PDA

View Full Version : Free plugin: Chain Move v1.0

Anti-Distinctly
12-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Hi y'all,
I've created a plugin to assist with animating chains (bike chains, tank treads, that sort of thing) and there's also a tutorial video:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=90584&stc=1&d=1291728729

Eursiko studios free plugins (http://www.euriskostudios.co.uk/es/plugin_pages/free_plugins.php)

Chain move v1.0 direct download (http://www.euriskostudios.co.uk/es/plugin_pages/plugin_downloads/chainMove_v1.0.zip)

Tutorial video (http://www.euriskostudios.co.uk/es/chain_move_demo.php) (remember to watch in HD)

Enjoy!

OnlineRender
12-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Legend , mind if I blog it on 3DJ?

Tobian
12-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Very nice plugin, I shall have to have a play with it! :)

Anti-Distinctly
12-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Legend , mind if I blog it on 3DJ?

Not at all :)

nickdigital
12-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Very impressive plug-in. Any chance of a 64 bit version?

BigHache
12-07-2010, 12:13 PM
That's pretty keen! I'd be interested in 64-bit as well.

Anti-Distinctly
12-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I can hopefully accommodate you...I'll let you know :)

Fadlabi
12-07-2010, 12:40 PM
That's nice, interested in 64-bit as well.

kosmodave
12-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Wow, very useful plugin, many thanks. :)

Dave

monovich
12-07-2010, 12:54 PM
looks killer. thanks for sharing.
+1 on 64bit (not to seem ungrateful, but I don't use 32bit almost ever anymore)

JeffrySG
12-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Very cool! Cheers! :D

Anti-Distinctly
12-07-2010, 01:22 PM
64 bit version compiled and uploaded.
Let me know how it goes as I can't actually test the 64bit version here :)

OnlineRender
12-07-2010, 01:25 PM
i can't actually test the 64bit version here :)

lol .

Lewis
12-07-2010, 02:05 PM
What an interesting Idea for a plugin. Thanks for share.

nickdigital
12-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Thx! While we're at it any chance of updating FootprinterX? :D

zapper1998
12-07-2010, 02:08 PM
wow so cool, I will be trying this out...
thank you

Anti-Distinctly
12-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Thx! While we're at it any chance of updating FootprinterX? :D

heh...I didn't think anyone used it :)
I'll see what I can do.

adk
12-07-2010, 03:41 PM
That is a wickedly great plugin Anti-Distinctly.
Cheers a whole heap :thumbsup:

Anti-Distinctly
12-07-2010, 04:56 PM
FootprinterX 64 bit is up - same place as usual.
free plugins (http://www.euriskostudios.co.uk/es/plugin_pages/free_plugins.php)

If it explodes then please let me know.

And thanks for the kind comments :)

nickdigital
12-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Great. Thanks for your generosity. :thumbsup:

serge
12-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Very nice plugin. Thanks!

Anti-Distinctly
12-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Well, how nice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSCevfDX-6k

You may need to re-download to get this to work.

OnlineRender
12-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Well, how nice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSCevfDX-6k

You may need to re-download to get this to work.

maYBE NOT ALLOW to show that here with us mortals .

Anti-Distinctly
12-08-2010, 10:32 AM
maYBE NOT ALLOW to show that here with us mortals .

Oops. 'twas accidental :S
It's days from release, but if an official NT person wants it taken down I shall oblige.

monovich
12-08-2010, 10:51 AM
love the dynamics example! is that LW13 you are showing? looks like a ringer!

stevecullum
12-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the plugins!

Will definitely have to try the chain and piston plugin together. :)

BigHache
12-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Thank you! Will def give the 64 bit a go.

lardbros
12-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Wow Luke... you've been busy!!! :D Great plugin yet again... very impressive stuff!

You've been very quiet on the LW front for a while, glad to see your talents are still in the community!

(Hey Steve... been craaazy this week, my laptop went in for another repair :( But it needs yet another LCD, this one was put in with a scratch on it! On the inside of the LCD screen :( )

Netvudu
12-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Just wanted to chime in to thanks Luke for this. I will try to give it a shot as soon as I find some spare time.

GraphXs
12-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Wow! Nice plug-in! Thanks for sharing!

Cageman
12-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Wow... great plugin!

Luke, this plug should have been released as a $10 or €10. That isn't much, but at least everyone who needs such a plug would buy it. :) It is most generous of you to give this for free! :thumbsup:

On that note though, a Donate button on your free plugins site would come in handy! ;)

Cageman
12-08-2010, 08:38 PM
heh...I didn't think anyone used it :)
I'll see what I can do.

Haha... you should know that I've made use of it alot. :) But that is why I asked you to make it in the first place. ;)

Thanks for the 64-bit version of the plug btw!

Cheers!

erikals
12-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Sweet! :]

thank you! http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/smile.gif

daforum
12-09-2010, 02:35 AM
So cool. Thank you for a great plugin. :)
Makes the whole process of treads/ links more straightforward and easier to set up.

Can you do a video tutorial for Footprinter X?

JohnMarchant
12-09-2010, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the 64 bit version Mate, very generous of you indeed

Anti-Distinctly
12-09-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks everyone :)

Wow... great plugin!

Luke, this plug should have been released as a $10 or €10. That isn't much, but at least everyone who needs such a plug would buy it. :) It is most generous of you to give this for free! :thumbsup:

I was considering doing that as work is non-existent right now. One of the reasons I didn't is because I didn't think it worked with dynamics, but there must havre been something awry in my test scene, as it does...which is why I made that second video - I was quite surprised

On that note though, a Donate button on your free plugins site would come in handy! ;)

Not a bad idea. It would be quite useful atm :)

Anti-Distinctly
12-09-2010, 05:46 AM
Can you do a video tutorial for Footprinter X?

Most likely.

erikals
12-09-2010, 06:57 AM
donate button,... good idea :]

dee
12-09-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks, nice plugin. :thumbsup:

Phil
12-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Luke let me know that FootPrinter X is also now available for Mac64.

