PDA

View Full Version : LW8- Dynamics Tab (screen Grab)

WilliamVaughan
09-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Thought I would drop a new pic on the forums to keep you guys updated on some of the workflow enhancements. Here is a pic of the Dynamics resting in the Object Properties panel:

WilliamVaughan
09-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Here is the Hardbody integrated into the Properties Panel:

jonny
09-25-2003, 05:41 PM
Very cool Proton :) Looks like Newtek is doing a good job of integrating these tools...

l. a. akira
09-25-2003, 05:46 PM
Sweet! I hope the overall interface and color scheme stays the way it looks now. Any word on when its gonna be out the door?

zarti
09-25-2003, 05:50 PM
HEY! HEY!
I like it very much! well done NT team! thats it! :cool:
im dreamin using it. thats 8!

proton it is time to show the Surface Editor and Rendering Options.
what do you think?

P.S.: this new interface is UNTOUCHABLE! :D

Kuzey
09-25-2003, 05:50 PM
Coolness!!

More please:D

Kuzey

xtrm3d
09-25-2003, 05:52 PM
more.. please more .. give us more from our preeeeshiioussss !!!

and the interface design is getting better and better with every new screen shot :-)

milkman
09-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Very cool! Thanks proton!
I am pleased with this GUI.

riki
09-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Is it like dockable tabs?

Leigh
09-25-2003, 06:16 PM
The more I see of this new interface, the more frantic I become to get my hands on it! :D
These softFX and hardFX panels certainly look interesting...

Karmacop
09-25-2003, 06:41 PM
This is great Proton! These screenshots will keep me going for weeks :)

It looks like dynamics are built in and it'll become a plugin type, very cool! That flush plugins button is also looking nice. I should have thought of somethign like that.

Go Newtek!! :D :)

hrgiger
09-25-2003, 06:43 PM
I also like that interface, much better then the one we have now. I think the color scheme is bitchin.

Doug Nicola
09-25-2003, 07:06 PM
Thanks a lot for the screen grabs Proton. The new features are looking great, and I also vote a big thumbs up on the interface style. Very nice. :D

KillMe
09-25-2003, 07:19 PM
this is looks great - damn it i cant wait to get my hands on it

got to share the sentiment though the interface is great looks very organised and professional

archiea
09-25-2003, 07:53 PM
Sorry hrgiger, but I don't see how the interface is an improvement....

O don;t see how a uniform grey scren is an improvement over the subtle color differentiation that LW7.5 has. I find that the subtle color really helps differentiate groups of funtion. Meanwhile 8 is all uniform, and the buttons have small bevels in them that are useless. Useles in that it makes the interface more cluttered w/o helping group any of the functions.

geoff3dnz
09-25-2003, 07:59 PM
I probably shouldn't be posting this here, but I hope we can have an object properties panel, a light properties panel and a camera properties panel open at the same time ;)

Karmacop
09-25-2003, 08:02 PM
I have to say, the new look for the interface is a step backwards. This interface looks too harsh and not as eye pleasing at 6.0+

Rory_L
09-25-2003, 08:20 PM
Edges tab!!! :eek:

Valter
09-25-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Rory_L
Edges tab!!! :eek:

???????

Karmacop
09-25-2003, 08:40 PM
Looks like Rory is happy enough still discovering things in LW7 ;)

Rory_L
09-25-2003, 08:43 PM
True enough! My mistake. I`m the one at the back of the class staring out the window! Just ignore me, eh! :D

Rory_L
09-25-2003, 08:51 PM
Anyway...

Newtek keep telling us that the GUI is a pro tem stand in and doesn`t reflect the final look...so no need to get exited about the colour scheme just yet. I`m for anything that doesn`t shout "look at me look at me!" when I`m trying to work.

By the way, is it only me or does anyone else think that a `Blush` smiley would be a useful addition to the forum? Hehe!

R

Karmacop
09-25-2003, 09:02 PM
That's ok Rory, I'm sure alot of people thought the same, I did :p

I know they are still thiking about the gui but all the ones they've shown look similar, as if they want it to look like LW 5 again.

And yes, there's alot of smilies missing .. maybe a smilie competition liek cgtalk had ... only hopefully we'l get better smilies :p

CoryC
09-25-2003, 09:03 PM
Null button!!! :eek: there are nulls now?

Sorry. I had to tease a little. Now that that is out of my system...

While I prefer an interface more like Matt's design, As long as the render button is still included I could easily work with this design. If Newtek waited until there was complete agreement on a design before releasing LW8 we might get it around the next millenium.

