contributes

Well, technically ...

:D

paulhart
01-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Not fair Matt.... ;>) you want it both ways?? :D
You do this on your "spare" time, not as a representative of Newtek... but you want me to "technically" give Newtek some credit.... no way... you get the credit, straight up. My comments about "pass due" stand as written.
I just tried to edit the passport_mc.ls file to reflect my current temporary location of these files, saved it and tried to load it. Crash out.
No, I did not delete my Configs, as they have been modified with menus and I don't want to rebuild all the menus???
Thank you again for all you do, it is appreciated.
Paul

nickdigital
01-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Would someone be so kind as to walk me through the installation process?

I have a folder called PassPort with the following contents:
-passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls
-passEditor_render_Subfuncs.ls -passEditor_sceneGen_Subfuncs.ls -passEditor_sceneParse_Subfuncs.ls
-Passport_About.tga
-Passport_Banner_457.tga
-Passport_Banner_640.tga
-PassPort_MC.ls
-PassPort_Readme.pdf
-PassPort_v1_1_Addendum.pdf
-ReadMe.txt

When I either add the files or scan the PassPort OR or the root Plug-Ins folder that holds all our plug-ins I still get the "@passEditor_Interface_Subfuncs.ls" error.

I have a specific shortcut that writes out the ext file that all my animators and our render farm uses so it's already set to not Autoscan plug-ins.

I've even tried clearing out my plug-in listing and doing a full scan on the root folder that holds all our plug-ins.

We use network paths and not mapped drives if that matters.

Thanks.

Matt
01-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Would someone be so kind as to walk me through the installation process?

Just doing a video for you, bear with me!

nickdigital
01-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Just doing a video for you, bear with me!

You are awesome!

jeremyhardin
01-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Also, everyone should keep in mind that it was written in multiple text files, but only for organisational reasons.

When purchasers received passport, they received one file, PassPort_MC.lsc. "Compiling" PassPort_MC.ls with lscript compiler would pull in all the @insert files.

Perhaps users should try to do the same? Or a "compiled" could be uploaded to source forge?

Matt
01-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Also, everyone should keep in mind that it was written in multiple text files, but only for organisational reasons.

When purchasers received passport, they received one file, PassPort_MC.lsc. "Compiling" PassPort_MC.ls with lscript compiler would pull in all the @insert files.

Perhaps users should try to do the same? Or a "compiled" could be uploaded to source forge?

You know, I was just thinking the same thing. Let me do that, as I have a bug fixed version of the LSCompiler here.

Matt
01-03-2011, 01:14 PM
You are awesome!

BTW: On the video I say "Hi Nick", but I'm thinking that's not your name! :D

nickdigital
01-03-2011, 01:31 PM
BTW: On the video I say "Hi Nick", but I'm thinking that's not your name! :D

I'll just assume you're a big fan of Nickelodeon haha.

Technically this is me:
http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=72

Though in the event I'm no longer with the studio I'll just pass on this id to the next person in charge and revert back to my personal forum id.

Matt
01-03-2011, 01:46 PM
You are awesome!

For what it's worth, here it is:

www.pixsim.co.uk/video_tutorials/Setting_Up_PassPort.zip

Have also uploaded a compiled version of PassPort here (PassPort.lsc)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lw-passport/files/

I deleted the source files from the front page, but if you want those, they are here:

Matt
01-03-2011, 01:47 PM
I'll just assume you're a big fan of Nickelodeon haha.

Technically this is me:
http://tv.newtek.com/player.php?recordID=72

Though in the event I'm no longer with the studio I'll just pass on this id to the next person in charge and revert back to my personal forum id.

Good to put a face to the Avatar!

nickdigital
01-03-2011, 01:49 PM
For what it's worth, here it is:

www.pixsim.co.uk/video_tutorials/Setting_Up_PassPort.zip

Awesome, downloading now.
Thx again.

Matt
01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Awesome, downloading now.
Thx again.

Try the compiled version too, second link in the post above. That has all the files in one file. Might help.

nickdigital
01-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Try the compiled version too, second link in the post above. That has all the files in one file. Might help.

So I tried editing the file with our path to where the PassPort files are and I still get an error message about LW looking for the other lsc files.

If I try the compiled single file I get an error that it can't locate the ext file.

My guess is this has to do with our use of UNC paths.

paulhart
01-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Hallelujah!! I got it working... careful following of suggestions and paying attention seems to have been necessary.... DUH?(;>D) Thank you Matt.
I had edited the PassPort_MC.ls, but in my haste, I did not delete the // so they were still commented lines... I know?? What was I not thinking. Anyway, I tried it with these changes, still reluctant... I then deleted the Extension Cache and LWEXT10.CFG files as suggested in the Installation video, (Thank you Matt) and compiled it for myself, new adventure... Finally, loaded Layout again, Scanned my ExtraPlugins folder. The two files were re-created, as intended, and then going into my Master Plugins, Passport is there, and loads with a test scene, and the Properties window looks like it works. I will now actually try to use it, but I wanted to give a shout out that it can and does work with Win32, Lightwave 10, but you have to follow the instructions closely.... Thank you Jeremy, Matt, and others for the efforts.
Paul

Matt
01-03-2011, 05:22 PM
So I tried editing the file with our path to where the PassPort files are and I still get an error message about LW looking for the other lsc files.

