PDA

View Full Version : need help with virus/reinstall

rednova
11-29-2010, 01:54 PM
Dear Friends:

I was using my pc today, when my pc detected a trojan virus on
lightwave 8 -> modeler.exe
(but my lw 8 is legit for sure, dunno how the virus got there )
The antivirus deleted the threat but along with it my lw 8 modeler.exe was gone. Now my lightwave 8 modeler is not there anymore (but the layout.exe is still good )
Is it possible to delete all lightwave 8 files...then reinstall my original lightwave 8 ?
ANy considerations I need to be aware of ?
I have original cd's + dongle + serial number
please help me !!!

Rednova

3DGFXStudios
11-29-2010, 02:19 PM
What's lightwave8? Just kidding. ;) You can just reinstall it. I would delete the old lw folder completely and then install a fresh copy.

inquisitive
11-29-2010, 09:28 PM
I would suggest to perhaps try to remove Lightwave via the uninstall process. Then upgrade your virus checker to the latest, allow it to scan as deep as possible and check your whole HD (I know extreme - but technically when you get a virus you should reinstall the OS etc - major pain I know but only way to really be sure you are clean).

At some point reboot, and then install Lightwave again.

Silkrooster
11-30-2010, 11:48 PM
It is possible the virus program found a false positive. Due to the fact that lightwave uses the tcp/ip internet protocol to communicate between each program. You may wan to install a free scanner and double check for the virus.
But it won't hurt to remove the folder and reinstall lw either. Doing so will make sure the virus is gone if there is one.

Hopper
11-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Yes, the Hub communication has been known to cause all sorts of issues with anti-virus software and firewalls. Why NT decided to use IP instead of a named pipe I'll never know.