PDA

View Full Version : Running OSX & Windows

Portnoy
12-07-2010, 07:02 PM
I figured I'd throw this question out there maybe someone can provide some insight. I'm looking into setting up my iMac to run both OSX & Windows 7 using boot camp. I was reading through the installation guide and saw this.

If you’re installing Windows XP and your Windows partition can be 32 GB or smaller, you can choose between two formats for that partition. You’ll select the format in a later step, but you must decide on a format now so you can choose an appropriate size. Here are the two formats:

• NTFS - Provides better reliability and security, but you will not be able to save files to the Windows volume from Mac OS X. This partition can be any size.

• FAT - Provides better compatibility, allowing you to read and write files on the Windows volume from Mac OS X. This partition must be 32 GB or smaller.

If you’re installing Windows Vista or Windows 7, the Windows partition must use the NTFS format.

Since I'm installing Windows 7 I guess I have no choice which format, my question was if anyone else running 7 how are they able to move files back and forth or are they just not able.

Thanks
Don

JeffrySG
12-07-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm not running W7 but I do have my Windows drive set up as a NTFS. I can copy the windows files to the mac when I'm in OSX - as the Windows partition just shows up like a normal HD on the desktop but I can't write to the drive in OSX. When I needed to copy files to use in Windows I just used to use an USB stick. It's not the easiest but I didn't need to copy a lot of files and it worked for me. I'm would imagine there are software solutions that would let you read and open Mac files when booted in Windows.

Portnoy
12-07-2010, 07:23 PM
@Jeffery, thanks good to know. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Originally setup using VMware but my render times in windows was attrocious. Someone said in another post it was because I wasn't running windows native and running it through VMware which slowed it. We'll see once installed. :)

JeffrySG
12-08-2010, 07:01 AM
I would think it would be much faster in bootcamp. I didn't run LW in windows but I had to run CAD software and it ran great in Windows. I wasn't a big fan of having to reboot to go back and forth all the time thought. That was the biggest drawback. But if you need to stay in one OS for an extended period and then switch occasionally I think it's a great solution!

Kuzey
12-08-2010, 07:13 AM
If you want to transfer files from the Mac OSX partition while running Windows...you can try HFSExplorer (http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/hfsx.html).

I'm sure there are others out there as well.

Kuzey

Skonk
12-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Bootcamp adds read support to Windows for the mac formatted drives and OSX has read support by default for NTFS.

So you can atleast open and/or copy files from the drives while in either OS without the need for any third party software.

OSX is actually able to write to NTFS drives too but it's dissabled by default; and to enabling it has to be done on a per-drive basis.

Kuzey
12-08-2010, 07:32 AM
I presume that's the case with OSX 10.6.+

I'm still using 10.5.8 and you can't access files without third party software, sounds great though....I should update one day :)

Kuzey

Skonk
12-08-2010, 07:40 AM
I presume that's the case with OSX 10.6.+

I'm still using 10.5.8 and you can't access files without third party software, sounds great though....I should update one day :)

Kuzey

Yeh sorry thats right; I am running the latest OS.

Kuzey
12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Haha...no problem...it's good to know these things have been improved in the newest OS :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Portnoy
12-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Finished setting it up last night and still playing with it. Not sure though but my OS X drive shows up in windows, looks like with a lot more folders but still able to get to my files so not sure what the bootcamp guide was talking about. Hadn't tried it on the OSX side though.

All the comments have been most interesting, hadn't tried a render in Windows LW yet to see of any speed increase. Try that tonight. One weird thing though I opened the mutant creature scene, turned VPR on in one of the smaller windows to see how fast it would resolve. Let it render a bit, walked away from my computer and when I got back and woke my screen up the video of my monitor was all weirded out. Restarted my system and it was okay again so maybe it was just a video glitch.

Sarford
12-08-2010, 09:07 AM
I run XSI on my mac using Parallels and it works great. I also have VMware but find it bogus for 3D software. One advantage over bootcamp is that I can run Windows and Mac software both at the same time. Another one is that with parallels the windows partition scales with use and is not set in stone like bootcamp.

