PDA

View Full Version : What is the schedule for the demo for lightwave 10?

frantbk
12-20-2010, 01:58 PM
Question: What month was Lightwave 10 released?

Wasn't lightwave 10 released in July, or August of 2010?

The reason I'm asking this question is because I just got off the phone with NewTek's 800-862-7837 service department. All I asked was when will the demo for lightwave 10 is being released.

The answer from NewTek's rep: It's not out there now?
Answer: No, the 9.6 demo is there, and it is two years old.
Rep answer to my reply: It will be released today, or tomorrow,....lightwave 10 was just released yesterday,...why don't you check back tomorrow, or the next day.

All I have to say is this: If you don't know when the demo will be released then say so, but DON"T F**K*** LIE about it.

nickdigital
12-20-2010, 02:10 PM
It'll be released soon. I'd say in the next 30 days as a guess.

No.

Things are probably chaotic at NewTek with the holidays and trying to wrap up work on 10 so I'm sure they're dealing with a lot right now.

DColboch
12-20-2010, 02:13 PM
A LightWave 10 Trial Edition will be available when LightWave 10 is officially released.

Dexter2999
12-20-2010, 03:20 PM

The reason I'm asking this question is because I just got off the phone with NewTek's 800-862-7837 service department. All I asked was when will the demo for lightwave 10 is being released.

Rep answer to my reply: It will be released today, or tomorrow,....lightwave 10 was just released yesterday,...why don't you check back tomorrow, or the next day.

All I have to say is this: If you don't know when the demo will be released then say so, but DON"T F**K*** LIE about it.

I think you are confusing the announcement of the pre-sales for LW10. They did roll out that ad campaign about the timeframe you are describing.

LW10 is scheduled for Q10 release. There has never been a hard date announced. There are less than 12 days left in Q10 and they seem to be on schedule.

So the demo will available soon. And you can quote me on that.

frantbk
12-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the FYI.
I haven't been around here for months.

What is up with this new guy NewTek has just hired?
Is Jay Roth still here. Is he still in charge of the lightwave with Core technology project?

You are probably right about the ad campaign being confused with the release of lightwave 10. Which NewTek should take some time to consider just how effective their ad campaign is. I downloaded one of the PDF brochure's on lightwave 10 and it was 90% NewTek post-production products (VT, and the others). It looks like the company is struggling (as usual) with the PR side of lightwave.

Anyway, thanks for the FYI about the release of lightwave 10. :beerchug:

nickdigital
12-21-2010, 11:14 AM
What is up with this new guy NewTek has just hired?

You mean this new guy?
http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5582

Rob is a seasoned industry vet and very experienced LW user. His firsthand Production experience has been instrumental in pushing LW10 to what it is now. Not only is he a hardcore LW user but he brings an infectious energy that has energized the LW community. Trust me when I say "Be excited." for the future of LW.

Kuzey
12-21-2010, 12:30 PM
A LightWave 10 Trial Edition will be available when LightWave 10 is officially released.

I presume Core won't be part of that trial edition....will it be part of the demo once Core goes gold?

Kuzey

nickdigital
12-21-2010, 01:39 PM
I would assume once Core is released that a demo would eventually be available. But this is a NewTek question.

Dexter2999
12-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Yeah, Newtek question. CORE is still in BETA and the BETA program is a closed program. So, I think that would be negative on the CORE trial until release.

Kuzey
12-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Yeah...that part is a given...no beta software in a public demo :D

I was just wondering, when Core does come out....will it be available to non HC members (the public) as a demo. Newtek may not want a trial release of Core to be freely available....since the focus shifted back to LW.

Kuzey

frantbk
12-21-2010, 04:34 PM
You mean this new guy?
http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5582

Rob is a seasoned industry vet and very experienced LW user. His firsthand Production experience has been instrumental in pushing LW10 to what it is now. Not only is he a hardcore LW user but he brings an infectious energy that has energized the LW community. Trust me when I say "Be excited." for the future of LW.

