PDA

View Full Version : IKBoost and bones on an organic model...

Samoht VII
12-13-2010, 03:17 AM
Hi Guys,

I am having a hard time finding some help on my problem.
Here's the thing. I have modeled a character (Human) and I have given him all the bones need, arms legs, head, torso etc. and now i have taken him to Layout and i'm really struggling to set him up so he can move easily.
I am trying to set it up so i can have a null for either arms and legs and on the movement of the null the character arms or legs will respond to try and 'reach' the null. Basically i want to set up IKBoost on the bones but I have no idea how.
I select a bone and select IKBoost but nothing. I do understand IKBoost and how it works but i've never tried using it on bones.

Please help.

Here is what i have set-up.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/9952/bonesl.png (http://img140.imageshack.us/i/bonesl.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Dodgy
12-13-2010, 04:38 AM
No, what you want is IK alone, if you want the arms to reach for a null.

1:Select your hand bone. Open the Motion Options panel (press 'm') and under Goal Object, select your null. You can set 'Match Goal orientation' if you want to rotate the goal and have the hand match that. Then select the elbow bone, and depending on which way it's facing, click the Controllers and Limits Tab and set either the Rotation Heading or Pitch controller to be IK. Set the Shoulder heading AND pitch controllers to be IK, and then for the bone above the shoulder in the hierarchy, set 'unaffected by descendants'.

Then you should be able to drag his goal around and have the hand follow it!
Alternately, download the AutoIk plugin from my web page which makes set up a lot quicker.

If you're going to use IKB, that's more a full system, and isn't great for animation. You can still use it for posing, but I wouldn't recommend it for pinning feet to the floor for example.

Greenlaw
12-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Yes, do what Mike says.

I recently started using IK Booster for editing 'homebrew' mocap data on a personal project and it's actually being quite good for that, but for keyframe animation I think I will still stick with the traditional rigging tools. (Mostly anyway.)

As for locking feet down, you can reliably lock the feet with IKB but you apparently have to Fix two joints in the feet to keep the rotation solid. Personally, I think traditional IK tools along with Match Goal Orientation and/or IK-FK blending might work better though.

But for editing mocap, IKB is turning out to be pretty awesome.

You can, of course, combine the tools and use the most appropriate parts of each. (Since I'm new to using IKB, I'm still figuring that part out.)

G.

jasonwestmas
12-13-2010, 10:39 AM
Boy, people really seem to be attracted to IKB for some reason. Rhiggit is a better autorigger if that's what you are after but here is how I choose to use IKB with LW rigging:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105111&highlight=FiberFX

Greenlaw
12-13-2010, 11:12 AM
Jason,

I was turned off from IK Booster years ago when it first came out but that had a lot to do with the fact that it simply didn't work very well back then.

I only got interested in it again recently when several animators here in the Forums recommended it as a 'MotionBuilder Lite' for editing mocap data. After spending some time with it, I have to agree with them: IKB does work very well for working with animations where every frame has been baked, mocap data in particular. But those same animators say it's awkward for traditional keyframe animation, and on that I also have to agree.

Anyway, thanks for posting the link. I'm looking forward to watching how you've been using IKB. Off to see it now. :)

G.

Edit: That's a good thread. Not sure how I missed that one. :)

jasonwestmas
12-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Jason,

I was turned off from IK Booster years ago when it first came out but that had a lot to do with the fact that it simply didn't work very well back then.

I only got interested in it again recently when I several animators here in the Forums recommended it as a 'MotionBuilder Lite' for editing mocap data. After spending some time with it, I have to agree with them: IKB does work very well for working with animations where every frame has been baked, mocap data in particular. But those same animators say it's awkward for traditional keyframe animation, and on that I also have to agree.

Anyway, thanks for posting the link. I'm looking forward to watching how you've been using IKB. Off to see it now. :)

G.

Edit: That's a good thread. Not sure how I missed that one. :)

Yeah IKB is certainly a popular topic. On that thread I was just demonstrating on how IKB provides pretty nice handles using nulls as the base manipulators for IKB. I also like IKB's lite version of set driven key which is nice for curling the spine using a single handle. The charm of IKB handles when I set them up as I did was the click,move/rotate with just a single mouse gesture. The left hand is not needed to pose anything. Feels faster and more intuitive that way.

