PDA

View Full Version : Problem importing Daz obj into Lightwave

Mr Rid
11-26-2010, 01:45 AM
When I load a Daz 3 exported obj into LW, it is mysteriously loading image maps several times over- once for each surface that uses the same map. So if ten different surfaces use image 'Head', then image 'Head' will load into LW ten times and each instance has the same name(?!). I dont know how LW can even do this, since there is no way to load any single image file more than once. The image editor is also failing to group the multiple image instances in alphabetical order.

So the problem is that several hi res maps are loading many times over to squander ram and load time, and if I edit an image map in say PShop then I have to replace each instance of the image individually. I cant find any way to fix this stupid problem, and condense the redundant image instances into one instance without doing a tedious, surface by surface repair on dozens of surfaces.

I assume there is something odd about the mtl file written out of Daz that LW isnt reading right? Once again, am wondering how I can be the only person to encounter this.

prometheus
11-26-2010, 03:21 AM
Your not the only one, It´s the same for me, havent thought much about it thou, since I was only fooling around with it, Im gonna check it out a little bit more when I get home around 6 hours from now.

I beleive it´s probably something how lightwave loads those mtl materials in.

Michael

prometheus
11-26-2010, 03:50 AM
I just tested to import the very same obj imported to lightwave and imported to deep exploration, saved out as lwo and voila, only those image maps needed are there, no instances.

Im gonna check it out some more thou, with export from deep exploration to obj format as well.

Michael

Mr Rid
11-26-2010, 07:35 PM
I have an ancient version of DE I'll have to dredge up, if it will work. I tried loading in Blender which I dont know how to use, but it appears to load with no textures (appears solid white in texture view) and in a bunch of pieces which I cant figure out how to combine import or to 'select all' to export. But when I export a piece of the model out of Blender and load in LW it has no maps so I dont think obj maps are loading in Blender.

Mr Rid
11-26-2010, 09:23 PM
DE is working, thanx P.

prometheus
11-27-2010, 05:09 AM
DE is working, thanx P.

Great:thumbsup:

I use deep exploration at work to do the convertions of solidworks gym machine constructions, exporting to obj wich I have found to be the best.
Deep exploration is great to do resurfacing, instead of using a stl importer without surface properties.

Otherwise I would have to select many different parts in Lightwave, and use select connected to resurface wich could end up in wrong parts selected.
It works like a charm to select in deep exporation either by direct clicking parts and merge materials or by item lists.

Ps you might have to correct smoothing angles in lightwave thou, Ivé noticed som poly artifacts when it´s exported, but just tweak the smoothing angles and it should go away.

Michael

Mr Rid
11-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Never had this problem with obj exported from Daz 2 or 1.

With a few Daz models I have had to change the Vertex Normal Map mode selected for the surfaces.

The DE exported model I am using actually imports into LW in a zillion layers but is no prob to collapse in Modeler. And it has to be pitched -90, and scaled to 1%. I cant select 'Lightwave' anymore in Daz 3 without it disabling the 'collect maps' option, and then the obj winds up with no surfaces for some reason.

I also usually need to merge points and triple non-planars on Daz models. And I regularly get some odd, sharp poly edge shading on figures and have to adjust the shadow offset a bit.

prometheus
11-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Havent installed deep exploration here at home yet..

Have you tried exporting out in obj format, and change grid axis to y in deep exploration, that will export out obj with a correct rotation, and obj format should export to true scale without you having to change It in lightwave.

Don´t know about how the textures exports out thou, it might be the same thing once trying to load and you´ll end up with instance images again.

try it out and see.

Michael

LW_Will
11-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Also, load object into Lightwave, select surfaces by UV (usually there are maps to be found in DAZ3D.com) and copy UV map... bam,UV's separated...

QED

Mr Rid
11-27-2010, 10:01 PM
...Have you tried exporting out in obj format, and change grid axis to y in deep exploration, that will export out obj with a correct rotation, and obj format should export to true scale without you having to change It in lightwave...

