PDA

View Full Version : Workflow opinion

Ty Catt
12-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Hey y'all,

I have a project which requires me to create a baby birthing animation.

How would you approach the idea of animating the uterus squeezing the baby out (shrinking as it conforms to the baby passing through the birth canal). All while maintaining a profile cutaway to see the baby pass thru.

Create a uterus and use bones?

Hard / soft body dynamics?

Metalink with Collision?

Some many different ways and I'm afraid I haven't thought of enough of the pros and cons and will get myself into trouble if I get too far into the project with one (wrong) method.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Ty

Waves of light
12-16-2010, 03:19 PM
You could do it with bones (and maybe weight maps). Check this out on yt for some reference/ideas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duPxBXN4qMg

SplineGod
12-16-2010, 11:14 PM
I would use an endomorph or two driven by a texture or two.

Ty Catt
12-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the reply guys.

Waves- I'll watch that clip next!

Larry- great to hear from you. I wish you and yours all the best. To get any help from you feels selfish. It's incredible that you would take the time out of your day and still help people. Stay strong!

I should probably mention, I really need an "elasticky" structure in case the client wants the baby's position to be adjusted. In other words, an uterus object that really can hug the baby's shape. That's why I thought the collision object / dynamics would be best- the uterus just needs to be re-calculated after every adjustment.

Or am I crazy and no such method exists?

Thanks for the help!

Tyler

SplineGod
12-17-2010, 01:50 PM
No problem! Im feeling alot better.
IF thats the case I would try applying clothfx to the uterus. In the clothfx panel try reducing the polygon size slightly to get it to hug the baby more closely. Make the baby a collision object or use a lower poly proxy object that approximates the shape of the fetus.

Ty Catt
12-19-2010, 08:23 AM
I'll give it a try. Thanks again, Larry. Your expertise on these forums has been nothing but the best!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Tyler

SplineGod
12-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks Ty, much appreicated. Ive had to do similar things in the past and it usually worked :)

Ty Catt
12-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Larry- I am curious about the previous posting (3 ago). You mentioned using a "texture driven" endomorph, too. I have used endomorphs in the past, but what do you mean by "texture driven"?

Thanks again for all your help!

Tyler

SplineGod
12-21-2010, 03:13 PM
You can activate endomorphs by using textures using nodal or the normal displacement plugin.