If I try the compiled single file I get an error that it can't locate the ext file.

My guess is this has to do with our use of UNC paths.

Maybe Jeremy can chime in here, whether it expects paths to be of a certain formatting.

Cageman
01-03-2011, 06:03 PM

Oh... so... where are you now if no longer with NickDigital?

nickdigital
01-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Oh... so... where are you now if no longer with NickDigital?

Oh no no...to be more clear, if I ever move on from Nickelodeon I'll pass on this id and use my personal one.

Don't worry, I'm still hanging out with a spastic yellow sponge. :)

GraphXs
01-03-2011, 10:32 PM
In 9.6 the PassPort GUI works and loads. When I try to render I get a Error: Line110, Invalid argument 2 type to parse ()

I'm using the PassPort.lsc script.

Haven't tried it in v10 yet.

tonygardner
01-04-2011, 03:47 AM
Hi Matt

Sorry if I came across as a bit of a grouch yesterday, I was suffering with a killer headache. Anyway thanks for the offer of help.

Here's where I'm at at the moment...

I assumed I had to copy everything to do with the plugin to my plugins directory but if I included the 'PassPort_ComRing_Functions.lsc' from the PassPort_Scripting directory the layout crashes when it scans it so this time I only included the Passport folder.

I followed Cagemans video tutorial up till the point where he (about half way through video 4) says to click 'Render Pass Frame' at which point I get an error... 'Line 755. invalid object method writeln()'.

I'd appreciate it if you can help me get over this.

*** EDIT ***

I should add that having now watched your video Matt I have also tried editing the passport_mc.ls file as you did with the correct path to MY plugins, but this has not helped with the problem.

goodrichm
01-04-2011, 09:30 AM
Wow, thanks so much to Jeremy & Matt for this!!!

I couldn't add/install the passport_mc.ls script to LW9.6 as it kept popping up file requester with "@ passeditor_interface_subfuncs" in the browser's file field. I was able to install the compiled version.

Using the compiled ver, I followed Matt's setup tut and I'm getting errors when selecting render pass frame. Select "OK" button on error prompt, but keeps cycling between 2 line errors and can't exit out of LW9.6. Please see attached screen shots. I'm using the EasterDance sample scene included with LW9.

Thanks again! MG

btomer
01-04-2011, 11:03 AM
If I tried to open the preferences box panel, the passport plug-in would close. Looking at Matt's video it was saying passport looks for your lwext10.cfg file for file saver locations, and if it is not there, or empty it will look for the extension Cache file. I had auto scan feature turned on but for some reason my lwext10.cfg file was not empty, but it did not have the file saver locations as the extension Cache file does. I turned off the auto scan feature and manually scanned the lightwave support/plug-ins directory and passport is working fine.
It might be why some are having problems.

Thank you Jeremy & Matt.

lardbros
01-04-2011, 03:14 PM
I seem to get this error after adding the compiled Passport Plugin, and trying to access the 'Preferences' panel:

I added the plugin manually, and it works when I load it, but just the preferences that don't seem to load. I also deleted all my configs before trying, but any help with this would be awesome.

Win7 Pro and LW10

Matt
01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
I seem to get this error after adding the compiled Passport Plugin, and trying to access the 'Preferences' panel:

I added the plugin manually, and it works when I load it, but just the preferences that don't seem to load. I also deleted all my configs before trying, but any help with this would be awesome.

Win7 Pro and LW10

Did you try scanning plugins manually, that error is when the saver plugin list is NULL.

Having said that, it _should_ never get to a point when it's NULL.

Matt
01-04-2011, 05:23 PM
In 9.6 the PassPort GUI works and loads. When I try to render I get a Error: Line110, Invalid argument 2 type to parse ()

I'm using the PassPort.lsc script.

Haven't tried it in v10 yet.

DOH DOH DOH!

My fault, I apologise, when I uploaded the compiled version I renamed it to 'PassPort', but the scene parsing expects it to be called 'PassPort_MC'.

Rename the plugin to 'PassPort_MC.lsc', delete your LWEXT9.cfg and re-scan your plugins.

I will make the change to the plugin on the source forge site.

Again, my apologies! This is what happens when you work on someone elses code without checking through every line to see how it works!

bassmanjam
01-04-2011, 05:33 PM
DOH DOH DOH!

