PDA

View Full Version : extrude and taper?

jimiclaybrooks
12-12-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm trying to make a whip for a model. The whip is being carried in his hand. The thing is, its rolled up, and its also tapered as it extends to the end, starting out at about 2 inches at the base, and gradually going down to about an eighth inch at the tip. My question is, how can I do the extrude and taper at the same time? Is it possible, or will I just have to make the whip, and then roll it up after it's uv mapped?

Dexter2999
12-12-2010, 01:40 PM
There is a function that does that already called Magic Taper (I think...something like that)

jimiclaybrooks
12-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks, I'll chek it out
:thumbsup:

nickdigital
12-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Instead of rolling it up in modeler you could roll it up with bones in Layout. This way if you need to adjust the model it's easier to do it on a model that's straight. Plus posing it will be easier.

wrench
12-12-2010, 02:22 PM
MagicBevel is the tool in Modeler.

B

probiner
12-12-2010, 03:41 PM
PX_Bezier (http://translate.google.pt/translate?hl=pt-PT&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pictrix.jp%2F%3Fp%3D3740) might be nicer then Magic Bevel, since you can save the path and tweak it later and you work with beziers, so, less control points.
I can't figure a way to make the plugin to pick an existing spline, wich i think, it's a shame.

To pick an existing spline and control the tapper falloff there are ways... but maybe a bit overcomplicated.

One could be to make a uv for the profile, use Rail Extrude with 'Make UVs', Run UV2Weight to get a weight map along the whip. Then make a morph and 'Point Normal Move' to make it the least thin. Then in Layout get some nodes like the image below to make the whip taper according to the weight map (Curve node for falloff control).

Cheers

jimiclaybrooks
12-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks Probiner,
Thanks for your help, it is much appreciated, but honestly, what you propose is waaaaaaaaaaaay too complicated for me! I found out that in blender, you can make the whip with a spline,and then just scale it down towards the tip. Yu have to convert the spline to polys, and export it as obj. So that's what I did. What I will do is try and use the px bezier plugin next time, just to see if it can be done in Lwave.