It might be him. In another thread two guys were talking about "the guy" whose name I don't remember, nor the name of the thread. The up-shot of the conversation was, whatever the new guy said in a statement means that everything Jay Roth stated prior to the new guy's statement (about lightwave 10) zeros out all of Roth's comments about where lightwave 10 is heading.

frantbk
12-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah...that part is a given...no beta software in a public demo :D

I was just wondering, when Core does come out....will it be available to non HC members (the public) as a demo. Newtek may not want a trial release of Core to be freely available....since the focus shifted back to LW.

Kuzey

Why would you not want a demo out after the release of lightwave 10? You don't really think people will fork-out about $1500.00 without handling the product so you? I watched the Lightwave video by Powers and the video cam connection that gives directors control of Lightwave. Power's said lightwave was to be released in the 4 quarter. I also noticed he didn't say what year that 4 quarter is in,...2010?, or was he talking about 2011 4th quarter? :devil: :D :o

OnlineRender
12-21-2010, 05:00 PM
You don't really think people will fork-out about $1500.00 without handling the product so you?

it would suprise you :deal:

cresshead
12-21-2010, 06:05 PM
it would suprise you :deal:
:agree:

i did for 3dsmax back in 1999...there we're no demo's back then at all...except a promo video cdrom and max was 3000

you can imagine my panic when i started to use it..."gee i gotta get this thing working...i;ve just spent a ton of cash!!":hey:

re LW10

a demo version is in the pipe i believe, just wait for it to become available.
should not be too long i feel.

Kuzey
12-22-2010, 05:41 AM
Why would you not want a demo out after the release of lightwave 10? You don't really think people will fork-out about $1500.00 without handling the product so you? I watched the Lightwave video by Powers and the video cam connection that gives directors control of Lightwave. Power's said lightwave was to be released in the 4 quarter. I also noticed he didn't say what year that 4 quarter is in,...2010?, or was he talking about 2011 4th quarter? :devil: :D :o

I'm not talking about LW10....it won't have Core as it's not finished yet, I'm talking about the Core component only :D

Core will be released in 2011, as it's still in beta, but no rough date has been posted, so as far as I know....it might well be 2011 4Q...just saying :hey:

Well, Newtek might think it's better to keep the Core component more or less secret...it's not going to be much of a product anyway (it doesn't replace Modeler and it doesn't replace Layout), so...it's pretty much a toy atm. Also, Newtek could use it as a carrot to get people to buy into LW11, when Core is in a better shape and has some "WOW" factor included etc. etc.

Kuzey

frantbk
12-23-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm not talking about LW10....it won't have Core as it's not finished yet, I'm talking about the Core component only

Core will be released in 2011, as it's still in beta, but no rough date has been posted, so as far as I know....it might well be 2011 4Q...just saying

Well, Newtek might think it's better to keep the Core component more or less secret...it's not going to be much of a product anyway (it doesn't replace Modeler and it doesn't replace Layout), so...it's pretty much a toy atm. Also, Newtek could use it as a carrot to get people to buy into LW11, when Core is in a better shape and has some "WOW" factor included etc. etc.

Lightwave 10 has to have core technology. If it does not have core technology then their isn't any reason for missing last years release of lightwave.

Remember NewTek was suppose to release lightwave core in 2009's 4th quarter. Having kick-a** demo's in 2010 is meaningless if another year is required. You wants to spend another year of "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" Also, it brings up the question of the ad campaign. If 2011 is the launch date, why do I want to waste 2010 playing with a beta? If NewTek has been stringing along the lightwave 10 community with betas for the last 2 years, what is going to keep them from stringing along the community for another 2 years, or 4 years?

