PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with UV Mapping (Zbrush to LW)

silentivo
12-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Hi, I'm new to this forum, and to LW itself. I've been having LW lessons at college, but we just learn the basics.

So, for this semmester's final project, I gotta do something in LW, and I chose to do a simple animated loop. I didn't learn texturing, so I've been trying on my own.

I imported my .obj (see attachments) in Zbrush and used the "UV Master" Plugin to create a UV Map of the obj.
Then I selected "Draw polyframe" and in "Texture Map" I chose "New from UV Check", which gave me a nice image of the flattened model with the polygon grid.

I then opened that in photoshop and painted the texture for the model. (see attachments) The texture isn't finished yet tho.
After that, I imported that texture back into Zbrush and applied it to the .obj. It worked fine (see attachments)

Tho when I load the same .obj in LW, go to surface editor, select UV Projection and load the files, it seems the texture doesn't fit correctly (see attachments).
I've tried flipping UVs in LW but it didn't work (again, I was never taught anything about UVs and texturing in general.)

I'm pretty sure this is very simple to solve, but since I'm unexperienced and this is my first texture job, I have no idea how to do it. So if anyone could help me out, I'd be very grateful.

UnCommonGrafx
12-21-2010, 03:38 PM
can we see the uv texture?

smiling here.... if you've done the mapping in zb my guess is it looks a mess, i.e., not a contiguous map of it.

A REALLY GOOD UV looks like a pelt. Use zb's uv creation tool and polygroups to make better uv islands.

The UV map will work with zb. That is to say, polypaint it, save that image and that will work in lw.

Go find Steve Warners lw to zb to lw tome. As well, find the plg tools: automated tools still need some help.

silentivo
12-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the reply, but I seem to have made it work now.
I flipped the Vs of the .obj in Zbrush and when I opened it in LW it was working fine. I only tried flipping them in LW before.
Again, thanks anyway.

probiner
12-21-2010, 05:05 PM
EDIT: ups made a stupid question =)