PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming PLK (Poser to Lightwave) Deficiances

MiniFireDragon
12-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Those of you who have used PLK know that it doesn't always do the job. Espcially on the PZ3 files (I haven't found one that works yet). And now that VFXCast is down (hopefully not forever) Spline God's and others tutorials on how to get things into LW are absent.

The issue though, with Spline God's tutorial is it uses Micheal 3 (which applies to Victoria 3). With that package, the morph maps were embedded in the CR2 and were brought in (the true morphs). And if you wanted the special morphs you would have to turn them into true morphs yourself (sadly, my tutorial on how to do that is on VFXCast and I can't seem to find my original!).

Well, with the release of Lightwave 10 approaching swiftly I decided to try and once and for all (inexpensively) bring Poser models into lightwave via PLK.

After browsing, researching and buying programs in an effort to finally resolve getting a decent Poser model in with less work I can say I did it.

Now, I know Smith Micro has released PoserFusion with Poser8 and PoserPro. I haven't tried it to see if it works. But if you are looking to make use of the PLK read on.

As you may be aware of, Poser doesn't spit out CR2s (atleast I couldn't get it to to do) and PLK chokes and dies on PZ3 files.

Here is the toolkits required

Lightwave
PLK

Daz 3d (free) www.daz3d.com
Figure Setup Tools ($30) http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=8113

I did find this and used it to get the special morphs out:
Morph2CR2 (free) http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=44893&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=6d733f1976ec4dd531349727a5a992c3
But it does not carry over the Material Changes u may have done to it, nor does it look like it gets large amounts of morphs out.

And quite frankly, I don't think PLK can pull in a large amount of Morphs either. In my tests, I pulled in ALOT of morphs. I loaded Vic4.2 up with the base morphs, morph++, Elite Morphs AND NBM morph pack.

At which I then used the Figure Setup Tool CR2 out gizmo and closed Daz. Opened up Modeler and brought in the new model I saved out.

In my inspection of the morphs it brought in, it missed the mouth morphs for the talky talky. I thought they may have been special morphs (like some of the breast movements) and decided to try just those loaded onto Vic4.2

Sure enough they were there when loaded, so all I can assume is one of these programs isn't turning over all the morph maps, and if need be, I will just backgroundtomorph it.

Finally I saved the model to LWO and fired up Layout. Popped her in there and loaded the Bones. I don't know how well this worked. I probably messed up a setting (I simply am not smart when it comes to bones) so the bones came in, just really tiny.

I think there was a setting for bone size and such, but they weren't operating as I'd expect them too (probably screwed up on the Z import).

But if Boning is a must despite the loads of endomorphs you now have (my list shown 200+), Daz has support for Collada (haven't tried it)
But I did use:

FBX Exporter ($100) http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=4137
When I bought it a couple years ago I had Platinum Membership and they were running a 50% off... so I nabbed it for $30! :P

Well, I thought I was winning, 9.6 FBX sucks! BRROOOKEN... But <looks around>

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw10.php

You might want to check out LW10 FBX when released.

Anyway, onto MDD. Since Newtek is the creater of MDD (correct right?) I thought my Poser version I have might be of use. I don't know yet, I completely overlooked PLKs MDD python script for Poser, and tonight I plan on trying it out!

Other then that, the only way to get MDD out of Poser that I have found is with VueScripts pMDD script (using the demo). I haven't gotten it to work right yet (most likely my issues). Victoria looked mushed and turned inside out.

Anyway, in short, for $30 you can get the newer models from Daz into Lightwave and have fun with them.

SplineGod
12-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Thanks for doing that.
I am no longer supporting Vfxcast because its owned by Kurv.
I will be pulling my videos off and moving them elsewhere and/or redoing them as I get the chance.
I also received an email from the developer of PLK that he is no longer selling the plugin thru Kurv either. Im not sure if and where it will be available again but hopefully it will be available soon again. :)

MiniFireDragon
12-11-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks SplineGod.

