PDA

View Full Version : NewTek at NAB 2003 - You're the first!

Chuck
02-28-2003, 08:48 AM
We're posting this news here first!

Yes, it's true... NewTek will be showcasing Video Toaster [3] at NAB 2003 in Las Vegas, booth number SL2844. Wednesday evening, we gave NewTek Authorized Resellers the first public demonstration of the new software. A sample of the new features added include:

- Batch Capture.
- Re-designed DV support and capture.
- Re-designed CG.
- 3D Positioning within ToasterEdit
- Spline editor for all parameters within ToasterEdit.
- ToasterEdit wrapper codec, allowing you to import ToasterEdit projects
into any application that can read AVI files without any rendering process.
This also allows you to import ToasterEdit projects into the DVD authoring
or MPEG encoding software or your choice without an extra rendering step.
- and much, much, more ...

Note: VideoToaster [3] relies on the cutting-edge performance of the SSE2 instruction set, and so requires the Intel P4 or AMD Opteron CPU.

Visit your NewTek reseller today to get more details. Current Video Toaster [2] owners may pre-order your upgrade from your reseller today at $595. If you haven't already joined the Video Toaster community, now is the time! Today through Video Toaster [3] shipping you may purchase a Video Toaster [2] for $2495US and receive a FREE software upgrade to Video Toaster [3]! Call your reseller today and get your Video Toaster [2] now and save!

JReble
02-28-2003, 09:37 AM
Good to hear you're moving forward, but I'm kinda bummed that some of that isn't already in Toaster 2, but you guys gotta eat too. In any event I've got a few questions to start things off.

What's the dealio with genlock capability now and in the anticipated new release?

Am I picking up a suggestion that we'll have true Premiere support in the next version in addition to other edit packages?

By spline control, do you mean that the audio in Ted can be adjusted right from the timeline or in a total track length view on the edit properties window instead of with those #[email protected]#&* key frames?

Will we be able to make 3D moving plane FX within Toaster software which can be saved and used in the switcher on demand? (flips, spins, page turns, etc.)

Will there be an actual full release of the video FX creation software for Toaster 2 and lightwave express as we've been led to expect?

Thanks, and keep up the good work! http://www.jamezbrown.com/mysmilies/contrib/xerx/smileypersistenceofmemory.gif

Pat O'Neill
02-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Thank you all at Newtek. A great product..... just got a lot better. Well worth the price, in IMHO. Congratulations on the new forum too. One happy....er Toaster.

Regards, Pat O'Neill

bradl
03-01-2003, 12:55 AM
Sounds great! More details anxiously awaited.

JReble, we bought genlock from Safe Harbor months ago and it works like a champ. We are using it with the SDI option to feed a digital switcher, so I did not have to adjust timing in the configurations but the handles in there appeared to be working.

Brad Loflin

JReble
03-01-2003, 05:28 AM
So the Genlock option is already available??? How'd I miss that? I though people just got tired of askin about it. Maybe some mention of those little extras should be more prominently featured in the website product details unless I missed that too. :rolleyes:

Faraz
03-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Life is good. If only I could get a Toaster.

Original1
03-01-2003, 04:22 PM
Note: VideoToaster [3] relies on the cutting-edge performance of the SSE2 instruction set, and so requires the Intel P4 or AMD Opteron CPU.

So that means those of us running on AMD XP and MP's can't run version 3 at all:(

Hmm,

So now we are looking at a Hardware upgrade and $600 bucks for new software Ouch!!

Thats hard on the amateur or non professional user.

Oh well better work out a way to make my "hobby" toaster pay.

Paul Lara
03-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Original1
...better work out a way to make my "hobby" toaster pay.

...easier than you might first imagine.
You have an incredible tool to create what others need, whether it's for web, for home or for broadcast.

:cool:

Jeffers
03-01-2003, 05:18 PM
No High Definition! DOH!

And the SDI card. Do we have digital audio yet?

Paul Lara
03-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Dillon
Do we have digital audio yet?

Not yet.

Faraz
03-02-2003, 07:30 PM
So we will eventully... Just wanted to be Pain for Paul!

Sorry couldn't resist it-
Faraz Ahmed

GoceN
03-05-2003, 11:19 AM
So you say that I buy my VT last week and now you tell me that I have to pay an extra 600$ UUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHH.:mad:

SBowie
03-05-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by GoceN
UUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHH.:mad:

Just in case you miss it, I have replied to your post in the other forum you place it in...

lwaddict
03-11-2003, 10:29 AM
So...

are you guys going to let us know exactly
which motherboards and/or chipsets are
fully compatible this time around?

