PDA

View Full Version : New Free Tutorial Online :)

SplineGod
09-25-2003, 05:20 AM
I have a new quicktime posted up in response to a question from a student. It shows several things including how to use splines to fix areas where the geometry is messed up and various ways to fix smoothing errors on models that have been boolean cut or drilled. The movie is about a half hour in length but the filesize isnt too bad. You can download it HERE (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/support)

BeeVee
09-25-2003, 05:52 AM
Hi Larry,

Gets to 14 secs and freezes on my machine running Win2k, QT6.3 with a stack of memory and not a lot else running...

B

retinajoy
09-25-2003, 06:57 AM
Does the same on my computer when I play it on my Win2000. It freezes Quicktime and I have to ctrl-alt-del it.

Exper
09-25-2003, 07:17 AM
Many thanks to SplineGod (as always)!

BeeVee and retinajoy...
everything ok... on my WinXP!

Try downloading the "Quicktime 3GPP component" (http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/3gpp)!

Bye.

retinajoy
09-25-2003, 07:47 AM
Thanks Exper. I installed the latest QuickTime, 3GPP and reset my computer, but it still halted Quicktime. However, I have managed to get round this by clicking the timeline just after the 14 sec time position (before the play head reaches it) and it then plays fine from there.

Thanks SplineGod for all those free tuts on your support page. Definitely joining your Character modelling module before this month ends.

SplineGod
09-25-2003, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys. Ill have it reposted up later today. It may have gotten chewed up while uplodading. :)

cresshead
09-25-2003, 01:03 PM
your tutorials are pretty darn good!
just downloaded the uv mapping one as well...neat.

steve g

SplineGod
09-25-2003, 02:00 PM
Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments. :)
I uploaded the newest one again. Seemed to do so without a hitch.

SplineGod
10-02-2003, 10:07 PM
I just wanted to say that Ive got some new additions in my free rigs section at http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/rigs.htm

comanche
10-03-2003, 02:58 AM
Off topic:

Larry, how do you create such long QT movies at the minimum file size? I used CamStudio ('cause it's free) and saved to AVI at best quality. Rendered to QT Sorenson 3 in DFX+ and tried to keep the file size as small as possible. I didn't succeed. Could it be that going thru the AVI compression the QT output can not be optimized such as render to QT straight out of the screen cam software?

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Cheers,
Andreas

Oh, and while beeing off topic: I've ordered two of your CD's and have send you a PM. Still no answer (I think it got lost in all those spam mails these days, that's why I ask here on the board - sorry Newtek!). How long will the shipping to Germany last?

SplineGod
10-03-2003, 03:21 AM
I use Camtasia though Camstudio looks pretty cool esp for free.
The biggest culprit is the audio. Compress that down to something reasonably tolerable on the ears and that will really bring the file size down.
Camtasias screen capture codec tscc is pretty good on its own.
I can go from about 35MB to a bit over 6MB when going to quicktime and taking the audio down.
Also, dont record at 30 fps when capturing. Its a waste of bandwidth unless your viewing animation. I usually record at around 5-10 fps which is fine for showing off most things.
In the end giving someone a very high rez quicktime at a high frame rate is a waste or their time and yours. Most people want to copy the movies to their hard drives which is difficult if you have a ton of CDs. This is also a headache for you to try and burn/package/ship so many CDs.
Its about learning and not about fluff which does nobody any good in the end. I can get about 12-15 hours on a CD at the quality of the free stuff on my site. Its just convinient for everyone.
Also, converting to quicktime takes forever, longer then anything else. I dont know of an easy way to record directly to quicktime very quickly. Im looking at going back to wmv format because it encodes very quickly from avi.
BTW your CDs have been sent. On a good day theyll get there with the week. Ive had a couple of instances where they never arrived...good thing thats the exception. :) You should see them soon. :)

comanche
10-03-2003, 03:43 AM
Larry, thanks for the quick reply. I have forgotten to mention that no sound was recorded. The framerate during the record session was set to 5fps, size to somewhat like your's or Lee's tutorials. The file size was way too big. So I resized the video in DFX to half resolution and set the playback speed to 8fps (that's a speed boost about 60%, he he he). If you want to have a look at the vid:
MagicBevel UVs (http://www.calmbach.com/lw/magicbevel_uv.zip)
Filesize is about 10 MB. Because it's scaled down, you have to watch it at double size in the QT player. I was showing the creation of UVs while modelling a treelike object with MagicBevel to a long time Cinema4D user (like I am too). Still waiting for his comments about the LW tools :-)))

I've heared only good things about Camtasia. So maybe I'll give it a try as soon it's worth to purchase it (at the moment no commercial use, so I stick to camstudio for a whileŽ).