You can keep saying there is a WOW factor in lightwave 10, but if lightwave 10 isn't released into the public domain it doesn't matter. Lightwave 10 will be nothing but a work-in-progress. By missing the 2009 date NewTek has said (without saying it) that core technology is more then they are able to handle. Two years later NewTek has a new ad campaign for discounts before the release of lightwve 10, but they don't know when it will be released. It will be released in the 4th quarter said Powers. Is that the 4th quarter of 2035? 2020? 2015? or 2010?

There isn't any carrot here to get people to buy lightwave 10. All the production houses that will invest in Lightwave 10 are already invested in lightwave 10, and they have been for the last 2 years. This leaves nothing but the general public, individuals, small start-up companies. There is no carrot with vaperware. Lightwave 10 is vaperware because it is still in beta, and it is still a work-in-progress. Lightwave 10 has to be released into the public domain change those to know fact about lightwave 10.

Nicolas Jordan
12-23-2010, 07:42 AM

The rep should really be checking the website while on the call to verify if 10 has been released or not if they aren't sure.

Kuzey
12-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Lightwave 10 has to have core technology. If it does not have core technology then their isn't any reason for missing last years release of lightwave.

Remember NewTek was suppose to release lightwave core in 2009's 4th quarter. Having kick-a** demo's in 2010 is meaningless if another year is required. You wants to spend another year of "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" Also, it brings up the question of the ad campaign. If 2011 is the launch date, why do I want to waste 2010 playing with a beta? If NewTek has been stringing along the lightwave 10 community with betas for the last 2 years, what is going to keep them from stringing along the community for another 2 years, or 4 years?

You can keep saying there is a WOW factor in lightwave 10, but if lightwave 10 isn't released into the public domain it doesn't matter. Lightwave 10 will be nothing but a work-in-progress. By missing the 2009 date NewTek has said (without saying it) that core technology is more then they are able to handle. Two years later NewTek has a new ad campaign for discounts before the release of lightwve 10, but they don't know when it will be released. It will be released in the 4th quarter said Powers. Is that the 4th quarter of 2035? 2020? 2015? or 2010?

There isn't any carrot here to get people to buy lightwave 10. All the production houses that will invest in Lightwave 10 are already invested in lightwave 10, and they have been for the last 2 years. This leaves nothing but the general public, individuals, small start-up companies. There is no carrot with vaperware. Lightwave 10 is vaperware because it is still in beta, and it is still a work-in-progress. Lightwave 10 has to be released into the public domain change those to know fact about lightwave 10.

I understand...I'm just saying as it has been reported just yesterday, LW10 will be released next week...but the Core component won't be...as stated a month back. So next week, when the LW10 demo is available, there will be two programs, not three....LW10 Modeler & LW10 Layout...No Core, as it's not done yet.

The fact is, if Newtek wanted to release all three programs as a bundle, then it would not be released next week and Newtek can't take another full delay in producing a product. They are hoping that a half delay is better than another full delay....no product at all. At least, people will get to play with LW10, while Core is reaching it's gold status....however, there is no information on how long that would take?

I'm more interesting in playing with Core, than with the traditional LW10. Although, I will download it...just to have a look see at Mac LW 64bit version :D

If you are expecting Core in this demo, then you'll be disappointed. People who have bought HC with get Core at a Later date....will it be available to the public as a demo....is something different altogether.

The question is, will Core be included in the LW10 demo after it goes gold, or will there be a separate demo, or will there be no demo of Core?

But we'll know, once we all know :D

Kuzey

cresshead
12-23-2010, 07:47 AM
my instinct is you'll only get a Core demo once Core V1.0 has been released as a shipping, production worthy product.

Cageman
12-23-2010, 08:04 AM

I'm using the Gold Master right now, so yes... I'm pretty sure LW10 will be released this month, and I believe there will be a 30 day full function trial version as well.

frantbk
12-23-2010, 08:56 AM
The rep should really be checking the website while on the call to verify if 10 has been released or not if they aren't sure.

