PDA

View Full Version : Connecting two different planes

L0ckz0r
12-17-2010, 12:26 AM
I was wondering how I might create a polygon join between a rectangle plane and a semi circle plane.

I have a guitar with two parts, a neck which ends in a semi circle plane and the head which ends in a rectangle plane. I'm having trouble finding a way to connect the two, is there a tool I can use?

nickdigital
12-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Try this:
http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/bezierbridge.php

Or you could extrude your one end and then modify the other end to the shape that you want by hand.

lertola2
12-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Try the bridge tool. Its shorcut is l on my system. I am not sure if this is the default or if I added that key my self. If that does not work well I would just build it by hand.

-Joe

L0ckz0r
12-17-2010, 03:10 PM
It works fine for a circle but neither of the bridge tools work well with a semi circle, they sorta get messed up as you can see.

Sensei
12-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Use Multiply > Subdivide couple times on quad and/or on any long edge to add points (select edge and press l), and then Construct > Bridge. Tool needs some points to work with.

silviotoledo
12-17-2010, 04:54 PM
there's several different ways to do that.

Are you using subpatch or not?

and be sure that, sometimes you will need to do the operation poly by poly or point by point.

Crtl+W to weld points

Select each 4 points in order and press P to make a connection poly manually

Or select each 2 edges and choose BRIDGE

If you don't want triangles, you will need to subdivide the retangle to get the same point number as the semi circle.

L0ckz0r
12-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Okay that has helped a lot. Except no matter how many times I subdivide or knife edge some extra points, I still get this odd anomaly on one side. The other side looks great. You can see in the picture that the points aren't connecting where they should so it looks funky.

Kuzey
12-18-2010, 01:23 PM
I made a quick video tut...it's uploaded, but it's going to take 2.5 hours to be ready on vimeo...stay tuned :D

oh yes...I don't think I'll online then but check here:

http://www.vimeo.com/kuzey3d/videos

Kuzey

Kuzey
12-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Heck...it'll be reduced in pixel size on vimeo....so here it is :D

Kuzey

colkai
12-19-2010, 03:07 AM
Kuzey has the meat of it. If you're starting with polys that don't have the same points, just make sure you add points at the appropriate, err, points :p so the patch is smooth.

I've also used splines between the two polys so I can play with the shape more, but a similar thing can be achieved by knifing the bridge one it's done.

BTW, your anomaly looks like you've crossed points building a poly. Try killing the polys there and rebuilding by hand.

Kuzey
12-19-2010, 05:18 AM
Kuzey has the meat of it. If you're starting with polys that don't have the same points, just make sure you add points at the appropriate, err, points :p so the patch is smooth.

Speaking of which, I think...it's not only the same number of points that's the problem, but their internal number order as well. In my first attempt, I used a square with enough segments so the number of points was the same...turned it into an n-gon, but it still didn't turn out right...unless I did something wrong..hehe.

I'm thinking is similar to how morphs work...same number of points and the same point order?

Kuzey

colkai
12-20-2010, 02:32 AM
Yep, you're not wrong, you can get some very odd things going on with bridge. I've found sometimes, simply cutting and pasting the geometry is enough to make LW "forget" the point order, only sometimes though. :p

probiner
12-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Same experiece here. Thats why i use weld_strip lots of times since it works with selection order. You just need to extend the edge since it welds it doesn't skin things.

Unfortunetly kevman's website plugin department is down for now =/