PDA

View Full Version : Animation decceleration

Tony3d
11-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Hi all, I'm new to using Lightwaves animation tools. I'm currently trying to animate sections of a cable cutaway moving out each section then having it slow down to a stop. The problem is I'm getting weird motions like the section will overshoot then pull back a bit. How does one get a smooth acceleration and smooth deceleration to a dead stop. Thanks for your help.

hrgiger
11-28-2010, 07:06 PM
This is because of way animation curves in Lightwave work. You have to go into the graph editor and adjust the tension of the curve of the channel that is overshooting. It will give you a curve that eases in or eases out smoothly.

cresshead
11-29-2010, 05:46 AM
set the tension to 1

Tony3d
11-29-2010, 06:48 AM
set the tension to 1

Do I select all channels of the object? Do I do this to the ease in and out?

cresshead
11-29-2010, 07:48 AM
if you can hang on until i get back home i'll post you a vid on this to youtube:thumbsup:

Tony3d
11-29-2010, 07:55 AM
if you can hang on until i get back home i'll post you a vid on this to youtube:thumbsup:

Oh wow, that wouldn't great as I starting this tomorrow. Thanks much.

Skonk
11-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Defo one of the situations where it's infinitely easier to show you than it is to try to explain it in words :)

cresshead
11-29-2010, 02:51 PM
uploading the vid to youtube now!
hope it helps!

should be done processing in a few mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcFLXx57LxQ

it's live now!

scarabrae
11-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Cheers cresshead...just watched this. Thanks for taking the time.

Tony3d
11-29-2010, 04:06 PM
uploading the vid to youtube now!
hope it helps!

should be done processing in a few mins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcFLXx57LxQ

it's live now!

That was extremely helpful! Works great! Thanks so much. Perhaps you could help with just one more thing. I need to move the different sections of the cable out one section at a time till all sections are revealed. Problem is there are about 15 different section. They all need to move out setting each layer from the biggest to the small center fibers at the same time. So all 15 layers move, the outer most stays at it's position then they all move again till the next layer reaches it's resting position, and so on. I thought I could just parent all layers to null then unparent each one as the reach there position, but they jump to where they were in modeler. Is there anyway I can move all layers, then leave each one were it needs to be? Otherwise I'll need to set each one into position.

cresshead
11-29-2010, 04:47 PM
if i understand you correctly, you wan to move keys around on lots of objects...that'll be a task for the dope sheet in the scene editor.