PDA

View Full Version : Insert editing...

kdennis
09-26-2003, 08:51 AM
I am using a uvw1800 beta deck. I can control the deck with toaster's external controler but how can I set in and out point to record to the beta deck???

Let me explain... I have a 90 minute beta tape of this guy speaking, I need to insert some graphics at very specific points in the video. I thought I could use the external controler to cue up my tape, pre roll the record, and then automatically start VT's DDR to play the needed graphics at the in point, and then stop the deck at the out point.

Is this or something simular possible???

GregGerlach
09-29-2003, 09:02 PM
If you are using VT3, this is fairly easy, especially if your 90 minute tape is already striped with time code that starts with 0:00. But even if the time code doesn't start at 0:00 it's fairly simple. You can put your graphics or video clips in the time line and use the print to tape function to insert edit individual graphics or clips directly to your 1800. I've already tried this and it works great. The print to tape window has a lot of flexibility for setting the in an out points on your tape deck and selecting the in and out points in your project. Print to tape will do a pre-roll to make the edit.

Greg Gerlach
Lexington, KY

ted
09-29-2003, 10:37 PM
I would strongly suggest you make a copy of part of the tape with matching time code.
Then and only then practice to make sure everythig works and you haven't missed anything.:eek:
If you can't do that, at least practice on another tape.

kdennis
09-30-2003, 07:41 AM
Sorry Gang.. Didn't relise this was new to VT3.
Thanks for the info.

Kevin

OBroschart
09-30-2003, 07:58 AM
Hmmm... not bad! How extensive is this hybrid editing capability?

- for example, can you control a stream coming from a player deck, insert a DDR clip with a transition and record out to a recorder deck all in one shot?

If so, then our Incite Editor has some new competition.

bradl
10-10-2003, 02:48 PM
No, Print to Tape is only available to VTEdit projects...

Danner
10-10-2003, 09:32 PM
-- for example, can you control a stream coming from a player deck, insert a DDR clip with a transition and record out to a recorder deck all in one shot? --

Yes.. as long as you don't want to do an automatic insert edit of the whole thing.

OBroschart
10-14-2003, 07:18 AM
What do you mean by that, Danner?

Danner
10-14-2003, 11:26 PM
Maybe I miss understood what you want to do, by "controlling a stream" I now think you meant to control a player deck while you control a record deck simultaneously to do an insert of something you have on a DDR mixed with something on the player deck.

(hehe see how it can get confusing?)

What I understood before was.. I thought you wanted to know if a recorded tape (played manually) could be mixed with DDR footage and recorded at the same time. wich can be done, either to tape or hard disk.

OBroschart
10-15-2003, 07:21 AM
Yes, you understand what I mean in your first description.

I really should be referring to it as a "live input clip" rather than a stream. But the idea is to control a player and recorder deck at the same time to be able to bring live or taped footage into the switcher, overlay CG or transition to DDR and playing it all out to the recorder deck.

We currently have this facility with Incite Editor on a Digisuite and it saves us a lot of time as we don't need to capture it all.

I am curious to see if we have this same usability with our Toaster system. I'll be installing VT[3] on it this week.