Hi gang,
First the info
Windows 7 Professional
Intel(R) Core (TM) i7 CPU 860 @2.80Ghz 2.79Ghz
Ram 4 GB (2.93 usable)
System 32 bit
Running VT 5 with latest build

My problem
When I first got the machine (built by a dealer) everything worked flawlessly. But then after a few months the audio would just 'go away'. The audio meters just above the transport controls would show audio, but nothing would come out the speakers. When I would open the tab that housed the virual audio mixer / switcher / SX 84 breakout box - everything seemed normal. ie audio meters moving on the 'audio mixer' etc.
If I exit out of VT5 and re-enter VT5, the SX-84 would have the big white letters (outlined in blue) SX Breakout Not Detected.
I have to power down the computer and restart (rebooting does not fix it) 90% of the time a restart will fix the problem ie.. I may have to restart more than once to get it going again.
Some days it won't function on initial morning startup.
I've tried not having any other programs running, but can't find any consistancy in duplicating the problem... and of course.. it is in it's worst mood when the boss wants to see something I've done.
I have gone to lunch with everything running fine and come back to "no audio".
When this happens, all of the functions of the editor seem to be fine..
start - stop - edit - CG - etc
Some days I can go all day and not have one episode.. other days like today... well, it's frustrating. :bangwall:

Any ideas??
Thanks in advance
John

jcupp
12-16-2010, 10:30 AM
See: http://newteknews.blogspot.com/2008/10/troubleshooting-sx-8-or-sx-84.html

videojt
12-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Jeff,
OK, so it finally quit again this morning. After running the 'cmd' 'run' commands, I found the message 'no analog daughter card', which, according to the link indicates that I have a bad daughter card or no power to the card... the next thing is to check the power connections to it and then see if it happens again...I'll keep you posted,, thanks for your input.
John
All of this poses the question. "Can the daughter card be 'going out' and/or how can powering down and restarting the computer 'fix' the problem??

jcupp
12-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Flaky hardware is nothing new, it happens all the time. Life would be simpler if things would fail and then stay failed but that's not always what happens. But on the bright side, it could just be a loose power cable.

videojt
12-22-2010, 04:49 PM
I have reseated all the boards - connectors - everything I can think of.
Still not fixed.. kind-of frustrating... it quit 3 times this morning right out of the gate.. for no apparent reason..and then has been fine the rest of the day.(and I've been working it hard)
Does NT still repair these boards - if so - would I be better to let the dealer send it back? Any idea what kind of turn-around time I'm looking at?
Thanks
John

ted
12-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Call tech support for an RMA. If you send it overnight, they will return it the same way.
I would anticipate a couple days in the shop if it's easy to confirm the problem.
Best of luck!

SBowie
12-23-2010, 06:55 AM
I would anticipate a couple days in the shop if it's easy to confirm the problem.Just to mention a timing factor to weigh, there are less business days in the next 10 days or so than most periods. NewTek facilities are closed today and tomorrow, for example. This could have some impact on turnaround.

videojt
01-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Well, I've noticed another interesting anomaly when I loose audio.
The RS-8 starts involuntarily doing crossfades between Program and Preview. The Auto button lights up, the cross fade happens... the Auto button lights up, the cross fade happens .... continously until I exit VT... and of course when I run 'newtekrtme' it tells me there is 'no analog daughter card'
I obviously haven't sent the card in to NewTek yet. Wondering if anyone else has had this particular situation... also wondering if this confirms the daughter card problem or could it be something else.

Fortunately for me, I use VT every day and really can't be w/o it for a long time.. should I call NT support? Will these symptoms be enough for them to give me a definitive answer.... I could send it in when I head out of town (I guess). Right now the once or twice a day that it happens.... is palatable and it's not getting worse... I just fear that one day I'll come to work and VT won't work...
Thanks for reading and offering any suggestions.
John

SBowie
01-06-2011, 07:37 AM
.. should I call NT support?Can't think why not, apart from the long distance charge, which shouldn't be all that great calling from inside the US. FWIW, if it comes to an RMA, turnaround is usually quite quick, and I think they usually ship return by whatever means you use to send the item - so if you overnight it, so do they (not promising this, but it's my impression).