PDA

View Full Version : Node surface library preview

Kuzey
12-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Some of you guys might have followed my journey with node surfaces, I thought I'd put together the best of my metal surfaces and release them to the public :)

I have another batch to render out and might include all my netsuke surfaces as a bonus.

Oh yes....there is a free netsuke model as well with a cool surface, so download and have a look see:

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2010/12/node-surface-library-pack-preview.html

Kuzey

JohnMarchant
12-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Generous as always mate. Really looking forward to the metal surface presets

aurora
12-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Those are damn sexy materials THANKS Kuzey

OnlineRender
12-19-2010, 09:14 AM
cheers mate stunning !

ArtGoblin
12-19-2010, 09:17 AM
the Lighwave community is lucky to have have people like you Kuzey :)

ArtGoblin
12-19-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm guessing you are using the grit node on some of those, so I'll point out the fact that size/scale is an important factor... hope this saves some people some irritation if the surfaces don't seem to work correctly at first try :)

Waves of light
12-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Kuzey,

You are up there with the Williams and Larrys when it comes to generosity.

Thank you for the materials.

Ricky.

3dworks
12-19-2010, 10:48 AM
great idea :thumbsup: and a big thankyou!

markus

archijam
12-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Nice! In time for LW10 release .. :)

Now we just need glass, stone, brick, wood, dirt, grass .. the existing presets have to go !

probiner
12-19-2010, 11:02 AM
They look quite nice.
Preset Central doesn't work for this?
I had some issues with it last time i uploaded a preset, and you can't control your presets much without admin approval, which kind of sucks... but anyway it's a good place to store these, or they are just too wild to be stored? =P

Cheers

nickdigital
12-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Wow these look great. Thanks for the generosity!

Kuzey
12-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks guys,

Oh boy....I think I must have worded it incorrectly, it wasn't meant to be free as such, but cheap...hence, not mentioning preset central and what not.

Since there will be about a 150 or more textures, I think I'll make about 20 of those free...how does that sound???

I was thinking of a price in the range of $30, with a 50% discount for the full month of January...any thoughts??

Again, I'm really sorry for any disappoints caused.

Kuzey

ArtGoblin
12-19-2010, 03:15 PM
hehehe... it's still awesome ;) I'd put it on my wishlist to santa this year if I could... but 2011 doesn't sound that bad either

JohnMarchant
12-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Still gonna get them mate, so get them up and you have my dosh. Discount is nice as well :):):)

Kuzey
12-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try to get it done by next Friday :D

And don't forget to download the netsuke model and texture from my blog.

Kuzey

JeffrySG
12-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Those look great, Kuzey! Do they all use the grit node?
I'm sure you'll sell a bunch of them - $30 seems like a fair price - especially with the time it would save people. :)

zarti
12-19-2010, 05:26 PM
=) lovely little meshes on your blog Kuzey . i liked those .

.cheers

COBRASoft
12-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Great Kuzey!

I agree that NT should embed them in the LWIO release, those old presets really have to go, specially with the new linear color stuff.

Waves of light
12-20-2010, 01:53 AM
Kuzey,

Not a problem. The amount of time you will save me is worth the money. Will you accept paypal?

Regards,

Ricky.

MentalFish
12-20-2010, 05:25 AM
Schweet :thumbsup:

Kuzey
12-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Those look great, Kuzey! Do they all use the grit node?
I'm sure you'll sell a bunch of them - $30 seems like a fair price - especially with the time it would save people. :)

So...I should skip the 50% off sale....kinda seems like a large amount, now that I think about it...hehe

Grit node...what is that...I must try it out one day :D

There might be a hand full of surfaces that don't use that magical node..I think.

=) lovely little meshes on your blog Kuzey . i liked those .

.cheers

Much appreciated :thumbsup:

Great Kuzey!

I agree that NT should embed them in the LWIO release, those old presets really have to go, specially with the new linear color stuff.

No sign of Newtek.....but I'm open to anything :hey:

There's also a ton of fabric tests I did sometime ago....remember the Suede leather thread...not really Suede or leather...but some great surfaces as a result of that experiment :)

Kuzey,

Not a problem. The amount of time you will save me is worth the money. Will you accept paypal?

Regards,

Ricky.

Yes indeed...I was going to paypal anyway :thumbsup:

Schweet :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: back at ya...hehe.

Kuzey

Kuzey
12-27-2010, 05:28 AM
Finished rendering the last batch....all I need to do is create the html stuff and it'll be ready to go :D

The mixer image is how some of the surfaces look on an object.

Kuzey

Kuzey
12-27-2010, 05:33 AM
Also...there will be a companion library in the new year...leather/fabric/interesting surfaces...keep an eye out for that one too.

More examples on the blog :D

Kuzey

JohnMarchant
12-27-2010, 05:43 AM
Looking good mate

Waves of light
12-27-2010, 05:54 AM
Very nice. Looking forward to the release.

brunopeixoto
12-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Amazing!

COBRASoft
12-27-2010, 06:54 AM
Really nice!

Kuzey
12-27-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanks guys, I did those yesterday...just mucking about and what not...hehe :thumbsup:

Kuzey

JBT27
12-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Well I'll be buying - these look great!

Julian.

Kuzey
12-31-2010, 07:27 AM
Just an update....I got the web page pretty much done and will upload it tonight....hopefully :)

Kuzey

COBRASoft
12-31-2010, 07:40 AM
Will be a nice new year present :D.

Kuzey
12-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Ok...it's up...follow the link...if you wish:

metal node library pack now available (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2011/01/metal-node-library-pack-now-available.html)

There is a slight change, the low price is now $20 and the normal price $35 at the end of the month...also, there's a free model too.

I'll start emailing the library from this Monday(still a few things to do and what not)...so be on the look out.

PS..Happy New Year :thumbsup:

Kuzey

JohnMarchant
12-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Ok...it's up...follow the link...if you wish:

metal node library pack now available (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2011/01/metal-node-library-pack-now-available.html)

There is a slight change, the low price is now $20 and the normal price $35 at the end of the month...also, there's a free model too.

I'll start emailing the library from this Monday(still a few things to do and what not)...so be on the look out.

PS..Happy New Year :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Just brought it mate, cant wait

Svenart
12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
wow cool, thank you. Will check them very soon.

Kuzey
01-01-2011, 07:07 AM

Just a note: with the next texture pack, leather/fabric/etc., there won't be a special discount period like this one. However, those who purchase the metal pack, will get a discount offer for the next one. Once that's ready to go...I'm thinking next month :hey:

In the meantime.....I finally worked out how to display a web page within blogger...."<iframe></iframe>" go figure :D

Kuzey

Waves of light
01-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Just purchased. Can't wait to install and use.

Thanks Kuzey.

Kuzey
01-02-2011, 06:03 AM
One more day to go before I start emailing them out....I hope you guys like them :thumbsup:

I started experimenting again (I can't help it), and thought I might as well do an extension pack :)

The great thing is, those who buy the before the end of January, get the extension pack for free...otherwise, it'll be priced somewhere between $10-$20...check the link below for more details:

Metal Extension Pack (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2011/01/metal-extension-pack.html)

PS....you can always experiment yourself....check the tip on the blog post :)

All the best :thumbsup:

Kuzey

ToMar
01-02-2011, 08:58 AM
A list (+Links) of the "external" nodes may not hurt. One of them iis the grit node. Waht are thee others?