I agree 100%. The rep. put NewTek in a bad light, and he pretty much put his department in the bottom of the out-house. I don't see how the person thought there was anything to gain by not being honest.

frantbk
12-23-2010, 09:19 AM
I understand...I'm just saying as it has been reported just yesterday, LW10 will be released next week...but the Core component won't be...as stated a month back. So next week, when the LW10 demo is available, there will be two programs, not three....LW10 Modeler & LW10 Layout...No Core, as it's not done yet.

Isn't that lightwave 9.6 being re-labeled lightwave 10? If so why didn't they do that last year? Also if lightwave 10 without core is 9.6 that brings up a legal question of bait & switch marketing. People bought into Lightwave Core (now called lightwave 10 with core technology), so Core technology can't be missing from lightwave 10 because of U.S. contract laws.

The fact is, if Newtek wanted to release all three programs as a bundle, then it would not be released next week and Newtek can't take another full delay in producing a product. They are hoping that a half delay is better than another full delay....no product at all. At least, people will get to play with LW10, while Core is reaching it's gold status....however, there is no information on how long that would take?

Which does nothing to side step a class action law suite of U.S. contract law, and U.S. law on bait & switch. NewTek has a legal obligation to meet the original reasonable expectation of 2 years ago with the release of lightwave 10 (whenever that is). This is of course the extreme end of the spectrum. The real question is does NewTek have any other choice but to release all three programs as a bundle to block any law suite of bait & switch? If all three programs are release to the current pre-payers of lightwave 10 then all reasonable expectations have been met.

I'm more interesting in playing with Core, than with the traditional LW10. Although, I will download it...just to have a look see at Mac LW 64bit version :D [/qutoe]

Which makes my point about expectations of lightwave 10.

[quote] If you are expecting Core in this demo, then you'll be disappointed. People who have bought HC with get Core at a Later date....will it be available to the public as a demo....is something different altogether.

Seeing that NewTek is billing ligthwave 10 as having core technology, it better have core technology, or it had better state that it doesn't have core technology. NewTek needs to be very clear about this product and its structure. The bait & switch laws do not care about demo v. production products.

The question is, will Core be included in the LW10 demo after it goes gold, or will there be a separate demo, or will there be no demo of Core?

But we'll know, once we all know :D

Kuzey

NewTek needs to stop, discuss this out, and think about the legal issues of false statements of product capability. If Lightwave 10 is released in the next week, and Core isn't a part of it. NewTek better be doing a better job of explaining what is core and what isn't core technology in Lightwave 10 (it's going to get messy if they don't).

frantbk
12-23-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm using the Gold Master right now, so yes... I'm pretty sure LW10 will be released this month, and I believe there will be a 30 day full function trial version as well.

OK, but what does that mean to the general public? I didn't see anything about a gold master series on the lightwave 10 website (Of course I haven't looked at it in a while). NewTek's message isn't clear on Lightwave 10, lightwave 10 with core technology, and Lightwave 9.6 re-labeled to Lightwave 10 (with maybe core technology, or not 8~).

cresshead
12-23-2010, 09:50 AM
OK, but what does that mean to the general public? I didn't see anything about a gold master series on the lightwave 10 website (Of course I haven't looked at it in a while). NewTek's message isn't clear on Lightwave 10, lightwave 10 with core technology, and Lightwave 9.6 re-labeled to Lightwave 10 (with maybe core technology, or not 8~).

gold master refers to the pre release candidate beta finally becoming the version that will be 'mastered' and so turned into the actual install dvd's

gold master means it's a recorded dvd disc not a 'pressed' or mass production version.

the gold master/beta version is now the same as what will be shipped/sold

ie...lw10 is done...just needs to go into mass production for discs, manuals and updated web pages...and the download version just needs uploading..and a 30 day demo version made so people can try out all the new features on their own computers.

bottom line?..."are we there yet?"//// yes we are!

