PDA

View Full Version : Measuring distance in layout

wesleycorgi
12-21-2010, 03:37 PM
I am trying to find a technique or plug where you can measure the arbitrary distance between objects in Layout, similar to the Measure Tool in Modeler. I saw an old link on Flay to the plug beh_measure, which sounded like it may do the trick. I would also like to measure angle, etc.

nickdigital
12-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Not sure about angle but I found this:
http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=645

wesleycorgi
12-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Awesome, works like a charm (and with LW10 Mac to boot). Thanks! I've always did a very clumsy thing to find this info in the past. I am always happily surprised at all the clever folks who create LW plugs and Lscripts.

tburbage
12-22-2010, 12:05 AM
For distance, you can always use the Range Finder Custom Object set up on one of two nulls (for example), then just position the two nulls where you want the start/end points to be. Range Finder will display the distance in current scene units in the viewport...

There is another Custom Object call Protractor which is OK if all you want is an eyeball estimation of angle, but unfortunately doesn't provide a means to give a precise readout.

wesleycorgi
12-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks! That's even better. It's a bit more interactive to use Range Finder and I can get a more accurate measurement from specific points.

I also like how you can draw a link. I'm embarrassed of how I've been using LW for several years and continue to find how little I know!

virtualcomposer
12-22-2010, 10:52 AM
is this for mac as well? I have 9.6. Is this a default plug in the newer version of LW?

bazsa73
12-22-2010, 11:43 AM
I forgot existence of Range Finder completely. Cool feature.

wesleycorgi
12-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Yes, it works for me (I use Mac version of LW): both Range Finder and the plug Nick suggested. There are some nice features in Range Finder; I can't believe I haven't used it all this time.

Ryste3d
12-25-2010, 10:20 AM
is this for mac as well? I have 9.6. Is this a default plug in the newer version of LW?

yes