PDA

View Full Version : UV Map gets bad quality.

Samoht VII
12-13-2010, 12:23 AM
I have been playing around with UV mapping lately and i am tring to get a texture onto a pair of jeans i modeled. So i export the eps and get it into photoshop and the size is about 250x250 for the UV map and i paste a huge jeans texture on it and it is pretty high quality all over the uv map. Anyway i take it to LW and apply it but it becomes really bad quality. I don't know what else to say. I don't feel like i'm doing anything wrong but there must be a better way to do it.

Thanks

Greenlaw
12-13-2010, 01:38 AM
By 'bad quality', do you mean resolution? 250 x 250 is actually pretty low res. Is it a mapping issue? Stretching? How are you creating the UVs? Are you using PLG in Lightwave or another UV tool like UVLayout, Modo, or 3D Coat to minimize stretching, or just a straight projection?

It would help if you could post some images. Simply saying "it becomes bad quality" is not very specific.

G.

UnCommonGrafx
12-13-2010, 03:50 AM
A 250x250 map is a guaranteed "bad quality" map. Consider this: most maps today are at least 2048x2048. 1024 for 'low res'.

lardbros
12-17-2010, 06:09 AM
And are you going by what you're seeing in the render 'F9' or what you see in the viewports?

Admittedly 256x256 is VERY low resolution... so would avoid that. If you have a 256x256 image and you add an EXTREMELY high resolution (4096x4096) image of anything over that 256x256 image, it still remains that size. So in turn will always be low-resolution.

If your map is higher than that, and looks alright in Photoshop, then maybe it's your viewport settings. Make sure your viewport is set to show a higher quality image. You can choose the resolution within the Options panel under OpenGL.

Some images of what's going wrong would help too!