PDA

View Full Version : Fbx

khalid
12-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Hi all,
I am trying to get FBX content with animations into LW...
Any Ideas how to do that.. it is like a riddle to me :(

Big thanks,
Khalid

Greenlaw
12-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Load the FBX just as you would a scene file.

Phil
12-03-2010, 02:41 AM
Bear in mind that the importer in 9.6 is....far from perfect. If you find it works, great, but if not, you'll have to try 9.6.1 (Open Beta) and hope that it helps.

I never successfully got something in to 9.6 using FBX or COLLADA. Others have had more success, I think

khalid
12-03-2010, 05:19 AM
how about 10!!
also what about all the models animated and the exported to FBX!! what happens.. I mean do you FBX every object!! every light!! does it store deformations on object!!

Thank you :)

Hieron
12-03-2010, 06:58 AM
We tried .fbx, failed and moved to more manual and for instance PointOven exports.
Interesting though, does .fbx imports even work for someone?

Saw it pop up a few times as a nice "feature"...

Greenlaw
12-03-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm successfully using the FBX exporter in 9.6.1 to move my mocap data to Lightwave characters for a short film, but there are a lot of weird issues that forced me to do some crazy workarounds. Some of my workflow is described in the Animeeple thread (http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101917&highlight=animeeple&page=25). I think the details start at around post number 372, but there is interesting info scattered throughout that thread.

Because LW 10 is still in beta, we can't discuss its FBX importer/exporter here in a public forum, but I thinks it's okay to say Newtek is busy making improvements to it.

G.

Edit: we use the FBX exporter at work too, but mainly for moving camera data and stationary objects to other programs like Fusion. At one time we were using proprietary software to move characters and bones animation between Lightwave and Maya, but now we just keep all the character animation in Maya and use Point Oven to write out .mdd files.