SBowie
12-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Seeing that NewTek is billing ligthwave 10 as having core technology, it better have core technology, or it had better state that it doesn't have core technology. NewTek needs to be very clear about this product and its structure. The bait & switch laws do not care about demo v. production products.I really don't think we're going to see a Core episode of Law and Order. :)

Layout, in LW10, has VPR. VPR is Core technology; hypothetical legal problem solved. (This is not to say that there is not a firm and stated intent to deliver the actual Core app as part of the LW10 commitment, as well - but the fulfillment of that commitment is going to follow somewhat later, according to revealed info.)

Kuzey
12-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Getting information out of Newtek is like....well...next to impossible and when you do...you don't get any calcification in a timely manner 8/:D

Unfortunately, that's the way things have become. The one video a week, during the last 10 weeks disappeared faster than a UFO sighting.

One reason why that might be...is they can't decide what to do, one moment we have a subscription plan, next...we have something like a subscription plan, but we don't get the next version (LW11) if we buy today, we just get to test the beta of it.

So yeah...there is a lot to be frustrated about, I don't expect to get any info about Core, until that's out the door or even months later, depending on what Newtek does. Yet...I hope that all changes for the next round of development.

Boy.....I feel better now...haha!

Kuzey

SBowie
12-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Unfortunately, that's the way things have become. The one video a week, during the last 10 weeks disappeared faster than a UFO sighting.

One reason why that might be...There can be all sorts of reasons for things ... as, for example, unexpected staff changes or other situations that suddenly remove key individuals from things they were doing.

I'm not really in this particular loop, but occasionally stand close enough to it that when something goes by it fluffs up what's left of my hair. I can say with certainty that forum speculation often isn't anywhere near the mark. I'll admit, though, that one can leverage my remark to point out that a simple explanation would sometimes (by no means always) defuse a lot of silliness.

Sometimes I think everyone is just too busy, other times it seems like offering any info only leads to an endless cascade of 'yebbuts' and 'whatifs' anyway, and so maybe it seems to be a better use of limited time to just to play the waiting game. I'm not really defending anyone here, just my honest personal observations...

hrgiger
12-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Isn't that lightwave 9.6 being re-labeled lightwave 10? If so why didn't they do that last year? Also if lightwave 10 without core is 9.6 that brings up a legal question of bait & switch marketing. People bought into Lightwave Core (now called lightwave 10 with core technology), so Core technology can't be missing from lightwave 10 because of U.S. contract laws.

There's nothing bait and switch about CORE or Lightwave 10. If you bought Lightwave 10, then you are getting CORE but not til some undetermined date in 2011.

And I'm not sure I understand why you would say that 9.6 is being re-labled 10. It has new features and now this is the 10th major version. Would you say also that Lightwave 8 was re-labled Lightwave 9?

frantbk
12-23-2010, 06:55 PM
gold master refers to the pre release candidate beta finally becoming the version that will be 'mastered' and so turned into the actual install dvd's

gold master means it's a recorded dvd disc not a 'pressed' or mass production version.

the gold master/beta version is now the same as what will be shipped/sold

ie...lw10 is done...just needs to go into mass production for discs, manuals and updated web pages...and the download version just needs uploading..and a 30 day demo version made so people can try out all the new features on their own computers.

bottom line?..."are we there yet?"//// yes we are!

I don't know, but I hope so. :thumbsup:

frantbk
12-23-2010, 06:58 PM
There can be all sorts of reasons for things ... as, for example, unexpected staff changes or other situations that suddenly remove key individuals from things they were doing.

I'm not really in this particular loop, but occasionally stand close enough to it that when something goes by it fluffs up what's left of my hair. I can say with certainty that forum speculation often isn't anywhere near the mark. I'll admit, though, that one can leverage my remark to point out that a simple explanation would sometimes (by no means always) defuse a lot of silliness.