We are still grateful and appreciate your hard work! :beerchug:

erikals
01-05-2011, 07:54 AM
In the light of PassPort now being a free tool, I just wanted to remind everyone of my PassPort videotutorial I did waaaay back when PassPort was orignialy released.

Hopefully it will help many of you to hit the ground running as a complement to the actual documentation of PassPort.

LINK! (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_PassPort_Introduction)

Cheers!

agh,...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/eek.gif

the link doesn't work.... is the server down maybe?....

allabulle
01-05-2011, 12:13 PM
agh,...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/eek.gif

the link doesn't work.... is the server down maybe?....

It works here.

erikals
01-05-2011, 12:28 PM
ah, works now... thanks.

Gumby22don
01-05-2011, 08:24 PM
I got the .lsc plugin working easily but can't seem to use it with radiosity? either that or none of my objects are showing up. Is there any limitations?

Don
have a great day

Matt
01-06-2011, 01:22 AM
I got the .lsc plugin working easily but can't seem to use it with radiosity? either that or none of my objects are showing up. Is there any limitations?

Don
have a great day

What are you wanting to do exactly?

vink
01-06-2011, 04:35 AM
Anyone have success with surface override?

Gumby22don
01-06-2011, 05:48 PM
What are you wanting to do exactly?

I have a radiosity scene which renders properly on F9, but using passport it only renders the volumetric lights, not any objects. I will try a new scene and see if its something specific I can pin down further.

jeremyhardin
01-07-2011, 04:06 AM
Basically, unless Matt's changed something, only radiosity as it existed in 9.3.1 would funciton.

All the new camera features, and lighting, etc. that was added in 9.5/9.6/10, are not supported, because the features that are supported are done by reverse engineering the LightWave scene and object file formats.

If people are wanting to add features, these are the sorts of things that are lacking. I just don't have the time (or a machine).

Matt
01-07-2011, 09:39 AM
No I've not changed anything in that regard, but I can look at the parsing and see if I see anything obvious.

jeremyhardin
01-07-2011, 10:46 AM
well, if the new radiosity does something different in the scene file (which of course it does) passport won't support that. So to implement the new radiosity, you'd need...

new interface elements to allow access to the new features, probably revamping the scene master override type. Or maybe creating a new override type and method of assigning.
parse support for finding where in the scene the new radiosity information is stored. in other words, what's before it, and what's after it in the scene file?
parse support for writing that information, from the override properties, into the render scene. you'll have to set up and obey all the if/then switches of testing if the override is assigned, then testing if the information is already in the scene file, then if all the conditions are right, plugging in the override radiosity into the render scene instead of the live scene radiosity settings.

Matt
01-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Regular radiosity / rendering in LW10 hasn't changed in how it works, so it must be something else that is failing, but I will check when I get some time.

jeremyhardin
01-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Regular radiosity / rendering in LW10 hasn't changed in how it works, so it must be something else that is failing, but I will check when I get some time.
No, but I'm almost certain it changed between 9.3.1 and 9.6. Baking and the like, not to mention the new modes. These would all go into the scene file differently to the radiosity in 9.3.1 scene files.

Passport, for every single render, is creating, from scratch, a render scene text file, line by line. More specifically, a 9.3.1 scene file.

This is why every feature added since 9.3.1 won't work with passport. This is why development stopped. The scene file format is almost wholly undocumented. I guess/tested my way through every bit of it. One iteration of LW later, it changed considerably. And again, in undocumented ways.

So as I said earlier, if users are wanting passport to use anything added to LW since 9.3.1, they'll need to follow my checklist above. Or their own similar one. :)

jeremyhardin
01-07-2011, 08:03 PM
No, but I'm almost certain it changed between 9.3.1 and 9.6. Baking and the like, not to mention the new modes. These would all go into the scene file differently to the radiosity in 9.3.1 scene files.

Passport, for every single render, is creating, from scratch, a render scene text file, line by line. More specifically, a 9.3.1 scene file.

This is why every feature added since 9.3.1 won't work with passport. This is why development stopped. The scene file format is almost wholly undocumented. I guess/tested my way through every bit of it. One iteration of LW later, it changed considerably. And again, in undocumented ways.

So as I said earlier, if users are wanting passport to use anything added to LW since 9.3.1, they'll need to follow my checklist above. Or their own similar one. :)

goodrichm
01-08-2011, 07:49 AM
The latest compiled ver no longer crashes when rendering pass frame. Thank you so much! MG

allabulle
01-08-2011, 08:05 AM

So now that we have one of us inside NT maybe 'we' can have access to the bits missing, like the undocumented changes so 'we' can fix it to run it safely on production. Matt? :-)

Matt
01-08-2011, 09:45 AM

Of course, I forgot it was written prior to 9.6. Let's go digging then!

