PDA

View Full Version : Panoramic Cameras and Focal Length

JBT27
11-24-2010, 02:31 PM
I shot a panorama on location and need to match that in LW.

I've got the specs for the pano, along with measurements to key points in the scene so I can build a replica in LW.

However, I reckon I'm missing something with this because I'm using the UberCam Panoramic Camera (from Liberty3D) but only have Horizontal FOV, then Upper and Lower FOV ...

Surely focal length plays a part, in the distortion ... or does it?

The pano was shot with a 56mm focal length, according to the EXIF data, then stitched with AutoPano Giga 2.0, which reports on the FOV for the pano once assembled.

Another LW pano camera - Panoramic Camera 0.1.5 - doesn't allow focal length to be set either.

So does focal length matter or not? And if so, can anyone suggest how I might tackle this?

Thanks.

Julian.

Lightwolf
11-24-2010, 03:45 PM
It doesn't really. CG panorama cameras render the whole sweep from a single point and thus have no focal length.

Cheers,
Mike

JBT27
11-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Thanks.

So shooting multiple photos then stitching is pretty much the same as a dedicated panorama camera, no matter what lens you stick on the front?

I guess I get that. To achieve a given panorama FOV, you would need more photos with a longer lens than with a wider lens, but presumably when stitched the FOV and cylindrical distortion (say) is the same ...

Julian.

Lightwolf
11-25-2010, 08:26 AM
So shooting multiple photos then stitching is pretty much the same as a dedicated panorama camera, no matter what lens you stick on the front?

Pretty much, as long as DoF doesn't come into play.

Cheers,
Mike

JBT27
11-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Thanks Mike.

No DoF involved - just an infinity focussed pano that I need to match in LW!

Julian.