PDA

View Full Version : Buying LW 9.6 W/ upgrade to 10 from a 3rd party

manfriday
12-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Hi,
I am considering buying a copy of lightwave 9.6 from a guy locally.
He says it comes with an upgrade to version 10.
It seems like it would, but I just thought I would drop a line in here and see if anyone knew whether the "upgrade" offer transfered to the new owner, or if it vanished in a puff of smoke when the 9.6 license is transfered.
:)

Thanks!

jasonwestmas
12-10-2010, 07:16 PM
The 9.6 licensed dongle doesn't necessarily include a LW10.0 license you know. Just thought I would warn you. But yes, if he has a way to prove that he had indeed purchased 9.6+10.0 upgrade then yes, it would transfer to the dongle key that he will give you. Make sure you get the dongle key and that it works for lighwave.

dwburman
12-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Yes, you'd have to make sure LW9.6 was purchased after a certain date (where LW10 was included) or that he purchased the LW10 upgrade.

I don't remember when exactly new licenses of LW9 started to include LW10 so you might want to call Newtek.

My understanding is that is that transferring Lightwave licenses is a fairly painless process.

jasonwestmas
12-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Yes, you'd have to make sure LW9.6 was purchased after a certain date (where LW10 was included) or that he purchased the LW10 upgrade.

I don't remember when exactly new licenses of LW9 started to include LW10 so you might want to call Newtek.

My understanding is that is that transferring Lightwave licenses is a fairly painless process.

Yeah that's a good point, probably would be best to use Newtek as the mediator in all of this, have this person selling you the dongle contact Newtek or have him present some sort of documentation that you are in fact getting the 10.0 upgrade and then ask NT if it is a ligit transfer.

eagleeyed
12-10-2010, 10:12 PM
I went through exactly the same, purchased LightWave 9.6 and the person I bought it from already had purchased Core, so we got that transferred.

You do need to go through NewTek to get the licenses transferred, The 9.6 license went to my account no problems within a week or so, however the Hardcore transfer took around 10 months before it appeared in my account.

LW-Cad also came with the dongle, and they transferred it over no probs to me.

Definately get in contact with NewTek though, as there is a bit of paperwork involved.

manfriday
12-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Thanks guys!