IKB does work by itself but it's too linear, going back and fixing things after baking the feet is too tedious. I'm just one of those "what you see is what you get" kind of people. I'm not a big fan of guessing and going with what the software just happens to give me in this day and age. I can't resist having IKB for FK arms though, it's so nice to be able to just grab the wrist or tail of a character and move the whole arm without much setup.

I was hoping way back in the LW8 days that NT would take IKB and make it more like keyframing in Motionbuilder where you can actually pin down the translations and rotations of the bones completely, no rocking of the bones at all in that application when you lock them down.

But on the other side of the tracks Rhiggit is certainly nice for some canned deformations and is certainly a pro rig animation wise. I would suspect I could use the IKB handles with Rhiggit as well. I'll have to try that.

Samoht VII
12-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Wow, thanks for all the help, I'll try out your suggections now. I have one more problem though.

I'm trying to set-up weight maps for the model but I create a weight map and send it to Layout to test it and then i F12 back to modeller and modify that weight map but when i sync to Layout it doesn't seem to respond to the changes.

So i basically have to test the weight map then close layout and try again. suggestions?

Thanks

jasonwestmas
12-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Wow, thanks for all the help, I'll try out your suggections now. I have one more problem though.

I'm trying to set-up weight maps for the model but I create a weight map and send it to Layout to test it and then i F12 back to modeller and modify that weight map but when i sync to Layout it doesn't seem to respond to the changes.

So i basically have to test the weight map then close layout and try again. suggestions?

Thanks

That shouldn't happen in LW9.6 unless the Hub is installed improperly. Make sure your names in the layout bone properties are correctly corresponding to the maps you make in modeler. You could also try taking your config files out of your User folder or where ever you put your configs. then restart LW.

Dodgy
12-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah IKB is certainly a popular topic. On that thread I was just demonstrating on how IKB provides pretty nice handles using nulls as the base manipulators for IKB. I also like IKB's lite version of set driven key which is nice for curling the spine using a single handle. The charm of IKB handles when I set them up as I did was the click,move/rotate with just a single mouse gesture. The left hand is not needed to pose anything. Feels faster and more intuitive that way.

IKB does work by itself but it's too linear, going back and fixing things after baking the feet is too tedious. I'm just one of those "what you see is what you get" kind of people. I'm not a big fan of guessing and going with what the software just happens to give me in this day and age. I can't resist having IKB for FK arms though, it's so nice to be able to just grab the wrist or tail of a character and move the whole arm without much setup.

I was hoping way back in the LW8 days that NT would take IKB and make it more like keyframing in Motionbuilder where you can actually pin down the translations and rotations of the bones completely, no rocking of the bones at all in that application when you lock them down.

But on the other side of the tracks Rhiggit is certainly nice for some canned deformations and is certainly a pro rig animation wise. I would suspect I could use the IKB handles with Rhiggit as well. I'll have to try that.

Quoted for agreement! I love the interface and the just grab and drag approach, I just wish fixing was keyable and you didn't have to bake anything.

Dodgy
12-13-2010, 07:37 PM

Thanks

Well I tend to do a lot of my weight painting in vertex paint, which allows you to rotate bones to test joint deformation.

You can also cut objects to pieces to weight them separately, then paste them back together and merge their points to make things easier (for example, cutting off the arm and arm skelegons, pasting them into a new layer then weighting, then cutting and pasting them back into the main layer and merging the points)

electricanimation
12-16-2010, 10:14 AM
You need to build your rig, all the bones. Go to object properties Add custom object select Ik_Boster. You can also right click the base of the object. IKB will shut down if you select Y for rotate or T for move, Just turn it on again on the tool bar and the IK bost will work. Larry Shultz has an excelent DVD on IK_Bost. Try this, set up 20 bones turn IK bost grab the last bone and you can move it like a whip. move down the chain right click on a bone select fix and grab the end bone the chain stays put at the fix point. This can be turned on or of on the fly and this is just the beginning of what IKBost will do.
Cheers Electric Animation