Drocket
01-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks Kuzey, Just ordered :)

COBRASoft
01-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Ordered here too :D.

Kuzey
01-03-2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys,

They are being sent now.....I hope you find them useful!

A list (+Links) of the "external" nodes may not hurt. One of them iis the grit node. Waht are thee others?

Deformer node from DP kit is the other one, but that's used in the experimental textures (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2009/05/node-experiments.html)(there's 27 surfaces..supplied as an extra, for those game enough).

The leather/fabric surfaces will also use that node...as well as the grit node. That's about it..I think :)

Edit: Just remembered, fast skin from DP kit as well...used in the fabric surfaces.

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-03-2011, 06:02 AM
More eye candy from the extension pack :D

Kuzey

COBRASoft
01-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Kuzey, looks really nice. Perhaps you can change the names of your surfaces Like Metal001, Metal002, ... Now the numbering is messed up a bit :).

Bitboy
01-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Looks really nice Kuzey! You can never have enough good metal presets. I'll plonk the $$ down for them as soon as I have some.

Thanks for doing this - and the leather presets looks great too. :)

Kuzey
01-04-2011, 05:04 PM
Just a note about the HDR maps, the kitchen01.hdr is now included in the zip file. If you don't have it...grab it from this blog post (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2010/12/free-hdr-maps.html). The hdr map for dragon.lws, called kuz03.hdr is just a smaller version of 03.hdr from zbyg's first pack...also explained in the above link.

For the experimental surfaces, check out this post (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2009/05/node-experiments.html)

ps...use the dragon surfaces on the dragon model, which is a proxy object (two spheres) for my dragon shield...otherwise the scale might not be right :)

Sorry for any confusion,

Kuzey

Gary Wales
01-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Ordered. Excellent!

Kuzey
01-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Hi guys, just some more experiments for the extension pack...find out more about them on my blog :)

All the best,

Kuzey

JohnMarchant
01-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Hi guys, just some more experiments for the extension pack...find out more about them on my blog :)

All the best,

Kuzey

Very nice mate, but as you said render times take a bit of a hit. VPR of your B5 PPK are really nice.

JeffrySG
01-08-2011, 07:12 AM

All the best,

Kuzey

Those are really looking great, Kuzey! I know what you mean on the render times. Sometimes I'll put something together and wow... just takes forever to render. I really like that red one though!

Kuzey
01-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks, that's great to know about VPR :thumbsup:

I'm going to try and get the render times down, delete parts of the node trees and what not. Also, I'm thinking the long render times are a result of the netsuke model being all curves and blobs, I'll have try them on the Venus rocket and the B5 PPG model...just to see if there is the same hike.

More experiments to come...haha.

Kuzey

JohnMarchant
01-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks, that's great to know about VPR :thumbsup:

I'm going to try and get the render times down, delete parts of the node trees and what not. Also, I'm thinking the long render times are a result of the netsuke model being all curves and blobs, I'll have try them on the Venus rocket and the B5 PPG model...just to see if there is the same hike.

More experiments to come...haha.

Kuzey

Yes the VPR of PPK was actually quite fast considering the complexity of the surfacing. Im hoping when you do the leather presets that i can change the black handle on it, sort of think a leather handle sides would look good.

That's the thing with nodes, sometimes i see some very complex setup's and often look at them and think there must have been an easier way to achieve the same results.

Kuzey
01-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Those are really looking great, Kuzey! I know what you mean on the render times. Sometimes I'll put something together and wow... just takes forever to render. I really like that red one though!

Haha...yeah, that red one has potential...I was actually shocked at how good it looked. It has this powdered feel to it....I'm liking that very much :)

I love the black one too, but that kinda looks more glass/stone then metal...I'll have to try that one on my sofa model!

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Yes the VPR of PPK was actually quite fast considering the complexity of the surfacing. Im hoping when you do the leather presets that i can change the black handle on it, sort of think a leather handle sides would look good.

That's the thing with nodes, sometimes i see some very complex setup's and often look at them and think there must have been an easier way to achieve the same results.

Haha...sounds interesting, the good thing about the leather presets (the new ones, not the ones done a year or two ago), is that they are very fast. I don't think any went over the 11 minute mark.

Well...maybe, one or two might be around the 30 minute render time...I can't seem to remember though...hehe.

I'll post some more of the leather previews tomorrow...some interesting stuff going on :)

Kuzey

JohnMarchant
01-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Haha...sounds interesting, the good thing about the leather presets (the new ones, not the ones done a year or two ago), is that they are very fast. I don't think any went over the 11 minute mark.

Well...maybe, one or two might be around the 30 minute render time...I can't seem to remember though...hehe.

I'll post some more of the leather previews tomorrow...some interesting stuff going on :)

Kuzey

Cant wait mate, cash burning a hole in my pocket :):):):)

JeffrySG
01-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Kuzey, have you been able to come up with any materials that look like the 'worn edges' material in the new modo release? scroll down a bit to see the yellow object about 75% down the page.
http://www.luxology.com/modo/tour/newcontentincluded.aspx

It's nice how that material only has a very small part worn away on the sharp edges. I think we could get something similar with the grit node... I'll have to give it a try at some point.

Kuzey
01-09-2011, 06:28 AM
Kuzey, have you been able to come up with any materials that look like the 'worn edges' material in the new modo release? scroll down a bit to see the yellow object about 75% down the page.

It's nice how that material only has a very small part worn away on the sharp edges. I think we could get something similar with the grit node... I'll have to give it a try at some point.

Ooooh...nice, I saved the image for future reference :D

Yeah...Grit node used with Material Mixer might work. I'll have to try some of these presets on the B5 PPG model see how they look, I have a feeling they might be half way there....just a wild guess.

The only problem I can see with Grit node, is how to limit it just to sharp edges and not have it affect the whole object...Mmmm.

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Ok....here's more fabric/leather previews...more on the blog :D

Kuzey

JohnMarchant
01-09-2011, 06:38 AM
Very nice mate, better release before my good lady finds something else to spent the money on, Lol :):):)

Kuzey
01-09-2011, 06:49 AM
We can't have that....haha :D

Hopefully, they'll be ready by the start of February. If not, I'll release them then and send the rest at a later date...once finished :)

Kuzey

JohnMarchant
01-09-2011, 06:54 AM
We can't have that....haha :D

Hopefully, they'll be ready by the start of February. If not, I'll release them then and send the rest at a later date...once finished :)

Kuzey

Al right mate i have a cunning plan, im going to hid it under then bed and hopefully she wont find it as im always the one who does the quilt changing.

JBT27
01-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Purchased! Just remembered about this ... got all excited back in December then forgot ... :foreheads

Julian.

Kuzey
01-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Hey Jeffry, I tried...but I can't get it to work. However, I did come up with a feature idea that might do the trick :

Worn Edges in LW feature request (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2011/01/worn-edges-with-lw-nodes-feature.html)

I also got some cool metal textures as a result...haha.

