PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #105 - Netsuke

XswampyX
12-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #105 - Netsuke
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Netsuke (Japanese:根付) are miniature sculptures that were invented in 17th-century Japan to serve a practical function (the two Japanese characters ne+tsuke mean "root" and "to attach"). Traditional Japanese garments—robes called kosode and kimono—had no pockets; however, men who wore them needed a place to store their personal belongings, such as pipes, tobacco, money, seals, or medicines.

Either a copy of one or just in the style of them.

- Netsuke -

Time Limit - 90 minutes
Deadline - Wednesday 15th December 2010, 2200 GMT

Iain
12-09-2010, 03:26 AM
Love it!
This is really going to push my modelling abilities though :eek:

COBRASoft
12-09-2010, 04:06 AM
Never heard about this, looks really nice and difficult.

Iain
12-09-2010, 09:31 AM
I thought this one would be easy :hey:
90 minutes (I ran out of time so its actually a sextupus!)

Nangleator
12-09-2010, 09:53 AM
My research revealed some... ahem... mature-themed examples. I will refrain from inspiration of that sort!

JeffrySG
12-09-2010, 09:56 AM
very cool topic! nice one Iain!
lol @ nangleator....

IgnusFast
12-09-2010, 03:46 PM
I think the description is a little misleading - the netsuke is not the *container* itself; the container is called a sagemono. Netsuke are a class of small, ornamental device that attaches to a sagemono suspension cord, allowing the container to be hung from the sash of a wearer's robe. The sagemono was generally a bag, basket, or hand-crafted box.

Still an AWESOME idea, since really it could be ANYTHING.

richdj
12-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I thought this one would be easy :hey:
90 minutes (I ran out of time so its actually a sextupus!)

Please tell me that first image is a photo...

Excellent Iain...

Rich

Iain
12-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks Rich and Jeffry.

I want to do another one of these.

Iain
12-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Hmmm I was going to try another one tonight but I don't fancy the competition much :D

Maybe the challenges need a rest for a few weeks. There's been some great topics and no interest.

Kuzey
12-13-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm hoping to get one done, tried the other day....but was a complete failure :D

Maybe, they should be extended during holiday seasons to up to four weeks or so?

I was hoping Newtek, would start sponsoring the challenge with a prize or two for sometime now, it might attract more new users to take part.

Just thinking out loud...as usual.

Kuzey

Iain
12-13-2010, 12:46 PM
I agree Kuzey but I don't know if we need sponsorship (the first ever winner did get a t-shirt though!)
I'd just like a sub-forum so the current challenge doesn't get lost in the other threads when people don't post on it for a day.

It is a bit annoying that there is a dedicated section here for all sorts of crap and one of the most topical, positive and consistently well populated concepts is just floundering in the ether.:confused:

Kuzey
12-13-2010, 01:03 PM
True indeed, it so needs a place of it's own :thumbsup:

About the prizes, I was thinking it might attract more users to the site :D
I wasn't thinking of a prize for each challenge...more like every six months or end of year round up, best work, most improved artist and perhaps a best newcomer...that kind of thing.

Kuzey

Iain
12-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Yes that makes sense although I fear we don't really have the kind of moderation here that you would need for that.

Anything would be an improvement though. I'd be sorry to see it just die when it really is a great way to improve your skillset.

COBRASoft
12-13-2010, 01:14 PM
I totally agree Iain and Kuzey! I've learned so much already from these challenges in the little time I could spent on it.

Prices would be nice, but I don't think a t-shirt or the like is needed. It could be small things like texture maps. Cheap or free things that are useful nonetheless. A price per season/holiday perhaps?

Kuzey
12-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Yes that makes sense although I fear we don't really have the kind of moderation here that you would need for that.

About that...I was thinking we have 3 judges to take care of that stuff...you, me & Richard. We practically keep this thing going anyway....free LW updates for the trouble of doing so (being judges), seems like a win...win to me.

Sorry, I couldn't resist the last bit..haha :hey:

Kuzey

Kuzey
12-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Getting back on topic...I found this site, lots of great examples:

http://www.internetsuke.com/insarchive/main.php

Kuzey

COBRASoft
12-13-2010, 01:57 PM
Kuzey, I couldn't think of better judges. You three are indeed the spirit of these challenges.

Pitty this topic is so difficult for me :(.

Nangleator
12-13-2010, 02:23 PM
These tasty little treats are beyond me, too. As is my schedule.