Anti-Distinctly
12-10-2010, 02:48 AM
Luke let me know that FootPrinter X is also now available for Mac64.

It's true y'know.

As for the donate button, I'm waiting for paypal to verify my bank account then it'll be up :)

daforum
12-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Luke, I just tried to load the Mac OSX UB version of the plugin and it won't load.

I have autoscan plugins enabled and it doesn't load into the plugin list; and I tried adding the plugin seperately and it won't do it either.

gordonrobb
12-10-2010, 09:36 AM
I downloaded the plugin, and am having some issues with it.

I am doing a track for a Bulldozer. I can get the link to line up, and move correctly but I have two problems.

I cant get the link to be in the right orientation. you sorted this in the tutorial video, but kind of brushed over how.

And the number of links it says I need are about 4 times the actual number.

Any ideas?

gordonrobb
12-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Also just noticed that if I rotate the driver to take the like all the way round, it sometimes flips completely the wrong way.

Anti-Distinctly
12-10-2010, 10:36 AM
I downloaded the plugin, and am having some issues with it.

I am doing a track for a Bulldozer. I can get the link to line up, and move correctly but I have two problems.

I cant get the link to be in the right orientation. you sorted this in the tutorial video, but kind of brushed over how.

I rotated it :)
I'm thinking about putting an option in so that the user can choose the heading, pitch or bank to rotate the object.

And the number of links it says I need are about 4 times the actual number.

Any ideas?

It's calculated from the length of the path and the number of teeth and radius of the driver.

I changed something when trying to get the dynamics to work, but this has caused a few issues, one of which is the 'get driver radius' can return the wrong value. I'm looking into it, but make sure that's correct first.

Anti-Distinctly
12-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Also just noticed that if I rotate the driver to take the like all the way round, it sometimes flips completely the wrong way.

Driver or the link?

It's a tricky thing to get it to work in every orientation (due to boring maths stuff that I can't recall right now :)), but for now try to set up your links the same as in my video - so that you have to rotate them by the same amount shown.

Anti-Distinctly
12-10-2010, 10:39 AM
Luke, I just tried to load the Mac OSX UB version of the plugin and it won't load.

I have autoscan plugins enabled and it doesn't load into the plugin list; and I tried adding the plugin seperately and it won't do it either.

I'll take a look at it soon with my mac guy :)

Phil
12-10-2010, 11:01 AM
The 64-bit part of the bundle is for PowerPC, not x86-64.

gordonrobb
12-10-2010, 11:20 AM
I tried turning the tread with and without the plugin active, but it just overrides the rotation.

The radius of the drive looks about right.

The images show before and after a little rotation, you can see the tread has flipped up.

Is the number of treads thing becuase its not a bike chain?

Anti-Distinctly
12-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I tried turning the tread with and without the plugin active, but it just overrides the rotation.

The radius of the drive looks about right.

The images show before and after a little rotation, you can see the tread has flipped up.

Is the number of treads thing becuase its not a bike chain?

I think it's just a problem of orientation in modeller.
have your link object aligned along z in modeller - that is, as if z is the direction of travel. You should have to rotate it by 90 degrees along its heading in layout, and the plugin will modify the pitch channel.

This is just because I really made it for a single scene and it grew. I'll figure out a better way of dealing with this soon I hope :)

gordonrobb
12-10-2010, 12:02 PM
It is oriented in Modeler with Z being the direction of travel. I had the whole modelled with Z as the direction of travel.

Anti-Distinctly
12-10-2010, 12:07 PM
It is oriented in Modeler with Z being the direction of travel. I had the whole modelled with Z as the direction of travel.

I've got to take off for now, but if you can package and send the scene I'll take a look at it to see if anything odd is going on.
Go to www.euriskostudios.com and you'll find an email address there. Either info or luke will get to me :)

Edit: For now, it still seems as though your link alignment is not as it should be. Maybe it's to do with the way I've modelled all my stuff. My paths are modelled on the XY plane (i.e. pointing along X) and the links are modelled pointing along Z.
Stupid I know. I'll think of a way to deal with it, but still send me your scene just in case.

ali kassem
12-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Hi thanks (Anti-Distinctly) alot for the plugin it is realy handy.
About the rotation (gordonrobb) you can simply rotate the pivot in layout and it will work, I have just tried it now.

Cheers and thanks again
Ali

gordonrobb
12-10-2010, 12:19 PM
AD, there you go.

ali, I'll give it a try.

Cageman
12-10-2010, 03:59 PM
gordonrobb: I get ALOT of weirdness with your setup. I actually can't get it to work. I've even saved out each layer as a separate object as well as testing both x64 and x32. I've also aligned the parts (the cog and the 2 point poly) in x,y plane and removed the pivotpoint offset you had made in modeler, and it still doesn't work no matter what I do. :)

Hopefully Luke will take a look at your content and figure out what is going on.

gordonrobb
12-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Sorry to hear thay but glad it wasn't just me :)

Anti-Distinctly
12-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Sorry to hear thay but glad it wasn't just me :)

I've sorted the scene out, but it wasn't intuitive to do.
The problem comes from the fact that it was originally designed to do a single job on a single model, so if the wheels, path and links aren't aligned the same way as I originally did them, it goes all weird.

First off the path was about four sets of points atop one another - that explains why it was saying that you needed so many links. Basically, it thought the path was multiple times longer than you wanted it.
I had to re create the path too. I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it, but currently the path is calculated point by point, therefore all points on the path have to be in order (in modeller select them then hit i, then 'select all' - you can then see the index numbers for the points). the easiest way to rebuild your curve was to merge points, kill the poly, create a closed curve from those points, then freeze it. I'm not too satisfied with this though.
Also, the order of the points meant that the link was travelling in the wrong direction when the driver item was rotated, so I had to reverse that in layout by 180 degrees.
Finally, I had to then rotate the path and driver cog so that it was on the XY plane.