Kuzey

bpritchard
01-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Picked up the other day... will be comin in handy for some work i'm wrapping up in the next few weeks! Thanks for getting these out.

geo_n
01-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Ok....here's more fabric/leather previews...more on the blog :D

Kuzey

very nice fabric material. are objects uv mapped?

Kuzey
01-11-2011, 05:59 AM
very nice fabric material. are objects uv mapped?

Thanks guys,

No UV maps at all :D

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-13-2011, 06:18 AM
More metal for the extension pack...the rest can be seen on my blog :)

Kuzey

Bitboy
01-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Ordered! Looking forward to trying it out. Great work Kuzey :)

Kuzey
01-16-2011, 05:55 AM
Haha...thanks :D

Btw....I got an interesting email as to why the order of the surface list doesn't match the order of the spheres. It's something I overlooked, and will rectify with new images, with the surface names directly under each sphere. Hopefully, I'll get that out tonight or tomorrow...that sure was a great idea :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Ok...I got them all done, now you can match the names to the images.

More new examples coming tomorrow :hey:

Kuzey

COBRASoft
01-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Looking great Kuzey!

Kuzey
01-17-2011, 05:14 AM
Many thanks :thumbsup:

As promised, here are some more leather type previews...more on the blog :hey:

Kuzey

COBRASoft
01-17-2011, 06:19 AM
Kuzey: they look lovely! Will you release them any time soon?

Kuzey
01-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Kuzey: they look lovely! Will you release them any time soon?

I aiming for sometime in February.

Currently, I have about 54 new leather/fabric surfaces....I hope to get close to one hundred by that time :)

Kuzey

Nigel Baker
01-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Heu Kuzey,

How long does it take to process the order?
Are you sent an automatic link straight away once you purchase?

Regards,
Nigel

Kuzey
01-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Heu Kuzey,

How long does it take to process the order?
Are you sent an automatic link straight away once you purchase?

Regards,
Nigel

Straight away, if I'm online. Otherwise, the next time I connect to the internet. Oh..I email them as well...it's only 2.5mb in size.

PS...those that get the metal pack during this month...will also get a discount on the Leather/fabric one as well :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Nigel Baker
01-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Hi Kuzey,

I just purchased them so I can do a job tonight.
I will stand by my email address and see what comes in?

Regards,
Nigel

Kuzey
01-17-2011, 02:12 PM
Ah cool...it just cleared my outbox...so it shouldn't be much longer.

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-17-2011, 03:00 PM
I just realized, I didn't include links to any plugins used in the surfaces but have updated the readme file :)

Plugins used:

DPkit plugin:

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/Additionnal_Nodes_2.html

Grit node:

http://katastro.fi/~eetu/gritnode/

Perhaps db&w plugin..but I can't remember:

http://www.db-w.com/content/view/137/175/

PS...on rereading the the readme file, it seems the Metal Extension Pack is free to those who buy during this month...as well :)

Kuzey

monovich
01-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Kuzey, the DP edge shader would output just creases edges for you so that you could then pipe that into a matte for worn edges.

p.s. I'm going to order your metals asap! they look amazing.

Kuzey
01-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Kuzey, the DP edge shader would output just creases edges for you so that you could then pipe that into a matte for worn edges.

p.s. I'm going to order your metals asap! they look amazing.

Haha...Many thanks :thumbsup:

I tried that, but apparently the model needs to be in one piece for it to work...Layout seems to hang, if I use my PPG model...which has multiple parts.

Have a look here, there are some crazy stuff going on with worn edges (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1101622) effect...using both the edge node and grit node :)

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-18-2011, 05:43 AM
Latest batch of metal for the extension pack..haha :thumbsup:

More renders on the blog...as always :hey:

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Just a heads up...one week to go :)

Buy the metal pack at a discount and get the extension pack free....offer ends at the end of the month.

Oh....here's some more leather/fabric renders :D

Kuzey

JohnMarchant
01-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Nice mate cant wait to get my grubby little hands on them

JeffrySG
01-24-2011, 09:45 AM
The leather on that first image is looking amazing, Kuzey! Nice work!

So what's included in total if you buy now?

Waves of light
01-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Ricky waits very patiently for his free expansion pack......

Kuzey
01-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Nice mate cant wait to get my grubby little hands on them

Ricky waits very patiently for his free expansion pack......

The leather on that first image is looking amazing, Kuzey! Nice work!

So what's included in total if you buy now?

I wasn't sure about that first image...I'm glad someone likes it...hehe.

Mmmmm...in total, let me see:

$15 off the first pack.

Extension pack free...that's another $15-$25 off (I'm not sure about the final price at this stage).

And a $15 discount on the leather pack as well. Which by the way, will be a little more expensive than the metal pack. I do remember mentioning the discount sometime ago. So....unless...everyone would like to collectively forget that bit...it's in :D

PS...about the leather pack, I'm aiming for about 100 new surfaces. I plan on having an extension pack for that as well...with all the old surfaces thrown together (once I go through them).

Mmmm...that's about it...I think :)

Kuzey

COBRASoft
01-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Really great job, they look awesome :)!

Kuzey
01-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Really great job, they look awesome :)!

Thank you :)

Btw....I got an email saying that there was a problem with the paypal button, I just tried it and it seems to be ok now. So...if you have trouble getting it to work, try the donate button and leave a message...or post here...or PM me.

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-26-2011, 05:30 AM
I thought I'd try out the flakes node...Mmmmm

More renders on the blog...as always :hey:

Kuzey

Getting Board
01-26-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm currently running LW 9.5. If I purchase your Metal Surface pack, is there anything that I won't be able to benefit from in that surface pack because of LW 9.5?

WilliamVaughan
01-26-2011, 12:14 PM
I'll be picking these up as soon as I remember to buy them when I'm at home! Awesome work!

Kuzey
01-26-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm currently running LW 9.5. If I purchase your Metal Surface pack, is there anything that I won't be able to benefit from in that surface pack because of LW 9.5?

That is an interesting question and I really wouldn't know the answer. Is there a reason why you are not using 9.6(I'm using it)...which is free to 9.5 users?

Does 9.5 have Material Mixer node, or was that added later. Flakes node could also be a problem as well...but I'm just guessing.

Grit node & DP kit should work in 9.5. I remember Newtek adding new nodes...but not sure when...it might have been after 9.3 and a few after 9.5 as well.

You might try some of the free downloads (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/search/label/free%20downloads) on my blog and see if you have any problems.

But if you can't upgrade to 9.6 for any reason, let me know and I'll upload a couple surfaces for you to test.

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-26-2011, 01:52 PM
I'll be picking these up as soon as I remember to buy them when I'm at home! Awesome work!

Thanks William...It'll be interesting to see what you do with them :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Getting Board
01-26-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't like to mess with things that are not broken. I'm just getting back into LW and until I have a need, or run into problems, I likely won't update until I can afford to get LWX. BTW: For the life of me I can't figure out why they didn't market the newest version of Lightwave as LightWave X. Much cooler than LW 10 from a marketing standpoint.

I'll check out the some of the free stuff and, if it works, purchase the metal pack.
Thanks for the reply and the links.

JeffrySG
01-26-2011, 03:58 PM

9.6 is a free update - might be worth updating.