But I've figured out the subject of next week's challenge. There should be something for everyone in there.

JeffrySG
12-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Hmmm I was going to try another one tonight but I don't fancy the competition much :D

Maybe the challenges need a rest for a few weeks. There's been some great topics and no interest.

well... I actually felt bad after reading this... lol, not too bad but it pushed me to do an entry... I wanted to test LW10 anyway. I did think this was a cool topic. Not sure how appropriate this is but it was just an idea that came to me.

I think I had about 30min for the modeling and 40min or so for the scene setup and texturing....

I sure hope the challenges keep on going and hopefully there will be more people participating. I did have a few ideas that might spark a little interest as well.

1. we could do a challenge where we all try to model the same object maybe based off a reference object. Then we could all see how we approach it differently and learn from each other that way.

2. What if we didn't need to do a rendering for the challenges for a little while. Then we could just focus on the modeling aspect. I do find that I spend more time texturing and lighting these challenges then I do modeling.

Just some ideas maybe to try for one or two challenges or not.... ;)

Iain
12-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Thats a lovely entry Jeffry!

Sorry for pressuring you into entering-that wasn't my intention. I genuinely feel a break might help but you may have a point. Sometimes I don't enter because I know I won't have time to do the render justice.

Yep, worth considering.

JeffrySG
12-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Thats a lovely entry Jeffry!

Sorry for pressuring you into entering-that wasn't my intention. I genuinely feel a break might help but you may have a point. Sometimes I don't enter because I know I won't have time to do the render justice.

Yep, worth considering.

Thanks, Iain. No worries. It was a good kick in the pants. It's so easy to waste an hour surfing and doing nothing, why not spend it on a challenge...

A small update to the textures and I adjusted the model slightly but it would be really hard to see where.

....ALSO another thought for the challenges....

What if an object was picked by the person who was picking the topic for the week and everyone modeled a different section of the object and then it was all put together at the end of the challenge? I know this might be hard if people don't finish their work but just another idea.

COBRASoft
12-13-2010, 07:04 PM
JeffrySG: could be a nice idea, but I prefer the previous one more. 1 reference model, no render required. It would be interesting to ssee how other people solve certain problems for the same object. Oh yes, nice work :).

JeffrySG
12-13-2010, 07:10 PM
JeffrySG: could be a nice idea, but I prefer the previous one more. 1 reference model, no render required. It would be interesting to ssee how other people solve certain problems for the same object. Oh yes, nice work :).

Thanks. Me too. I think I prefer that option that you like. I'm not even saying to try any of these specifically, but just maybe it's time mix things up for a few weeks. We can always go back to the original way after trying something different.

Gumby22don
12-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Thought I'd spend an hour on this, although it turned into 2 fairly quickly.

I've been using LW for years, and I love playing with new tools, but I've mainly used it as a renderer, for architectural vis from sketchup models, and with Vue trees.

This was a quick attempt to play with a simple model using subpatches. I also had a play with SSS as I'm starting to set up some simple skin for Poser models for another project (web comic)

I learnt that checking your texture map seam orientation is a good idea :)

Don
have a great day

XswampyX
12-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Nice snake Don, any chance you can post the wires for me?

Ref the speed challenges...

I like the Idea of an actual item, not just a theme.
I think getting rid of the renders would be a mistake. It was the contrast between the wires and the renders that drew me into these competitions. The simple wires and then the great renders... make you think yeah, I could do that.

What about only having renders on the first competition of the month?

Just my 2p worth.

Iain
12-14-2010, 03:02 AM
Maybe we should just keep them as they are but with 2 week deadlines as standard.

I do like the render element. A lot of the content (lost!) in these threads is better than most of the gallery entries.
[Controversial :hey:]

Kuzey
12-14-2010, 05:21 AM
Are you guys ready toooooooooooooo rumble!!!!!

Haha...I always wanted to say that :D

Here's mine...a gecko netsuke, 80 minutes modelling, but I still don't know how it turned out as it did...I'm still shocked :eek:

I captured the whole process and the video should be uploaded soon.

ps.....great work everyone and it's good to see people taking part!!!

Kuzey

Gumby22don
12-14-2010, 05:59 AM
oops - should have read the first post properly.

Here's my wireframes - is modeller print-screen the best way to do these quickly?

@Kuzey - I love those geckos, very sweet. I really look forward to the video.

