PDA

View Full Version : My first idea for a script..

TSpyrison
09-25-2003, 04:05 PM
Howdy..

I think I have a cool idea for a script.. But im not sure if ive got the brains to figure it out.
I have never looked at l-script before, except to add it into lightwave . So im probally already over my head, but here is the idea..

Take a disco ball, for example. If you just parent a light to the ball, with some projection maps.. the light will travel out at the same angle.

What I want to do, is write a script, that will figure out the angle of reflection for each “mirror” in the ball, and rotate the luxigon lights according to that angle. (possibly even multiple lights per mirror.. as a lot of time there might be more than one light aimed at the discoball). Anyway.. I guess what I need to to first, is learn how to program lscript. Then, figure out how to calculate the angles of a null or light in relation to polygon normals, then use that to control the direction of the lights..

This is one of those things for me to do, for the hell of it, and to learn how to do it 

So.. am I nuts?

fxnut
09-25-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by TSpyrison
So.. am I nuts?

Umm quite possibly, but it's hard to tell from over here ;) :D

Yep, it's quite possible to do what you're saying in LScript and sounds like an interesting one to write. You'll probably have to write it as a "Master" class of LScript since you want to modify the rotations of numerous objects - and not just one (in which case you would have used an "Item Animation" class. It probably won't be the fastest script in the world either, just cause of the sheer number of lights you'll have to modify. In fact it sounds like a pretty tricky script to write to be honest, but good luck!

P.S. Just out of interest, have you tried to see what sort of results you get using caustics to create a disco ball?

fxnut
09-25-2003, 07:13 PM
Well, I was curious and couldn't help but try it out myself with caustics.

TSpyrison
09-25-2003, 09:26 PM
I never even thought about using caustics...

TSpyrison
09-25-2003, 09:32 PM
Hey, Can ya get the caustics to work as volumetric? Everyplace Ive seen a disco ball has been somewhat smoky..

:D