Kuzey
01-26-2011, 04:49 PM
I don't like to mess with things that are not broken. I'm just getting back into LW and until I have a need, or run into problems, I likely won't update until I can afford to get LWX. BTW: For the life of me I can't figure out why they didn't market the newest version of Lightwave as LightWave X. Much cooler than LW 10 from a marketing standpoint.

I'll check out the some of the free stuff and, if it works, purchase the metal pack.

9.6 is a free update - might be worth updating.

As mentioned above...it's free :hey:

But still, log into your product page and download the documentation for LW9.6 and see if any new stuff was added to the node system.

I tried downloading the following file "LightWave_v96_WhatsNew_Guide", but it doesn't unzip properly on my MacBook....I get a .cpgz file instead.

I wouldn't buy without reading that first!

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-26-2011, 05:32 PM

Actually, let's say the minimum requirement is LW 9.6.

You can always buy it sometime in the future.

All the best,

Kuzey

Kuzey
01-27-2011, 05:35 AM
Hi Getting Board,

I can now confirm....that the flakes node in not part of LW 9.5, so it's better to pass and not buy now.

All the best,

Kuzey

Getting Board
01-27-2011, 05:45 AM
Hi Getting Board,

I can now confirm....that the flakes node in not part of LW 9.5, so it's better to pass and not buy now.

All the best,

Kuzey

Updated LW but now the link to buy the pack isn't working. It's failing at the PayPal page.

Kuzey
01-27-2011, 06:34 AM
What browser are you using...can you PM me a screen grab of the error?

Does it work with this link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2402046/website/metal/index.html

Edit:

I made a new paypal button...see if it works now?

Edit 2:

Also, I replaced the donate button on my blog with a paypal buy now button for the metal pack.

Mmmm...I'm thinking I might have to extend the offer for a week or two.

Kuzey

Getting Board
01-28-2011, 09:38 AM
What browser are you using...can you PM me a screen grab of the error?

Does it work with this link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2402046/website/metal/index.html

Edit:

I made a new paypal button...see if it works now?

Edit 2:

Also, I replaced the donate button on my blog with a paypal buy now button for the metal pack.

Mmmm...I'm thinking I might have to extend the offer for a week or two.

Kuzey

I now have the pack. I downloaded and installed the DP plugin pack that's required as well. Unfortunately, with my very, very, very limited knowledge of Nodes, I don't know where to find the many different presets for the many different surfaces.

The extracted files are intact, but I expected to see a preset for each different material with a unique name. This isn't a complaint in any way, it's simply evidence of how little I know of Nodes. :) I believe that I saw reference to a tutorial or guide somewhere but haven't found it yet.

I've found some surfaces and loaded them but the scaling needs to be adjusted. Is there a way to adjust the scaling of all scalable items with a single adjustment?

If there's a tutorial, could you please provide a link?

Thanks

Kuzey
01-28-2011, 11:29 AM
I now have the pack. I downloaded and installed the DP plugin pack that's required as well. Unfortunately, with my very, very, very limited knowledge of Nodes, I don't know where to find the many different presets for the many different surfaces.

The extracted files are intact, but I expected to see a preset for each different material with a unique name. This isn't a complaint in any way, it's simply evidence of how little I know of Nodes. :) I believe that I saw reference to a tutorial or guide somewhere but haven't found it yet.

I've found some surfaces and loaded them but the scaling needs to be adjusted. Is there a way to adjust the scaling of all scalable items with a single adjustment?

If there's a tutorial, could you please provide a link?

Thanks

The presets are included in the LW object and scene files...there are three of them, just like the renders. Just load the metal shaders01.lws etc. in Layout and it should be ready to go.

That's the same with the dragon presets, just load the dragon.lws and apply the presets to the object.

Those scenes will also give you an indication of the scale as well, just select the object in layout, and replace with one of your own. The scale should be fine from then on.

Also for the names use this these as a guide to which surface is which (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1101414&postcount=69).

Hope that helps,

Kuzey

TechnoBill
01-29-2011, 07:53 PM
I have purchased it today, but the buy now button on the following page did not work for me:
http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/p/metal-node-library-pack_01.html
It Brings up the paypal page with a message from paypal saying that there is something wrong blah blah.

Luckily pressing the home button on your page and using the buy now button on the top right there worked OK.

Regards
TechnoBill

Kuzey
01-30-2011, 06:53 AM
I have purchased it today, but the buy now button on the following page did not work for me:
http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/p/metal-node-library-pack_01.html
It Brings up the paypal page with a message from paypal saying that there is something wrong blah blah.

Luckily pressing the home button on your page and using the buy now button on the top right there worked OK.

Regards
TechnoBill

Man...that's the third time that's happened, thanks for the heads up.

Paypal Help Center is currently unavailable....you got to laugh sometimes. I'll try again later :D

I'm glad that the button on my home page is working...strange, since they have the same code.

Kuzey

Petz
01-31-2011, 03:20 AM
Ordered mine today!

Petz

vector
01-31-2011, 03:41 AM
Very nice... library and blog :)

Vector

Kuzey
01-31-2011, 07:07 AM
Haha...thanks guys :thumbsup:

It feels a bit strange to have the special offer end on the start of the working week. So...I'm going to extend it until this Sunday...the 6th of February 2011.

:D

Kuzey

Petz
02-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Hello Kuzey!

I tried to reach you via e-mail (your paypal-adress) but i got an error-message, saying your adress is unroutable. Maybe you haven't received my e-mail and order-details.

Thank you for a short info
Robert

Kuzey
02-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Hello Kuzey!

I tried to reach you via e-mail (your paypal-adress) but i got an error-message, saying your adress is unroutable. Maybe you haven't received my e-mail and order-details.

Thank you for a short info
Robert

Sorry, I didn't receive any email. I just sent an email to my g.mail account and it went through ok.

Did you have problems with the paypal button from Metal Node Library Pack page (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/p/metal-node-library-pack_01.html) on my blog ?? If yes, try the paypal button on the top right of my blog, the one just above my avatar. Or try it directly from the dropbox page (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2402046/website/metal/index.html)

I think there's a problem with web pages embedded into blogger with <iframe></iframe> code.

Let me know if that helps,

Kuzey

Petz
02-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Hello Kuzey!

I ordered your library already on monday 31. The button and paypal-checkout worked as expected but till today i had no response except the paypal-invoice. Your e-mail-adress at paypal reads ...webtime.com.au. Can you check your paypal-account if you received my money-transfer?

Thank you
Robert

Kuzey
02-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Webtime email is an old one, not sure how that got in there...as I deleted it long ago.

I checked and I'm emailing it right now :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Petz
02-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Thank you, it arrived in this moment!

Robert

Kuzey
02-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Thank you, it arrived in this moment!

Robert

Thank you Robert!

I went through my paypal settings and sure enough...I found the old email address...took me 30 minutes, but I found it and fixed it...haha.

Kuzey

Kuzey
02-06-2011, 06:16 AM
I'm going to take down the special about this time tomorrow, so you better get in before it's tooooooo late :hey:

Kuzey

rkpdesign
02-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Okay, Okay! I bought them...talk about getting down to the wire! :thumbsup:

Kuzey
02-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Another leather preview...more images on the blog.

