PDA

View Full Version : Realflow and Lightwave

stevecullum
12-14-2010, 06:53 AM
I've started experimenting a bit with Realflow, with a view to exporting the meshes for rendering in LW etc..

But, no matter what setting I use, the particles in Realflow always jitter around when the liquid is slowmoving or supposed to have stopped. Is this normal?

I've tried increasing the scale, upping the sim resolution, changing the collision offsets etc... there must be something I'm missing - I can't believe a $4000 bit of software jitters about so unsatifactorily!

Anyone else have this problem?

OnlineRender
12-14-2010, 07:28 AM
you need to slow the particles right down , you add force volume ,then let the sim render without adding to the timeline . then begin from there .

I don't have RF infront of me atm , buts that how you do it . or alernative is to pull the gravity down more .

remember the particles have elisticity they bounce , you need to kill them .

what RF-LW pluggin are you using , 1.1 is bugged , but they did release a fix .

EDIT ( ITS CALLED SPEED DEMON_) , dont kill it to 0 or it will kill your fluids go to 1.5 run sim pause , 1 run sim pause 0.5 run sim pause : then begin your inital fluid sim . there is an icon next to the time bar which you can RUN SIM without effecting the actual timeline

just watch can mess things up easiliy in RF

Watch this will give you better IDEA : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9Zh6_3F-aM --------'tune' youtube saveeeeees the daaaaaay

stevecullum
12-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks - I'll check this out.

So if the sim was say liquid into a glass, presumably I would need to 'dial up' the speed demon towards the end?

OnlineRender
12-14-2010, 10:00 AM
scene is variable , need to see concept art to know what you mean exactly .

But I gather your going from solid state to gas ? .
this raises some issue 'alot' to be exact , you can export your fluid mesh into lw along with your partcles "can be rendered as hyper voxels , blending them will be dificult alot of comp work and layers .again scene dependant .

remember RF dosnt do fluids it does particles and overlays a fluid mesh

3DGFXStudios
12-14-2010, 10:05 AM
that jittering stuff is normal and really hard to get rid of.

stevecullum
12-14-2010, 11:28 AM
It's just a simple liquid pouring into a glass. Then it should come to a rest, except it's jitter-tactic. I'll see what the speed daemon does....

erikals
12-14-2010, 11:38 AM
that jittering stuff is normal and really hard to get rid of.

no expert, but yes, that's my conclusion too...

the faster movements the better... this way the jittering looks less noticeable...

Netvudu
12-14-2010, 12:02 PM
from what I read you already tried, but just in case let me remind you itīs better to simulate on a 1 meter glass than a real size glass of water. When scale is so small but forces are high, you always end up with jitering.
Without RF in front of me, I think that apart from the already mentioned Speed daemon, thereīs also a Drag Force Daemon which might help as well.

OnlineRender
12-14-2010, 12:17 PM
Dragforce is another good sugestion , you can use pretty much every toolset , just a matter of tweaking the var , for example you can use a vortex or magnet demon , to push and pull .

I found that alot of tweaking is involved to get it to run fluent "no pun " also alot of after effects timeremapping and hold frames ect . , it starts to get interesting when you add dyn with RF meshes LW does not handle it very well , NULL CLICK CRASH . lol

RELATED :
your best going into RF and using there dynimac syst3m and import back into LW , some scripting is required if you want to shater glass for example , but its more stable " I found " bring in there own dyn rather than blending the RF mesh with LW dyn .

Titus
12-14-2010, 01:13 PM
I've started experimenting a bit with Realflow, with a view to exporting the meshes for rendering in LW etc..

But, no matter what setting I use, the particles in Realflow always jitter around when the liquid is slowmoving or supposed to have stopped. Is this normal?

I've tried increasing the scale, upping the sim resolution, changing the collision offsets etc... there must be something I'm missing - I can't believe a $4000 bit of software jitters about so unsatifactorily!

Anyone else have this problem?

RealFlow is an amazing piece of software but not easy to master. Usually a simulation may take hours or days to setup. For simple simulations I always try first Blender, its simplicity saves me headaches.

stevecullum
12-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. I was too thinking about blender, but there isn't much documentation on the advanced features.

I'll continue to experiment with RF for now though. The dynamics in Realflow seem a bit slow, but they were accurate. More testing needed for that too :)

erikals
12-15-2010, 03:17 AM
but beware, as concluded before, Blender has limitations as for how large the simulation can be.
(how many points it can handle)

CharlieL
02-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Interesting thread! I would like to keep it running because I have a lot to learn here.

I recently read a lot about fluid-animations in Blender . As far as I understood it will
not work when water is poured or sprayed on a moving object (an obstacle in the flow).
If it not is a simple plane. But I am trying to show how a machine will clean itself,
when a part is rotating in front of a water beam.

but just in case let me remind you itīs better to simulate on a 1 meter glass than a real size glass of water. When scale is so small but forces are high, you always end up with jitering.

I am glad I found this because of extreme jittering in my scene. Now I will try
to enlarge my 10 cm object to 10 meters. I am curious on the effect.

Lastly I wonder, do you think I will come anywhere with RealFlow and Lightwave
(w RF plugin) on a 4 core processor, 64-bit with 16 GB ram?
It is getting really tired already with 5-6 millions particles in LW.