Don
have a great day

Iain
12-14-2010, 06:30 AM
Ah Kuzey that's brilliant.

Bit hard to see what's what at first in the wireframe though. Bring on the render!!

Iain
12-14-2010, 06:32 AM
Here's my wireframes - is modeller print-screen the best way to do these quickly?

Yep that's the quickest way. There's been many a discussion on tarting them up with Art's Polygon coloring plug in but there's no real need for anything like that unless you have a bit more time.

ArtGoblin
12-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Yeah... clean and sweet looking rendered wireframes need a little more time and are not neccisary.... buuuuut, I'd really recommend taking a look at doing them. It takes a little reasearch and testing to get it working the way you like, but after you figure it out, the setup only takes about a minute or two, but then off course it's object and lighting related how much extra time the wireframe render will take. I recommend giving it a test becouse
1# these wireframe renders are fun to do
2# give much more satisfactory and proffesional look to your wireframes
3# makes it easier to see and appriciate the pure geometric beauty of your work :)

Kuzey
12-14-2010, 07:06 AM
@Kuzey - I love those geckos, very sweet. I really look forward to the video.

Don
have a great day

Ah Kuzey that's brilliant.

Bit hard to see what's what at first in the wireframe though. Bring on the render!!

Thanks guys,

In my first attempt, I tried extruding the full gecko, legs and all...from a subdivided cube (sphere)....I gave up in 10 minutes :D

This time around, I just extruded the main body and the feet, then bridged those together to get the legs...it makes sense in the video...I think....I hope :D

Kuzey

JeffrySG
12-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Are you guys ready toooooooooooooo rumble!!!!!

Haha...I always wanted to say that :D

Here's mine...a gecko netsuke, 80 minutes modelling, but I still don't know how it turned out as it did...I'm still shocked :eek:

I captured the whole process and the video should be uploaded soon.

ps.....great work everyone and it's good to see people taking part!!!

Kuzey

So cool looking! :thumbsup:

Kuzey
12-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks Jeffry :thumbsup:

The video (http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2010/12/gecko-netsuke-vimeo.html) is now online....watch and learn how not to do things....hehe.

Kuzey

COBRASoft
12-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks Kuzey!

About the challenges, everybody is free to make a render, this has always been like this. It are the wires that are required, no?

2 weeks per challenge is fine by me :).

JeffrySG
12-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks Kuzey!

About the challenges, everybody is free to make a render, this has always been like this. It are the wires that are required, no?

2 weeks per challenge is fine by me :).

Actually the 'rules' do state that you need a render as well. But there is nothing stopping anybody from doing it any way they want. It's not like there is a prize or anything. But it might stop someone from winning that week, though.

COBRASoft
12-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Jeffrey: I misread, I thought it had to be a render of the wires. Oh well, I'm wondering what the next challenge will be, hopefully something I'm capable of :).

Kuzey
12-15-2010, 04:40 AM
Full renders are always cool and add that something extra, but sometimes you just run out of time :D

Kuzey

Nangleator
12-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Okay, I've got responsibility for #106. Are we starting it today, or is 105 going for another week?

I'll make it "render optional."

In addition, while it won't be the same object for each participant, you'll have to draw from a limited choice of objects, yet have quite a bit of creative freedom.

XswampyX
12-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Knocked out some models, not very Netsuke like. :) This was alot harder than I thought!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/NetsukeWired.jpg

Just not enough time to finish them.

Shall we end this one today, or has someone got a model in the oven?

Some great entries again.

Kuzey
12-15-2010, 01:57 PM
Knocked out some models, not very Netsuke like. :) This was alot harder than I thought!

Just not enough time to finish them.

Shall we end this one today, or has someone got a model in the oven?

Some great entries again.

I thought it was being extended by an extra week?

Nice rabbit :hey:

Kuzey

probiner
12-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Kuzey that looks very neat.

My submission is a Koi Fish. Sloppy modeling as usual :S But this was fun to get to a technique to put those scales in place.
I went overboard the 90 minutes by large.
I still need to pose it more for Netsuke, maybe put a rocky base for it to stand.

Need help to make it look like "it's actually there", like you archviz craftsman do =)
I use Sibl normally, but those texture you guys use they just make things sit nice.

I still have one hour :D

Cheer

Kuzey
12-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Excellent fish Probiner :thumbsup:

So how much time did those scales take??

I was thinking of doing an OWL like this one (http://www.internetsuke.com/insarchive/key/owl?g2_itemId=28217) but the feathers scared me off...haha.