Portnoy
12-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Quote from Sarford:
I run XSI on my mac using Parallels and it works great. I also have VMware but find it bogus for 3D software. One advantage over bootcamp is that I can run Windows and Mac software both at the same time. Another one is that with parallels the windows partition scales with use and is not set in stone like bootcamp.

Yeah, that was one of the things I really liked about VMware I could open windows up in say a new space and just slide back & forth between the two. The scalable partitions sounds cool though.

Hieron
12-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Bootcamp here.. haven't experienced much issues with Win7.

Then again, I hardly, if ever, use OSX.. Just Win7 on the best looking and light laptop I could find :) Really like the MacBook Air. But OSX, nah..

*runs away for the purists*

Portnoy
12-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Kinda an off question but does anyone know what folder the license key goes in in 9.6.1 on Windows side. I keep getting a license key not found error when I try and run on Windows. Thanks!

MacDoggie
12-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Hey Don!

You are going to really like windows 7! I am using it right now to render huge scenes in the 64 bit windows builds of Modo. I now have homebrewed wintelbox (who'd thought). I considered boot Camp but what the hell, I decide to just get a dedicated rendering box and it has since paid for it's self. The cool thing is if you have F-Prime then you can use F-Prime with the 64 bit build of LW in windows. At the moment F-Prime is crippled on the Mac. When it comes to rendering the 64 bit builds are the way to go... In any application.

Cheers

Skonk
12-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Kinda an off question but does anyone know what folder the license key goes in in 9.6.1 on Windows side. I keep getting a license key not found error when I try and run on Windows. Thanks!

On windows 7, the program files directory is protected; so when some apps try to write files into it, it creates them elsewhere in a virtual program files location.

"C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Progr am Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9\Programs"

Thats where the license.key has to be located on my system for it to work (note: the AppData folder may be hidden).

Portnoy
12-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Quote from MacDoggie:
Hey Don!

You are going to really like windows 7! I am using it right now to render huge scenes in the 64 bit windows builds of Modo. I now have homebrewed wintelbox (who'd thought). I considered boot Camp but what the hell, I decide to just get a dedicated rendering box and it has since paid for it's self. The cool thing is if you have F-Prime then you can use F-Prime with the 64 bit build of LW in windows. At the moment F-Prime is crippled on the Mac. When it comes to rendering the 64 bit builds are the way to go... In any application.

Cheers

I think I'll always be a mac person but I do admit I'm liking the new Windows now. They've seemed to embrace the Mac GUI way. Although still not a fan of all the driver issues and such you seem to have to deal on the Windows side. Still I'm getting to used to the interface. And using the 64bit Windows for rendering was really the main reason I wanted to run Windows. I want to start doing more animations.

@Skonk, thanks for the info was finally able to get my 9.6.1 running on Windows. Now all I need to do is keep up with the builds they keep releasing.

kopperdrake
12-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Here we just use net drives to store all live data on, they have no problems for either platform (osX 10.6 WinXP64Pro and Win 7) and the computers stay data free except apps - feels tidy.

Dunk

MacDoggie
12-27-2010, 07:53 AM
I think I'll always be a mac person but I do admit I'm liking the new Windows now. They've seemed to embrace the Mac GUI way. Although still not a fan of all the driver issues and such you seem to have to deal on the Windows side. Still I'm getting to used to the interface. And using the 64bit Windows for rendering was really the main reason I wanted to run Windows. I want to start doing more animations.

Pretty much the same here. But it is nice to see windows developing the way an efficient operating system should. Each new release from Microsoft gets more and more Mac-like and that's a good thing. Yeah the drivers issue has always been a pain but you get such a wide selection to choose from right??? There are ways to get around some of the limitations in video cards on the Mac. We will most likely be resorting to that later after the New Year which will add another three years to the viability of our 2008 Mac Pros which for us have absolutely phenomenal...Excellent 3D machines:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Our wintel box has also been great. We keep it off the network, and it is dedicated for one purpose only.. 3D and or a rendering supplement. It is earning it's keep!