PDA

View Full Version : Problem with subdividing

khato
11-28-2010, 02:14 PM
As I had been working on a model, I realized that I had a lot of overlapping verts. To fix it I tried merging with a distance of 0. It gets rid of the verts, but the model no longer catmull subdivides into a smooth model. There are also a parts of the model that spike. Am I not suppose to use the merge tool for this problem? also I've noticed lines appearing in renders along edges I try to merge shut. The help would be greatly appreciated :help:.

Kuzey
11-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Catmull can be buggy....it's best to stick with subpatch.

Kuzey

khato
11-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Yeah that will work. I modeled it in catmull so its going to need a little tweaking, but thanks.

Sensei
11-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Delete any 1-2 points polygons. They're affecting Catmull-Clark Sub-Patches..
And install latest LW, just in case to find things fixed.. ;) (and remember to redirect config directory with -c parameter, if you want to keep v9.3 installed)

I am always using CC, just because when you cut such patch to 5 or more n-gon, it's not disappearing in black hole.. Regular Sub-Patch requires constantly switching back and forth, in such situations..

meshpig
11-29-2010, 01:39 AM
As I had been working on a model, I realized that I had a lot of overlapping verts. To fix it I tried merging with a distance of 0. It gets rid of the verts, but the model no longer catmull subdivides into a smooth model. There are also a parts of the model that spike. Am I not suppose to use the merge tool for this problem? also I've noticed lines appearing in renders along edges I try to merge shut. The help would be greatly appreciated :help:.

Merge tool is fine, just remember that Catmull Clarke doesn't like 2 point polys as regular Subpatching doesn't like +4 polys.

The "pinching" is usually because you have a quad stuck in between 2 points along an edge which is why often if you shift I (unify) it doesn't detect it.

- Deleting one of the adjacent polygons and merging the selected points usually solves the problem. Nothing buggy about it:)

Kuzey
11-29-2010, 03:40 AM
Merge tool is fine, just remember that Catmull Clarke doesn't like 2 point polys as regular Subpatching doesn't like +4 polys.

Haha....it would be great if you get an error message like you do in subpatch mode...when your model has 2 point polys or n-gons. :D

Kuzey

meshpig
11-29-2010, 03:49 AM
Haha....it would be great if you get an error message like you do in subpatch mode...when your model has 2 point polys or n-gons. :D

Kuzey

You do but you have to also watch for "legit" quads which often cause the pinching:)

Kuzey
11-29-2010, 04:06 AM
I stand corrected...hehe :hey:

Kuzey