Kuzey

Kuzey
12-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Oh yes...here's one test render, I've been playing with a lot more...those will be blogged later...hehe

Kuzey

COBRASoft
12-15-2010, 02:28 PM
probiner: scales look impressive, how did you do them?

Kuzey: gritt node?

Kuzey
12-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Kuzey: gritt node?

Yes indeed.....I just can't stay away from it...haha

Kuzey

XswampyX
12-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks, the rabbit's more alice in wonderland than mean/strange netsuke.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/FurryRabbit2.jpg

:D

COBRASoft
12-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Is that with FFX or SAS?

XswampyX
12-15-2010, 03:37 PM
ffx

COBRASoft
12-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Nice result for FFX, didn't know it had become so good. I mean, no visible banding, nice shading, ... Or you're very good with FFX and I suck :).

XswampyX
12-15-2010, 03:43 PM
default settings, I just dropped scale to 50% Edit (oh and LW10 ;-) )

Waves of light
12-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Wow, Kuzey... very embryonic. XswampyX - nice FFX

probiner
12-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys, the scales where what actually took me more time, by the time i did them i was like: What? "I still have to do the head?"
They were done like a UV Map. You have a proxy geometry that get flatten and the maps the info in the 3D volume.

The scales where a square Array with Metalking, parented to a mesh that would go from a flat square, to the fish's body shape. Then i saved a transObject and remove the scales that were poping =P Thats why the scales are frozen at low res and the rest is Subdivision surfaces.

Still Struggling with an Ivory type surface, but will post somthing soon.

@XswampyX. that bunny with fur scares me. Expecting to se Donny Darko one comming out of there.

Kuzey. I think you abuse of Grit node there, destroys a bit your image imho. But you gave me an idea, an now im tying that node instead of Curvatures for my heavy Ram consuming fish. Thanks

Cheers

Kuzey
12-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Wow, Kuzey... very embryonic. XswampyX - nice FFX

Thanks Waves :thumbsup:

Kuzey. I think you abuse of Grit node there, destroys a bit your image imho. But you gave me an idea, an now im tying that node instead of Curvatures for my heavy Ram consuming fish. Thanks

Cheers

Haha...that was my first half descent result, I have another 10 or so different surfaces and most of them are dark grey/black. I'm not sure if they fit the model, but I'm liking them very much...interesting stuff :hey:

The sad thing is....each render takes about an hour.

Kuzey

Kuzey
12-15-2010, 04:35 PM
Here's a teaser of my current surface. All I need to do now is to make a white version(s) and maybe some creams as well...hehe.

Kuzey

probiner
12-15-2010, 05:04 PM
That looks better. Mossy Cobble Stone =)
One hour!!!?? Well Curvatures also gives me lots of crashes so i know all about preety and hard =P

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Lightwave/fish_14.png
Right now it's looking like this. Will try to apply a bump to the scales.
KOI OF DOOM
lol

Cheers

Nangleator
12-15-2010, 05:19 PM
This stuff is so awesome!

I guess I'll put off #106 for a week.

COBRASoft
12-15-2010, 05:21 PM
coming along nicely probiner!

FFX in LWIO... Thought so, it will be an awesome release :).

Iain
12-16-2010, 01:20 AM
Wow-here come all the cool entries!
What was I talking about? :D

Kuzey
12-16-2010, 04:57 AM
One hour!!!?? Well Curvatures also gives me lots of crashes so i know all about preety and hard =P

KOI OF DOOM
lol

Cheers

Looking cool so far :thumbsup:

You know me, once I go into experimental mode, I might end up with a dozen or so surfaces...I just can't help myself :hey:

Here's the render...still using grit node....would you believe :hey:

Kuzey

Iain
12-16-2010, 04:59 AM
That's beautiful Kuzey.
Well worth the wait :thumbsup:

COBRASoft
12-16-2010, 05:01 AM
I believe Kuzey is addicted to Gritt :D. Nice render man!

Kuzey
12-16-2010, 05:08 AM
Thanks guys!

Yeah....grit is just magical. Of course, it helps if you misuse it....you just never know how it'll turn out if you plug this into that...haha

Kuzey

Waves of light
12-16-2010, 06:00 AM
Kuzey,

Please show me your grit nodel setup.

Ricky.

Kuzey
12-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Kuzey,

Please show me your grit nodel setup.

Ricky.