Thanks for all the explainations, Larry!.

Cheers,
Andreas

PS: looking forward to the CDs!!!

SplineGod
10-03-2003, 03:50 AM
One thing I would try would be going to another format such as wmv or divx...see what works. If you email me I can tell you what settings Im using for compression.

Jimzip
10-03-2003, 07:14 AM
Thanks Larry!
Very very helpful like all of them!

Jimzip :D

SLAYER
10-03-2003, 08:03 AM
If you want to have a look at the vid:
MagicBevel UVs (http://www.calmbach.com/lw/magicbevel_uv.zip)

Dude, that is an awesome vid!
I have been wanting UV tutorials like this for a long time.

Thanks

lede
10-03-2003, 05:43 PM
Larry,

Really like your free tutorials. Mabie some day I'll get the money to do your on-line series. Defenitly they have improved since the last one I got from you. Thanks for all your efforts.

Lee

SplineGod
10-03-2003, 05:53 PM
Thanks lede, :)
Which was the last one you got from me?
Also email me if youre interested in taking something
and dont have the cash (or even if you do). :)

lede
10-03-2003, 07:23 PM
I believe the first one I got off your website was the tutorial with the lizard head. It was okay to begin with but now your new version is AWSOM! There was so many small details you added from the previous version that just made it stand out. The origianl video also stoped playing twords the end so I got to listen to you but not fololow along.

I grabbed all your free stuff from the website the other day and have just been enjoying your head tutorials. I also really never understood the spin quad function but after watching the flow controll it made a lot of sence. I now can't wait to try it on some of my older models and see how it will improve them.

Thanks Again for your great work.
Lee

SplineGod
10-03-2003, 09:01 PM
Thats cool. :) Spin quads are great. Theres also a couple of other free versions of it out there -spin tris and spin polygon pair.
The edge common to both quads is the one the gets "spun".
Makes it easier to predict where the edge will flow.

adrian
10-04-2003, 03:47 AM
Larry,

Call me "mr-head-in-the-clouds" but today was the first time I came across your site (and free tuts). All I can say is WOW!

I'm currently working through the UV mapping ones.

The LW community can only benefit from people such as yourself and Dan Ablan with your fantastic training material out there.

BTW I mentioned this to Dan, but I would be interested in buying a "Hollywood Special Effects" type training CD. Think of the coolest effects seen in movies, you geniuses recreate them and show the rest of us how to do it!! I'm sure that would be a big seller.

If not, how about "everything you wanted to know about UV-mapping but were afraid to ask....." - I'm talking seriously advanced UV mapping techniques.

So what do you reckon? Just say yes, and my money's on the table!

Anyway, a big thanks for the free stuff (I really can't believe you're offering all this stuff).

Adrian.

SplineGod
10-04-2003, 05:04 AM
Thanks Adrian, good idea :) Its something Ive also been interested in doing for awhile. Ive had to do so many weird things since Ive been working out in Hollywood ,especially things Ive had to turn around very quickly. Many times you dont have time to use many of the cool features (particles, HVs, Volumetrics etc) and have to come up with something else. This was especially true when I was working on Dan Dare at Netter Digital. I was Technical Director on the show and had to figure out funky stuff as well as get my own shots done. It was a headache sometimes but fun. :)
Im working on such a series of CDs that will teach a lot of that type of thing. One of the things I plan to cover are things like this shot I had to do for a movie called They Crawl (http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/crawlers.avi)

adrian
10-04-2003, 11:09 AM
That was just the answer I was hoping for!

That's a good bug effect. Although far be it for me to criticise, I think it looks a little flat just at the beginning. But I *did* watch it over and over again to look for flaws!!

As/when you finish the CD, you have a customer right here.

Training CDs are definately my preferred way of learning rather than solely reading books - it's like having someone right there with you explaining each step.

Keep up the good work Larry!

Adrian.