Did all that and it worked fine, so I cloned the link and it worked. Scene attached.
I'll take a look at this stuff soon :)

Cageman
12-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I've sorted the scene out, but it wasn't intuitive to do.
The problem comes from the fact that it was originally designed to do a single job on a single model, so if the wheels, path and links aren't aligned the same way as I originally did them, it goes all weird.

First off the path was about four sets of points atop one another - that explains why it was saying that you needed so many links. Basically, it thought the path was multiple times longer than you wanted it.
I had to re create the path too. I'm not sure if there's a better way to do it, but currently the path is calculated point by point, therefore all points on the path have to be in order (in modeller select them then hit i, then 'select all' - you can then see the index numbers for the points). the easiest way to rebuild your curve was to merge points, kill the poly, create a closed curve from those points, then freeze it. I'm not too satisfied with this though.
Also, the order of the points meant that the link was travelling in the wrong direction when the driver item was rotated, so I had to reverse that in layout by 180 degrees.
Finally, I had to then rotate the path and driver cog so that it was on the XY plane.

Did all that and it worked fine, so I cloned the link and it worked. Scene attached.
I'll take a look at this stuff soon :)

Ahhh... That is why the link moved so damn strange when I kind of got it working... multiple points in the polychain. *lol* Oh and I did see the reversed motion as well, but it was so wonky... sometimes the link object ended up at -1.#IND when pressing Get driver radius (yeah... that was displayed in Driver radius). :D

gordonrobb
12-11-2010, 02:57 AM
OK, much weirdness.

I loaded your updated scene, and can only see the drive wheel. Scene editor says the links are there but cant see them. This is the same in LW 64. In LW10 64 I can see them, but they don't move with the wheel, until you click on them and see they have moved.

Also, the method you suggested does not create a poly chain, it creates a polygon, which has confused me more. should it be a chain of two point polys, or one polygone.

If I follow your instructions from the start, it works, but does not update the view unless I click on the link/tread's plugin options.

Anti-Distinctly
12-11-2010, 03:59 AM
Also, the method you suggested does not create a poly chain, it creates a polygon, which has confused me more. should it be a chain of two point polys, or one polygone.

The path is read via the points only. You don't actually have to have a poly chain at all, unless you're doing the dynamics stuff which I think requires it, but as long as you have points in order that's all it needs.
I'd much prefer to do something like CurveConstraint, but I'm unsure how to do it at the moment. I'll look into this though as farting around will all these points is a pain.

If I follow your instructions from the start, it works, but does not update the view unless I click on the link/tread's plugin options.

Weird. The scene loads fine here. Sometimes I have noticed that the position isn't updated until you scrub the timeline. but that's all. Once I've got these other issues sorted out we'll see if it's still occurring.

gordonrobb
12-11-2010, 04:56 AM
Thanks AD, I'll do some testing with some more basic shapes.

gordonrobb
12-11-2010, 05:05 AM
Tied it with a simple box (link) and a simple disc (path) and a null (drive). It all seems to do what it's supposed to but does not update real time, which makes it really difficult to use either to set up, or I imagine to animate in a scene.

I'll try in other versions of LW.

gordonrobb
12-11-2010, 05:11 AM
Its the same with LW9.6 32 and 64 and LW10 64.

Can anyone say here if they get it to update dynamically?

Cageman
12-11-2010, 06:39 AM
The fixed scenefile that Luke uploaded works fine here.

gordonrobb
12-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Hmm curious. What version of lightwave?

Cageman
12-11-2010, 07:47 AM
LW10 x64

Oh... and LW9.6 x32 doesn't seem to open it properly. Hmm...

Anti-Distinctly
12-11-2010, 08:33 AM
LW10 x64

Oh... and LW9.6 x32 doesn't seem to open it properly. Hmm...

What happens / doesn't happen?

Cageman
12-11-2010, 08:51 AM
What happens / doesn't happen?

I've attached screenshots. In both screenshots I've selected the links in Scene Editor. LW10 x64 works without any issues.

Anti-Distinctly
12-11-2010, 09:07 AM
I've attached screenshots. In both screenshots I've selected the links in Scene Editor. LW10 x64 works without any issues.

Same thing is happening here. Looking into it...

gordonrobb
12-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Ghats what I get in both 9.6 too. In LW 10 I can see the links but they don't move in realtime. When I was setting it up originally I could see links moving. Dunno. Will mess more later perhaps.

Anti-Distinctly
12-11-2010, 10:57 AM
It's a LW9.6 bug by the looks of it.
Upon first load the path's mesh points always report that they're at <0,0,0>. Once the scene is loaded and the exact same code is executed again, the correct point locations are reported back and everything works as it should.
LW10 seems ok, as does 9.6.1. (all 32-bit tests)

gordonrobb
12-11-2010, 12:44 PM
I haven't tried it on 10 32 bit, but I'll install it and try it.

gordonrobb
12-12-2010, 03:17 AM
Tryed it with LW10 32 and can see the clones, but they dont dynamically update the view when turning the drive, unless I have VPR enabled. Also, due to the fact that the treads drive shaft only goes into every other tooth of the drive wheel, the number of treads was doubled. For the direction being wrong, I just flipped the polygon that was the path.

This is good, for creating tracks and animating, however, with the morph trick version of doing this, you use the size of the tracks in the expression when moving the vehicle, will need to do some more complicated expressions to figure out how to move the drive wheel in relation to the ground.

Small animation showing it working. :) DivX

Argh, keep forgetting you can't upload AVI files to this forum.

Much bigger MOV file attached.

Anti-Distinctly
12-12-2010, 04:00 AM
Tryed it with LW10 32 and can see the clones, but they dont dynamically update the view when turning the drive, unless I have VPR enabled. Also, due to the fact that the treads drive shaft only goes into every other tooth of the drive wheel, the number of treads was doubled. For the direction being wrong, I just flipped the polygon that was the path.

Good to hear :)

This is good, for creating tracks and animating, however, with the morph trick version of doing this, you use the size of the tracks in the expression when moving the vehicle, will need to do some more complicated expressions to figure out how to move the drive wheel in relation to the ground.