Sometimes I think everyone is just too busy, other times it seems like offering any info only leads to an endless cascade of 'yebbuts' and 'whatifs' anyway, and so maybe it seems to be a better use of limited time to just to play the waiting game. I'm not really defending anyone here, just my honest personal observations...

It's two days before X-mas, why don't you practice good will to men.

If you had been in the loop you would have read that it was clearly state one is the extreme edge of the spectrum if the message becomes too messy. Now you are in the loop, please go away with trouble and nonesense.

frantbk
12-23-2010, 07:14 PM
There's nothing bait and switch about CORE or Lightwave 10. If you bought Lightwave 10, then you are getting CORE but not til some undetermined date in 2011.

And I'm not sure I understand why you would say that 9.6 is being re-labled 10. It has new features and now this is the 10th major version. Would you say also that Lightwave 8 was re-labled Lightwave 9?

Did you read the other post? There wasn't anything publicly said by Powers in the video about 2011 release of lightwave 10. Powers only stated that lightwave 10 would be released in the 4th quarter.

Other persons posting here have stated lightwave 10 will not be lightwave 10 with a unified modeller/layout because of some un-explained problem.

Also if you read what you just posted there is a bait & switch. What is the difference between lightwave 10 and lightwave Core of 2011 release? The people who paid in 2008 paid for Lightwave Core, not lightwave 10. So the question that many should be asking is this:

If NewTek gives you a copy of lightwave 10, and lightwave 10 is not ligthwave core that they paid for in 2008. Then can NewTek require them to paid a new upgrade-membership fee? the original purchase hasn't been filled until lightwave core is delievered to these people, because they originally paid for Lightwave Core, not lightwave 10.

There is a problem here with NewTek's message of what lightwave 10, ligtwave core, and lightwave with core technology is and where all these different names converage. NewTek has created all of this confusion so they need to clear it up.

SBowie
12-23-2010, 08:16 PM
It's two days before X-mas, why don't you practice good will to men.I'll do that. My little gift to you will be a time out for bad manners ... all out of lumps of coal, sorry. (Actually, it may be a gift to the rest of us too - win, win.)

If you had been in the loop you would have read that it was clearly state one is the extreme edge of the spectrum if the message becomes too messy. Now you are in the loop, please go away with trouble and nonesense.I wish what you had written was at least comprehensible. Nonetheless, peace on earth. :)

hrgiger
12-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Honestly Frantbk, it's really quite simple.

CORE is the next generation Lightwave and will eventually replace modeler and Layout. There was never to be a merger between modeler and Layout, CORE is completely new and will be a unified application. However, the original announcement of Lightwave CORE was premature and Newtek has admitted and apologized for that by the CEO Jim Plant. It has been determined that CORE will not be able to replace modeler and Layout for some time so in the meantime, modeler and layout will continue to be enhanced, thus the Lightwave 10 which is slated to be released next week, (4th quarter part).

Consider though that Lightwave 10 = modeler + Layout + CORE. Modeler and Layout are being released next week but CORE is going to continue being in beta until they decide it's ready to be released to the public. People that paid for CORE are getting CORE with their upgrade to Lightwave 10. There aren't any additional fees so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Also, Newtek has been incredibly fair about pricing. Everyone that has bought a Lightwave 10 upgrade up to this point receives the hardcore membership. That will lock in your rate of $495 upgrades for the next 5 versions of Lightwave. For those like myself who bought in before April 2009, ours are locked in at $395 for the next 5 upgrades. Not only that, but Newtek has honored refunds this entire time. Anyone who decided that Lightwave 10/CORE was not for them at this time, they have been able to get their money back. Who else does that? Also, everyone with a hardcore membership, even those of us who bought in early 2009 when CORE was first announced, will have access to beta builds of Lightwave 11 and will only have to pay if we decide to upgrade a year from now or whenver Lightwave 11 is released.

I'm not sure what the complaint is here.

