PDA

View Full Version : Displacement Maps Not Working

johnBeeby
11-30-2010, 08:04 AM
I've done A LOT of reading around and found many tutorials on displacing a flat plane with an image for creating terrain. Simple enough it seems and I have no issues following the tutorials.

My issue is the displacement isn't effecting the mesh whatsoever; either in my work stage nor in the render.

My steps:
1. Create a 10m x 10m flat plane mesh with 10x10 segments on the X and Z.
2. Hit Tab to turn it into a subdivision object.
3. Save and Send to Layout.
4. Highlight the plane object, enter the properties, and to the Deform tab.
5. I click the "T" to Displace the object which of course pops up a texture editor.
6. I add either an image map I have or a simple Turbulence Procedural.
7. The object remains flat with no displacement whatsoever.

Now an added monkey wrench in the cog wheel is that I just reinstalled Lightwave 9.6 after getting a new hard drive, so all my settings are at default.

Is there a setting that I need to take note of here?
Is there something I'm missing?

I've read many threads here and tutorials and the process seems easy, its just that the program isn't performing as it should. Being a novice with LW I thought the best thing would be to just ask you pros.

Thank you for your time and any help on the matter.

Sensei
11-30-2010, 08:37 AM
When I am doing what you described in points, I am getting displaced object..
So, pack scene & objects, and attach here, so we can load it on our systems to check it..

3DGFXStudios
11-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Yes let us check. We are good at checking! :D

johnBeeby
11-30-2010, 10:23 AM
I figured out what it was, to a degree.

Step 2 - Hit tab to subdivide the plane. - This was causing my mesh's individual polygons to divide in a very unusual way. Similar to 4-5 triangles within the 4 sided polygon.

I did all the steps above without subdividing and it worked as it should. I then saved it as a transformed model then subdivided and it looks as beautiful and as it should.

I guess that is really all there is to it, but my only wonder is why my subdivision produced unusual divisions in my original polygons.

Sensei
11-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Displacement can be done before sub-patch generation, or after. You pick up in Obj Properties window.