You should be able to do something similar here. Basically the displacement of the driver wheel should = forward displacement of vehicle. And the good thing is that you've got the driver radius, so 2*PI*r / (t2 - t1) is your speed :)

Small animation showing it working. :) DivX

Argh, keep forgetting you can't upload AVI files to this forum.

Much bigger MOV file attached.

daforum
12-12-2010, 02:17 PM
I'll take a look at it soon with my mac guy :)

Hi Anti-Distinctly,

Any news on the Mac version of the plugin? :)

Anti-Distinctly
12-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi Anti-Distinctly,

Any news on the Mac version of the plugin? :)

I'll update it when I've got some problems sorted out.
I've been trying all day to get the link to align to the path and so far I've had no success :(

daforum
12-14-2010, 05:48 AM
No problem, and sorry to add to them.

The plugin looks so good and it's cool that you have made it available to the community anyway that I should learn to be patient :)

Anti-Distinctly
12-14-2010, 07:14 AM
No problem, and sorry to add to them.

The plugin looks so good and it's cool that you have made it available to the community anyway that I should learn to be patient :)

It's me being dumb that's the problem so don't worry :)

Anyway, v1.1 is up with a few new options and it should now animate properly. I hope :D

gordonrobb
12-14-2010, 07:15 AM
Cool, I'll give it a try on my versions AD.

Cheers.

Anti-Distinctly
12-15-2010, 03:25 AM
Direct link as I can't edit the first page:
chainMove_v1.1 (http://www.euriskostudios.co.uk/es/plugin_pages/plugin_downloads/chainMove_v1.1.zip)

Anti-Distinctly
12-15-2010, 05:50 AM
Also, a super quick tutorial on FootprinterX. It's really just to show what it does more than a real tutorial. It ends rather suddenly too, so...sorry about that :)

FootprinterX tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWJzkyWpQgA)

Anti-Distinctly
12-16-2010, 05:27 AM
donate button,... good idea :]

Paypal button now on the site, if anyone is interested :P

erikals
12-16-2010, 05:52 AM
will do shortly :]

daforum
12-17-2010, 07:01 AM
Also, a super quick tutorial on FootprinterX. It's really just to show what it does more than a real tutorial. It ends rather suddenly too, so...sorry about that :)

FootprinterX tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWJzkyWpQgA)

Thanks Luke, for the tutorial :)

Anti-Distinctly
12-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Another build of 1.1 is up. The previous one had a bug whereby the clone offset value didn't load properly.

Anti-Distinctly
12-23-2010, 04:17 AM
v1.2 is up.

erikals
12-23-2010, 05:03 AM
you never reminded me, hehe,... :]

ok, £35 heading your way... :]

 

Cageman
12-23-2010, 05:25 AM

 

Nice! I donated to him earlier today... :)

Merry XMas Luke, and thank you for the free tools. I hope more donations will go your way. Big or small, it doesn't matter.

Cheers!

Netvudu
12-23-2010, 05:38 AM
great to hear there´s another version!...uhh, are there any changes or is "just" some bug squashing?

Anti-Distinctly
12-23-2010, 09:29 AM

yeah, it felt too weird.

You people are too kind dammit....thank you, very much.

Anti-Distinctly
12-23-2010, 09:33 AM
great to hear there´s another version!...uhh, are there any changes or is "just" some bug squashing?

New feature. You can select an 'up' item for the link. This should help if people get flipping issues. If no 'up' item is selected then the centre of all the points is used.
The way it works with each link is that each one is positioned along the curve, and to get it's orientation it 'looks at' the previous link position with it's up direction aligning towards the 'up' object's position (as much as possible).

daforum
02-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Luke, just a quick question. How do I install footprinter x?

I basically have the footprinterX.bundle folder but don't know where to put it? :stumped:

Anti-Distinctly
02-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Luke, just a quick question. How do I install footprinter x?

I basically have the footprinterX.bundle folder but don't know where to put it? :stumped:

Looks like I may have buggered up the package naming but zipped it up anyway :)
You should just be able to rename it with the .plugin extension in place of the .bundle.
I've also uploaded a renamed & recompiled one just in case.

daforum
02-09-2011, 02:27 AM
I have trashed the one I had, and downloaded the renamed/ recompiled one you uploaded instead :)

Thanks Luke :thumbsup:

Philbert
02-26-2011, 10:44 PM
I've never neded to make chains or tank treads before and it turns out just after you make this plugin I need it. How convenient. My question is can the motion be baked? I have to send the scene file to my client who will do the texturing and final renders and I don't think he will want to download / install a plugin for it to work.

Anti-Distinctly
02-27-2011, 01:44 AM
I'm not sure Phil as I've never tried tried. If the built in motion baker doesn't work I think mentalfish has a baker that does a lot more, so give that one a whirl. Let me know how it goes :)

erikals
02-27-2011, 02:24 AM
maybe try MDD or Geocache ?

Philbert
02-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Well the thing is I don't want to spend a lot of time learning and working with this plugin when I'm sure if it will work for me.

Anti-Distinctly
02-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Well the thing is I don't want to spend a lot of time learning and working with this plugin when I'm sure if it will work for me.

I'd take a look, but I'm in the middle of moving house so my Lightwave machine is in boxes. It should be fairly easy to see if the MF baker works. Here's the link to it: http://mentalfish.com/lscripts/MFMotionBaker.zip

Philbert
02-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Thank you.

Cageman
02-27-2011, 03:40 PM

MFMotionBaker is very easy to use!

1) Select the items that you want to bake using Scene Editor(your motionmodifier driven tanktreads in this case)

2) Run MFMotionbaker script

3) An interface pops up. Within the interface, select the channels you want to bake (usually Position and Rotation) and type in the framerange.

4) Hit OK

5) After baking, pick any of the items you baked and bring up Graph Editor. Here you should be able to determine wether or not MF Motionbaker worked.

6) Save out an FBX and load that FBX into another app. The items that you baked should work correctly.

