PDA

View Full Version : need some info...

Kaced
12-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Santa wants to buy me a laptop, I have lightwave v9.2 I have not done any graphics for a few years.(obviously) Basically I'll have to relearn it all... I guess I need to know will this version run on windows 7, will I have to upgrade my lightwave, should I be looking at specific hardware for maximum performance? Hate sounding like a newb but hey...gotta start somewhere...

electricanimation
12-26-2010, 02:09 PM
10 is running on my computer

Cageman
12-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Santa wants to buy me a laptop, I have lightwave v9.2 I have not done any graphics for a few years.(obviously) Basically I'll have to relearn it all... I guess I need to know will this version run on windows 7, will I have to upgrade my lightwave, should I be looking at specific hardware for maximum performance? Hate sounding like a newb but hey...gotta start somewhere...

Well... LW9.2 is kind of old... LW9.3.1, LW9.5 and LW9.6 should all be downloadable from your personal page at http://register.newtek.com/

:)

From what I know, LW9.x should work on pretty much any computer you can buy, be it a windowsbased or applebased laptop or workstation. That said, it is known that LW performs worse on ATI/AMD based graphicscards, so if you can, pick a laptop that is using NVidia for graphics.

LW9.x and LW10 works well under WindowsXP (x32 and x64), Windows Vista (x32 and x64) and Windows 7 (x32 and x64).

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

Dexter2999
12-26-2010, 02:19 PM
For LW as a general rule I tend to shy away from ATI. People who have them, love them, until they have a problem.

I just stay with NVidia as a general rule to be safer.
Might look at one of the Alienware laptops if you have the money. Fast, increased graphics (more for gamers actually), but overall fairly high end stuff designed for performance.

One thing about running on a laptop is 32 bit or 64 bit OS's. Laptops are limited in RAM. So it isn't like you are going to get the most benefit from a 64 bit OS with reguards to working with huge scenes that need huge amounts of RAM. But staying with a 32bit OS does mean that the majority of plug in's will be available to you (many free.)

Hope this helps.

Sensei
12-26-2010, 03:20 PM
32 bit plugins work perfectly on 64 bit machine and 64 bit Windows, but with LW 32 bit installed.

Cageman
12-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Just to clarify what Sensei said:

There is really no point in not installing a 64-bit OS these days. LightWave 32-bit can be installed and used without any issues under XP x64, Vista x64 and Windows 7 x64, and, as Sensei said, you can take advantage of alot of 32-bit only plugins avaliable for LW. There isn't any difference from running a 32-bit OS and 32-bit LW. The uppside, however is that if you do get lots of ram for your laptop, you can install LightWave 64bit and take advantage of the higher memory allocation without having to do any upgrades to your OS etc.

So, bottomline is: Go for a 64-bit OS, install and use 64/32 bit software!

Cheers!