I like how the workflow is looking so far. It's hard to tell just looking at a screen grab but it seems there is some better organization. I just hope the camera properties and the render options are untouched and as far away from each other as possible. I would have too much extra time on my hands otherwise. OK, so it wasn't completely out of my system.

Rory_L
09-25-2003, 09:14 PM
Mmm! I make these mistakes every now and then here. It`s a day-job MAYA user`s occupational hazard! :) If I could get LW installed on my office machine I`d avoid these egg-on-face moments.

Yes, they`ve consistently shown us the same grey GUI for months now, but I don`t know if it means anything.

Has anyone been to the old prototype Concorde? The in-service models are all the height of luxury, so I`m told, but this prototype was just a stripped down hull with wires and things poking out all over the place. Looked ugly, but functional. I think this is what we`re looking at when we see these screenshots now. When Newtek`ve finished with the wiring and plumbing, they`ll turn to the soft furnishings!

CoryC: your welcome! :)

RoryR

CoryC
09-25-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Rory_L
When Newtek`ve finished with the wiring and plumbing, they`ll turn to the soft furnishings!

CoryC: your welcome! :)

RoryR

Careful what you write here. The way things go, people will see the bit about wires and plumbing and the next thing you know, Rumors will have Lightwave 8 coming with a built-in mini bar. :)

Psyhke
09-25-2003, 09:39 PM
What? Lightwave 8 is coming with a built in mini-bar?! Sweet. :)

Rory_L
09-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Yes, maybe the Concorde example was poorly chosen. LW8: it looks like it can break the sound barrier, but just crashes as soon as you launch it out of the hub! No thanks!:)

Psyche: not a mini bar: hostess service!:D

Psyhke
09-25-2003, 10:02 PM
You mean like if I want a twinkie, or ding-dong, I can just fire up LW8?! :)

CoryC
09-25-2003, 10:06 PM
I think you would just go to the snack dropdown menu and select twinkie. It would then appear from the included USB 2.0/1394 snack and beverage dispenser.

Psyhke
09-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by CoryC
I think you would just go to the snack dropdown menu and select twinkie. It would then appear from the included USB 2.0/1394 snack and beverage dispenser.

Haha... Oh yeah, this upgrade is gonna rock. :D

Hervé
09-25-2003, 11:28 PM
Is it me or the color scheme looks a bit like softimage..? I kinda liyk... have to say...

Earl
09-25-2003, 11:36 PM
Ahhhh, THANKS Proton! just enough to keep us drooling for more. :D

Jabba
09-26-2003, 01:06 AM
I've just one little question to Proton ;)

Are those simulated motion 'readable' by other LW features? Are they 'transparently' integrated?
IE: Any chance to read simulated HardBody motion by Lscript, export scene to *.x file (fbx, whatever) or parent something to HBpiece WITHOU BAKING its motion?

If you say yes, it will unvail that there are also 'inner core' changes, and it's really important to me. For example, for now, i'm forced to bake IK before exporting the motion or read them at worldcoors. It's really drawback in our pipeline (gamedev).

Exper
09-26-2003, 01:21 AM
Ok...
Holy Proton is a hit with everyone again! :D

Bye.

badllarma
09-26-2003, 02:43 AM
:D Well I really like the look of things so far, not that I'm that bothered either way just keep it dark (AKA) Digital Fusion as it allow the subject to stand out which after all what it is all about:)
One question wheres all the tools disapeard from from the side bar:confused:

EG Items Tab
Move, Rotate, Size etc....etc.....

"Windows" Pull down:D I wonder if thats something to do with what I was asking for ages ago?? With regards to setting view ports to view Surface editor, Spread sheet rather than have them floating around (pain in the arse on a one screen setup). As I'm forever draging them out of the way to view the subject in the view port.

I can but dream:D

grafikdon
09-26-2003, 03:16 AM
Are we getting this by the middle of October, no?

pixelmonk
09-26-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
Is it me or the color scheme looks a bit like softimage..? I kinda liyk... have to say...

softimage, combustion, df, max (w/color attrib), etc.

Darker hues are the way to go in a production environment as it allows your eyes and brain to focus on the content and not on the pretty (useless) icons that can clutter an interface. I had a link to a study performed which states the "Darker is better" in a production environment. I'll see if I can dig it up off the old puter. Knowing your hotkeys are another workflow facilitator.

tasmanian
09-26-2003, 05:45 AM
as if they want it to look like LW 5 again.

YES ! Now we're heading in the right direction...:D

mattclary
09-26-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by badllarma

One question wheres all the tools disapeard from from the side bar
EG Items Tab
Move, Rotate, Size etc....etc.....

Probably under the "Modify" tab.