:)

Philbert
02-27-2011, 04:02 PM
I set up a little test scene, basically the same as the tutorial but less detailed. I selected the chain link and loaded the plugin in Motion Options. and soon as I pick the curve item, the chain link disappears. I assume it's going somewhere very far away but I can't tell where, the XYZ boxes all say "--1.#INDin" if I click the little crosshair icon in the Perspective view the "camera" goes so far away I can't even see the grid anymore.

http://content.screencast.com/users/philnolan3d/folders/Jing/media/dd36cfb8-8fff-4f16-8068-a066ea80db9b/2011-02-27_1807.png

Anti-Distinctly
02-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Make sure you've got a driver radius that is > 0 and your cog teeth count isn't zero.
It's either that or something is up with the curve item. Remember that the curve item isn't really a curve - the plugin just interpolates between points in the order they appear in modeller.

Philbert
02-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Yes the driver radius is default 0.1, the teeth count is 44, (the correct number)

Anti-Distinctly
02-27-2011, 04:16 PM
You've got to select the driver item. In your screen shot there isn't one selected.
And don't worry about trying to find the object if it's position is --1.#INDin. It's in hyperspace or something :)

Philbert
02-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Well it disappeared as soon as I clicked the path item, like you did in your video, I picked a driver item (the gear) and there was no change it still stayed "disappeared".

Video:
http://screencast.com/t/zgP7p0XiHYD

Anti-Distinctly
02-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Are you using v1.1 or v1.2?

Philbert
02-27-2011, 04:38 PM
1.2, I just downloaded it from your site.

Anti-Distinctly
02-27-2011, 04:41 PM
That's bizarre. v1.1 did have a problem like this which I thought I'd gotten rid of.
If you want to upload a packaged scene I'll take a look at it as soon as possible.

Philbert
02-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Here it is, thanks, I know your busy.

Philbert
02-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Ah! I just noticed, what I downloaded says 1.2 but in the drop down menu the name says 1.1. You can even see it in the video I posted. Unless you just forgot to change the number in the plugin itself.

Philbert
02-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Solved! (mostly)The problem was simply the Start Displacement, it cannot be set to 0. As soon as I changed it to something else it worked correctly. My only problem now is that at one point one of the links sort of flips sideways for just one or two frames.

Video:
http://screencast.com/t/yhjvSnlPaZ

Anti-Distinctly
02-28-2011, 02:11 AM
I'll check the version number in the code when I'm up and running, and also the displacement = 0 issue and see if I can get to the bottom of it.
As for the flipping, it's an annoying thing about the alignment maths that just happens sometimes. Your best bet is to rotate your object in modeller 90 degrees around Y, then try a different align axis. I've never known a case of not at least one of the align axes working smoothly.

EmperorPete
02-28-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm getting a really odd problem when I try to move a track setup I have created. The whole track assembly is parented to a null (called CHASSIS). When the chassis null is stationary, I see this:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/emperorpete/CG/ChainLink/ChainLinkYES.jpg
The track links work as they should.
But when I move the chassis null, I see this:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/emperorpete/CG/ChainLink/ChainLinkNO.jpg
Any idea what I might be doing wrong? I've attached the packaged scene for you to take a look at (2 scenes - one stationary, one moving. The only difference is the chassis null moving). Something odd is that if I render a still image, the tracks look fine (Layout's viewport even jumps to show the tracks fine after the render). But if I do a radiosity bake for an animation or render a series of frames, it's wrong again.
I can see this plugin being really useful for me, but I'm completely stumped by this. :(

Philbert
02-28-2011, 08:46 AM
As for the flipping, it's an annoying thing about the alignment maths that just happens sometimes. Your best bet is to rotate your object in modeller 90 degrees around Y, then try a different align axis. I've never known a case of not at least one of the align axes working smoothly.

Something interesting to note about the flipping. I made the path with LWCad's Line tool then converted it to 2 point polys from there. The point where it's flipping is the same point where I started and ended the loop.

Anti-Distinctly
02-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Something odd is that if I render a still image, the tracks look fine (Layout's viewport even jumps to show the tracks fine after the render). But if I do a radiosity bake for an animation or render a series of frames, it's wrong again.
I can see this plugin being really useful for me, but I'm completely stumped by this. :(

I think you hit the nail on the head there - it's basically layout not updating the OpenGL preview. The object's positions are actually ok but you can't see it :(
A habit I formed was to move the rig's null and then quickly tap the forward and back cursor keys, as that updates the window.

erikals
02-28-2011, 10:38 AM
i guess using VPR should fix it?...

Anti-Distinctly
02-28-2011, 10:44 AM
i guess using VPR should fix it?...

I've got no idea...curious to find out though :)

EmperorPete
02-28-2011, 11:20 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head there - it's basically layout not updating the OpenGL preview. The object's positions are actually ok but you can't see it :(
A habit I formed was to move the rig's null and then quickly tap the forward and back cursor keys, as that updates the window.
That sorts out the OpenGL view, but it doesn't sort out the rendering problems; if I render an animation, the position of the track is completely off, as it appears in the OpenGL view. This seems to affect radiosity baking as well.

Philbert
02-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Have you tried baking the animation?

EmperorPete
02-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Have you tried baking the animation?
I tried baking the driving wheel and it didn't make any difference; and baking the motion of over 120 track links would take a very long time... :(

Philbert
02-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Depending on the length of your animation it may be annoying but shouldn't take too long, You're really just scrubbing the time line for each one.

Anti-Distinctly
02-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Depending on the length of your animation it may be annoying but shouldn't take too long, You're really just scrubbing the time line for each one.

Still bloody irritating though. I made this darn thing to save time :)
Again, I'll just reiterate that I've not got access to my computer but I'll take a look at these issues as soon as possible.

EmperorPete
02-28-2011, 12:13 PM
That's odd; there doesn't seem to be anything there to bake. I tried it on a version of my scene with just the original track link, and looking at the motion graphs for it (even with the plugin working) there's no data there. It's as if the link isn't even moving, even though I can see it moving. I don't get this at all... am I missing something obvious here?

