WilliamVaughan
09-25-2003, 04:43 PM
http://www.3dgamers.com/screenshots/games/doom3/

BNA!
09-25-2003, 11:49 PM
Looking good as ever - these two are new:

http://www.3dgamers.com/screenshots/games/doom3/10.html

http://www.3dgamers.com/screenshots/games/doom3/13.html

Any word about support for Animations done in Lightwave for Doom3?

Karmacop
09-26-2003, 02:59 AM
Yeah, any info you can give us on specific tools (other than lightwave and maya) that they are using Proton? Are they using anything special and will doom 3/LW8 ship with those tools?

And how cool are their offices Proton? ;)

Red_Oddity
09-26-2003, 03:55 AM
They'll probably ship the game with a version of Maya PLE just like UT2003...

How can NT keep on missing such new markets by just failing to make a deal with a game company...

Care to explain Proton?

Exper
09-26-2003, 04:16 AM
Not the first time... as far as I know! :(

Bye.

pixelmonk
09-26-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
They'll probably ship the game with a version of Maya PLE just like UT2003...

How can NT keep on missing such new markets by just failing to make a deal with a game company...

Care to explain Proton?

explain what?

why keep badgering them over the same topics?

Explainations are in the archives if you still want to stratch that itc. I'll help though... Some of these gaming companies have built their engine to import/export, realtime, with another 3D application (such as Max, Maya, or XSI). LW has been used in numerous games, but it still lags with regards to game development support over the others mentioned.

BTW, the gaming market is not a "new" market, nor is the development of Doom3. It was talked about a while ago by iD. So you shouldn't make it sound like Doom3 was just announced and some how Newtek missed the boat.

iD has used LW, Maya and a few others in the past and whatever is thrown on the final CD as a development tool for users is by no means what iD considers the end all be all. I could care less if they throw XSI, LW and Maya (who'd want max >:) ) all on the CD. I have my own copy (non-crippled).

Karmacop
09-26-2003, 05:33 AM
I think the situation is this: If someone wants to ship the lightwave discovery edition on their game cd or include a seperate cd Newtek has no problem with this. They will not however pay a company to ship it with their game, they prefer to spend their money on software development.

More power to them I say.

pixelmonk
09-26-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Karmacop
I think the situation is this: If someone wants to ship the lightwave discovery edition on their game cd or include a seperate cd Newtek has no problem with this. They will not however pay a company to ship it with their game, they prefer to spend their money on software development.

More power to them I say.

Yup... Alias has done the opposite and spent more money on advertising. Granted, you see "Maya" plastered everywhere, but at the expense of the company. Last year they closed down a lot of their regional offices and aren't selling as many Linux licenses as hoped (which that development took away from their available manhours). The grass isn't always greener on the other side. ;)

Matt
09-27-2003, 10:11 AM
this game just can't be released quick enough for me!!!!

Red_Oddity
09-29-2003, 05:39 AM
I still think it's weird though, could have been a nice opening in the mod market (read potential future buyers)...on the other hand...maybe not that weird.
Epic seems to be in it for the money lately more than anything else (i know, i know, it's a company and offcourse they are in it for the money, but the games lately just 'miss' something that old games (used) to have...maybe just me.)
Just look at their new deal with MS...ahwell...

*stopped ranting*

UT2004 and Doom3 both are on my must buy list anyway...couldn't care less if they threw in Maya on every friggin' CD or not.

WizCraker
10-10-2003, 05:44 PM
that id Software uses Lightwave? Like is the a picture of Proton with John Carmack and gang holding up a lightwave box?

DaveW
10-10-2003, 06:30 PM
The legacy video showed LW in the background, and Kenneth Scott has been using LW for several years, and an interview with Fred Nilsson (animator) he said they're using LW. I think Carmack or one of the level designers also said they're using it for level geometry. Did you think Newtek was lying or something?

WizCraker
10-10-2003, 11:25 PM
I did not say Newtek was lieing. I just know people that have visited id and they state that Maya is used and that Lightwave was used by 1 or 2 artist but it is not a company adoption. So when Wes from Wordware has said they use exclusively was it just Doom 3 or is there actual hard proof that id uses it.

Skonk
10-11-2003, 04:16 AM
Lightwave was used for modeling and maya for animating, for example where the pinkydemon bursts through the wall bending all the pipes and stuff, that was animated in maya.

The engine its self can load lwo files directly :)

James..

Karmacop
10-11-2003, 05:10 AM
Umm .. iD only has 2 modelers and one animator ...

WizCraker
10-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Alright I was just making sure.

BNA!
10-12-2003, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by WizCraker
I did not say Newtek was lieing. I just know people that have visited id and they state that Maya is used and that Lightwave was used by 1 or 2 artist but it is not a company adoption. So when Wes from Wordware has said they use exclusively was it just Doom 3 or is there actual hard proof that id uses it.

id software did even use Lightwave to model and render base textures for Quake3.

AFAIK the modeling for Doom³ is done almost exclusively with Lightwave while Fred Nilsson animates the characters with MAYA.
The animations get translated (from .ma or .mb) into the proprietary (but plain text) format md5mesh for the geometry and md5anim for the animation.

I think this decision was less based on the tool itself, but more on the fact that Fred comes from a Movie background and is very fluent with MAYA. To hurt the production pipeline by having the artist first to pick up a new package would've been more painfull than to write a plugin (IMHO).

The Doom³ level editor is also used to export selected parts of the level geometry to .obj - this way Fred can animate parts of the level seamlessly to add some dramatic moments to the scenery.

The nice cutscenes you see can be done within the level editor, at least all the camera movements. It's almost like a super super light version of Layout :)

Furthermore the game engine sports a flexible and complex (enough) scripting engine. Basically you can achieve very neat effects, assumed you're willing to write forward kinematics manually...

Whatever, I hope it comes out soon!

WizCraker
10-12-2003, 04:22 AM
How does everybody find this information?

Emmanuel
10-12-2003, 05:36 AM
"iD only has 2 modelers and one animator "

Really ? Hardly believable, how many artists do they have at all ?
Mr Scott is primarly a texture artist (as seen on Daikatana), isn't he ?

Karmacop
10-12-2003, 07:18 AM
Actually looking at http://www.idsoftware.com/business/home/team/ it looks like they've added staff .. but this is what I know ...

Adrian Carmack: Concept art
Kevin Cloud: textures
Seneca Menard: Modeler
Fred Nilson: Animator
Kenneth Scott: Textures, modeler

Artists I'm not sure about are: Andy Chang, James Houska and Patrick Thomas.

But yeah, iD has always been a small company. Quake was made by about 13 people I think, and they have 21 people on their team list at the moment.

Emmanuel
10-12-2003, 08:37 AM
Amazing.The normal team size for such project is three times higher...

WizCraker
10-12-2003, 09:50 PM
John Carmack never liked working for large companies.