Kuzey

COBRASoft
02-09-2011, 05:57 PM
That red one on the blog looks lovely man!

TechnoBill
02-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Hmmm is that kuzey I hear working in the backgound making sure his leather pack nodals all have a master vector scaling setting for easy size adjustments? :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

<GD&R>
TechnoBill

JeffrySG
02-10-2011, 01:40 PM

Kuzey

Those are looking really slick! I want to sit in that couch now!:)

Waves of light
02-10-2011, 02:04 PM

Kuzey

You are worse than my wife, stop teasing and release the next set of texture presets already!!!!

Kuzey
02-11-2011, 06:01 AM
Thanks guys...it's been fun trying to come up with different surfaces, it's almost a never ending process :D

@ TechnoBill

What...what's vector scaling again...hehe. Last time I checked, the sofa model was built to real world scale....so.....is that Mubarak I see behind you....runs and hides :D

@ Waves of light

I'll see what I can do. Oh wait, it's not February is it...crap...haha. Hopefully, I'll run out of ideas for the leather pack around the end of the month...but who knows...not me, that's for sure :hey:

Thanks again...you guys are super cool!

Kuzey

ToMar
03-13-2011, 11:00 AM
I' still missing the "MaterialMixer" Node. dbwToolsV1.8 was a shot in the dark. So where can I find it? (Kurzey's link is a 404) Otherwise I can'd do a bigger (apro 1000 x 1000 pixel per sample) Sample ehm.... example of Scene 02

jwiede
03-13-2011, 01:31 PM
About to buy the metal presets, they're very impressive, thanks! Does the package include any kind of guidance about the impact the material networks have on rendering performance?

Luxology's material kits for Modo give a rough "complexity scale" to judge relative performance of the materials versus default material on an object, in order to provide users with an idea of how much those materials add to render times. Obviously there are a ton of other factors. Still, a "versus default" comparison at high-quality GI settings with per-material additions such as caustics, blurry refl where appropriate (using MC brute force GI plus MB & AA overall) ought to provide a rough multiplier compared against default. Perhaps even use a "reflective default" against caustics/blurry refl versions of the reflective ones.

Just an idea. I'd definitely like to have some kind of performance metric available when chosing a given material for a surface, so I can better estimate the overall render time cost of using it (and using various options with it).

chco2
03-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Hiya Kuzey,

Already bought the pack from you.

Just a tip:

Did wish you'd also included all the materials saved as surfaces. It's a pain working in a scene and trying out one of your metal node materials, since I can't just load them from disk.
Done it manually for some I might be using more often, but still.

Keep up the great work!

dwburman
03-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Material Blender doesn't work? http://www.db-w.com/products/dbwtools/docs?start=1

jeric_synergy
03-13-2011, 02:53 PM
BTW, I just emailed Lightwolf to tell him that the link to db-wTools is down:

http://www.db-w.com/component/remository/LightWave-Plugins-%28free%29/dbwToolsV1.8_Win.zip/

Didn't work here. <|^(

(FIXED NOW: 14:41 PDT)

ToMar
03-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Material Blender doesn't work? http://www.db-w.com/products/dbwtools/docs?start=1

Yup, even upon request from LW and adding it in the dialog, it says "0 plung-ins found in dbwTools.p"

Lightwolf
03-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Yup, even upon request from LW and adding it in the dialog, it says "0 plung-ins found in dbwTools.p"
Which version of LW and from which directory did you copy the .p ?

Cheers,
Mike

ToMar
03-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Which version of LW and from which directory did you copy the .p ?

Cheers,
Mike

from

.......dbwToolsV1.8_Win.zip\Win64\dbwTools.p

to

C:\NewTek\LightWave10.0_2067_64bit\support\plugins \3rdpartyfree\dbwTools.p

Lightwolf
03-14-2011, 03:25 AM
from

.......dbwToolsV1.8_Win.zip\Win64\dbwTools.p

to

C:\NewTek\LightWave10.0_2067_64bit\support\plugins \3rdpartyfree\dbwTools.p
Hm, very odd. I've just double checked using the same build of LW as well as the released binary on both Windows XP as well as Vista.

Could you try an older version from the archive? Alternatively you could also get in touch with me directly and I can try to suss out what's happening ( michael(dot)wolf(at)db-w(dot)com ).

Cheers,
Mike

jwiede
03-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Did wish you'd also included all the materials saved as surfaces. It's a pain working in a scene and trying out one of your metal node materials, since I can't just load them from disk.
Done it manually for some I might be using more often, but still.
So they're not packaged as presets? How are they packaged? How are users supposed to apply them to our own surfaces?

chco2
03-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Basically.. the three images from the metalpack you see are three lightwave scenes and models. You load up a model or a scene and copy the surface from there.

So they're not packaged as presets? How are they packaged? How are users supposed to apply them to our own surfaces?

TechnoBill
03-15-2011, 01:35 AM
All I did was create three Preset Libraries (Metals 1, 2 and three)
- Open Scene Editor,
- load Metals 1 object.
- Open the presets and select Metal 1 library
- Press F5 to open the Surface Editor
- Click on each surface in the surface list on the surfaces panel and then right click on the render preview and Save Surface as preset.
- Select the next surface in the list and right click, save as preset etc.

Once done, repeat for metals 2 and 3.

Once this is done you can just use the presets panel

(Not trying to be condescending, I don't know how much you know about lightwave)
There might even be a better way to add the presets but the above is what I used and did not take that long.
I Hope this helps,
Bill D

jwiede
03-17-2011, 07:58 AM
No problem. I don't see a big issue with converting them into presets (already knew how, but other readers might not, so thanks Bill), but some users might be surprised they weren't already packaged in a more-directly-usable format. I'd certainly prefer if they came as presets or at least saved surfaces, as that would save me time and effort, but I ordered them anyway knowing they do not.

chco2
03-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Good to share this indeed for the people not familier with this.
On the other hand.. Best to set the light in the scene to 150% otherwise the previews are too dark and unrecognisable.
And watch out with LW10.. sometimes if you click on a material and then click on another, it selects both! Seems to be a bug.

All I did was create three Preset Libraries (Metals 1, 2 and three)
- Open Scene Editor,
- load Metals 1 object.
- Open the presets and select Metal 1 library
- Press F5 to open the Surface Editor
- Click on each surface in the surface list on the surfaces panel and then right click on the render preview and Save Surface as preset.
- Select the next surface in the list and right click, save as preset etc.

Once done, repeat for metals 2 and 3.

Once this is done you can just use the presets panel

(Not trying to be condescending, I don't know how much you know about lightwave)
There might even be a better way to add the presets but the above is what I used and did not take that long.
I Hope this helps,
Bill D

Kuzey
03-29-2011, 07:37 AM
I stay away from Newtek forums for a few weeks and I miss out on all the action..hehe.

I hope everything has been worked out with the plugins.

Yeah, I had this great idea to have the images match the scenes, so people can use them as a visual guide. Noted...the next library (metal extension & leather) packs will come in presets :)

ps...there is a new special until the end of April...$26 for both the metal packs. It's the least I can do for the delay in the leather & metal extension packs....this node stuff is hard work..hehe.

