PDA

View Full Version : Error Messages in LW 9

scadams
12-20-2010, 12:28 PM
I recently purchased a new copy of LWv9. I installed it as per the instructions and everything went fine. However, if I work with a tutorial from the inside LW book (the .lwo) or even if I get in there and save my own personal work as a .lwo when I go back to try and open it I get an error. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

nickdigital
12-20-2010, 12:35 PM
What's the error message?

scadams
12-20-2010, 03:02 PM
I temporarily save things to my desktop as I work. The tut files are also on the desktop and the error I get is:

Error reading file "/user/myname/desktop/lightwave/Projects and so on.

It's the same error every time.

nickdigital
12-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Hm, that's an odd one.

Is LW complaining about missing files (texture maps, objects in a scene file)? Meaning you're not working out of a proper Content directory. It doesn't look to be that though if you're already saving stuff to your desktop.

scadams
12-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Nope, that's all I get. Sorry, I know its not much but its all I get. I did figure one thing out though. This only happens when I find the .lwo and dbl click it. If I open LW and then select file-open it seems to work. Which makes me think there is something out of sorts. Being new to 3D in general its just a little odd for a link or alias not to work when dbl clicked.

nickdigital
12-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Ah I see. I got the same problem doing what you're doing.

I've never opened a .lwo or .lws by double clicking on it. I've always done it through the program itself.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of anyone opening a file that way. You could submit it as a bug though it's more common to bring in a file via the program itself. The other issue is that a lot of us run different versions of LW so having a file open with a specific version could be a pain.