I went by the last list and still had to
shell out a ton of money to get the Toaster
running properly...a hard lesson learned (hopefully).

But I would really like to avoid this on the
next round.

Don't get me wrong...I want all the new feature of 3
and I'm willing to build a new system, if that what it
takes, and I'm willing to pay for the upgrade (you
rarely charge us for updates, so what the hell)...
but please throw me a bone here and give us some
specific hardware that has been fully tested.

Thanks;)

ted
03-11-2003, 02:47 PM
lwaddict, well put. I wish everyone else could phrase their questions/frustrations so eloquently.

lwaddict
03-11-2003, 05:01 PM
Thanks Ted,

I don't want to rant and rave...
which is usually my M.O.

Not on this subject though...
ranting and raving just cost me more money.

I just would like Newtek to be up front with
us all and "tell" us what works, and not to
be vague about it either. Specifically, what works.
Other companies do it all the time.

Paul Lara
03-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by lwaddict
So...are you guys going to let us know exactly
which motherboards and/or chipsets are
fully compatible?

Well,
i850
i860
E7205
E7505
are all chipsets that seem to perform well for Video Toaster. Is that specific enough?

lwaddict
03-11-2003, 07:56 PM
These are compatible with the Toaster 3 right?

And no...
I honestly do not believe this is enough information.

I followed these kinds of directions last round.
It said I could use a K7 something-rather board...
I picked up a Dragon with IDE Raid that met those specs
and built quite the system around it...
Turns out that the VIA chipset was not compatible and I
have yet to have had a fully functioning Toaster as a result.

I've since ordered all the parts again to the specs of a
person who successfully builds these things all the time
but feel this "generic" information is misleading.

What brands?
What boards exactly have been tested?
Which SCSI or IDE Raid cards have been tested, exactly?
What conflicts, brands, parts, components, etc...?

If you look at the first post on this thread, he recommends
P4's and Opteron's...but that's not really enough is it?

Signed,

Willing to fork out but where's the beef?

Paul Lara
03-11-2003, 09:18 PM
These are compatible with the Toaster 3 right?

And no...
I honestly do not believe this is enough information.

Well, there are more manufacturers and models than NewTek could ever possibly hope to test, which is why we keep it generalized to chipsets and not particular model numbers. Many NewTek resellers are daily testing more motherboards and disk controllers than we can, and they openly share their findings here and elswhere on the Net. If you have a specific motherboard model, then ask, and people will tell you what they know.

ted
03-11-2003, 10:50 PM
I'm not saying shame on you for building your own, but this is a good example of why I recommend, (IMHO), that it ain't worth the money you save, by doing it yourself. Dealers have found what doesn't work and that saves me time and MONEY.

God bless those hard working dealers.
My two dealers have taken back parts that have failed on a couple occasions. but more importantly, they found and resolved some issues before they even sent my systems.

I wish you well.

lwaddict
03-12-2003, 05:59 AM
Building a Toaster system shouldn't be an art.

And it's totally worth building your own.
I've lost some time, continued working with my older editing
system in the meantime, but I've saved roughly 10 thousand
dollars do this myself.

Need:
Case
Motherboard
RAM
IDE Raid
Drives

DONE

This is the case for a simple system...
Very basic and shouldn't cost you an arm and/or a leg
and should pretty much work.

I'm not even going to get into the millions of peripherals you could place in your system that may or may not conflict as this is the case with any software/hardware that you might purchase, so this issue is understandable.

By the way...
stating that it's best to have an authorize reseller build you a system for a card that's readily available separately just doesn't jive either.
Example:
"I'm having a problem with my modem dialing out properly"
Tech, "Oh, did you pay the extra thousand or so dollars for a professional installation?"

I realize that I'm over simplifying with my example but,
having built custom PC's for over ten years now,
I'll never quite get over how it seems that the more expensive
the hardware...the less likely it is that it does what it says
on the box.

Again, I love my Newtek products...
I own Aura, Lightwave, and the Toaster (Animator's Edition, with the additional Lightwave and Aura seats "great deal")...
And the service that I've received all these years, since LW5,
from both Newtek and now my local dealer, are outstanding!
I just thought that the issue should be brought up.

Newtek has the Toaster at a ridiculously low price for what
it can do and people are out there ready to buy it...
I've talked a more than a few into it (even with mine in it's present state, it's better than Pinnacle, LOL)...
but they're hesitant to buy it due to all the recommendations
to buy a 9-15 thousand dollar system instead of the 2,500 dollar card and build the rest themselves.
Hmmm?

