PDA

View Full Version : Can I insert edit???

kdennis
09-26-2003, 08:48 AM
I am using a uvw1800 beta deck. I can control the deck with toaster's external controler but how can I set in and out point to record to the beta deck???

Let me explain... I have a 90 minute beta tape of this guy speaking, I need to insert some graphics at very specific points in the video. I thought I could use the external controler to cue up my tape, pre roll the record, and then automatically start VT's DDR to play the needed graphics at the in point, and then stop the deck at the out point.

Is this or something simular possible???

bradl
09-30-2003, 11:28 PM
From VTEdit you use 'Print to Tape' from the File menu drop down to set a TC In and Out point to edit to. You can choose to record enable from this module: Assy., Insert, Audio 1, Audio 2 and TC.

You cannot, of course, just record in on a your master tape to 'overlay' graphics on it, as you would be erasing it as you record. The only decks that can pull this off is Digibetas and the like using Pre-Read editing and SDI video which is a whole other subject and something you definately could not do with VT3 due to the inherient delays and likely picture shift.

If you are happy with cutting in/out full screen graphics, you could do that with out digitizing otherwise you will need to ingest your entire project into VT3 via 'Batch Capture' (or manual record) add your graphics and 'Print To Tape' onto a new stripped tape (timecoded and blackened).

I suppose you could attempt ingesting portions and 'matching' that back out to you master, but I wouldn't recommend it. If you do try it, make a safety copy first, then try to hide your edits, if needed, at cut points or dissolves.

johnq
10-01-2003, 10:53 AM
If your deck has an insert edit function, you should not get a glitch from the recording the new material over the old. It should look perfect after the insert edit. I can even do this on my consummer Sony SVHS deck. The trick is getting it frame accurate on the In and Out points, if that is needed. I think that is what is being asked is does VT set the deck to Insert mode and how accurate is it?

John