PDA

View Full Version : Refined and integrated network rendering

jds580s
09-26-2003, 11:11 AM
I would love to see a refined and better integrated network rendering capabilities in LW 8.x

I put together some thoughts and mock-ups
LW Network Rendering Feature Request (http://onthez.com/temphosting/lw_network_rendering/index.html)

Justin

DaveW
09-26-2003, 11:44 AM
Looks pretty nice. I think there should be a way to see available nodes before you start rendering and remotely enable/disable nodes, and of course you should be able to add and remove nodes during a render.

jds580s
09-26-2003, 11:48 AM
Very good points! I would consider that 'administration' and thus those functions could be available under the 'Network Rendering' option on the sys tray

http://onthez.com/temphosting/lw_network_rendering/tray_lightwave.gif

Justin

mtvedten
09-26-2003, 11:58 AM
The Spider application does just that. And its free!

You can even install it remotely ann all PCs in the network at once.

http://www.stationx.com/index.htm

But yes, it should be an integrated part in LightWave.

Morten

jds580s
09-26-2003, 02:15 PM
Very true. There are many options for network rendering, ScreamerNet as well as 3rd party solutions. Spider seems great, but I'm reluctant to use it with 8.0 so close to being available seeing as it looks like there won't be any future updates to Spider.

You can even install it remotely ann all PCs in the network at once.

Now that's a feature I didn't think of, it would be very handy!

Justin

papou
09-27-2003, 11:45 AM
hi, i would love to see something like the cluster rendering od Dfx+ module5...look like very interesting to powerup LW.

hey, Justin, If i push F9 with network rendering enabled, did Lw will strippe the frame and send to all nodes?
oo yes i want something like distributed render!!

jds580s
09-29-2003, 07:43 AM
I think F9 distributed rendering would be a great idea! Does anyone know the best approach to doing this? I was thinking of just using multiple segments on individual nodes, but then you run into problems with plugins that require images to be rendered in one pass.

Justin

Mylenium
09-29-2003, 09:20 AM
Well, the idea is appealing, but I think it won't work that easily. It quite possibly would require a total re-write of the entire rendering pipeline (it's not just the image filters, that often require one segment). For now, the best we can hope for is managing batch renders in a more comfortable way by getting rid of this outdated command directory approach and controlling things directly instead. I doubt however, that it will be as easy as you suggest. So far I have not seen anything on how you want to manage network configuration and this could be a major problem. There are so many things to take into account like user priviliges, DNS etc..

Mylenium

Heimhenge
09-30-2003, 11:08 PM
Mylenium: good point about user privs etc. I don't see how that could be changed remotely unless you did some work up front. Sorta like with DriveImage, where you goota go around the network and setup a V2i account on every machine first. But heck, that could be a separate routine also run from the LW install disc. Just carry it around to all the machines and run it, like the MS network setup disc.

I also vote for an integrated rendernet feature.