Netvudu
01-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Go Matt! Donīt let us despair on the world of the extremely uncomfortable render passes! ;D

faulknermano
01-09-2011, 03:47 AM

Just as a suggestion, that may or may not apply to Passport code. You may already know this, but there's a trick in writing LWS files that I discovered when I was getting Janus to work with new parameters (i.e. Radiosity). Global parameters - those related to the scene, not objects - can be placed anywhere and at any order. They can also be placed any number of times inside a LWS, but LW will only set the parameter of the last defined instance. If, for example, I wanted to turn off Radiosity, I don't have to search for Radiosity to turn it off; you can place EnableRadiosity 0 at the end of the LWS and even if EnableRadiosity 1 was placed somewhere in the middle of the LWS, LW will see the last instance of that command.

This was a technique that I used for some tricky parameters when parsing files and it allowed me to be flexible regarding scene file changes.

Again, this may not apply to Passport directly.

Lupullo
01-10-2011, 07:19 AM
Hi Matt. Thank for Passport but to me it
does not work.
I tried passport on lightwave 10 on Windows 7 on two PCs.
In either Passport dosn't renders the scenes : neither the single frame of the test, nor the complete scene. It opens a terminal windo but closes after 1 second without having rendered anything. I suppose there is a problem with LWSN call. The temp scenes are created, however. I have to render by hand. Can you help me?

Phil
01-14-2011, 03:18 PM

I'd also suggest fixing the root cause of these problems by ensuring that scene file changes *are* documented in future, to avoid this death by 1000 cuts that Passport seemed to suffer.

Matt
01-14-2011, 09:37 PM
I'd also suggest fixing the root cause of these problems by ensuring that scene file changes *are* documented in future, to avoid this death by 1000 cuts that Passport seemed to suffer.

Well, technically the scene format for v10 hasn't changed, you can load v10 scenes into v9.6 ;)

But I know what you're saying.

Matt
01-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi Matt. Thank for Passport but to me it
does not work.
I tried passport on lightwave 10 on Windows 7 on two PCs.
In either Passport dosn't renders the scenes : neither the single frame of the test, nor the complete scene. It opens a terminal windo but closes after 1 second without having rendered anything. I suppose there is a problem with LWSN call. The temp scenes are created, however. I have to render by hand. Can you help me?

Where to start, I mean, it works here. Are you sure you're using it correctly? A screen capture video would help immensly if you can do that.

nickdigital
07-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Does anyone get a "Could not create data object for PassPort_MC plugin." error when trying to access it via Master Plug-ins?

I have yet to be able to get this to work. I've tried hardcoding the path to the Subfuncs files in the _MC file and tried relying on the "@" lines and still no go.

I've tried both a mapped drive and our normal UNC path setup here.

[Edit]
If I try to load the .lsc version I can get it to show up in Master Plugins but when trying to launch the UI I get "Line 416, illegal arithmetic operation on data type."

nickdigital
07-18-2011, 06:42 PM
Ok so I can load up the uncompiled version now. It turns out it was user error on my part. But I still get the "Line 416, illegal arithmetic operation on data type." error.

Line 416 is

compiled = 1;
Even if I comment out that line I still get that error which is odd.

geo_n
07-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Is this now compatible with all lw 9.6 and lw 10 renderer features?
Passport, Surpasses, Amleto.
Calling newtek

tayotain2
07-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Does anyone get a "Could not create data object for PassPort_MC plugin." error when trying to access it via Master Plug-ins?

I have yet to be able to get this to work. I've tried hardcoding the path to the Subfuncs files in the _MC file and tried relying on the "@" lines and still no go.

I've tried both a mapped drive and our normal UNC path setup here.

[Edit]
If I try to load the .lsc version I can get it to show up in Master Plugins but when trying to launch the UI I get "Line 416, illegal arithmetic operation on data type."

Delete configs and use scan plugins. It worked for me. Hope it helps.

nickdigital
07-18-2011, 10:29 PM
I assume you mean the LW config and not the ext config. I'll give that a go.

Thx.

tayotain2
07-18-2011, 10:42 PM
From readme.txt
"You will also need to recreate your LWEXT*.cfg / Extension Cache (LW10+ only) files. To do this, delete both from your Config folder and run LightWave.

If running v10+ it is adisable to manually scan your plugins also from the 'Edit Plugins' panel."

nickdigital
07-18-2011, 10:50 PM
From readme.txt
"You will also need to recreate your LWEXT*.cfg / Extension Cache (LW10+ only) files. To do this, delete both from your Config folder and run LightWave.

If running v10+ it is adisable to manually scan your plugins also from the 'Edit Plugins' panel."