Karmacop
09-26-2003, 05:57 AM
lw5 looked like the lightwaves before it and the lightwaves before it looked like that because that's what the amiga could do at the time. LW6's interface was a step foward as far as looks and broke free from the amiga look while still looking similar. To go back to a "it looks like the because it's all the amiga can do" interface is a step back.

pixelmonk
09-26-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by mattclary
Probably under the "Modify" tab.

Heh.. I like your sig! I did read an interesting report on Tom's HW about A64 vs. the "PIV Extreme" <-- a repackaged Xeon.

fxnut
09-26-2003, 06:08 AM
I could be wrong, but from that screen shot it looks like we've got a new plugin LScript/SDK class - "Dynamics"

Sweet :)

anieves
09-26-2003, 06:17 AM
cool! keep 'em coming!!! oh yeah this upgrade looks like a must have.

retinajoy
09-26-2003, 06:50 AM
I personally like the new GUI a lot. It seems from those screenshots and comparing them to my 7.5 screen, the workflow has been improved. The darker colours for me like others have mentioned, do seem to help you concentrate/focus more on the actual work. I wonder if the undo button brings up a dialogue showing some history, so you can jump straight to 20 changes ago?

jr_sunshine
09-26-2003, 07:00 AM
Oh lord....

Here we go again..

Waaaaa waaaaa waaaaa

Proton just showed cool stuff and what are we talking about?

The color of buttons.

Hilarious... totally hilarious.

robkoni
09-26-2003, 07:01 AM
Please Cut the light blue highlights:mad:

zarti
09-26-2003, 07:07 AM
Proton...
Surface Editor and Rendering Options panels ...... :D

viros
09-26-2003, 07:48 AM
if someone need curv deforms ....... ineed it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#####################:mad:

badllarma
09-26-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by zarti
Proton...
Surface Editor and Rendering Options panels ...... :D

How about modeler :D

Nice touch that on the screens already show softFX and hardFX have different tabs for each types functions...intresting.....it's amazing what you notice when your waiting to go to the pub:D :D

zarti
09-26-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by badllarma
How about modeler :D

Nice touch that on the screens already show softFX and hardFX have different tabs for each types functions...intresting.....it's amazing what you notice when your waiting to go to the pub:D :D

Let the MODELER rest in ....... whereever it is.

Surface Edit. and Render Opts....... Proton say something....

Mike Pauza
09-26-2003, 09:04 AM
THE NEW WORKFLOW LOOKS AWESOME!
If MD works like it looks, we're all going to be making some killer dynamics animations very soon. I can't wait :):):)

-Mike Pauza (3DPhysicist)

mav3rick
09-26-2003, 09:57 AM
sunshine:
u noticed we did not get answer on our post..... this is tradition ... truth hurts.....
mike pauza:
heh do you really use lw only for MD?

anieves
09-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by jr_sunshine
Oh lord....

Here we go again..

Waaaaa waaaaa waaaaa

The color of buttons.

no kidding. we begged for new screens and ppl just talk about the look of buttons! I dbout this is the final interface look anyway since it is identical to what it has been said before that it is not final:rolleyes: but if it is final I'm cool with that. This upgrade is looking better and better, I'm excited; I wanna know in which ways the workflow has been changed in modeller if it has at all. I'll be happy taking a peak at that Render tab;)

WilliamVaughan
09-26-2003, 10:04 AM
Thanx for all of your patience.....we will keep you updated as we can....we are all very excited about LW8 and are very happy to see that teh community is as well. I will try and post more pix soon

timsvw
09-26-2003, 10:15 AM
Everything looks great so far and I can't wait to get my hands on it. One of the things that I missed comming over from Maya is rigid body dynamics. I also can't wait to play with the new animation tools.

RiGLEY
09-26-2003, 12:00 PM
?

pnelson
09-26-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Psyhke
You mean like if I want a twinkie, or ding-dong, I can just fire up LW8?! :)

I he could hit a button and get a "ding-Dong" then Proton would be a happy camper!!! ;->

Later,
Philip

KOlson
09-27-2003, 07:37 AM
Love the UI look, dont change it! :)

TSpyrison
09-27-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by pnelson
I he could hit a button and get a "ding-Dong" then Proton would be a happy camper!!! ;->

Later,
Philip

Hey, there is a thing for a teapot, why not one for twinkies?
:D

Stewpot
09-27-2003, 07:02 PM
Yeh,

I agreen with some previous posters, it seems everytime a new screen grab is posted it degenerates into a discussion about the GUI.

Who gives a s***, and who looks at it too long if you are working?

As long as they don't include icons, its bug free and works as advertised, I'm happy.

