PDA

View Full Version : Capturing

DC Max
09-25-2003, 07:21 PM
I may be moving from Storm to NewTek in the future. Question: Can the VT3 capture unlimited amount of footage (no file size limit), and capture with a SINGLE FILE (not referenced) that can be transferred to other hard drives and accessed, or used on different systems? You get what I'm saying. I am sick of Premier and I am not going to waist money on Edius.

videoguy
09-25-2003, 08:26 PM
yeah there is now 2 gb file size limit. however as of right now you cannot move the files to a differnet pc because there is no standalona rtv codec. however you can move to any application on the host pc that supports avi fiels. remember that the toaster is uncompressed so you will need a fast raid setup. also every frame is around 700k so expect to never have enough storage

kleima
09-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Clarifications:
1. He meant "there is NO 2GB file size limit."
2. The VT can do uncompressed, but it can also do compressed, in a variety of flavors.

In other words, the answer to your question is YES.
When speaking of not being able to transfer files to another standalone machine Videoguy is refering to VT[3]'s AVI wrapper, which wraps uncompressed RTV's (VT's native file format) into AVI's that can be read by another application that can read an AVI. These wrapped files can only be read on the same machine, because the AVI is simply pointing to the original RTV files. However, the VT[3] can capture and edit (7+ layers in realtime) directly to AVI files which, of course, CAN be transferred to any application that reads AVI's, on ANY machine!
You wouldn't need a VT or a standalone RTV "codec" (if there is such a thing as an uncompressed codec) to use these files elsewhere.

SBowie
09-26-2003, 06:28 AM
BTW, I'd be interested to hear a little more about why you are disnechanted with your Canopus/Premiere product, if you don't mind?