Thx, I coulda swore I was doing that today but I'll try again.

tayotain2
07-19-2011, 12:59 AM
Thx, I coulda swore I was doing that today but I'll try again.
Hope it helps :)

nickdigital
07-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Eh, still no go. I still get the error message for line 416. :grumpy:

nickdigital
08-19-2011, 11:08 AM
So Passport doesn't like being referenced via a UNC. Using a mapped drive is fine.

nickdigital
08-19-2011, 12:23 PM
When I go to render a Pass Frame or the Pass itself, nothing happens. Am I missing something?

scheme_a
09-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to install compiled PassPort on LW10 in Intel Mac.
I've tried deleting the "Extention 10" and manual scan the plugin directly, but it still tells me it can't find the lwext10.cfg.
Anyone can help me out on this?

Thanks

inakito
02-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Hi there! I got it up and running on Lightwave 10.1 but It is just working so far for object properties overrides... I can get it to work for example as surface overrides. Did anyone get it up and running 100% on Lightwave 10.1? it seems it doesnt take properly changes made on the objects!

Thanks!

lardbros
02-16-2012, 05:03 PM
Good on you for still trying... unfortunately I'm not a coder, just here for morale! :D

Hope you get the other issues ironed out!

paulhart
02-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Hats off to you sir. Lightwave seriously needs a pass rendering solution, Passport or Surpasses. Both were left behind, and now we have Lightwave 11.0. I wish Newtek would give you a hand as my coding skills for this are limited. Like Lardbros, I am singing your praise. I hope someone else can assist where you are stuck??
Paul

inakito
02-17-2012, 06:06 AM
thanks lot!!! it will be great having Passport working 100%... or is it actually Lightwave 11 working like Passport render passes wise?? no time to check it yet... anyone??

Cheers!!

Netvudu
02-17-2012, 10:21 AM
I have LW11 (trial) in front of me, and AFAIK it just offers a unified buffer panel, with per-object selection for the buffer export, but nothing in the way of different render passes

Matt
02-17-2012, 08:40 PM
thanks lot!!! it will be great having Passport working 100%... or is it actually Lightwave 11 working like Passport render passes wise?? no time to check it yet... anyone??

Cheers!!

Not yet, but is high on our to do list, believe me.

lardbros
02-18-2012, 04:02 PM

Very good to hear Matt!! Will be very excited to see this when it appears! :)

mummyman
03-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Anyone using this in production??? Or get it to work with network rendering?

inakito
03-08-2012, 05:55 AM

So glad hearing that Matt!!!:thumbsup:

Big thanks

mummyman
03-08-2012, 12:20 PM
The instruction video worked for me! Although, I still had to add/scan the Passport plugin by hand. Changed the lines and it worked great. PC, LW10.1, 64bit.

v1u1ant
10-05-2012, 09:54 AM
erm...should this be working in LW 11.0.3 for MacUB?

50one
10-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Matt

How's that list coming along Matt??:)

jwiede
10-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Did you mean getting Passport 100% was high on your to-do list, or getting render pass mgmt. into LW? Your comment was a bit ambiguous.

paulhart
10-08-2012, 01:58 PM
...and you actually expect clarification?? ;>) I also am curious, but I suspect the ambiguity was an allowance for wiggle.

stevenpalomino
11-06-2012, 07:40 PM
sooo.... I just found this awesome plugin.. anyone using it successfully? I've got it up on 11.0.2 ... Now I'm just trying to figure out how it works.. going through all the videos posted throughout this thread

geo_n
11-06-2012, 07:53 PM
This doesn't work. Lightwave 11 also won't address the issue with render buffers and passmanagement in lw 11. Its stated in the hc forums. The current compositing buffer export is untouched for a year and probably won't be addressed till lw 12.

stevenpalomino
11-06-2012, 07:56 PM
boo... oh well.. it seems a lot simpler than Janus.. but it seem like Janus will have to do.

stevenpalomino
11-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Anyone have problems contacting Lernwel? I tried to get a trial version of Janus but never heard back from him like a month ago?

Phil
11-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Just to note : I am working on this now. I've spent the last couple of days cleaning up and reworking aspects of the code structure to make it more maintainable and to break out UI stuff from the rest. I'm unable to get the plugin to start, at least in source form, on Mac LW 11 - it simply crashes out (it seems to run just fine on Win32 LW 11 - at least to a first order).

As an aside, I chopped one source file down in size by nearly 50% today, greatly simplifying it in the process. I want to get a decent identical-functionality codebase before bashing it around in other ways.

The upside is that I'm now fairly clear on how it all works, so once the re-organisation is complete, I'll start testing the existing functionality and see what might be breaking in what's there already and how to support newer stuff as well. I have a bunch of other things on my plate as well, so I'll update this when I have some more news.

paulhart
11-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Glad to see some life in this thread. I had looked at the code base, "in the beginning" when it was first released, but my coding chops are not up to this task. You seem to be making some good progress. I appreciate your efforts and know that the Lightwave community has been asking for a solution in this area, other than the fine work on Janus, which costs $$. Hope your efforts are successful.
Paul

Oedo 808
11-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Anyone have problems contacting Lernwel? I tried to get a trial version of Janus but never heard back from him like a month ago?

