PDA

View Full Version : help with make spline patch

AngelDream
09-24-2003, 06:55 PM
Hi everyone, can someone help me? my "Make Spline Patch" doesn't seems to work properly. I've built the curves and they share the ending points but when I select 'em and want to turn them into a cage "Make Spline Patch" is not highlighted. For any reason could be the plugin damaged? I've already made a scan for all the plugins and it stills doesn't work. My LW is v7.0 Thanks in advance.

Integrity
09-24-2003, 08:13 PM
At the moment all that I can think of to help you is to ask you if you have selected them in either a clockwise or counter-clockwise order. And also if you have only selected four curves. Spline Patches as far as I know will only work with four curves. Hope that helps.

[email protected]

tburbage
09-24-2003, 08:58 PM
Just guessing -- but as a sanity check deselect everything, then select just the curves using the statistic panel, then copy/paste them to an empty layer. Try again.

Sometimes in Modeler when an operation just won't work where you are pretty sure it should, or produces really unexpected results, the cause is stray geometry like single points, single point polygons, "doubled" geometry, etc.

If you select the (3 or 4) curves (which together form a closed shape) in order regardless of direction, the Make Spline Patch dialog should come up. Try Ctrl+F (its default keyboard assignment). If the curves don't cross properly, Modeler will display a message saying that's the problem.

AngelDream
09-25-2003, 10:02 AM
thanks, I've used the Ctrl+F and I got that it only worked with 3 or more curves. Later, when I had my three curves I tried it and it worked! Nevertheless, sometimes it doesn't work properly saying that "Curves do not cross properly" or somezin' alike. What can I do?

tburbage
09-25-2003, 09:32 PM
If it says they don't cross properly, the curves don't share points at the "corners" of the patch. The 3 or 4 curves have to form a closed shape and the "corner" (intersection) points should be merged/welded.

File this link away:

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/modelling_basics.htm

There are a number of good tutorials on this topic there.

Larry Schultz has a free QuickTime tut here:
http://www.splinegod.com/onlinetraining.htm

AngelDream
09-26-2003, 11:50 AM
Thanks a lot tburbage. After reading the manual I knew that curves must share a point, but sometimes it doesn't work like I thought it would do. Never mind, it's just part of the job, there would be no fun be if it was so easy. Thanks again.