SBowie
12-23-2010, 08:25 PM
... and to all a Good Night. :sleeping:

Vong
12-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Did you read the other post? There wasn't anything publicly said by Powers in the video about 2011 release of lightwave 10. Powers only stated that lightwave 10 would be released in the 4th quarter.

And LW10 will be released 4 Qtr. of this year.

Other persons posting here have stated lightwave 10 will not be lightwave 10 with a unified modeller/layout because of some un-explained problem.

LW10 was never meant to be a unified environment. That's CORE. The LW10 release was meant to be Modeler/Layout and CORE. CORE is still coming.

Also if you read what you just posted there is a bait & switch. What is the difference between lightwave 10 and lightwave Core of 2011 release? The people who paid in 2008 paid for Lightwave Core, not lightwave 10. So the question that many should be asking is this:

If NewTek gives you a copy of lightwave 10, and lightwave 10 is not ligthwave core that they paid for in 2008. Then can NewTek require them to paid a new upgrade-membership fee? the original purchase hasn't been filled until lightwave core is delievered to these people, because they originally paid for Lightwave Core, not lightwave 10.

There is no bait and switch. Let's leave that kind of talk to the conspiracy theorists. Also, from what I can tell, no one purchased into CORE/HardCore until February of 2009. My purchase was made on Feb. 23, 2009. LW 9.6 wasn't released until January of 2009, and CORE wasn't announced until after that.

In the beginning, yes, most people paid to get CORE. However, if you bought in, you've been kept up to date on what is happening. You would have learned about LW10 and the delays to CORE. Not to mention the fact that Newtek was allowing any HardCore member who didn't like what was happening a full refund. That's hardly a bait and switch scheme.

Fact is, Newtek is being very generous. If you bought in at the beginning, or bought in just recently, you still get CORE v1.0 once it's released. So if it takes until 2012 to get CORE v1.0 out the door, LW10 owners still get it. If you've bought in, you should have access to the HardCore forums, and should be able to see exactly how well Newtek is taking care of those that bought in early. That's a non issue.

There is a problem here with NewTek's message of what lightwave 10, ligtwave core, and lightwave with core technology is and where all these different names converage. NewTek has created all of this confusion so they need to clear it up.

LW10 and LW10 with CORE technology is the older classic LW with features from CORE added in. VPR, the new MDD exchange flow, etc. CORE is the future. A unified environment (at last check) for modeling, animating, rendering, etc. I look forward to CORE v1.0 in the next year (beyond?) and all that it brings with it. However, in the mean time, LW10 is a very good upgrade.

And while I've been typing this, hrgiger has added his 2 cents! :D

Vong
12-23-2010, 08:44 PM

Amen! :D

Kuzey
12-24-2010, 04:45 AM
There can be all sorts of reasons for things ... as, for example, unexpected staff changes or other situations that suddenly remove key individuals from things they were doing.

yeahbutnobut yeah but....a quote from my favorite English comedy show :hey:

Well of course there could be many reasons, and the one you mentioned could mean....staff are constantly moving from one thing to another, without having time to finish what was started. It's better to not say anything about weekly videos and what not, just post them when you have them, that way, people won't expect anything and won't get upset....as an example.

PS....I don't think I've seen the newsletter yet...I hope it has a ton of information :D

Honestly Frantbk, it's really quite simple.

CORE is the next generation Lightwave and will eventually replace modeler and Layout. There was never to be a merger between modeler and Layout, CORE is completely new and will be a unified application. However, the original announcement of Lightwave CORE was premature and Newtek has admitted and apologized for that by the CEO Jim Plant. It has been determined that CORE will not be able to replace modeler and Layout for some time so in the meantime, modeler and layout will continue to be enhanced, thus the Lightwave 10 which is slated to be released next week, (4th quarter part).

