PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave out of memory

lim-e
12-02-2010, 03:49 AM
When working with a large, highly detailed, file (130 MB .lwo) with 3,556,633 polys I get a 'Not enough memory for that operation' message if trying to do anything with these polys. The file has over 100 layers, and even if I select a layer with the fewest of polys and try to merge points or flip polys, the interface still brings up this message. Compressing all layers into one delivers the same result!

I thought it really was because I had too little memory (only 2 GB), but I upgraded to 10 GB and the error is still there.

Interestingly, I can work the file easily in Cinema - even with 2 Gigs of memory.

My system is OSX 10.4 (Tiger) with 10 GB memory, 30 GB HD available and running LW 9.6.

Does anyone else have this problem or can point me to a solution?

JonW
12-02-2010, 04:18 AM
Have you tried a f10 render instead of an f9.

Or, rendered via Screamernet so you don’t have to load the scene.

lim-e
12-02-2010, 04:22 AM
Hi JonW, we are not at the rendering stage just yet! I am still within the Modeler, and cannot manipulate the model because of the 'out of memory message'. If I could break the model down, I would - but copying blocks of linked polygons and pasting them in a new Modeler document brings either the error message, or kills Modeler completely.

Thanks.

wsi
12-02-2010, 04:29 AM
What about deleting? Copy our model file, delete one half of the geometry and look if that works.

JonW
12-02-2010, 04:35 AM
That’s a lot of polys in Modeler. Even on my main box it gets a bit slow. & that’s with a good graphics card, SSD & 24gb ram. Modeler is only using one core. But this is a different issue to your problem.

Are there large bit maps on objects, can these be reduced.

Try a new dummy object from scratch & multiply & build up in size till it shows out of memory.

lim-e
12-02-2010, 04:57 AM
Deleting parts of the model may be the only option available. But what irritates me is that Cinema can work this file, in all its high-definition, and not complain. Surely, LW is able to handle this task too - after all, it is used in Hollywood etc. Where is it written that the limitation is 3 Mil polys? or that LW Modeler does not utilize the available memory?

It was bad enough that LW does not provide native import support for .wrl files. Now I have the model in LW I cannot work on it - such a shame!

JonW
12-02-2010, 05:07 AM
I just tried 500 x 1152 (48x24) poly spheres on 9 layers. 5184000 polys. 2.87 gb. Tried 10 layers, but not enough memory.

Mini Mac 4gb ram. It’s painfully slow moving 5m polys!

You may need to go 64 bit, but at this stage you will have to use a PC, but at Least with LW you can use your Licence on a PC.

Otterman
12-02-2010, 05:42 AM
lim-e

Try signing up for 9.6.1 beta, its 64bit and should allow you to access all that xtra ram

Skonk
12-02-2010, 06:05 AM
That's your problem; the current release version of LW for mac is 32bit so will only be using 3GB of your ram.

As has been said, the 9.6.1 beta is 64bit but it's not been updated in ages and I've found a lot of stuff seems to be broken in it.

I'd be tempted to suggest running bootcamp with a 64bit version of windows.

3DGFXStudios
12-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Isn't osx tiger 32bit. If it is you won't be able to use 64bit lw. I think you need to install snow leopard.

lim-e
12-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Correct, Tiger is 32-bit - still doesn't explain why Cinema should be able to process the same file without any problems!

I've installed the 9.6.1 Beta - the prog. crashes when copying a block of polys from the model. So no improvement there then - in fact it's worse! Anyway, the reg. is only valid for 4-days!

Hieron
12-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Export the thing in parts out of C4D instead of working with 1 massive model. Not really a reason why you'd need to have it all in 1 object per se right, and Layout sure doesn't mind if you split it up.

Modeler is a bit old etc.. working with a 100 layer object isn't really a thing I'd recommend. What type of object is it anyway?

lim-e
12-02-2010, 08:14 AM
The model is a highly detailed piece of agricultural machinery, which, rather than spend days in a photo shoot, can have the relevant areas worked on in Modeler/Lightwave.

There aren't any textures etc. applied to this model as yet - I can't get that far. But, I would have hoped that by getting all the subparts in layers, i.e. a wheel per layer, for example, then working in that layer would give me faster OpenGL control than working on the whole model. This is true, but the tools still do not work - no memory etc. So, the architecture is indeed poor.

Other than having to work in Cinema, I suppose I'll have to upgrade both system and software (LW 10) - although that is not a guarantee that I'll still be able to work on such files.

JonW
12-02-2010, 12:54 PM
If you need all the parts in 1 object, can you at least have a proxy object for that layer. A simple disc for each wheel & “Un-check” that layer so it doesn’t load into Layout.

wsi
12-03-2010, 04:35 AM
Jep, Cinema4D is capable of handling polygon-heavy objects quite easy, but it get's slow with a lot of objects (in thousands). Unfortunately it's workflow is oriented to lots of objects. And besides that in C4D you'll find display errors quite often, when working in uncommon scales or far away from the origin. Additionally it doesn't vertex shading maps at all.

Every tool got it's pros and cons. At work I use Cinema 4D and Lightwave together. Cinema 4D can load Lightwave files and via RipTide you can export to OBJ with layers and the like.