PDA

View Full Version : Free Script: Animated Limited Region

Matt
12-22-2010, 08:06 AM
Hi All

A little early present for you. Something I've been working on in my spare time (what little I have at the moment!)

Allows you to animate the Limited Region tool in Layout. Has two modes, one that just renders on the frames you 'key', and Interpolate mode (linear) which will tween between all the frames you 'key'.

As always, code is uncompiled and commented for others to learn from as I did.

Video: How To Use Animated Limited Region Script (http://www.pixsim.co.uk/LW_Scripts/Animated_Limited_Region_Video.zip)
Quicktime H.264, 44.6MB

Enjoy!
Matt

WilliamVaughan
12-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Much Appreciated! I'm sure this will come in handy immediately!

probiner
12-22-2010, 08:12 AM
:thumbsup: You couldn't just wait for 25th... thanks

Bog
12-22-2010, 09:10 AM
There are days, Matt, when I could kiss you.

Matt
12-22-2010, 09:28 AM
There are days, Matt, when I could kiss you.

Steady on! Oh okay, go on then, as it's you! :D

Matt
12-22-2010, 09:39 AM
LOL, I guess HowardM will be happy now! :D

http://www.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/22390.html?1020297121

3DBob
12-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks Matt, Something I could have done with many times.

Might just put it into the pipeline straight away.

HAPPY XMAS TO YOU!

3DBob.

Nicolas Jordan
12-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks Matt, I will add this to my plugin/script collection since it is likely to come in handy at some point. I really like the fact that you took the time to make a video to demonstrate how you intended your script to be used. :thumbsup:

probiner
12-22-2010, 03:05 PM
LOL, I guess HowardM will be happy now! :D

http://www.newtek.com/discus/messages/2/22390.html?1020297121

ahaha
He might just be...

Philbert
12-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Hmm Well I already have one that does this but I don't know who made it or remember how to work it properly. More is always better though!

Question: Is it 64 bit?

Oh I see it's just an LScript so it should work just fine with 32 or 64.

Thanks Matt yours seems to work better anyway, Happy holidays!

geo_n
12-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the script and a video explanation is always easier to understand.
Philbert - I think that's dponts plugin I have to check to be sure. Pretty useful for renderin gi artifacts.

OnlineRender
12-23-2010, 05:24 AM
excellent work !

funk
12-23-2010, 05:58 AM
Thanks Matt!

Kuzey
12-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Matt that is brilliant......but it can be a little more awesome :thumbsup:

Is there a way to render a Limited Region but have the rest of the camera frame in black or with a mask??

Each render is the same size of the original render....mostly blank, but with only the Limited Region areas rendered. Should make it easier to comp the updated renders back into the main image....just thinking, or is that beyond current LW(9.6/10)?

Kuzey

Philbert
12-23-2010, 06:59 AM
Can't you just check "With Borders"?

Kuzey
12-23-2010, 07:08 AM
Haha....I haven't used Limited Region before, so if it's possible...even better :D

Kuzey

Philbert
12-23-2010, 07:24 AM
Really never? heh Yes, normally if you click the Limited region button in the Render tab it will have black borders like this:
http://screencast.com/t/j2l7TD3tar

If you click it twice or pick it in Render Globals you will get just the area you selected like this:
http://screencast.com/t/nd2eK1qZPIu

Kuzey
12-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Oh...cool, I never got around to it...I just usually re-render the whole thing....silly me 8/

Kuzey

Philbert
12-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Yeah the alpha channel has the region in it so you can just drop it over your previous render. Saves a lot of rendering time.

http://screencast.com/t/FZ0V7qOufC5

Fadlabi
12-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks Matt!

Matt
12-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Matt that is brilliant......but it can be a little more awesome :thumbsup:

Is there a way to render a Limited Region but have the rest of the camera frame in black or with a mask??

Each render is the same size of the original render....mostly blank, but with only the Limited Region areas rendered. Should make it easier to comp the updated renders back into the main image....just thinking, or is that beyond current LW(9.6/10)?

Kuzey

As mentioned, check the 'Use Borders' option for each key.

Cageman
12-23-2010, 10:59 AM
That is a very handy script!

Thanks alot Matt, and merry Xmas to you to!

:)

kosmodave
12-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Many thanks for this one Matt, downloaded for future use. Are you still back here in the UK? if so I bet you're loving the temp outside :D, not quite Texas BBQ weather eh!