Michael

Mmm, this DE version is from 2002, I dont see a change grid option(?). But I can just tap R in Modeler to correct. The scale was wrong coming out of Daz. You have to enable 'collect maps' in order for the mtl and surfaces to export. But Daz 3 will not allow you to select the 'Lightwave' preset for scale and rotation and allow you to enable 'collect maps' at the same time for some dumb reason (again, was not a problem in Daz 2,1). So instead I just have to set the scale manually and save a new 'LW' preset that includes 'collect maps.'

Its nice the model then loads up with all the maps (did not do this with Daz 2,1 export). But I also always batch convert the maps to 8-bit in PShop to crush the memory down to a third. To replace the maps in LW all at once, I rename the folder containing the old maps so LW prompts when it cant find them at the next object load, then redirect to the folder with the new maps. But then I run into another very annoying problem of late where LW hangs for about a minute when it cant locate an image or object. What is up with that? I'm pretty sure this started with 9.6. I wondered if it was a Windows 7/Vista thing but it also happens in Win 2K.

But every time they upgrade Daz, things break. Some old scenes, poses or morphs suddenly dont work as before, and the export always throws a new curveball.

Mr Rid
02-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Am trying to convert Daz obj's in DE v6.3, but am noticing that DE is failing to apply or copy over maps other than color. Bump, reflect, etc have to be manually re-applied. There may be an obscure setting I am missing, but I dont think so.

But then I have still never seen any 3D conversion app/plug work fully. There is always a glitch.

prometheus
02-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Am trying to convert Daz obj's in DE v6.3, but am noticing that DE is failing to apply or copy over maps other than color. Bump, reflect, etc have to be manually re-applied. There may be an obscure setting I am missing, but I dont think so.

But then I have still never seen any 3D conversion app/plug work fully. There is always a glitch.

Aha..I haven´t had the time to work with daz and exporting etc, and our stuff from solidworks that I export don´t need that, but have you not checked the export setting for obj?..next to objects to save, you have the settings button and within that the texture maps tab to save textures
and keep original textures format.

I guess youvé already looked at that, Im afraid thou that manually remapping is the only way for the moment,

Michael

Mr Rid
02-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks, yes I tried keeping originals or copying new images out of DE. Only one model copied over a bump map but it was all gray, and am not sure what was going on there.

Daz 2 obj exports dont have problems, but 2 doesnt always work for other reasons. I opened a mat file out of Daz 2 in wordpad, and compared to the same out of Daz 3 and I dont see a significant difference.

Am also frustrated at FBX export from Daz which surprisingly works for the most part except the UVs are lost for some reason. I think the 'FBX_OBJ' export is what I need, but that option only freezes Daz.

I just wish anything worked the way it should. I never have time to troubleshoot in the middle of projects. Conversion glitches are a triple mess (what combo of Daz, LW & DE is it?), and support can never adequately cover the other apps. I posted on the Daz forums as well, but no answers.

prometheus
02-16-2011, 02:24 AM
yeah fbx and collada is a mess, I wish poser was a little more developed with
supplying subdivision figures and tools or content with a lower poly count mesh control etc.

Poser could use a good rework of the interface too, seems to be halted since many years, and the smithmicro marketing and showcasing of posers
features are absolutly horrible in my mind.

Have you considered using the lwo format(if that´s not what you used?)
in the help files it says you can use export extra wich should save out
diffuse,bump,specular maps and emission maps.

I haven´t tested that much or not at all as I can recall.:stumped:

Here´s an excerpt from the Deep Exploration 6,2 help files..

LightWave 3D Binary and Object Export (.lwo, .lw)
You can save files to the LightWave 3D Binary and Object (.lwo, .lw) formats:

LightWave 3D Object file format (object file format of LightWave 5.6). Texture coordinates are saved to .uv files.
LightWave 3D Object file format 2 (object file format of LightWave 6.0). Each object is stored as a separate layer.
For further information on using files, please see Opening Files, Importing Files, and Saving Files.

