PDA

View Full Version : is new software/updates better or just more hassle!

cresshead
12-04-2010, 10:29 PM
is new software/updates better or just more hassle than it's worth?

upside>>
new cool stuff and fixes for old stuff that never worked as well as it should have.

downside>>
installing, licensing it to work, new bugs, new things to learn, unstable rushed releases, old tools/workflows going bye bye even if you liked them!
new tools not working, u.i. changes, plugins not working until patched to latest release, all your training material goes 'out of date', you start the road of learning the new tools/workflows even though your still learning the last updates before this one!!:cursin:

sometimes i just think i'd prefer to buy a new app to ADD to my exiting apps rather than update one i already have!

i'm i mad?:D

day's like today...i just start to muse over the idea of sticking with what i have and maybe adding a new app to my tools instead of putting my current app in a mixer to jumble it all up!

case in point...autoscratch max2011, though it has some new things i've not even got to grips with max2009....2 releases ago!
All the stuff i want to do in that app i can do in 3dsmax 8 really...is it worth keeping upto date?...
Should i just stop the merry go round and get on with DOING stuff and sticking to 1 version..it's a thought isn't it!

Same with toonboom 4.5..... it's good enough as is nevermind version 5 or version 6...add to that toonboom changed from serial number to computer locked and that just put me right off using version 5 even though i upgraded to it.

i'm coming to the conclusion that yearly updates are just too frequent esp if they turn some parts of the app upside down and get rid of stuff you liked...just spent 45mins tracking down my old icons from max9 to copy and paste over the ones in max 2011 as they updated all the options of u.i and killed off the icons i use for some bland colorless ones!:cursin:

i'd really like to "create" rather than constantly re-train!:D

so..thoughts?

Dexter2999
12-04-2010, 10:59 PM
I used to ALWAYS wait for the point release/service pack to be released before changing either applications or OS.

cresshead
12-05-2010, 12:01 AM
yeh same here...i only installed 3dsmax2011 today...it came out months back!

somedays i think that learning new stuff gets in the way of creating with what you already know..there's a trade off of course..you have to get the balance right

Dexter2999
12-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Pick your battles for sure.
Measure the learning curve and stunted productivity against long term gains by learning better software/workflow.

I see stories where people use Beta software in productions and honestly I don't think I'd have the nerve to do it.

bazsa73
12-05-2010, 01:27 AM
I upgraded from PS 5.5 to CS5 this year. Quite a leap but changing the bucket tool shortcut from key 'K' to 'G' put me off a bit.

richdj
12-05-2010, 04:01 AM
Hey Cress, I recall we have had this discussion a few years back.. As we've said before, if what you have works, use it. If you're not getting anything new (that is useable for you) then there's no reason to upgrade. Of course there is the thing with subscriptions, in that if something comes up in a future release and you haven't kept up with the subs, then it could cost you more to get back with it. The other issue, if you go to new software, you will need to learn something. If you stick with a new release, then, in theory, it should be a matter of updating your current knowledge.

Rich

cresshead
12-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Hey Cress, I recall we have had this discussion a few years back.. As we've said before, if what you have works, use it. If you're not getting anything new (that is useable for you) then there's no reason to upgrade. Of course there is the thing with subscriptions, in that if something comes up in a future release and you haven't kept up with the subs, then it could cost you more to get back with it. The other issue, if you go to new software, you will need to learn something. If you stick with a new release, then, in theory, it should be a matter of updating your current knowledge.

Rich

yup, spose i'm just miffed at 'desk' changing stuff that don't need messin with just to look/behave different from the last release to justify the subs...

abit like apples never ending quest to re invent the mouse when we've had the perfect mouse for around a decade...they just seem to screw it up each year!:)