PDA

View Full Version : 9.6.1 Mac 64-Mac Pro-IFW2-trouble

greg.reyna
12-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Scene won't load. LW 9.6.1 doesn't recognize IFW2 plugins & Maestro2 confusion.

Running a new Mac Pro 8-core Intel Xeon (Westmere). The version of 9.6.1 I'm running is Build 1553; Mac 64; 24 June 2010.
---
I started out using the file setup I've used successfully with LW 9.6. The IFW2_textures folder (with the v.10 plugins in it), and the Preferences folder are at the same level as the Content folder, Layout, Modeler, etc. The Maestro2 folder is in the Content folder.
---
Before getting this machine I was running LW on a dp 1.42 gHZ G4. My scene is well developed but not completely finished. I've got LW 9.6 and 9.6.1 in separate folders. Both versions are on the same partition, but I decided to duplicate all scene files, object files, etc, so each LW folder heirarchy is complete in itself. I copied the 9.6 Preferences folder into place for 9.6.1 to use, and copied all of the IFW2 Presets from 9.6 to the respective folders in 9.6.1's 'Shared Support/Presets'.
---
To begin I loaded a scene into 9.6, all went well, no problems. Then I tried opening the same scene in 9.6.1 (but not the same file, it's a copy of the file in the 9.6 Content/Scenes folder). Both LW and Maestro couldn't find many files they needed. IFW2's plugins couldn't be found, even though 9.6.1 seemed to show them as already loaded into the program. (there was a "P" on the left side of the Plug-ins window listing for each one--what does that mean?) As a test I clicked on an individual IFW2 plugin, 9.6.1 couldn't open it.

After the scene failed to open properly, I tried setting everything up the way LW961-ReadMe.txt suggests:

I copied all the 3rd-party files into ~/Library/Application Support/LightWave3D/

I copied the Preferences folder in. Then, into the Plugins folder I copied all of the many IFW2 plugins, as well as Maestro2's three plugins, and Worley's G2 & FPrime (3.5). For good measure, I copied all the IFW2 presets into the existing Presets folder, using the corresponding sub folder structure that SharedSupport/Presets uses. I left these files in both places, the locations I've been using for 9.6, as well as ~/Library/Application Support/LightWave3D/
---
For some reason both LW 9.6.1 and Maestro2 get completely confused, even though everything is where it belongs. The scene loads fine in LW 9.6. Here's what happens in 9.6.1:

As the scene begins to load, I get a 'Confirmation Required' window from Maestro asking me to browse to the Maestro folder and select Maestro2.txt. Which doesn't help Maestro locate the files it needs. First I get a window requesting V2rigging.ngf, after locating that file, the Confirmation Required window opens again. This pattern repeats as Maestro looks for V2rigging.jpg, and V2biped.jpg. Locating the files didn't work. The Maestro window shows the Hotspots, but not the BG pictures. But before the scene loading completes, 9.6.1 reports not being able to find the IFW2 plugins that are used in my scene--one by one. I'd like to note here that it sure would be nice to have a way to abort the loading of a scene. Clicking 'Ok' on many many windows is really a drag.

When the scene finally finishes loading, Lightwave reports an error in a red area under Layout's timeline:

Line 11569, Invalid argument 1 value to method getKeyTime()

I tried running Layout again, and scanning the ~/Library/Application Support/LightWave3D/Plugins folder. Lightwave only found five plugins, apparently it found the five that weren't from IFW2.

This scene loaded into the 32-bit version of LW 9.6.1 on my G4, so it seems the trouble is either in the 64-bit version, or the Mac Pro, or both.

I'm cc-ing this to Eric at Stillwater (Maestro2), as well as sending it in as a bug report.

Greg

Kuzey
12-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Since it's working in the 32bit version of LW 9.6.1, I suspect the plugins need to be updated to 64bit to work with LW 64bit.

Check the plugin websites to see if the have ported the plugins to 64bit....otherwise, you're stuck using the 32bit of LW for now.

Edit: Just to be clear....you need two sets of plugins, 32bit & 64bit to work in both modes (32bit/64bit) of LW 9.6.1.

Kuzey

3dworks
12-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Since it's working in the 32bit version of LW 9.6.1, I suspect the plugins need to be updated to 64bit to work with LW 64bit.

Check the plugin websites to see if the have ported the plugins to 64bit....otherwise, you're stuck using the 32bit of LW for now.

Edit: Just to be clear....you need two sets of plugins, 32bit & 64bit to work in both modes (32bit/64bit) of LW 9.6.1.

Kuzey

just as info: they are already updated, just contact the developer. if you want to use them as well on your G4, just make sure they will work with powerpc, not only intel.
once you have the 64 bit capable universal plugins, no need for 2 sets, they are working in both modes.

markus

Kuzey
12-03-2010, 03:27 PM
once you have the 64 bit capable universal plugins, no need for 2 sets, they are working in both modes.

Ahh....I didn't know that :)

Unless..both the 32bit and 64bit versions of the plugins are packaged together...like LW9.6.1...I presume?

Kuzey