PDA

View Full Version : Edge sharpness flipping error

Revanto
12-03-2010, 05:58 PM
I created a mesh the other day that has catmull-clark subdivision on it and I used edge sharpness on some of the edges.

Anyway, when I was done I tried mirroring a copy on the X axis and all the edge sharpness turned out incorrect as if the edge sharpness had been relocated to other edges.

For this mesh it wasn't a problem because I froze the mesh BUT in future, when I want to use edge sharpness I'd like to make sure the correct edges stay sharp on my mirrored mesh.

Anyone know how to ensure this?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Revanto :p

Snosrap
12-03-2010, 08:58 PM
CC weighting is broke in this regard. If you insist on using CC weighting you need to wait until the model is almost completely done as mirroring breaks CC weights. NT has no intention of fixing this in classic LW, need to wait for Core.

Revanto
12-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Yeah, I figured out that if you flip the normals after you mirror your edge weighted object, the weighting will be correct. The polygons will still be flipped so if the surface is double-sided then things will looks OK (Except for the slight polygon smoothing issue).

Oh, well, hopefully things get fixed in LW10.

Rev.

PS: If there was a plugin to automatically reverse edge weight values then it might be possible to avoid this mess.

Sensei
12-05-2010, 01:40 PM
In future you should use tools which support CC edge weighting.
Such as EasySplit http://easysplit.trueart.pl
There is even one video showing how it cuts edges where edge weighting was used.

Edge weighting can be displayed as digits above edges in mine second plugin ShowEdgeWeights from TrueArt's Modeling Pack http://www.trueart.pl

Edge weighting is stored in per-polygon weight map. Which means, order of point is essential. That's why flipping polygons gave impression of fixing (it made last point first point in poly, and so on with the rest). There is not possible to fix this. Every single tool must be changed to support it. It would be waste of NewTek developer time to fix 100+ tools, isn't? Not to mention all 3rd party..