PDA

View Full Version : render & work at the same time in layout

3dworks
09-25-2003, 10:25 AM
it would be great to be able to have the LW render engine rendering in one window and still being able to work in layout! make it multitasking please :-)

Mylenium
09-25-2003, 12:41 PM
Learn how to use ScreamerNet and find yourself some LScripts to facilitate the task and you can do it already.

Mylenium

3dworks
09-30-2003, 01:28 AM
...yeah thanks, i know of course (lightwaving for some years now), but do you have viper and previews, then?? ...and did you ever try to set up screamernet on a mac? but that's for another feature request... :D

Exper
09-30-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Mylenium
Learn how to use ScreamerNet and find yourself some LScripts to facilitate the task and you can do it already.You're right but this is a trick and not a proper solution!

I remeber, per example, Real3D on the old and magical Amiga: Rendering and working at the same time (only to mention an ancient one!).

Bye.

Mylenium
09-30-2003, 03:05 AM
Well, from a programming point of view it should not be to difficult (my knowledge is very limited, though) - after all the renderer only needs to be started as a separate process with its own mem segment - but you know how slowly development of LW in general goes on. Also there might be a problem with interactivity since multiple processes would acces scene data that can change any minute. This would require kind of autosaving a copy of your objects/ scene that cannot be modified and are exlusively used by the renderer (with enough RAM, this could all be done without writing any files to disk).

Mylenium

Exper
09-30-2003, 04:12 AM
Yes, this is the same way I'd use to resolve the problem!

A new Thread which use a separate scene-snapshot in memory (and/or disk).

This should be quite simple to develope IMHO!

Bye.

EyesClosed
09-30-2003, 01:42 PM
LightWave needs batch rendering, like Maya.

Mylenium
09-30-2003, 11:12 PM
Ahem, it has !? Especially comparing LW to Maya is a very daring thing. Ever noticed what Maya exactly does if you batch render? It's no more than a few MEL scripts that start the external renderer. I would not call that deep integration. I suppose if there were special commands for rendering (like the MEL ones that update the render preview window [they do not show the actual render buffers but read chunks from disc/ RAM]), we would have some kind of implementation already.

Mylenium