PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #106 - Creature Feature

Nangleator
12-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Renders are optional! Post wires, though, and at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Whether your creature is horrifying or beautiful or mechanical or cartoon, let's see its best facial feature. Nose, eye, mouth, or ear. Choose one and show it off. Want to start learning character modeling? This is your big chance!

Time Limit - 60 minutes
Deadline - Wednesday 6th January 2011, 2200 GMT -- 2 weeks! This is a busy time, so the two weeks will be necessary.

JeffrySG
12-22-2010, 09:55 AM
cool topic!

Here's a great little get started thread for some face parts:
http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2806

and this too:
http://www.pixelandpoly.com/graphics/referenceimages/eye_nose_mouth.jpg

COBRASoft
12-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Oh, I have an idea for this one. Nice topic, but difficult for me. Time to expand my limitations :D!

Nangleator
12-22-2010, 01:34 PM
I left a loophole for the organically-challenged (like myself.) Make it mechanical or monstrous, if you like!

XswampyX
12-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Oooh, Well chosen.

1st ever ear....

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Ear1.jpg

I might make a stand for the render, if that's ok?

Nangleator
12-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Oh, renders are welcome, but not necessary!

Geez, an ear... Good job!

COBRASoft
12-22-2010, 05:25 PM
oh my, what an entry for a starter!

Nangleator
12-22-2010, 06:17 PM
Here's one I did for fun. It would translate to a crazy-high poly count, if I expanded it to do a whole face, but for doing just a mouth, I suppose it's fine.

It's a celebrity mouth. Can anyone guess who?

Don't look at the corners of the mouth. I really didn't handle them well. (Good thing I'm not getting judged!)

RudySchneider
12-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Mick or Angelina?

Nangleator
12-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Mick or Angelina?
Downright difficult to find pics of either of them with their mouths closed!

But, no. Someone else. If no one can guess it, I'll understand I need more practice!

R.Feeney
12-22-2010, 06:29 PM
A little or not so little nose.
Some nice work there guys

probiner
12-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Ok... so it's settled right?
In the end we are going to stitch everything up right? :D

I feel like modeling some boobs or worse lol

Nangleator
12-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Nice to see you here, Richard!

Pay attention, guys, Richard nose what he's doing! Be careful, or I'll pick his entry. It's nothing to sniff at!

Here's a quick and dirty render of my mouth. I got the lighting wrong... it's the kind of mistake many of us may be making soon.

R.Feeney
12-22-2010, 07:01 PM
These were not done for the challenge but I thought someone might be interested.
The models and all the stages shown here are on the free speed model thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101465)
http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80463&stc=1&d=1261400802
Eye Eye (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=963877&postcount=244)

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=80460&stc=1&d=1261400368
Ear this (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=963874&postcount=243)

COBRASoft
12-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Hi all,

I tried to model a robot eye with zoom function and rotation (hence the rubber on the sphere for grip).

Modeling took about 50 min, rendering took ambarassing too long :D.

Greetings and Merry X-mas,
Sigurd

robert_Lavigne
12-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Wow Its been awhile since I checked in on these contest but Feeney, you still got it. Those are some gorgeous lines on the nose and ear. I always struggle with those. Sweet Robo-eye cobra. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is up to. Perhaps I'll take a shot at this weeks since I'm outta school for another week. It's been so long since I've been in modeler though I'm kinda scared whats gonna happen.

Etch
01-03-2011, 11:37 PM
I also made a human ear. First time I've attempted an ear so I'm kind of surprised I was able to get something roughly ear shaped in ~40mins.

I screen cap'd myself as I built so I could go through and see my own process. I didn't realized that at some points in the modeling I almost end up just sitting there and flipping the perspective viewport around and around for 5 mins.

Nangleator
01-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Heh, very nice! It's funny about noticing yourself doing that. My biggest problem in following Taron's Head Modeling tutorial is trying to go as fast as he does. Now, I'm forcing myself to take long periods to just rotate the 3D view and tweak points.

It's a good habit!

Kuzey
01-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Great stuff so far.....I was going to do a robot eye as well...haha :beerchug:

Time is almost up, and I have no idea for the next challenge:

If you have a suggestion just jump in:

-How low can you go! (models that are great and under a certain x polycount)
-There's an app for that!
-One texture to rule them all (Create a model that will go well with my free gecko surface).

That's about it...I think.

Edit: Or we can extend this one for another week??????

:)

Kuzey

Nangleator
01-04-2011, 07:59 AM
A special holiday extension would make sense. Seems like 2 pages of entries isn't enough for this subject.

It would give you time to come up with another subject.

COBRASoft
01-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Perhaps a week longer. Sorry to 'beat' you Kuzey for the robot eye, but I'm sure you can beat me in quality :D. It would be interesting to see yours.

As ideas go... How about 'tables'. Round, oval, square, ... all shapes and materials (inside/outside)?

Kuzey
01-04-2011, 01:07 PM
A special holiday extension would make sense. Seems like 2 pages of entries isn't enough for this subject.

It would give you time to come up with another subject.

That sounds like a good plan to me :thumbsup:

Perhaps a week longer. Sorry to 'beat' you Kuzey for the robot eye, but I'm sure you can beat me in quality :D. It would be interesting to see yours.

As ideas go... How about 'tables'. Round, oval, square, ... all shapes and materials (inside/outside)?

Cool design btw. :thumbsup:

I might expand on the table idea to include furniture ornamental trim/carvings. Those little architectural details on objects, that set one design period from another....Mmmmmmm.

Kuzey

COBRASoft
01-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Any progress on this challenge? It seems quite dead to me. Perhaps it's better to start next one?

Nangleator
01-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Sorry about the delay. Let's call this one done and get on to the next!

XswampyX: Great ear for your first attempt, and for a 1-hour challenge!

Nangleator: Disqualified! It was an attempt at Michelle Pfeiffer's pursed lips.

Richard: A stout nose, perhaps from some craggy, old character actor. Great flow!

COBRASoft: A technological eye, of the sort that you might have to squeeze in an industrial press in order to survive. Cool design!

Etch: Another ear, and another first! Good job, and I bet you learned a lot from it.

I'm going to award this one to XswampyX's ear! It matches the reference extremely well. The mesh is a bit dense, but that wasn't part of the contest, so that's fair enough.

Great job, and thanks everyone for joining!

IgnusFast
01-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Here's one I did for fun. It would translate to a crazy-high poly count, if I expanded it to do a whole face, but for doing just a mouth, I suppose it's fine.

It's a celebrity mouth. Can anyone guess who?

Don't look at the corners of the mouth. I really didn't handle them well. (Good thing I'm not getting judged!)

I haven't scrolled down to see if you've answered, but it looks like Jennifer Garner to me...

COBRASoft
01-13-2011, 05:39 AM
Congrats XswampyX! A well deserved win :).

Nangleator
01-13-2011, 06:34 AM
Geez, it does look like Jennifer Garner! Maybe I can change my answer!

Kuzey
01-13-2011, 06:43 AM
Well done XswampyX :thumbsup:

Kuzey

R.Feeney
01-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Well done XswampyX

XswampyX
01-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks a lot. :)