I'll do better than that, since it's the holiday season, I'll upload the scene this weekend....the node tree needs a bit of a clean up.

The only thing to decide now.....which surface should I include..hehe

Just kidding...I think I'll include the nice black one :D

Kuzey

Waves of light
12-16-2010, 07:04 AM
Well, thank you so much. Merry Christmas.

ArtGoblin
12-16-2010, 09:57 AM
really smart modelling and killer shading Kuzey !!

Kuzey
12-17-2010, 05:08 AM
Thanks guys,

Here's a couple more surface tests.....see the rest on my blog :hey:

Kuzey

Waves of light
12-17-2010, 06:09 AM
Both excellent renders... I prefer the first one. Going to have a look at your blog for the others.

Ricky.

JeffrySG
12-17-2010, 06:54 AM

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s202/animatics/Lightwave/fish_14.png
KOI OF DOOM
lol

Cheers

super cool Koi!

JeffrySG
12-17-2010, 06:55 AM
Looking cool so far :thumbsup:

You know me, once I go into experimental mode, I might end up with a dozen or so surfaces...I just can't help myself :hey:

Here's the render...still using grit node....would you believe :hey:

Kuzey

really like that texturing!

XswampyX
12-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Diggin' the models so far guys. :thumbsup:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/BambooSnail2.jpg

Edit for Image size.

Kuzey
12-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Nice one XswampyX!

Kuzey

XswampyX
12-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks Kuzey. :) I too would be interested in seeing some of your Grid node textures later.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/th_BambooSnailWired.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/?action=view&current=BambooSnailWired.jpg)

probiner
12-19-2010, 01:33 AM
indeed nice one XswampyX
What are you using for texturing?

Cheers

XswampyX
12-19-2010, 04:05 AM
Thanks, it came out better than I expected.

Using Grit note on the snail. :cool:

And larger version of this on the bamboo .... It's a sample of some Ivory wallpaper from the internet with brown airbrushed over it.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/th_SnailAndShellBent.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/?action=view&current=SnailAndShellBent.jpg)

DOF blur can hide a lot of sins. :-)

Kuzey
12-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Ok... the model is up, follow the link to the link :hey:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115195

Kuzey

XswampyX
12-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the model, looks great. The texture's a bit... erm... complicated? Might take a few weeks/years to get to grips with it.

Cheers!

Kuzey
12-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the model, looks great. The texture's a bit... erm... complicated? Might take a few weeks/years to get to grips with it.

Cheers!

Haha...well I must say, I don't actually know what I'm doing...it's really funny when I think about it :D

Kuzey

BlueApple
12-21-2010, 06:19 AM
Haven't done one of these in a while; apologies for the surfacing and rendering. There is some chin detail I may cleanup, but need to get back to work right now. Modeled in 45 minutes.

Kuzey
12-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Nice indeed :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Nangleator
12-22-2010, 07:59 AM
I posted the next challenge here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1092449#post1092449), since I may be busy later today. Consider it active upon the closing of this challenge!

XswampyX
12-22-2010, 05:21 PM
Great entries!

Iain - (Sextupus) - So simple, yet so perfect... You nearly killed off the competition with that entry. really nice.

Jeffry - (Yin yang) - Smart modeling. Getting the two pieces to mesh together, while still looking like a yin yang was beyond my abilities. Any tips?

Gummby22don - (Ssssnake) - Simple but efficient modeling. No wasted polys.

Kuzey - (Gecko) - Absolutely brilliant work.

Probiner - (Koi) - I don't even feel worthy to comment on your great fish. Thanks for the explanation of how you did the scales, I didn't understand a word of it. Sadly it was over time.

BlueApple - Very nice for 45mins, the wires look great and yours is the only netsuke being used.

So the winner is ..... Kuzey

Well done all!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Netsuke0010.gif

probiner
12-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Congrats Kuzey you got this one really well.
Nice review XswampX.

Probiner - (Koi) - I don't even feel worthy to comment on your great fish. Thanks for the explanation of how you did the scales, I didn't understand a word of it. Sadly it was over time.
[/IMG]
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/mic.mov
In my case i used a morph instead of ClothFX calculations. I still have to use a Dinamic modifier for the Metalink to work, so i went with SoftFX with everything turned to 0%.

Cheers

Kuzey
12-23-2010, 05:44 AM
It was a slow start, but ended with a great many cool models...nice work one and all :thumbsup:

Kuzey