Consider though that Lightwave 10 = modeler + Layout + CORE. Modeler and Layout are being released next week but CORE is going to continue being in beta until they decide it's ready to be released to the public. People that paid for CORE are getting CORE with their upgrade to Lightwave 10. There aren't any additional fees so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Also, Newtek has been incredibly fair about pricing. Everyone that has bought a Lightwave 10 upgrade up to this point receives the hardcore membership. That will lock in your rate of $495 upgrades for the next 5 versions of Lightwave. For those like myself who bought in before April 2009, ours are locked in at $395 for the next 5 upgrades. Not only that, but Newtek has honored refunds this entire time. Anyone who decided that Lightwave 10/CORE was not for them at this time, they have been able to get their money back. Who else does that? Also, everyone with a hardcore membership, even those of us who bought in early 2009 when CORE was first announced, will have access to beta builds of Lightwave 11 and will only have to pay if we decide to upgrade a year from now or whenver Lightwave 11 is released.

Well, from my view, it's always been the lack of information and the 180 degree turns that seem to happen from time to time. I believe, even you thought there could be another last change before the release :D

btw, I'm sure you know, I wasn't referring to the change in direction in Core/lw development, but the subscription/not subscription plan, buy before release and get HC, buy after and not get HC or any point upgrades etc.

Anyway...lets hope the next round is smoother than the last one :D

Kuzey

SBowie
12-24-2010, 05:13 AM
yeahbutnobut yeah but....a quote from my favorite English comedy show :hey:Things aren't always black and white, and being reasonable means one sometimes has to recognize that.

calilifestyle
12-24-2010, 05:15 AM
Naw thats BS. The things frantbk wrote shouldn't have earned him an ban. Not unless he said some thing different some where else.

very true Kuzey.

SBowie
12-24-2010, 05:20 AM
It's entirely possible to make your point, pro or con, without being rude to anyone with a different view. It's not even hard. And it is a requirement in these forums. And that's about as much discussion of moderation activity as we're going to have.

Kuzey
12-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Things aren't always black and white, and being reasonable means one sometimes has to recognize that.

I wasn't trying to be unreasonable...just trying to add some humor into the thread....that's all.

I stated in the many Core threads in the past, that things can and do happen for any number of reasons, and that could result in delays and what not....that is just life. I believe...I even made that very statement as well "Things aren't always black and white" in one or two of those epic threads.

:)

Kuzey

SBowie
12-24-2010, 05:38 AM
I wasn't trying to be unreasonable...just trying to add some humor into the thread....that's all.Wasn't suggesting that you were, sorry if it seemed that way. I took your comment as being a playful slap at my seeming ambivalence, no offense taken or offered. I'm just offering an explanation for the fact that my own remark wasn't all one way or the other. Sometimes it seems as though, for a few, if you aren't 100% on board with their view, you are the enemy. That's just sad.

Kuzey
12-24-2010, 06:05 AM
Wasn't suggesting that you were, sorry if it seemed that way. I took your comment as being a playful slap at my seeming ambivalence, no offense taken or offered. I'm just offering an explanation for the fact that my own remark wasn't all one way or the other. Sometimes it seems as though, for a few, if you aren't 100% on board with their view, you are the enemy. That's just sad.

No offense taken.

I've been in threads (VPR), where I'm trying to make a point, and a few people end up trying to have a go at me....instead of talking about my idea or what it could mean to the software etc.

It's sad...yes, but kinda funny as well....just a little :D

Kuzey

Dexter2999
12-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Sorry, but he was coming off as a troll to me. I could be wrong. But that is what it seemed like to me. He was aggressive. Referred to Rob as "some guy" and "that guy". Tried to insinuate that Newtek was somehow defrauding people.

Like I said, I could be wrong but he just kind of came off as a "sh!t stirrer" to me.

SBowie
12-24-2010, 09:32 AM
As I mentioned, we don't want to get into discussing moderation activity. In fairness to all concerned, that applies whether in support of otherwise. Kindly let it drop, thanks.