Anti-Distinctly
02-28-2011, 12:16 PM
That's odd; there doesn't seem to be anything there to bake. I tried it on a version of my scene with just the original track link, and looking at the motion graphs for it (even with the plugin working) there's no data there. It's as if the link isn't even moving, even though I can see it moving. I don't get this at all... am I missing something obvious here?

It may be because it's a motion modifier not a channel modifier. I can't recall off the top of my head if motion modifiers show on the motion graph.

EmperorPete
02-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Hmmm. Any way round that? The plugin works brilliantly until I try to move everything.

Cageman
02-28-2011, 12:21 PM
It may be because it's a motion modifier not a channel modifier. I can't recall off the top of my head if motion modifiers show on the motion graph.

They don't.

Cageman
02-28-2011, 02:06 PM
Did a videotutorial about the issues and how to move around them. Thanks to EmperorPete for the testcontent. :)

Appart from Chain Move v1.2, I also use MF MotionBaker (http://mentalfish.com/) and MultiMotion v2. (http://thespread.faulknermano.com/_theoldspread/index.htm)

The goods! (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_ChainMove_v1.2_TipsAndTricks)

Cheers!

Philbert
02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Nice video, that Open GL problem is quite strange, it doesn't do that for me.

EmperorPete
02-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Did a videotutorial about the issues and how to move around them. Thanks to EmperorPete for the testcontent. :)
Appart from Chain Move v1.2, I also use MF MotionBaker (http://mentalfish.com/) and MultiMotion v2. (http://thespread.faulknermano.com/_theoldspread/index.htm)
The goods! (ftp://LightWave:[email protected]:21/Cageman_ChainMove_v1.2_TipsAndTricks)
Cheers!
Brilliant! And you're more than welcome. Thank you for working out how to sort the problem out!
Luke, as soon as payday rolls round I'll be donating. :)

erikals
02-28-2011, 10:37 PM

Cheers!

loved that trick, certainly saved it for later.
thank you Cageman... http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/smile.gif

(sidenote, did anyone try VPR on this problem?)

Philbert
03-01-2011, 05:00 PM

You say MultiMotion, but the only thing I see like that on that link is MultiMotion GN and it's different from your video. Am I missing something?

EmperorPete
03-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Multimotion GN works the same way; it's just that rather than being one plugin that saves and loads, it's one for saving and one for loading.

Philbert
03-02-2011, 10:43 AM
I figured it out, thanks.

Cageman
03-02-2011, 11:51 AM
MultiMotionGN (v.2.0) (it is listed under Layout plugins at the link I provided earlier).

It uses the same UI to Load/Save.

EDIT: Oh... darn it.. I thought that Lernie had updated that particular one...

See the attachement. Not sure why that site is showing the old version still... I need to poke Lernie about it. :)

Philbert
03-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the link.

EmperorPete
03-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks, Cageman. I can see that plugin becoming very useful very quickly indeed.

jeric_synergy
03-03-2011, 03:05 AM
"FootPrinterX
Simple replacement for Layout's native footprinter plugin that works with geometry as opposed to the y = 0 plane"

??? There's a native 'footprinter'??? :stumped:

Cageman
03-03-2011, 01:01 PM
"FootPrinterX
Simple replacement for Layout's native footprinter plugin that works with geometry as opposed to the y = 0 plane"

??? There's a native 'footprinter'??? :stumped:

Yes.

jeric_synergy
03-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Yes.
I see the generic script "footprinter.ls", but in both the 9.0 and the 10.0 PDFs, all instances of "footprint" refer to the GE feature of that name.

Also, googling "footprinter lightwave" doesn't turn up anything likely. Except this thread. And others also searching for information on "footprinter.ls".

Anti-Distinctly
03-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Hey y'all. Just letting you know that I've been taking a look at Chain Move. There's some really annoying LW behaviour that causes the link position to be screwed up when offset = 0.
It seems to have been fixed in the last 9.6.1 beta I had, but unfortunately it seems that 9.6.1 will never see the light of day :/

nickdigital
03-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Does it work in 10?

Anti-Distinctly
03-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Does it work in 10?

I need to get some sleep now, but I've just taken a look and there does seem to be an error causing the link's rotation to go crazy in a scene I'm working on, but I need to debug it to find out exactly the cause of the problem, but I suspect it's the same thing.
For those who are curious; my plugin's calls to get vertex positions of the path object are resulting in a location of <0,0,0> which is causing all kinds of fun behaviour.

Philbert
03-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Does it work in 10?

I have the same problem in LW 10, it works you just have to set the link position set to something other than 0, like 0.01 for example.

JustForFun
03-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Very cool plugin. A little tricky to set up at first. I'm having a problem when reopenning a scene that's been set up. All the chain links are gone, until you open the motion options pallet for the link and resellect the curve item. The curve item is there as the pallet option, but you have to resellect it anyway. Is this the 9.6 bug that was mentioned earlier?

Philbert
03-09-2011, 09:29 PM
I set my scene up in LW10 but I just now loaded it back into 9.6 and it worked just fine.

http://screencast.com/t/UnOSNAqlKp

JustForFun
03-09-2011, 09:38 PM
I set my scene up in LW10 but I just now loaded it back into 9.6 and it worked just fine.

http://screencast.com/t/UnOSNAqlKp

The plugin version I'm using is 1.1. But the zip file it came from says 1.2 (12.23.10). I'm I using the right version?

Philbert
03-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Actually maybe you're right, I forgot the scene I tested with had all of the items baked so it wasn't even using the plugin. I switched to an older scene that used the plugin and none of the links were loaded (using 9.6) Loading the same scene into LW10 worked.

Anti-Distinctly
03-10-2011, 01:34 AM
The plugin version I'm using is 1.1. But the zip file it came from says 1.2 (12.23.10). I'm I using the right version?