PS....don't miss out this time around :hey:

Kuzey

Waves of light
05-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Here's a quick tip for anyone wanting to quickly save all the metal surface pack to presets:

1. Open Lightwave Layout (I'm using LW10)
2. Load one of the metal surface lws files, then open surface presets (F8)
3. Open surface editor (F5)
4. Click on a surface name (e.g. chrome_racer body) then press S (this should save it to your preset panel)
5. Click on the next surface in the list and repeat step 4.

Cheers,

Ricky.

Kuzey
05-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Here's the gladiator helmet with new rust.

More renders on the blog :hey:

Kuzey

Kuzey
05-18-2012, 12:49 PM
And here's that UFO I modelled some time ago:

Kuzey

Franco-Jo
05-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Before I get to my question I just want to say a quick thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. All the comments made have greatly helped my understanding of using the nodes. Also I'd like to say thanks to Kuzey for providing the awesome Metal Pack. Pulling apart your textures and trying to figure out what the heck is going on has greatly helped my understanding of how the nodes work so far.

Okay so my question is that I have several textures set up that use the grit node. How do I bake them ready for animation? I intend to animate the object but not deform the mesh. I have a basic understanding of how to use the surface baking camera and I had read that normally it's good practice to turn off the lights before baking. Since the position of the grit node rust is determined by where the lights are in the scene I wanted to ask how to bake the texture without baking the shadows.

Thanks

Franco-Jo
05-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Okay okay this is the wrong thread (not sure how to delete this message) I'll move it to the right one.

Kuzey
05-21-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks again for the kind words :thumbsup:

Hopefully..there's a solution for using grit node and baking surfaces..best practices and what not. It's one area I need to get into!

Kuzey

Kuzey
05-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Here's a few more metal surfaces & one that works well as a leather surface :D

Kuzey

Kuzey
07-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Just made this...more metal :D

Kuzey

Kuzey
06-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Oh yeah I almost forgot..extension pack is out :)

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2013/01/metal-extension-pack-is-here.html

I still have a handful of people to email the packs..I'll do that on Monday-ish

Kuzey

prometheus
06-23-2013, 03:30 PM
sweet stuff Kuzey, I have to take a look at those, someday:)

You havenīt happen to made any rock presets? Rock and ground presets has always been missing some good stuff, trying to work
something out myself, the advantage of using procedurals would be no issues with uv mapping, but you will have to work a lot with
tweakings to get something nice, and further that..rendertimes will be longer, I als try to avoid nodeīs since the one and only reason of slower renderings, and they do not update properly either while tweaking them and using VPR, standard layers no problem.

Textures are of course almost the most realistic ones of course..but faces the issue of finding good ones, uv mapping properly..and tiling issues.

Cheers.

Michael

Kuzey
06-24-2013, 02:51 AM
sweet stuff Kuzey, I have to take a look at those, someday:)

You havenīt happen to made any rock presets? Rock and ground presets has always been missing some good stuff, trying to work
something out myself, the advantage of using procedurals would be no issues with uv mapping, but you will have to work a lot with
tweakings to get something nice, and further that..rendertimes will be longer, I als try to avoid nodeīs since the one and only reason of slower renderings, and they do not update properly either while tweaking them and using VPR, standard layers no problem.

Textures are of course almost the most realistic ones of course..but faces the issue of finding good ones, uv mapping properly..and tiling issues.

Cheers.

Michael

Thanks Michael

Funny thing about presets, you can use them on different objects and still have them look good, I've used some of my metal surfaces on my leather sofa model and it looks good as leather..I'm always surprised when that happens :)

For example, Mark Jobe has used my metal pack on the Mariner 9 installation project (http://quaystudios.com/blog/?portfolio=mariner-9) for both the ground textures & object textures (If I'm not mistaken)

Some of the metal surfaces can pass as rock textures..might need some tweaking and what not..see the knight model..lots of potential there:

See also my Netsuke renders (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2010/12/gecko-netsuke-renders.html) as starting points

I'm pretty lazy & I'm very..very scared of uv mapping, but it's on my to do list..haha

And always...try my free downloads (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/search/label/free%20downloads) :)

Kuzey

Franco-Jo
06-24-2013, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the mention Kuzey. I should add though that for the Mariner 9 installation I only used your metal textures for the objects. My partner Kelly created the Mars terrain within Terragen. Now that you mention it though it would be interesting to see what results could come out of using the metal pack for rock surfaces...

Kuzey
06-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the mention Kuzey. I should add though that for the Mariner 9 installation I only used your metal textures for the objects. My partner Kelly created the Mars terrain within Terragen. Now that you mention it though it would be interesting to see what results could come out of using the metal pack for rock surfaces...

Thanks for the correction..half right is not that bad..haha

:)

Impressive work!!

Kuzey

Kuzey
06-27-2013, 05:08 AM
Here's a new leather test..more on the blog and more to come :)

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2013/06/leather-pack-update.html

Kuzey

Kuzey
07-02-2013, 05:11 AM
First leather bundle is on pre-release sale..only for people who bought the metal pack look here for details (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2013/07/leather-pack-bundle-early-bird-special.html)

Offer ends at the end of July & the leather pack ships in October or thereabouts :)

Spread the word if you wish :)

Kuzey

Kuzey
07-06-2013, 03:59 AM
Old leather needs to be appreciated as well :P

more on the blog (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2013/07/old-leather-2.html)

Kuzey

IgnusFast
07-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Hadn't been in the forums in a dog's age - just saw this for the first time, and immediately ordered. Beautiful surfaces!!

3dworks
07-09-2013, 02:04 PM
First leather bundle is on pre-release sale..only for people who bought the metal pack look here for details (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2013/07/leather-pack-bundle-early-bird-special.html)

Offer ends at the end of July & the leather pack ships in October or thereabouts :)

Spread the word if you wish :)

Kuzey

ordered ;-)

jwiede
07-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Kuzey, I sent you a couple questions about the leather pack via email, any info you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kuzey
07-13-2013, 03:54 AM
Thanks guys,

Kuzey, I sent you a couple questions about the leather pack via email, any info you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent you a reply..sorry for the delay.

Kuzey

- - - Updated - - -

New metal for a new bundle pack :P

More on the blog:

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2013/07/rob-bot-metal-wip2.html

Kuzey

Kuzey
07-13-2013, 04:03 AM

More leather..or is it fabric..I just don't know :P

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2013/07/leather-pack-update2.html

Kuzey

Kuzey
07-16-2013, 01:15 PM
More leather & what not:

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2013/07/leather-pack-black-white.html

3dworks
07-16-2013, 01:31 PM
More leather & what not:

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2013/07/leather-pack-black-white.html

hey, i can see you are working on my suggestions :)

i have a few observations to your renderings, please just consider them as suggestions, not real criticism, as it all depends what goal you are looking for with your node setups. i'm interested into photoreal materials, so that's the base for my observations.

first of all, i can see a sort of scaling issue with the more realistic textured leathers. the scale seems a bit too big to me. have a look at this image http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=115644&d=1374002068 for what i mean. the bump is maybe too pronounced as well, but then it all depends on the look you want to achieve. but the scaling of the leather texture is about 2 or 3 times oversize for that sofa, imo - or is it maybe a toy sofa? a trick to show details and natural size would be to render a close up area of the sofa. maybe you can use one of those older virtual camera shaders in LW for doing so automatically? don't remember the name... or use liberty 3d's dual camera.

another thing is that all your white leather experiments seem to have s sort of luminosity in them, at least they look unnaturally bright, as if they where emanating light. are your nodes energy conserving?

third thing, maybe related to the second point: maybe the nodes are using some sort of occlusion mapping? some of the sofas in the last blog entries look like if they had that kind of dust/ dirt on them, which in my opinion doesn't make the leather look natural, but more suited for NPR use.

please keep the interesting work going on, leather is what we need ;-) maybe with some nodes dedicated to photoreal look?

cheers

markus

Kuzey
07-16-2013, 01:50 PM
That sofa model is to real world scale, but I'll play with the scale & bump values..just to have a look see :)

I'll experiment some more with the white versions as well..can't have too many versions..I think.