SBowie
03-12-2003, 07:51 AM

Need:

1- Case:
2- Motherboard
3- RAM
4- IDE Raid
5- Drives
6- DONE

1- suit yourself, using anything with good cooling that's big enough for your mobo

2- This one is the front runner among many dealers these days, though others have been/are being tested:Super Micro (http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/E7505/X5DA8.htm)

3- at least a gig, Registered DDR for the above mobo.

4- Escalade, pick a model

5- since you're not going SCSI, and SATA is still not widely tested, most are using WD JB series.

6- DONE

No - not really. You haven't even started yet. (Oh, don't forget to hunt up an approved power supply for that mobo ... there's a thread on them elsewhere on this board.)

stating that it's best to have an authorize reseller build you a system for a card that's readily available separately just doesn't jive either. If there were no other info available, it might be irritating alright. But apart from NewTek's recommendations, which seem to me to be reasonably forthcoming, this forum and the one at yahoogroups.com are well populated with dealers discussing their pet systems and testing in progress. Plus they will generally beat NewTek's price on the bare bundle while simultaneously providing you with enough guidance to get it right the first time.

Example:
"I'm having a problem with my modem dialing out properly"
Tech, "Oh, did you pay the extra thousand or so dollars for a professional installation?"
You 're joking, right? Even so, someone needs to correct this misimpression ... in case anyone take you seriously.

I WISH we were making that much extra. You ever notice dealers all drive old beaters? Please. My added profit on a complete system (versus handing you the box like this was WalMart) totally configured, tested, tweaked, pre-loaded with all the little add-on utilities, fonts, media players, etc. (that many wouldn't even be aware of until they'd had their system for months) would run to a few hundred, not a grand -- really, not close to enough to justify my invested time ... and that includes delivery and training (in this area). I make what $$ I do on the Toaster, not the rest of it - there's too much competition from Dell and others to make it possible for me to mark that stuff up anyway. And, just to be perfectly explicit, please note that like all other dealers, I make less on the bare bundle than NewTek would if you buy direct.

From a financial standpoint, this surely seems stupid - so why do I do it? Because I provide darn near everlasting after-sale support, and it's a lot less work for me if the system is properly set up in the first place.

... but they're hesitant to buy it due to all the recommendations
to buy a 9-15 thousand dollar system instead of the 2,500 dollar card and build the rest themselves.
Hmmm? Any dealer can build a cheap system, just like a "budget-minded" end user might do. How hard is it to stick the card in the slot, the CD in the drive, and run autocongfig? The reluctance to do so isn't because we don't want to sell systems, nor is it greed. We know what works best, what just works, and what doesn't. We want people to enjoy the ride, not spend all their time on the phone bitching. That's why I spend MANY hours on each system, so it is truly turnkey.

And finally, while it wouldn't be hard to build a primo system that hits your estimates, most dealers can put together a very good system for substantially less these days. In fact, you could walk out my door with a VERY functional dual-Xeon T[2] for just a bit more than half your bottom figure. I think you realize that your postulated 'savings' largely come from using a non-spec IDE RAID, instead of the much more expensive SCSI solution, and dealers will build that if you want it. To get anywhere near $15k you'd have to add the SX-8 and load it up with RD-RAM and big fat SCSI drives-- not that that's a bad idea, but let's not compare apples and oranges. The rest of the system is now literally "cheap", largely thanks to the new mobo's, and reductions in Intel's pricing.

I've no objection whatsoever if you want to 'go it alone', or even want to pick the brains of the dealers here (or one you buy the bare bundle from.) It can be a good experience, if you're halfways competent (the only thing that bugs me when someone does that is when they pop up here 5 minutes later complaining about what a piece of crap the Toaster even though the mistakes are all their own.) But your comments on pricing and dealers generally are seriously wide of the mark.

ted
03-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Sorry, I didn't want to imply you MUST use a dealer, or you're less intelligent for doing it yourself.

It's just simple math for me.
I make $1,850.00 a day using my edit bays. If I'm down just ONE day, I've lost more then my dealer charged me to build my system.
Not to mention possibly having the client go elsewhere after missing his deadline.

Like I said, I wish you well.

lwaddict
03-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Steve wrote:
B](the only thing that bugs me when someone does that is when they pop up here 5 minutes later complaining about what a piece of crap the Toaster even though the mistakes are all their own.)[/B]

I don't recall slamming the Toaster itself.
In fact...
I recall saying how much I love my Newtek products.
Too many times people are blown off by the above statements made.