Did you get a response? I've had no trouble contacting him just recently.

Perhaps it went into his spam folder, have you been trying to sell willy enlargement pills on the side? Google takes a dim view of that.

Just to note : I am working on this now...

Good work Phil, I'm sure it will benefit quite a few, though I am likely to go ahead and get Janus.

Phil
11-29-2012, 06:24 PM
Glad to see some life in this thread. I had looked at the code base, "in the beginning" when it was first released, but my coding chops are not up to this task. You seem to be making some good progress. I appreciate your efforts and know that the Lightwave community has been asking for a solution in this area, other than the fine work on Janus, which costs $$. Hope your efforts are successful.
Paul

I'm not sure that one can compare Janus with this (and the new price point for Janus is extremely generous). The one and only issue I have with Janus is that it doesn't work on Mac. Lernie doesn't have access to a Mac, at least when his wife is using it, so it's never been addressed.

I really wish LScript wouldn't crash, but instead provide useful error readouts.

- - - Updated - - -

Good work Phil, I'm sure it will benefit quite a few, though I am likely to go ahead and get Janus.

Please do! Lernie deserves the support - it's an amazing piece of work.

jeremyhardin
11-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Brave man, Phil. :)

Looking back on my code/design, one of the things that I did poorly in my opinion was follow the lightwave interface for overrides.

For example, an object properties override. This grouping makes the if-then logic unweildly to code, as the UI is grouping the data artificially. And with the reverse-engineered nature of this project, any time Newtek changed the object properties functionality, that broke the whole override instead of the one thing the change affected. Which of course is what happened. Newtek changed so much about their undocumented scene format in a point version and I had (and have) so little time that I couldn't dedicate the time to reengineer it from such low level changes.

Anyway Phil. :) that to say, do what you like, but it I were you, I'd split each object property and light property, etc. override into a separate thing in the interface. Then at render time, stack up all the like properties overrides in the scene file one by one instead of in a chunk. This might make the code sparser and the updates easier, IMHO.

Good luck.

v1u1ant
11-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Much appreciation to you Phil for giving your time on looking into getting this working. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Phil
11-30-2012, 08:36 AM
More optimisations : simplified the LWO saver code for surfacing overrides. Also found the bug that prevented it from working - another getsep() missing so that path construction would fail. I've moved path construction to a generic function that is shared between the LWO saves, and the scene saves. I've eliminated a bunch of duplicate code in this change as well.

UI stuff has been moved out and now there's a consistent UI whether you are creating or editing overrides. Editing override dialogs are no longer titled as 'New Override', but 'Edit Override'. I've noticed a couple of redraw issues that I need to look at - assigning overrides to a pass doesn't cause the bullet to be drawn until you change away and back from that pass. Irritating; I'd like to fix it at some point.

My revision of the code for generating pass or sequence scenes for rendering passes also seems to be working nicely, so that's a huge plus (that was the meat of the optimisation work up to now) and the generic code for constructing paths is responding well to the three cases it has to handle (frame, sequence or LWO).

I'm running a battery of QA tests now to see what I broke in the changes. So far, it's looking quite promising that the existing functionality has been retained.

lardbros
11-30-2012, 11:31 AM
GREAT work Phil!!! This is some functionality that is very much missing from LW, and it's brilliant to see someone awesome (as usual) in the community, try to sort it out!!

Thanks!!

Tim

Phil
12-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Getting closer to a base from which to build later work. Mac64 platform handling is added, but the script still fails on Mac LW of all forms (boo!). I've filed bugs for the issues with Mac LScript.

Meanwhile, I've reworked some of the override logic so that it is no longer possible to add incompatible elements to an override (e.g. adding an object to a light property override). I had to backtrack a little over the weekend as I went in the wrong direction for some aspects of this; the new code looks and feels a lot better to work with.

lardbros
12-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Yay... yay, and double yay!! :D

Phil
12-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Matt rendered sterling service and helped me get past an annoying implementation detail for the UI. I need to migrate this into the regular passport code and see how it performs. With luck, it will be painless. I have a long list of stuff to poke around at that point.

3dworks
12-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Getting closer to a base from which to build later work. Mac64 platform handling is added, but the script still fails on Mac LW of all forms (boo!). I've filed bugs for the issues with Mac LScript.