Yeah, that's my fault. I didn't label it properly. If you have the option of selecting a chain link axis and up object then it's 1.2.
I'm currently working on v1.3, but I fear that the peculiarities caused by LW are beyond my control :(
Watch this space...

erikals
03-10-2011, 05:00 AM
maybe send fogbugs with plugin and scenefiles to fogbugz,...

(see my signature for instructions)

JustForFun
03-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Yeah, that's my fault. I didn't label it properly. If you have the option of selecting a chain link axis and up object then it's 1.2.
I'm currently working on v1.3, but I fear that the peculiarities caused by LW are beyond my control :(
Watch this space...
Once the initial link and plugin properties are setup you can just delete the clones and reclone. Only takes a moment to do it. Still worthy of a donation to the cause. Besides, I've grown acustom to work-arounds with LW. :D

Anti-Distinctly
03-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Right. I've been picking away at the code over the weekend and fundamentally redesigned the way the plugin deals with the path mesh. What this means to you all is that when you have many chain links things should calculate a lot faster. This also may help with some of the weird 'sync' type issues described earlier, but it's still probably best to bake the motion a la Cageman (thanks for that vid btw)
Also, whereas before if your curve (I really should change that name to 'path' or something as it's a bit of a misnomer at the moment) object extended in length your chain links would jump at the start point, now their positions are distributed along the curve. I did a very quick video showing this chain move 1.3 vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U0TuxOLm7g)

ChainMove 1.3 beta (http://www.euriskostudios.co.uk/es/plugin_pages/plugin_downloads/chainMove_v1.3_beta.zip) - PC 32/64 bit until I get my mac out of it's box. Tested on 9.6 and 10 (in discovery mode).

Bear in mind this is a beta so please let me know of any problems so I can try and get rid of them. Also if it causes your monitor to explode and send shards of glass into your eyes I cannot be held responsible, blah, blah, blah.

Cageman
03-13-2011, 02:52 PM
I did a very quick video showing this chain move 1.3 vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U0TuxOLm7g)

Cool stuff Luke, and I agree... it looks much better with all chains slightly appart rather than having one rather large gap. Add some motionblur and you would probably not notice the tiny gaps at all.

Well done!

zapper1998
03-13-2011, 09:18 PM
awesome, been setting up the tracks on my Cat, this is cool, will try it later..

zapper1998
03-14-2011, 04:58 PM
For the life of me... ughhhh
I was trying to figure out way my linkes were going in a figure 8 instead of following the chain path...
The Point Order was like all messered upper ..
.... :) LOL . ....
ON the chain path , 2-point poly chain, hahaha :)...
Boy did I learn something....

What is the "Up Item" for ????

Mike

Anti-Distinctly
03-15-2011, 03:19 AM
For the life of me... ughhhh
I was trying to figure out way my linkes were going in a figure 8 instead of following the chain path...
The Point Order was like all messered upper ..
.... :) LOL . ....
ON the chain path , 2-point poly chain, hahaha :)...
Boy did I learn something....

Yup, you must remember to keep your points in the correct order. The easiest way to tell is to select your points in modeller, then hit 'i' then 'select all' - this will show you their numbers.

What is the "Up Item" for ????

When calculating the direction of the link, it's quite difficult to get them to always align properly along the curve path. In the code this is done by taking the current link's position and getting it to look at the next link's position, but that doesn't tell us which direction the link's up should be pointing in. When no 'up item' is set ChainMove uses the average position of the points in the curve and all links use that as their 'up'. This option allows you to choose one of your own in case that doesn't work properly (this is usually in cases where the shape of the curve is concave)

dwburman
03-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Also, whereas before if your curve (I really should change that name to 'path' or something as it's a bit of a misnomer at the moment) object extended in length your chain links would jump at the start point, now their positions are distributed along the curve. I did a very quick video showing this chain move 1.3 vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U0TuxOLm7g)

Could the old method be added in as a toggle? Some tracked vehicles (like the M1 tank) are designed with part of the tracks covered, so one largish gap wouldn't be a problem if the gap was in the covered area.

Anti-Distinctly
03-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Could the old method be added in as a toggle? Some tracked vehicles (like the M1 tank) are designed with part of the tracks covered, so one largish gap wouldn't be a problem if the gap was in the covered area.

Maybe if enough people want it. This plugin has consumed quite a lot of time for a freebie is all.
But bear in mind that it shouldn't really be noticeable unless your curve stretches a lot.

zapper1998
03-15-2011, 05:43 PM
So the path
points are in sequence, 1 threw say 42

as in pic 1
93690moved 20ft on the X
93691moved the path back to 0,0,0

It works fine..

I move the track set over say 10Ft, on the x, but i have to leave the Path at 0,0,0.
For it to work properly, So when animating the tracks as the vehicle moves I just don't let it move xyz, just rotate it on its hpb.

Been tinkering with my CAT 345_L_Series III, tracks and so far it is working great..

Just been fun figuring out as the Cat moves over the plane and turns getting the tracks to to stay on the Wheels..

Michael

zapper1998
03-15-2011, 05:49 PM
The Track

Animates really good

TK

Michael

Oedo 808
03-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Maybe if enough people want it. This plugin has consumed quite a lot of time for a freebie is all.
But bear in mind that it shouldn't really be noticeable unless your curve stretches a lot.

Ha, it already seems like quite some time since I thought to myself while reading this thread; "No good deed goes unpunished."

I don't have immediate use for it, but I can see it being very handy, thanks for your efforts.

Anti-Distinctly
03-16-2011, 02:40 AM
I move the track set over say 10Ft, on the x, but i have to leave the Path at 0,0,0.
For it to work properly, So when animating the tracks as the vehicle moves I just don't let it move xyz, just rotate it on its hpb.

I suspect I know what's happening here. Create a null and name it 'up'parent it in the centre of your curve/path object, then use the 'up item' option and try again.
What I think has happened is that it's using the centre of the curve in object space and not world space. I'll check...

