PDA

View Full Version : Best components for a multi-app pipeline

meatycheesyboy
12-06-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm thinking of augmenting LW with another app and was wondering, in your opinions, in this era of increased specialization, what 3D apps fill which holes the best?

I know this question has been asked many times in the past and I have some preconceived notions about what's good at what but I want to see if anything has radically changed.

I'm primarily a hobbyist so my budget isn't huge but don't worry too much about cost at this point. I'll figure all that out once I sort through the responses.

For reference, I already own LW, Zbrush, and UV Layout so UVs and sculpting are low priority as I already have very capable programs.

For example, what apps are best at:

Modeling?
Sculpting?
UVs?
Retopology?
Rendering?
Texturing/Painting?
Compositor Integration?
Motion Graphics?
Effects?
Character Animation?
Hard Body Dynamics?
Soft Body Dynamics?
Fluids?

Feel free to think outside the "main" apps as well. If you think Blender is the best at something, say it. Messiah, say it. TopoGun, say it.

Dexter2999
12-06-2010, 03:10 PM
LW, ZBrush, and UV Layout...

To me that covers you on the first four.
Rendering- LW has a good renderer already. I never needed anything better personally so I never looked into other things. I have skimmed through some of the Kray stuff and it looks great but I guess it comes down to what you need.
Texturing/Painting- on a budget, I'd stick with Photoshop
Compositor- After Effects is a good compositor. Flexible to do general compositing and motion effects. It's a fraction of what the high end app's are going to run. Unless you get them on a special.
Motion Effects- see above
Effects- After Effects, Houdini
Character Animation-Messiah, Meastro
No clue-
No clue-
Fluids-not on a budget supposed to be coming with CORE from what I read

meatycheesyboy
12-06-2010, 03:59 PM
I'm sorry Dexter2999, I should have been more clear. I meant which 3d apps integarte the best with compositors like AE, not which compositing program I should get. I already own a license of AE CS4.

I've been looking at maybe C4D as an option. It has great integration with AE, is kind of the standard for motion graphics which is a direction I've been moving towards but a part of me still wants to learn alot about character animation. Does anyone know if C4D has decent CA tools? Or how it is for dynamics?

Also, is it a good companion with LW when it comes to workflow? Or am I on the complete wrong track in considering C4D for anything?

Dexter2999
12-06-2010, 04:23 PM
For working with compositing, personally I'm looking at getting Janus to work with EXR trader. To break out passes.

From the videos posted online it looks like a very thorough workflow.

CF01
12-06-2010, 04:56 PM
C4D is a great app if you want to do motion graphics. Over priced though I think. CA tools are nice, but the referencing system is nearly worthless, so don't use it for long format projects unless you like needlessly redoing work. Modeling is something I don't care to use it for. I do all that in Modo or LW. Renderer is good. Not as good as LW, but very usable for most projects. I wouldn't bother with any versions other than Studio since you'll always end up needing one or two features that they only give you in a more expensive bundle than the one you have.