PDA

View Full Version : What book? Albee or Gorden?

vector
11-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Hi:

Iīm sorry for one of them but I only can buy one of these books :(

http://www.amazon.com/LightWave-Cartoon-Character-Creation-Animation/dp/1556222548/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/LightWave-3D-8-Character-Animation/dp/1556220995

I canīt see inside all the pages I would like so I must trust in you... what book do you prefeer?

Vector

RebelHill
11-24-2010, 11:48 AM
well, the rigging sections of both books are somewhat outdated now due to changes in LWs IK system, plus additions to the constraints... so really it has to come down to the animation part, for which, the Albee book is far more thorough.

zapper1998
11-24-2010, 01:45 PM
I would wait a little bit till next year should be some newer books out with the updated character rigging

vector
11-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Thatīs what Iīm afraid: outdated... but there is no book about it... and now, With LW 10 coming I think there will be no book about LW 9.6 character animation.

Thanks again, Rebelhill

Vector

EDITED: I have just read the zapper1998 post, you are right... LW 10 too close :)

RebelHill
11-24-2010, 02:12 PM
well again... its just the rigging stuff thats been updated, and altered... Character animation in terms of principles is no different than it was 60 yrs ago... and the character animation tools in LW itself, things like dopesheet, dopetrack, graph editor moethods, etc, etc, havent changed since v8, so all that stuff in the Albee book is still good and will continue to be in 10, as there's no new tools in that regard on the ticket.

Also, the rigging tools havent changed in 10 from 9.6 really... so if its books on the rigging stuff you're after, for 9.6 or 10 Im not sure how much there's gonna be... cos there havent been ANY books on the subject since those for v8, and to date, my stuffs the only thing there is to cover the current crop of tools for rigging.

vector
11-24-2010, 02:44 PM
OK... itīs evident I'm not a hardcore member :) so I donīt know anything about rigging in LW 10. I have worked as 2D animator for 10 years but rigging became interesting for me recently ( I used to work with LW just for modeling and texturing) so I need a basic book for beginners... later I will take a look to your rigging tutorials that look great ;) so your opinion is important for me. Thanks again.

Vector

RebelHill
11-24-2010, 05:45 PM
thanks,i try my best.

as for 10 and HC... the new features and enhancements have been published publicly for LW10, and there's no mentoin of new rigging featues. And whilst its gonna be fair to expect some updates or refinements to whats in 9.6, there's nothing to suggest an expectation as different as the changes from <9.5 to 9.6+.

Same with the CA tools, nothing new's been billed there either... so the albee book should be still fair for that aspect. And some of the rigging stuff in there will still be useful... the buttons to push to setup a basic IK chain, for instance, hasnt changed, the interface is the same... some of the fixes for popping or flipping may not work quite the same in 9,6+ but the reasons why you use them are covered well enough... so it still helps you get to grips from basics with some of the beginners approach to rigging stuff, so its not like theres nothing to be gleaned either.

Kavadni
11-24-2010, 06:11 PM
I can recommend RH's Training Videos, as someone picking up lightwave having not touched it since LW5.5

As a reference to character animation principles, I am using an older book by Doug Kelly on LW6. As others have said, the principles haven't changed.

Also note if you purchased LW10 you will soon be getting a free DVD on rigging in 10

Kevin

akademus
11-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Albee! If you have to choose between the two...

vector
11-25-2010, 12:06 AM
OK. Thanks, friends:

"Timothy, I'm coming" :)

Vector