@Oedo 808: Thanks :D

Anti-Distinctly
03-16-2011, 06:44 AM
...yup, I was right. I fixed the problem as far as I can tell. Same link as before: ChainMove 1.3 beta (http://www.euriskostudios.co.uk/es/plugin_pages/plugin_downloads/chainMove_v1.3_beta.zip)

Let me know of any other problems.

THREEL
04-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Nice plug-in! How far does it go back? I'm still on the dinosaur v. 8.5 :D

zapper1998
04-06-2011, 01:25 AM
I suspect I know what's happening here. Create a null and name it 'up'parent it in the centre of your curve/path object, then use the 'up item' option and try again.
What I think has happened is that it's using the centre of the curve in object space and not world space. I'll check...

@Oedo 808: Thanks :D

thank you

Anti-Distinctly
04-06-2011, 02:01 AM
Nice plug-in! How far does it go back? I'm still on the dinosaur v. 8.5 :D

It should work ok.

THREEL
04-06-2011, 01:14 PM
It should work ok.

Thanks Luke! I'm working through your tutorial, but as soon as I click on the Curve Item selector button, layout crashes on me. Any idea what might be causing this?

Anti-Distinctly
04-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks Luke! I'm working through your tutorial, but as soon as I click on the Curve Item selector button, layout crashes on me. Any idea what might be causing this?

Very odd. No error or anything? Can you upload the content and I'll see if it happens here.

THREEL
04-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Very odd. No error or anything? Can you upload the content and I'll see if it happens here.

Here it is. It's nothing special, just a generic gear and chain links. I wanted to get the kinks worked out, before I got too detailed with my models. :D I'm wondering if the placements in my model have anything to do with it. The pieces are all in the same model, but on different layers.

Thanks!

ramccombe
07-02-2011, 11:24 AM
Hi Luke, first off great plugin. I'm just a hobbyist so I have only used your plugin enough to make it work and it worked great in 10.0 but it seems to have been broken since 10.1. I attached a few screenshots. The scene loads and plays fine in 10.0 but not any iteration of 10.1. It seems to loose connection to the curve item. If you notice in the 10.0 image all is well, 10.1 image the chain links are 0 and in the 10.1a it shows 46 because I selected that link and reassigned the curve item. If I go through all the links and reassign the curve item the scene works but won't save and reload. Obviously I'm on a Mac, Intel, OS 10.6.7. I hope you catch this thread again as it has been sleeping for a while. Again, nice work and I hope it can be fixed. If you need the scene files let me know. :thumbsup:

Thanx, Richard.:

Anti-Distinctly
07-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Sorry for the delay THREEL, I must have gotten distracted.
I'm not sure I have time right now to look at it, but I will eventually take a look and see what's going on. Also, I don't have access to a mac so wont be able to recompile the mac version even if I do find the cause :(
But yeah, I'll see what I can do when I have the time :)

nightrider
10-18-2011, 02:21 AM
I try to animate my tanks wheel but I cant get nothing to work like you have do to the movie.
I upload my sceene so you can se my vers off lg are v10.1 win 64 and the animation dont work to how shulld I do this ???
thx for alll the answer

steve0077
10-18-2011, 07:07 AM
There is no cam wheel or path in your scene.

erikals
10-18-2011, 07:16 AM
haven't studied the plugin, but i don't think it would work, seem to remember it uses clones, and there are no clones in your example, as you're using a soft band, and not a hard linked band...

try this trick from Dodgy...
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1021625&postcount=5

 

JustForFun
10-18-2011, 08:13 AM
haven't studied the plugin, but i don't think it would work, seem to remember it uses clones, and there are no clones in your example, as you're using a soft band, and not a hard linked band...

I tried this plugin a few months back and found my link clones would all be disabled if I were to close then reopen the scene. I found that a major pain.

nightrider
10-18-2011, 08:55 AM

try this trick from Dodgy...
http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1021625&postcount=5

 

Thx for this llink erikals this whas what I search for now
I must se how he has builld this animation so I can proceed with my band and its bad that this plg dont work that shuld be :(.
I ollso try to builld easy stuff like the video and try and that dont work for me

Chigbee
04-04-2013, 11:05 AM
This looks like exactly what I need. I have a complex model I need to animate. How do I install the Move Chain plugin on a MAC in 11.5?

I am mostly a hard surface modeler and don't do a lot of animation but my client has requested animation of this particular piece of equipment. As you can see I need the top part rotating toward the conveyor in front of the equipment and the bottom assembly rotating in the opposite direction. I have broken the model down into component parts to work with your plugin. The plungers and cups on the assembly are now individual models including the chain links they are attached too. The mid links and cogs are all separate models. One thing to note... the center cog on the bottom has been removed and the cogs on the bottom assembly will most likely not be visible in the animation.

Here is a link to a larger image of the model in question. http://www.bigblackbag.net/websites/original_media_viewer.asp?WebsiteID=235&GalleryID=76978&MediaID=948851

nickdigital
04-04-2013, 11:08 AM
It looks like it comes with a OSX UB build. So you would install it like any other plugin, provided it's compatible with your OS.

Anti-Distinctly
04-04-2013, 12:53 PM
nickdigital speaks the truth. Just add it like any other plugin (Shift+F9 > Add Plugin). It will then be available from your motion option plugins (press m to bring up motion options for an object).

Be sure to check out the video tutorials :)

Chigbee
04-04-2013, 03:55 PM
nickdigital speaks the truth. Just add it like any other plugin (Shift+F9 > Add Plugin). It will then be available from your motion option plugins (press m to bring up motion options for an object).

Be sure to check out the video tutorials :)

OK... got the plugin loaded but I think this is beyond what I am capable of at this point. I can't figure out how to make the poly chain I created the motion path or even figure out how to make one of the cogs the driver. Anyone interested in doing this animation give me a quote that I can pass on to my client. Contact me and I will explain what is needed. I need an animator!!!!

email: [email protected] Phone: 817-488-6549 USA

Anti-Distinctly
04-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Well, I'm the plugin author, so I can probably help you out :)