The only thing that bugs me when someone does this is when the thread becomes a defensive mechanism as opposed to a solution tool.

Steve wrote:
you could walk out my door with a VERY functional dual-Xeon T[2] for just a bit more than half your bottom figure. I think you realize that your postulated 'savings' largely come from using a non-spec IDE RAID

Really?
Maybe you should try posting your prices somewhere.
Even without all the extras and even without the breakout box
most of the companies that I researched checked out a Toaster system (bare bones or do-it-yourself models) for around 9k, period.

By the way...you really need to check out IDE Raid, which has been the one thing that hasn't been a problem for the Toaster.
The "spec" for the drives was "speed", not SCSI.
Toaster loves IDE Raid.
And the raid card isn't any cheaper than that Adaptec card most are using...but the drives are, I'll give you that.

My problem thus far was with the VIA Chipset not the raid drives.

lwaddict
03-12-2003, 01:20 PM
Just double checked...

that 9k rough figure?

That was WITH IDE raid.

SBowie
03-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Steve wrote:
(the only thing that bugs me when someone does that is when they pop up here 5 minutes later complaining about what a piece of crap the Toaster even though the mistakes are all their own.)

I don't recall slamming the Toaster itself. And I didn't say or imply you had, actually.

Even without all the extras and even without the breakout box
most of the companies that I researched checked out a Toaster system (bare bones or do-it-yourself models) for around 9k, period. Obviously I can't answer for other dealers, but there have been some significant improvements in options and costs recently, as I mentioned.

By the way...you really need to check out IDE Raid, which has been the one thing that hasn't been a problem for the Toaster.
The "spec" for the drives was "speed", not SCSI.
Toaster loves IDE Raid.Actually, I didn't just start doing this yesterday, and am well aware of EIDE options. And no, the spec wasn't just for speed. As I stated, NewTek has NEVER recommended IDE RAIDs. Quite the contrary, they continue to indicate SCSI as preferable. There is more to this issue than speed, but I'm not criticizing anyone's choice. Merely drawing attention to the single largest cost variable. Nevertheless, as I mentioned, any dealer will build you an EIDE system if you ask him to.

SBowie
03-12-2003, 01:52 PM

that 9k rough figure? That was WITH IDE raid. You might want to aks the dealer if he'd like to update his list, taking into account current NewTek specials, and the economies offered by the 7505 chipset and recently lowered Xeon prices. Or move to Toronto :)

I'm not trying to hassle you 'addict' -- just pointing out that many NewTek dealers provide significant bang for buck. Like most dealers, I have no problem at all with do-it-yourselfers (with the exception of those nimno's previously mentioned who royally screw things up because they didn't do their homework, then flame everyone in hearing distance.)

lwaddict
03-14-2003, 01:17 PM
I spotted a Dell Precision 650 with Dual Xeons...
I'm thinking about going this route due to the T3 recommendations but...

I'm needing some reassurance before I make another large purchase like this...

Anyone have any luck with these?
It uses the E7505 chipset and I can put my G3 into it
alongside an Adaptec 29160N and some drives.

Just wondering if a swammie from this thread can smile on this idea...Steve?

SBowie
03-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Without looking up the specs, my only comment is that if possible, you'd probably be wise to select something with SCSI onboard, and sell your 29160. (Even though you'd likely be able to pop the latter into a 64bit slot, the opportunity to get U320 on the mobo is not to be overlooked.)

Apart from that, 7505 is definitely "workin' fine", and dual-Xeon is the way to go when "movin' on up ." :)

jcupp
03-27-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by SBowie

I WISH we were making that much extra. You ever notice dealers all drive old beaters?

Had to laugh at that - I drive a 1995 Ford Windstar with 190,000 miles on it (my other car has well over 200,000). :)

Jeff (Please buy more Toasters, I've got my eye on a Kia) Cupp
Digital Arts

Jim Capillo
03-27-2003, 08:15 AM
Hey Jeff,

Have I got a deal for you ;)

Kia with 120,000 on it - relatively new !!!! :D

And behind curtain #3..........:D

jcupp
03-27-2003, 08:40 PM
Yeah, that is almost new by my standards. I normally drive 'em till the wheels fall off, have 'em put back on and drive it some more. Unfortunatly the wheels always fall off 300 miles from home! Ever try to get a VW GTI fuel pump replaced on Easter weekend in Cleveland? Arrggh!