Dave

Edit; Merry Christmas by the way.

roger1972
12-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Thank you!!!:thumbsup:

zareh
12-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Thank you very much!

This can be very useful in cases where you've rendered an animation at a lower AA setting and some areas of your frame are aliasing due to high frequency geometry or texture maps. Rather than waste CPU cycles on the rest of the frame for antialiasing these few problem spots one can use your great script to concentrate the CPU cycles where they are needed and pour on the AA onto the areas that really need it. Afterwords you just comp in the re-rendered patches on top of the lower AA frames.

Again, thank you for this script. It will be very handy.

If I were to dream of future versions here is my list:

1. allow for multiple limited regions to be defined per frame (I know the LW SDK won't let you do that probably).

2. Make it such that you don't have to have an image filter to save the frames (I know also an LW limitation, nothing you can do). This way you can submit the scene to the render farm.

Thank you,
Zareh

zareh
12-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Just tested it on our render farm and unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on a render farm.

Still great job on the script.

Best Regards,
Zareh

adk
12-23-2010, 05:57 PM
Gold !!! Cheers a whole bunch Matt :thumbsup:

nickdigital
12-23-2010, 06:29 PM
Impressive script. Thanks!

Matt
12-24-2010, 01:52 AM
Just tested it on our render farm and unfortunately it doesn't seem to work on a render farm.

Still great job on the script.

Best Regards,
Zareh

No it won't work with ScreamerNet I'm afraid, sorry I should have pointed that out.

The reason being it needs to work with F9 renders as changing the camera frame size of an F10 causes a crash. Probably because LW isn't expecting the change, whereas an F9 starts each frame from scratch.

COBRASoft
12-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Nice script!

I really like the renderspeed of your computer :D. I have to get me an I7 980.

Philbert
12-24-2010, 06:13 AM
Just checked the DPont one and it also does not use screamernet, but I believe it will do normal F10 renders. So that's an option:
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Animated_LR.html#Animated_LR

(Hope I'm not stepping on your toes Matt, I still like yours better)

Matt
12-24-2010, 10:02 AM
Just checked the DPont one and it also does not use screamernet, but I believe it will do normal F10 renders. So that's an option:
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Animated_LR.html#Animated_LR

(Hope I'm not stepping on your toes Matt, I still like yours better)

I never even knew about that one!

Just tried it with F10, crashed here.

Philbert
12-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Interesting, I thought I remembered using it with F10 a long time ago, but I may be remembering wrong.

dpont
12-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I never even knew about that one!

Just tried it with F10, crashed here.

Yes but randomly, not an excuse but
I don't think this is fixable, there's only
one event type working for updating but
I guess that sequence rendering doesn't
like LW Command at this place,
also LWSN doesn't support LW Command at all.

Denis.

Matt
12-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Yes but randomly, not an excuse but
I don't think this is fixable, there's only
one event type working for updating but
I guess that sequence rendering doesn't
like LW Command at this place,
also LWSN doesn't support LW Command at all.

Denis.

I put it down to the camera frame size changing when LW wasn't expecting it, but maybe it's something else. F9 sequences work just fine though.

Philbert
12-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Maybe you can team up and make the perfect animated LR plugin. :)

Matt
12-25-2010, 03:44 AM
Maybe you can team up and make the perfect animated LR plugin. :)

:D I think Denis can do just find without me! He's a talent!

dpont
12-25-2010, 04:14 AM
...the perfect animated LR...

Or vote to get native envelopable LR in 10.x.

Denis.

archijam
12-25-2010, 04:15 AM
or vote to get native envelopable lr in 10.x.

+1 :)

Philbert
12-25-2010, 05:52 AM
Well yeah you could request that NT does it.... :p

nickdigital
12-25-2010, 10:48 AM
I found this on the lwplugindb:
http://lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=2a99e91e

Similar to what Denis and Matt made, though not as interactive.

kevman3d
12-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Nice spotting - though not quite the same - this one is an image filter, so it means the whole frame is rendered first, then it saves an area of the image out. That said, could come in handy if you wanted to export out sections of an image as separate sequences... :)

hdace
12-28-2010, 07:03 PM
I'll be using this nearly everyday.

cg_mike
05-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks so much for this script, Matt.

I'm trying to get this to work "with borders" so that the interpolated limited region can overlay onto an existing animation, but am having no luck regardless of which Image Filter is used.