Meanwhile, I've reworked some of the override logic so that it is no longer possible to add incompatible elements to an override (e.g. adding an object to a light property override). I had to backtrack a little over the weekend as I went in the wrong direction for some aspects of this; the new code looks and feels a lot better to work with.

mac support for passwort? but that's relly BIG news, thank you for adding this!!! if you need a tester, let me know...

cheers

markus

Phil
12-07-2012, 09:17 AM
In theory, it always had Mac support (UB), but with the addition of the Mac64 platform, the conditional checks that used to work (against MACUB, with an integer value of 9) would fail. Mac64 reports '11'. That aspect of things is a very trivial tweak to the code.

I've been working to further tune the system and extend the initial override items list to only show compatible items (for the selected override type). That's where Matt and Lernie offered a lot of advice. In the process, I've shuffled even more code around and am flagging aspects that might be well suited for further optimisation efforts (mainly code reduction through reuse). Once this ground work is completed and proven, I can start working on the new support. I just really hated the unfiltered item list for overrides, so wanted to scratch that itch. The 'Add Sel' and 'Add All' buttons work off the scene list, so the filtering there was easily implemented. It's the listbox stuff that's taken more time and which needs QA to ensure I haven't broken aspects that I wasn't aware of.

I don't know (yet) how long it will take until I'll be in a position to send something out for testing. I've a long to-do list, even before this project :D

jwiede
12-08-2012, 09:44 PM
In theory, it always had Mac support (UB), but with the addition of the Mac64 platform, the conditional checks that used to work (against MACUB, with an integer value of 9) would fail. Mac64 reports '11'. That aspect of things is a very trivial tweak to the code.
Right, it's worked in the past with 32-bit Mac, more or less. Still, Mac64 support (given I suspect most Mac users run LW in 64-bit mode these days) is a significant improvement, and I'm with Markus, thanks much for putting in the work to add Mac64 support! Passport is the only option for Mac LW, so it's great to see it receiving active support!

UnCommonGrafx
12-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Speaking of macs and this case, and similar others, what can be done about the code here?
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?126411-Official-support-for-backburner

None of the code shared will write on the mac platform. Have any of you programmed for the mac such that you can fix/lead me toward the fix of this code?

I have a mac lab, given me, with a bunch of pc stuff to use. I understand the frustration of the Mac folk at this juncture.

jwiede
12-09-2012, 04:13 AM
Speaking of macs and this case, and similar others, what can be done about the code here?
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?126411-Official-support-for-backburner

None of the code shared will write on the mac platform. Have any of you programmed for the mac such that you can fix/lead me toward the fix of this code?
After a quick glance, I suspect the problem lies in the path/filename assembly code, see SetupBB() function, etc. in the script. On OSX, you'd want slashes, not backslashes, and so forth. As for actually writing the file, the code looks pretty platform-generic, so should work. If the problem isn't in the path assembly code, then might be some Mac-specific lscript bug.

Matt
12-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Did you mean getting Passport 100% was high on your to-do list, or getting render pass mgmt. into LW? Your comment was a bit ambiguous.

I was referring to render pass management in LW, we know we need it, and we know you know you need it! :)

Matt
12-09-2012, 06:41 AM
and it's brilliant to see someone awesome (as usual) in the community, try to sort it out!!

You do know I updated Passport initially after Jeremy open sourced it.

Phil
12-09-2012, 10:32 AM
After a quick glance, I suspect the problem lies in the path/filename assembly code, see SetupBB() function, etc. in the script. On OSX, you'd want slashes, not backslashes, and so forth. As for actually writing the file, the code looks pretty platform-generic, so should work. If the problem isn't in the path assembly code, then might be some Mac-specific lscript bug.

I can take a look, I guess. I've no experience with backburner, though. I run everything through Deadline.

Phil
12-11-2012, 08:20 AM
Eureka. After more LScript frustrations than I can count (and for which I need to compile bug reports), the filtered override scene items list is now working properly, and remembers selections as well. The previous filtering implementation only extended to the "Add Sel" and "Add All" buttons. It's taken me quite a while to unpick the UI code and also to understand the gotchas in LScript.

There are still some repaint gremlins in there, and I need to review the code a little more to understand if they can be mitigated. I see them in the original code as well (overrides with assigned items don't get the bullet point until something kicks the list in the butt). I'll need to run some tests, and clean up the construction debris, but so far, this is very encouraging. For large scenes, with lots of mixed items types, the filtered list should be much more usable.

v1u1ant
12-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Great to hear that you're making progress, really encouraging:)

Netvudu
12-11-2012, 10:42 AM
yes...many of us are silently following this thread, just in case you are succesful! ;D

zardoz
12-11-2012, 11:28 AM
I am one of 'us'.

12-11-2012, 01:31 PM

Just in case it has been missed. The code, though, is where for the taking?

12-11-2012, 01:47 PM

Hadn't even noticed that part of the code; I thought the problem was later but now see that section and all those backslashes.
Ok, a better placement than where I was.
Thanks for that push.

