PDA

View Full Version : NEW VIDEO!!! 3D Coat 3.5 for Lightwave Users-Normal and Displacement Maps

adamgibson
12-26-2010, 01:53 AM
3D Coat 3.5 for Lightwave Users-Normal and Displacement Maps-by Adam Gibson

http://www.learn3dsoftware.com/3dc_35_lightwave_users_norm_displace.htm

In this videos series we show 3D students how to use 3D Coat and Lightwave 3D together as an easy and functional workflow and pipeline in your 3D projects. Although this video series uses Lightwave 3D as the final output for your 3D Coat work, the concepts and principles used here will work with all the most popular 3D programs like 3D Max, Maya, Softimage, Modo, Cinema 4D and many others.

In this video tutorial 3D Instructor Adam Gibson demonstrates how to detail a Suchomimus dinosaur using 3D Coat's Normal and Displacement Mapping tools. Learn how to take plain and low-detailed models and spice them up by adding muscle, bone, tendon, skin folds, bumps and scales to their surface.

Then the video finishes off by showing the secrets of taking the normal and displacement maps created in 3D Coat and exporting them out for use in Lightwave 3D.

Although setting up Normal Maps in Lightwave is relatively easy, Displacement Maps can be slightly challenging. Displacement Map set-up using the Node Editor is shown in great detail.

Table of Contents for Normal and Displacement Maps

Chapter 1- Intro

Chapter 2- Saving Out the Body Layer of the Mesh

Chapter 3- Import Body Layer into 3D Coat

Chapter 4- UV's and Displacements

Chapter 5- Detailing Leg Muscles

Chapter 6- Detailing the Feet

Chapter 7- Arm Detailing

Chapter 8- Detailing the Hands

Chapter 9- Creating Skin Rings

Chapter 10- Creating the Rib Cage

Chapter 11- Creating Spine Bones

Chapter 12- Detailing the Top and Side of the Head

Chapter 13- Throat and Lower Jaw Detailing

Chapter 14- Detailing the Tail

Chapter 15- Increasing the Texture Mesh Resolution

Chapter 16- Adding a New Displacement Layer

Chapter 17- Adding Scales Part 1

Chapter 18- Adding Scales Part 2

Chapter 19- Adding Scales Part 3

Chapter 20- Adding Scales Part 4

Chapter 21- Adding Scales Part 5

Chapter 22- Adding Scales Part 6

Chapter 23- Adding Scales Part 7

Chapter 24- Exporting Normal and Displacement Maps

Chapter 25- Normal and Displacement Maps Preview in Photoshop

Chapter 26- Normal Map Set Up in Lightwave 3D

Chapter 27- Displacement Map Set Up in Lightwave 3D

Chapter 28- How to Import and Export Nodes in Lightwave 3D

Chapter 29- Final

http://www.learn3dsoftware.com/3dc_35_lightwave_users_norm_displace.htm

Running Time: 5 hrs. 48 mins.

Screen Resolution: 1440 x 900 pixels

Format: Quicktime Video

dyls_E
12-26-2010, 06:50 PM
i cant stand 3d coat. there is nothing easy or straight foward about any of it. even if i do manage to get something slightly looking right in the program there just seems to be no way to export it to something usable.

geothefaust
12-26-2010, 11:40 PM
i cant stand 3d coat. there is nothing easy or straight foward about any of it. even if i do manage to get something slightly looking right in the program there just seems to be no way to export it to something usable.

Sounds like you are doing something funky. I've had no issues working or exporting in 3D-Coat.

Besides, don't you think your post is off topic? It has nothing to do with Adam's training. It would be prudent to keep your posts on topic. :offtopic:

Greenlaw
12-27-2010, 02:01 AM
I've been a 3D-Coat user ever since the pre-release beta of version 1.0, and I have never had trouble exporting usable results for Lightwave. In fact, the reason I chose 3DC over ZBrush or Mudbox all those years ago was because it was actually easier to use and the results were far more compatible with Lightwave than those two. Even back then, 3DC (then called 3D-Brush) introduced features that went beyond what was available anywhere else, a tradition its lone creator Andrew Shpagin has maintained ever since. Voxel sculpting, autoretopology, and ptex support are some of the cutting edge features that immediately come to mind. All this at a very affordable price.

Your post implies that the program is not capable of exporting data for Lightwave which simply isn't true. Used properly, 3DC not only exports fully compatible Lightwave objects, it even sets up the basic surface nodes in the Node Editor for you.

G.

lino.grandi
12-27-2010, 02:18 AM
Yes, 3D Coat works beautifully with LightWave.

You have the freedom of voxels for sculpting, very advanced and easy to use retopology tools and beautiful painting...and exporting the final model and textures to LightWave is very easy.

UnCommonGrafx
12-27-2010, 06:12 AM
Umm,
You don't say much for yourself in that statement... It's a one-click solution back to LW.
You should share what your problems have been.

The reason I came in here is to make a plea. Could you provide a script or caption your material? (All you makers of tutes, that is.) I work with Deaf students and they do well with the vids I've provided but they would do much better if they could get more from the vids.

We have academic versions of 3dc and any (proper) training material would be great.