The PSD Export, RPF Export, and RLA Export, for example, crop the output file to the size of the limited region rather than preserving the frame size defined in the camera settings. Even if I leave the Image Viewer open and confirm the borders are intact at render time, the exporters cut off the extra space.

I also tried exporting the renders with Section Saver and set it to export the full camera frame size -- but then the region gets repositioned to the upper left corner of the frame regardless of its original position. Ugh.

Has anyone had any luck with this? Am I missing something obvious? I don't normally export files via the Image Filters, so maybe I'm doing something wrong -- but this seems very odd.

Any help would be most welcome!

wrench
05-21-2011, 02:00 PM
I was told some time back that the frame size was coded to never changed when doing a sequence render (F10), which is a shame because it would be really handy to set up a single surface baking camera to do a whole scene of objects at different resolutions as necessary, rather than having to set up multiple cameras, etc.

B

cg_mike
10-04-2012, 03:41 AM
Got a PM asking if I ever found a solution. I did, and am back to share the workflow!
If you couldn't get full-size frames to export, here's one way to do it...

Video: How To Export Full-Size Frames with Animated Limited Region (http://www.dmwi.net/training/anim_lim_region_demo.zip) (43 MB)

This method works by skipping the Image Processing tab entirely and using Info Saver (http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=8a6ea885) instead. A bit of housekeeping results, but it's nothing that can't be easily managed with some simple batch processing or a few clicks plus a renaming tool like Métamorphose (http://file-folder-ren.sourceforge.net/).

I've since used this workflow in production here for speedy tweaks on client projects, and dozens of times on a point-and-click adventure game where the player can interact or change things in the environments and all possible states needed to be reflected in various videos.

Have fun!

Wilfrick
09-03-2013, 02:35 AM
Info Saver works and "can" resolve the really big problem of PSD export (no borders and no sRGB)..... but with lw11.6 (I haven't tested with other versions) the images saved (tga32, or tiff 32, or PNG32... not important what you select) has the alpha channel all black. No white area.... so can't use the renders in compositing (AE or other).
Can resolve?
Thankyou for help.

cg_mike
09-04-2013, 02:52 AM
I'm still on LW9.6 here, Wilfrick, so unfortunately I can't test or offer much help with LW11.6 (yet).

Have you tried contacting Ken Nign, author of the Info Saver script?

Wilfrick
09-04-2013, 10:56 AM
So I will write him.

After some tests I found that alpha works with "disabled color space", but with sRGB and other it doesn't works.
The problem is only in one voice: "display color space" (under Apply color space)... must be linear to build a correct alpha (all other can be what you want). But for my work I use always sRGB :(

Wilfrick
09-04-2013, 11:19 AM
I searched and searched about an email address, or a link, but nothing to do, I didn't found how to write him.

Matt
09-04-2013, 11:56 AM
I'll pass it on.

Wilfrick
09-04-2013, 12:09 PM
thankyou Matt.

DuneBoy
09-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Ken here.

Wow InfoSaver, that's a while ago. Didn't know anybody was using it.

After work I'll try and take a look at what's going on and see about a fix.

Wilfrick
09-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Oh... Animated limited region by Matt + InfoSaver by you Ken are a "present from sky"!

Think about a video, 6800 frames... think about a crazy customer (ok, all customers are crazy, but some are supercrazy)... think about a 25 days of rendering...... and the customer always ask little changes like a stupid color in a little area of render... think that some areas need more AA.... and you will see how much your plug (+ Matt plug) is "gold".
I don't find a better saver for F9 renders that your InfoSaver. All others have big problems (like all other An.Lim.Region have big crash problems, only Matt' solution works).

Really thankyou.

Wilfrick
10-25-2013, 07:49 AM
Nothing to do?
I mean with alpha channel in InfoSaver.

Wilfrick
10-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Ops... sorry, I see now the notification...

3dworks
10-03-2014, 09:16 AM
this little gem is crashing here with LW 11.6.2/3 on mac.

anyone else experiencing this? :oye:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?143827-denis-pont-matt-gorner-animated-limited-region-plugins-failing-with-LW-11-6-x

cheers

markus

PS "render F9 sequence together with 'auto image saver' plugin is a sort of workaround but does not save images with borders. so, additional work in after effects, later...

tonyrizo2003
10-03-2014, 09:47 AM
very cool!!
Thank you :)

3dworks
10-03-2014, 10:06 AM
very cool!!
Thank you :)

same problem?