Phil
12-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Just in case it has been missed. The code, though, is where for the taking?

sourceforge : http://lw-passport.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lw-passport/

- - - Updated - - -

Hard-coded slashes need to be replaced with getsep() for platform agnostic code. Note that there additional issues, such as volume labels (e.g. C: on Windows).

fahr
12-11-2012, 02:54 PM
All of this looks very exciting. Any ETA on when there may be a beta to play with?

UnCommonGrafx
12-11-2012, 02:56 PM
all of this looks very exciting. Any eta on when there may be a beta to play with?

read the note above yours.

Interesting... the system won't let you do all caps. Ok, that's indicative of the thought...

Phil
12-11-2012, 03:14 PM
read the note above yours.

Interesting... the system won't let you do all caps. Ok, that's indicative of the thought...

My code isn't in sourceforge (yet). I'm working locally until I've got something that I'm comfortable sharing without inviting a flood of bug reports, feature requests and, possibly, abuse once it eats someone's 9000 frame magnum opus

Given how much I've torn apart and re-structured, merging the code into sourceforge could also be...umm...interesting. I might eventually make this a separate thing on github - it's somewhat easier to deal with than sourceforge (and I've actually long lost my sourceforge ID after they got hacked some time ago - they never responded to e-mail from me)

jeremyhardin
12-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Interesting note: I contacted the maker of Surpasses early on and enquired about reviving their code. I was refused or ignored. (I forget which. This was in 2006.)

I understand that now. It's a strangely vulnerable thing to see PassPort continue without me. And all its warts exposed! But I think (or hope) I did the right thing in open-sourcing it. Phil seems to be doing a fantastic job.

Phil
12-11-2012, 05:13 PM
Jezza - I'm hoping that I can revive iDof as well ;)

jeremyhardin
12-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I haven't forgot. :) I just don't have any at-my-pc time at home any more. As soon as I do, I'll try to find the source for converting to an open source license.

(Bearing in mind it was written in 05! Warts and all has a whole new meaning there. :) )

lardbros
12-12-2012, 06:40 AM

Apologies Matt, you're awesome too!! :) I did know that... and I used it for a bit... and it's great that someone is continuing to grow it!

(While you're here matt, any chance of looking at texture baking for v12? It would be awesome to have this overhauled and working. We do a lot of games stuff, and it would save me having to go back and forth to 3dsmax and LW and then back :D )

allabulle
12-12-2012, 07:55 AM
I'm another silent observer paying close attention. :-)

Phil
12-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Eureka part 2. I found the annoying bug that's been kicking my rear end all week. It was so silly that I still can't believe how much effort and annoyance it caused. So, the filtered overrides are now fully implemented and working. It's a joy to behold. I can finally start work on the other items now. This one flaw was driving 3 separate issues, so it's been a huge relief to finally find and fix it.

Progress should be much quicker now that the UI is what I want it to be.

v1u1ant
12-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Great news Phil, its always good to read your updates on the progress you're making!!

allabulle
12-17-2012, 07:49 AM
Fantastic news, Phil. And I agree with v1u1ant too.

JohnMarchant
12-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Good News Phil

Phil
12-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Still fighting platform support issues with LScript. I'm swamped at the moment, but hope to restart efforts on this at the weekend.

UPDATE: A moment of inspiration and the platform issues, with the exception of Mac, are resolved. Mac is doing something odd. I've filed a bug report and we'll see what transpires. It *feels* like a Mac LScript bug, and I'll have to see if it can be mitigated in some manner.

lardbros
12-21-2012, 05:30 AM
Tell you what... I find threads like this inspiring and very interesting to read.

Thanks for keeping us all posted on your progress... it's great seeing how the development is actually happening and how much effort goes into it! :D

Chris S. (Fez)
12-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Lurking...

Phil
12-23-2012, 09:26 PM
I got some time to poke the code again today. QA revealed some interesting quirks :

- the scene parsing code doesn't anticipate the user applying the plugin using the LScript/RT approach. The user is expected to have applied Passport_MC from the master plugin drop-down. I am thinking about mitigating this. I have an idea in mind, but it took a while to understand *why* the failures were happening in this mode, so I'm punting this for today.

- if the scene save path in the preferences dialog becomes invalid, the plugin fails during writing-out of the data. That's something else that needs mitigation and I will mull how to do that. This also took a little while to understand and the cause only came to me as I was wrestling my way through a driving game. :)

Mac issues still abound, and I haven't found a way to mitigate those at all - it seems to be a fundamental issue in the LScript system. Win32 and Win64 are all behaving just fine, by contrast.

Phil
12-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Oh, and I forgot to note that I am in the early stages of exploring a Python version of Passport. I'm hoping 11.5 brings an improved Mac LScript layer to buy me some time to work on it. I have some very long flights in January, though, so it's a good time to be scheduling that kind of work.