"Support
Animation including field of view, object transparency, and light colors.
Limitations
Files with more than 65535 points end faces cannot be saved as version 5.6 of this format.
Interface

Common—Used to establish the common settings.

Version—Saves the file as the selected LightWave version.
Export SubDs—Used to establish subdivision control mesh object settings.
Final mesh—Creates a highly detailed and a high polygon count mesh.
Control mesh—Creates a low detailed, low polygon count mesh. This mesh is subdividable.
Control mesh using PTCH chunk—Creates a low detail, low polygon count mesh. The mesh is structured with the Subdivision patches (PTCH) chunk.
LightWave 5.6—Saves the model as a LightWave version 5.6 file.
Note: If the file has more than 65535 points end faces, it is automatically saved as version 6.0 of the format regardless of your selection.

Create .uv files—Creates and saves .uv files.
Export UVs using chunks—Saves all (u,v) texture coordinates that are assigned to polygon vertices. The UV coordinates are saved according to the UVIM and UVCV chunks.
LightWave 6.0—Saves the model as a LightWave version 6.0 file.
Export UVs—Saves any (u,v) texture coordinates that are assigned to polygon vertices.
Use discontinuous UVs—Uses discontinuous (u,v) texture coordinates. That is, additional points are not created for points that have the same UV values.
Note: We recommend using this for LightWave versions 6.5 and higher.

Export extra maps—Saves diffuse, bump, specular, and emissions maps.
Process Control—Used to establish the common settings for the exporting of extremely large files.

Isolate Export Process—Indicates whether Isolate Process is used to export models; that is, a new single process is started to export the model.
Default—Isolate Process is used by default.
Never—Isolate Process is never used.
Always—Isolate Process is always used."

Michael

Padowan
02-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Mr. Rid, Have you started using Daz Studio Advanced 3, rather than Poser Pro, or in addition to it?

Just curious.

I have LW 9.6, Poser Pro 2010, Daz SA 3, Carrara Pro 8, and Vue Infinite 7.5

I've had good pretty good results with Vue Inf 7.5, LW 9.6, and Poser Pro 7...but now PP 2010 won't work with Vue...and Core is on the way...

prometheus
02-17-2011, 02:16 AM
Mr. Rid, Have you started using Daz Studio Advanced 3, rather than Poser Pro, or in addition to it?

Just curious.

I have LW 9.6, Poser Pro 2010, Daz SA 3, Carrara Pro 8, and Vue Infinite 7.5

I've had good pretty good results with Vue Inf 7.5, LW 9.6, and Poser Pro 7...but now PP 2010 won't work with Vue...and Core is on the way...

Blahh...poser pro 2010 not working with vue, what a bummer..welcome
to the new version update hell:(

There´s always something destroyed everywhere with new software with new stuff isn´t it, sketchup 8 got it´s collada broken and not working for lightwave etc.

That´s somekind of what I would call a software Babylon Dilemma, everyone trying to build newer and better software to reach the ultimate peak in the heavens, but that goal will never be accomplished since they all have different languages, and in this case software languages.
But who can be surprised, we see this stuff daily in politics,religion over
country boarders, and even between woman and man.

Isn´t there a google 3d translate somewhere? :D

Michael

Padowan
02-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Blahh...poser pro 2010 not working with vue, what a bummer..welcome
to the new version update hell...

Absolutely!...

I had a pretty good thing going, with the LW 9.6, Vue Inf 7.5, and Poser Pro 7...now I'm having to consider upgrading Vue, so I can use Poser Pro 2010 with LW Core and Vue...another $395.00, to continue in the "Babylon" race!..

One hope I have, is using Poser Pro 2010, opening the scene in Poser Pro 7, and then being able to import into Vue Inf 7.5...and hopefully LW Core.

I did this yesterday, just goofing around at lunch - that is, working in Poser 8, loading the scene in Poser Pro 7, and then importing into Vue Inf 7.5...

See what you think...