I did do a test of the PLK PoserMDD python script. I got the same mess I got using VueScripts MDD exporter. I next is to try the MDD on the original obj file and see if it works.

SplineGod
12-11-2010, 11:25 PM
In hte past Ive had good luck importing the poser skeleton and motions using PLK. After that I tend to apply IKBoost to further tweak the motions.

MiniFireDragon
12-12-2010, 01:04 AM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I have gotten in Bones and motions no problem as well. I was just trying to get the MDD out of Poser and into Lightwave as there are scripts that modify the mesh in Poser and that doesn't appear in bones.

nightrider
12-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Thanks for doing that.
I will be pulling my videos off and moving them elsewhere and/or redoing them as I get the chance.
I also received an email from the developer of PLK that he is no longer selling the plugin thru Kurv either. Im not sure if and where it will be available again but hopefully it will be available soon again. :)

PLZ
How can I contact the devloper off PLK ???

deadlybuda
03-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Yeah we gotta get this guy outta hiding. It's so frustrating because PLK works almost perfectly with all the "3" characters like M3, v3, etc. but stuff just goes funky with the M4, V4 characters.
In all cases it's just ONE little thing that screws up, but it does everything else so right...it's just so frustrating. WE NEED A PLK UPDATE!!! We'll do anything! well almost.

dpont
03-13-2011, 01:12 AM
The last version of PLK send to the vendor was 1.13,
and the last version of Python scripts including MDD baker was 1.02,
but as Larry said, PLK is no longer sold, neither supported.

Denis.

blueshift
03-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Thanks for doing that.

Is there some sort of conflict or badblood going on here that I missed that people are backing away from Kurv and VFXCast ?

deadlybuda
03-14-2011, 01:04 AM
If Daz bought plk and updated it they would probably make some decent money off it.

deadlybuda
03-14-2011, 01:09 AM
In fact, maybe lets do a chip-in. I'd pledge $50 towards development, and if everyone else chipped in the same that wants this updated, it would probably be enough to encourage someone to get coding. Maybe we, the PLK Abandoned, can start a new company? Our $50 will be our share in the new company. Heck we would probably make our money back after a year or so.

dpont
03-14-2011, 02:24 AM
...and if everyone else chipped in the same that wants this updated...

What's the last update you got?
Check the About button to know your version.

Denis.

deadlybuda
03-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Looks like I have version 1.08 made on (11/06/08)

dwburman
03-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Is there some sort of conflict or badblood going on here that I missed that people are backing away from Kurv and VFXCast ?

Yes, but threads that discuss the rift can get rather rough and usually get locked. :)

Several of the artists that were affiliated with Kurv are now at liberty3d.com, so you can ask on the forums over there if you want to hear their side of the story. I guess SpinQuad.com is the place to ask for Kurv's side of the story.

dpont
03-15-2011, 01:07 AM
Looks like I have version 1.08 made on (11/06/08)

As I know the errors in poses was introduced in the version 1.08,
the version 1.09 fixed the problem (11/08/08),
the vendor was informed many times after that this
version was important and should be delivered to the users,
the last version of PLK is 1.13 and was available for the
vendor from 11/24/09.

Denis.

dpont
03-15-2011, 01:28 AM
...I did do a test of the PLK PoserMDD python script. I got the same mess I got using VueScripts MDD exporter. I next is to try the MDD on the original obj file and see if it works.

I suppose also that the version 1.02 of the PLK python scripts
was not delivered, it was available at the 11/24/09, with fixes
and additions.

Denis.

deadlybuda
03-15-2011, 03:06 AM
Wow. I can't believe Kurv didn't send me any information that there was an update! For a $125 or whatever it was an e-mail telling me how I could get the update (even though I bought it in 2010!) Would have been nice. How do I get the update I should have got?

By the way, it's 2011 and I still haven't been able to login to Kurv forums to search the ridiculously long PLK thread.

Just...you know... sayin'