PDA

View Full Version : rendering quastions

khalid
12-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Hi All.
I have question not sure where to get the answer from....

- Does lightwvae use GPU for render?
- Does it have the option to Render using both GPU and CPU at the same time?

thanks for the support
khalid

Matt
12-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi All.
I have question not sure where to get the answer from....

thanks for the support
khalid

No, LightWave doesn't use the GPU for rendering (only used for display, and in CORE for Hardware Shading in OGL) it's all CPU based. Much has been made of GPU rendering like it's the holy grail, but the reality is that memory and complex calculations limit their usefulness, at the moment.

Sensei
12-24-2010, 10:00 AM

No.

No.

GPU rendering doesn't handle ray-tracing well and have to cheat a lot to do such things like reflections, refractions, ambient occlusion or radiosity.

Dexter2999
12-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Sensei-

You know way more about this than I do, so I have a question. Could they use a GPU to render (as an option) for a Baking Camera? Or OpenGL views?

I know they don't now. But would these things make sense?

Sensei
12-24-2010, 10:16 AM
LightWave surface baking camera is using ray-tracing. Ray origin is calculated from polygon spot using:

ray_origin = spot_position - offset * spot_normal; (f.e. smoothed normal vector)
ray_direction = -spot_normal;

(offset is set in Surface Baking Camera Properties "Offset from surface")

For very basic things, not using nodes, not using procedural textures, no reflections or refractions, special surface baking plugin which utilize GPU can be made, but it would be really move backward without ability to bake all things people want to bake in the first place, to have fast render times using image maps..

Such GPU surface baking camera would use the same technique of rendering as Classic camera - scan line with Z depth buffer to reject everything what is farer from camera than the closest polygon.
This would work nicely to find out what is closest, and what normal vectors it has, weights.

khalid
12-24-2010, 11:24 AM
No, LightWave doesn't use the GPU for rendering (only used for display, and in CORE for Hardware Shading in OGL) it's all CPU based. Much has been made of GPU rendering like it's the holy grail, but the reality is that memory and complex calculations limit their usefulness, at the moment.

Big thanks Matt... all the info was great!!

Thanks Guys... :)

JonW
12-24-2010, 02:05 PM
For this example I found LW faster. GPU rendering is all a bit over rated.

Attached is the GPU scene set up for LW as best as I could. The GPU scene has some strange lighting & DOF blur, it must be like that to help it render quicker. But the scene will give you a reasonable comparison of speed & quality.