Oh, and about the plumbing comment, its for a bog, this means that you don't have to get up to pee or whatever, and can be more productive.

facial deluxe
09-27-2003, 10:47 PM
I think all that new stuff is awesome, can't wait to put my hands on it :D !!
Proton Man, it would be awesomly cool, if you could prepare us some step by step tuts (screen grabs) of how you setup all those dynamic parameter.
And, why not the new bones thing....
Just to get in touch with the new phylosophy :D

Awesome awesome !!

tasmanian
09-29-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by jr_sunshine
Oh lord....

Here we go again..

Waaaaa waaaaa waaaaa

The color of buttons.

:D You are so right ! I think NT shouldn't even bother putting in new features, let them make the ultimate look. That's what we really want. It's not about features, it's about looks :D :D :D

ngrava
09-29-2003, 12:50 AM
Here's a bit of LW[8] trainspotting.

I noticed these on metagones: http://www.metagons.com/images/SI0608.jpg
http://www.metagons.com/images/SI0608.jpg

If you look at the top you'll see. Dosen't really show anything but they are cool models. ;)

-=GB=-

Red_Oddity
09-29-2003, 05:40 AM
Why 3 times the same link?:confused:

Karmacop
09-29-2003, 06:04 AM
I'm sure he meant

http://www.metagons.com/images/SI0605.jpg
http://www.metagons.com/images/SI0606.jpg
http://www.metagons.com/images/SI0607.jpg

Still looks like it's all 3 and 4 sided polys :rolleyes:

Red_Oddity
09-29-2003, 09:36 AM
doh!...mondays...sorry, could have have figured that one out myself...:rolleyes:

And then all of a sudden...all modelers got a blue background...*dodges fireball*

Red_Oddity
09-29-2003, 09:39 AM
More seriously...

Is that a BG layer, or are we gonna get wireframe view in Texture view mode?

Earl
09-29-2003, 10:03 AM
Just a background layer it seems. You can see the black lines breaking up here and there from overlapping.

hrgiger
09-29-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Karmacop

Still looks like it's all 3 and 4 sided polys :rolleyes:

Hmm, even if we get support for ngons and such, I'm not sure they'd still be a lot of good for character work. That or perhaps Proton has been modeling with 3 and 4 point patches so long, it's what he's used to. That or perhaps it's still just 3 and 4 point polys.;)

ngrava
09-29-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
Why 3 times the same link?:confused:

LOL! Man it was late... Sorry about that. ;-)

-=GB=-

fartofart
10-18-2003, 07:51 AM
well nice newtek you like to do a step back?

iam not talking from all the new features as some do before.
i think this thread is INTERFACE dedicated and not deals about features- features i miss and features we need.

About the interface, well it remindes me on 5.5 days and
makes me not feel good.
Should i say that we have luck that you not found the old 5.0 interface? Well less saturation and a middle gray is good,
thus yellow carpet pattern of the interface do not effect the importen colors of the work.
For my tast looks the up-to-date interface like a graveyard
-sorry Proton. I have seen some interface PS designs from you which looked mutch more trend-setting as this stuff.

This all might have one posesitive side - the interfave looks less ram intensive :)

And about the pulldown menues does this changed ?
i dont like long pulldowns menues. Multiple panels like other applcation provide are mutch usefuller and bring us quicker to the target.

HeHe- and does LW only runs only under XP ?

best regards
c.drewitz;) :( :(

cornel
10-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Newtek ! Please have a look at the GUI of Messiah 4 ! This is a natural progression from the Lightwave Interface ! It's nothing fancy or trendy, it just looks like a modern interface.

The last screengrab from proton looks like a step backwards, I can live with that, but it will hurt newteks sales, because it just looks like an outdated software. This is dangerous for newtek, because lightwave is already in a difficult position.

Kvaalen
10-18-2003, 12:57 PM
If I am not mistaken, the current interface is temporary since they are still designing the new interface.

It's funny how some people hate it and some people love it and at the end it is probably going to be completly different. :)

Emmanuel
10-18-2003, 12:59 PM
Okay, sorry, I got to object here:
have a guess how many seats of SoftImage 3.9 are there in the industry.
Its a LOT, at ILMs and other large studios.Go check out some making ofs.
LW is *not* mainly targetted at the hobby users, cause the price is a bit higher than most hobbyists wnat to spend.
And the *professionals* know what they want from a GUI, and most pros use hotkeys or anything that makes their job easier and faster.
Having something very simple and not distracting as a GUI is the thing most pro users want, and the rest can go and get some Bryce if they want to :)

sketchyjay
10-18-2003, 05:30 PM
I hope the black wireshaded view is not just a a backgound layer.

an option to change that wire color would be great.

Jay