All are on my to-do list,

Kuzey

ernpchan
01-01-2014, 10:58 AM
The purchase page talks about an expansion pack but the information looks to be old. What's the current price?

Kuzey, I tried pming you but your box is full.

Kuzey
01-01-2014, 12:17 PM
The purchase page talks about an expansion pack but the information looks to be old. What's the current price?

Kuzey, I tried pming you but your box is full.

The extension pack is here (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2013/01/metal-extension-pack-is-here.html)

I should really update that page, but the price is still the same $26.

I'll email them as soon as the transaction goes through..or on the next working day :)

ernpchan
01-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks.

You have a leather pack as well? It's a little hard to track down all your packs through the forum.

Kuzey
01-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks.

You have a leather pack as well? It's a little hard to track down all your packs through the forum.

Yes..but that's not released yet...it's taking a bit longer than I hoped.

Then there's also another metal bundle in the works as well :)

ernpchan
01-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Ah ok thanks for the info.

Kuzey
01-01-2014, 12:50 PM
It's my pleasure :)

ernpchan
01-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Then there's also another metal bundle in the works as well :)

Ok last question for the day. Does one get this upcoming metal bundle if they buy in now...or is it an additional cost? Sorta like buying a booster pack for a game.

Kuzey
01-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Ok last question for the day. Does one get this upcoming metal bundle if they buy in now...or is it an additional cost? Sorta like buying a booster pack for a game.

That one is totally a new...not an extension pack. However...I'm sure there will be a discount for buyers of the first metal pack :)

ernpchan
01-01-2014, 01:19 PM
That one is totally a new...not an extension pack. However...I'm sure there will be a discount for buyers of the first metal pack :)

Ok got it. Thx.

ernpchan
01-01-2014, 03:05 PM
I think I'm suffering post new year's eve stupidity. Right now you have the original metal pack and then one extension pack? Both need to be purchasing separately? Want to make sure I'm clicking the right link.

spherical
01-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Took a look just now and bought in. Nice job. They'll save a lot of time.

Kuzey
01-02-2014, 03:00 AM
I think I'm suffering post new year's eve stupidity. Right now you have the original metal pack and then one extension pack? Both need to be purchasing separately? Want to make sure I'm clicking the right link.

Haha...it's $26 total..you get the metal pack & extension pack :)

- - - Updated - - -

Took a look just now and bought in. Nice job. They'll save a lot of time.

Thank you...I just sent them to you :)

JohnMarchant
01-02-2014, 03:12 AM
Good to hear about another Metal extension pack Kuzey, sorry to hear the Leather pack is taking longer than planned

Kuzey
01-02-2014, 03:34 AM
Good to hear about another Metal extension pack Kuzey, sorry to hear the Leather pack is taking longer than planned

Thanks..it's this linear/sRGB colour space that's causing the problems. The nodes were made in 9.6 so they are linear & if you switch to sRGB space then it doesn't look anything close to the linear version.

I'm thinking of labeling them linear nodes so I can get them ready for February. Otherwise, I might have to do a second version (sRGB space) and I really don't want to do that.

What to do..what to do..my head is hurting :P

JohnMarchant
01-02-2014, 04:08 AM
I would do them in linear and leave it at that, people can and do have to tweak for sRGB, what about all the others rec709, cineon, ciexyz or your own preset one, i could do your head in.

Kuzey
01-02-2014, 04:22 AM
That sounds like the best option..I'll do that.

Just the kick I needed...February here I come :)

JohnMarchant
01-02-2014, 04:47 AM
Yeah Kuzey dont sweat the little things mate. The options for CS are vast and you cant cater to everyone. Linear is the option we have worked with before. If i need sRGB or the others we will tweak as usual. Unless you get enough requests for other CS formats leave it at that.

Looking forward to February, i have a nice chesterfield sofa that needs the old cracked leather look as well as a leather office chair.

Kuzey
01-02-2014, 05:40 AM
:)

It was a huge shock seeing the difference once I upgraded to 11.6..haha

JohnMarchant
01-02-2014, 06:52 AM
Indeed it is and with all the different types of CS out there you would really have your work cut out for you if you only ever did 1 Set of Presets.

Kuzey
01-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Speaking of nodes..here's some new metal (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2014/01/rob-bot-metal-wip3.html) :P

achilles
01-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Now i ordered them. How to get? Thanks.

Kuzey
01-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Now i ordered them. How to get? Thanks.

I just emailed them..should be in your in box :)

achilles
01-05-2014, 12:22 PM
yes. thanks

spherical
01-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Hi Kuzey,
OK, I have a question. I played around with these yesterday; both first and second editions. Any ideas on how to make a selection preview that would make choosing between them a bit more certain? The LWS/LWO pairs obviously show these as large as you want, because you can render them out, they are named in the Surface Editor for the parts that you originally created them for (although the model names that are in parens don't mean much to me), and I saved them all individually to new Libraries to keep them all in the same place and not have to open a Metals model to copy/paste a surface from one object to another. The Extension Pack surfaces, though, don't have names that say anything about how they look or what they are replicating. ppg28 doesn't do a lot for me when choosing what to use and the LW spheres are so darn small that it's difficult to get a grasp on the look from them. I suppose that rendering them all out and labeling each in PS, then putting the labeled group images on a local web page would work but I wondered if you had any thoughts.

Nice work, BTW. Those node trees make my brain hurt, though, but I'll learn from them. Nodes are still a black box for me to some extent.

Kuzey
01-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Hi Kuzey,
OK, I have a question. I played around with these yesterday; both first and second editions. Any ideas on how to make a selection preview that would make choosing between them a bit more certain? The LWS/LWO pairs obviously show these as large as you want, because you can render them out, they are named in the Surface Editor for the parts that you originally created them for (although the model names that are in parens don't mean much to me), and I saved them all individually to new Libraries to keep them all in the same place and not have to open a Metals model to copy/paste a surface from one object to another. The Extension Pack surfaces, though, don't have names that say anything about how they look or what they are replicating. ppg28 doesn't do a lot for me when choosing what to use and the LW spheres are so darn small that it's difficult to get a grasp on the look from them. I suppose that rendering them all out and labeling each in PS, then putting the labeled group images on a local web page would work but I wondered if you had any thoughts.

Nice work, BTW. Those node trees make my brain hurt, though, but I'll learn from them. Nodes are still a black box for me to some extent.

