PDA

View Full Version : exporting obj file with normal map?

Svenart
12-22-2010, 06:22 AM
Hi,

I have to sent a scene with a lot of models to a client in .obj format. He wants everything with normal maps.

Exporting the models is easy, but after exporting the normal maps are missing. Is there a trick or has anyone a hint or idea that could help?

Sensei
12-22-2010, 06:33 AM
When I am making sphere in Modeler, and using File > Export > Export OBJ, normals are in obj file - I have loaded it in text editor, and 'vn' lines are visible.
Are you using -c parameter to redirect config directory for every copy of LW? Maybe you used old cfg file from old LW version and therefore in General Options > OBJ Write Normals is not turned on.. press 'o' and check this control.

Svenart
12-22-2010, 06:49 AM
I have to export a scenefile with alot of objects. So I have used Deepexploration for exporting. I cannot export it from modeler (well its possible but a roundabout way ).

In Lw, I have activated normalmapping on the models in nodeeditor, but when exporting to obj, node settings get lost.

I dont know if the obj format even can store normalmaps like colormaps or bumpmaps...

But if the client opens the obj file in his gameengine, he dont wants to apply all normalmaps to all 500 trees seperately... I think... :(

Sensei
12-22-2010, 07:14 AM
In Lw, I have activated normalmapping on the models in nodeeditor, but when exporting to obj, node settings get lost.

Normal mapping set in Node Editor was never and will never be exorted to obj.. It's LW specific environment. Obj file format can't understand.
The only way 3rd party app to understand it, is baking to image maps.

I dont know if the obj format even can store normalmaps like colormaps or bumpmaps...

Obj file format can only have normal vectors - each vector - different normal.

Maybe .mtl (material) file has normal mapping, I don't know. obj surely doesn't.

But if the client opens the obj file in his gameengine, he dont wants to apply all normalmaps to all 500 trees seperately... I think... :(

There is no other option, I think.

OnlineRender
12-22-2010, 08:02 AM
got ZB ?

OnlineRender
12-22-2010, 08:05 AM
from another source as in not my idea :

Dpont has normal baker , will that not work ?

Svenart
12-22-2010, 08:09 AM
creating the normalmaps is not the problem. I used Pb baker for baking the normals. Problem is that I can export to obj or 3ds only color/spec/bump mapping but not the normalmapping.

Unfortunately I dont own zbrush

3DeeNut
01-17-2011, 07:34 PM
maybe a dumb question, but, why wouldnt you just save the normal map out as a tga or png and then attach it in you game editor of choice? Why would you embed it in the 3D file. All you need is to ensure the uv space is all ok and you should be good to go no?

If anyone has a good tutorial on normal mapping / baking (high res to low res) i would greatly appreciate it. I have been using max lately and have learned the process in that but now I am forced to buy MAX and well, id rather flip back to Lightwave before I cough up the 3,995 for that flaming crapball of a program. They havent updated it in forever excepting cosmetic changes and they are basically forcing their customers into maya. Honestly, I can absolutely say F*&K Autodesk. They have pissed me off for the last time.

Svenart
01-17-2011, 07:59 PM
maybe a dumb question, but, why wouldnt you just save the normal map out as a tga or png and then attach it in you game editor of choice? Why would you embed it in the 3D file. All you need is to ensure the uv space is all ok and you should be good to go no?

I just wanted to make it more comfortable for the client, that was the reason for asking. However, this is now no problem anymore :)

If anyone has a good tutorial on normal mapping / baking (high res to low res) i would greatly appreciate it.

Baking from highpoly to lowpoly is easy and comfortable with the pbbaker in most cases. If this dont work, you can try the Surface Baking Camera in Layout. I dont know a good tutorial, but if you have specific question I can try to help.

I have been using max lately and have learned the process in that but now I am forced to buy MAX and well, id rather flip back to Lightwave before I cough up the 3,995 for that flaming crapball of a program. They havent updated it in forever excepting cosmetic changes and they are basically forcing their customers into maya. Honestly, I can absolutely say F*&K Autodesk. They have pissed me off for the last time.

I never used 3dmax, but nearly 70% of all possible clients ask me for it. That sucks. But after reading this Im thinking about to tell the next client that i dont want work with "discarded" Software :D

GraphXs
01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Did ya try just placing the normal in the LW T bump channel? If he is using Max, ya could just pack up the normals and he will need to put them on manually in Max, the diffuse will load fine.

Even if the normal does get loaded from LW bump channel in the Max bump channel via OBJ. Max uses a sub material called normal bump that he would have to apply to a Max standard material bump channel.

Svenart
01-19-2011, 10:18 AM
good tip, thank you :)