I made a map for the first pack..see it here (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2011/01/metal-node-library-pack-map.html)

As for the extension pack..they are more ordered :)

The first surface in the surface list(surface editor) belongs to the top left sphere, and as you go down the list, you move one sphere to the right..and then move one row down and repeat.

The names are named after the images I uploaded..see here (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/search?q=%09+Metal+Extension)

I think I should start a tumblr blog and have all the relevant images posted there for a quick and easy visual guide/reference.

Hope that helps and thank you :)

Kuzey
01-05-2014, 04:42 PM
Note to self: that's a great idea :)

I'll starting organizing a new blog tomorrow and I'll do the same for the leather surfaces later on :)

spherical
01-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Cool. Thanks!

Hmm... the second "see here" link goes to a 404: No posts matching the query: Metal Extension

The first surface in the surface list(surface editor) belongs to the top left sphere, and as you go down the list, you move one sphere to the right..and then move one row down and repeat.

This doesn't hold true everywhere. ppg7, ppg8, ppg11 all have brick red color. The last one, ppg11, is first in the list, while the other two are last. But, all of them appear as the top three on the left in the render. Figured out what the issue was. Renaming all of the surfaces, adding leading zeroes, fixes the problem and they now sort correctly in the Surface Editor.

Group 3 doesn't need this, as they are all three digits. Group 2 are all two digits but I added leading zeroes to them and to Group 3 in the first edition for consistency and, in case they are all put into the same group some day, I won't get lost again.

However, since I had also saved the surfaces from the scenes to the Preset shelf, I had to rename the .srf files then move the directories back to the user Surface Preset location, so that I could rename the preset names that display in the shelf. Renaming the files didn't change the display name in the Shelf. Once that was done, I moved the directories back to the install Surface Preset tree, as I don't want unnecessary hits to the SSD that the .User directory is on. That's a lot of renaming.

Now, when I expand the Preset Shelf window to 7 wide, the display matches the rendered TIFs from all 6 collections and I can better see what I'm selecting.

spherical
01-06-2014, 02:14 AM
Unfortunately, upon further examination, the three labeled images that were presented in 2011 for the first three collections are not displayed alphabetically. Therefore, the presets displayed do not match any sorting that the Surface Editor can display. These need to be reordered so that they correspond to a sort that the Surface Editor can accommodate, so that the two match and higher resolution representations can be used to select these presets.

The first collection should begin with (Nemo_gun)barrel_body_tube not (venus1)body.

Kuzey
01-06-2014, 04:33 AM
Cool. Thanks!

Hmm... the second "see here" link goes to a 404: No posts matching the query: Metal Extension

This doesn't hold true everywhere. ppg7, ppg8, ppg11 all have brick red color. The last one, ppg11, is first in the list, while the other two are last. But, all of them appear as the top three on the left in the render. Figured out what the issue was. Renaming all of the surfaces, adding leading zeroes, fixes the problem and they now sort correctly in the Surface Editor.

Group 3 doesn't need this, as they are all three digits. Group 2 are all two digits but I added leading zeroes to them and to Group 3 in the first edition for consistency and, in case they are all put into the same group some day, I won't get lost again.

However, since I had also saved the surfaces from the scenes to the Preset shelf, I had to rename the .srf files then move the directories back to the user Surface Preset location, so that I could rename the preset names that display in the shelf. Renaming the files didn't change the display name in the Shelf. Once that was done, I moved the directories back to the install Surface Preset tree, as I don't want unnecessary hits to the SSD that the .User directory is on. That's a lot of renaming.

Now, when I expand the Preset Shelf window to 7 wide, the display matches the rendered TIFs from all 6 collections and I can better see what I'm selecting.

This link should work: http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/search?q=Metal+Extension

Wow..that's a lot of renaming..sorry about that.

It didn't occur to me to make them Surface Editor friendly at the time...I'm glad you got it working.

Thank you, that info will help for the next set :thumbsup:

spherical
01-06-2014, 11:11 PM
Ok, now I've identified that the order in which the object renders are presented in the First Edition Pack images do not match either the order, as displayed in the Surface Editor or in the Presets Shelf. This is a serious detriment to getting an efficient method of identifying which surface to choose. Here's how it goes:

The Surface Editor does not care about case. It sorts according to letter/number, period. "N" == "n". So "Nemo" sorts between "interceptor" and "retro", no matter what the initial character case may be.

The Preset Shelf does not operate in the same manner. "N" sorts ahead of "c". While this may be a bug or "feature" that needs to be addressed within LW, while we are operating in this environment, these constraints need to be recognized and accommodated.

In order to obtain a meaningful preview of the surface I wish to choose, I want to be able to load a medium rez image and have that image correspond to the order that is displayed in the Preset Shelf. Having renamed the presets again in all three collections, removing the capitalization, the order now corresponds to that which is in the Surface Editor. Good. However, the order that is in the 3 supplied images on the web page is all screwed up. Hence, I have taken it upon myself to open the 3 LWOs and tediously move the orbs so that they match the order, as displayed in the Preset Shelf and the Surface Editor, and re-render the 3 images, then place them in my own local web page so that I can reliably refer to them.

My hearty recommendation is that this would be a Good Thing to do for all Editions, past present and future. Keep ordering consistent through any and all display systems. A significant benefit for the user.

P.S. The first collection only has 48 surfaces. When I opened the Preset Shelf, one surface less than that that which was expected displayed. In the Statistics window, select "(Nemo_gun)semi-8ringlets" surface in polygon mode and you get 648 polys, where all of the others are 324 polys, as they should be. Perhaps there is/was an initial difference between the two but they are named identically, which confuses LW, and the difference is unobtainable.

Kuzey
01-08-2014, 04:35 AM
P.S. The first collection only has 48 surfaces. When I opened the Preset Shelf, one surface less than that that which was expected displayed. In the Statistics window, select "(Nemo_gun)semi-8ringlets" surface in polygon mode and you get 648 polys, where all of the others are 324 polys, as they should be. Perhaps there is/was an initial difference between the two but they are named identically, which confuses LW, and the difference is unobtainable.

You sure have a good eye..I just noticed that surface was applied twice..oops. There were two surfaces one called "semi-8ringlets" and the other "8ringlets". I added the surface here if anyone wants it :)

Also, I started the new blog, but now blogger won't let me post additional images without checking to see if I'm a bot...of course I'm a bot :P

Look-see:

http://metalpack2.blogspot.com/

spherical
01-08-2014, 05:58 AM
Thanks. What's the difference between it and (bot_silver)largebot_eyeball?

Kuzey
01-08-2014, 06:37 AM
Thanks. What's the difference between it and (bot_silver)largebot_eyeball?

Haha...there is now :P

Kuzey
01-08-2014, 06:51 AM
Cummins Extra Special 4..more metal tests :)

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2014/01/cummins-extra-special-4.html

Kuzey
02-27-2014, 07:17 AM
New model..new metal :)

More on the blog (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com.tr/2014/02/viking-helmet-metal.html)

Kuzey
06-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Here's some news on the Leather Pack(s) (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com.tr/2014/06/leather-packs-1-2-update.html)...release date will be mid-July at the latest..fingers crossed :)